PDA

View Full Version : My X-box Already Broke

klcangel
11-19-2001, 02:01 AM
I was so freaking excited to get my x-box on the 15th, i wasn't able to play it till the 16th cause of work. but i got to play it on the 16th and i was very impressed with the NHL blizt or hits or whatever it is. I was playing and it froze the game. so i thought i would just turn it off and go eat. When i came back i turned it on and it popped up with a message to call customer support. So i did and they said they will send me a box, then i call a 1-800 # and someone comes and picks it up. Then they take it to their shop and they are going to have to rebuild the hard drive. and then send it back. :confused: im so **** sad, i want to play it so so so so so so bad.

I hope the one i ordered from compusa comes soon. This one was actually one that i got for my bro for christmas and couldn't wait for mine to come in so i broke it open, NOT LITERALY. and now i guess i will have to wait even long to play
:mad:

CyberBOMB
11-19-2001, 02:41 AM
hey man you cant lose your faith over something like this. Ask yourself this, how many ps2's are defective each year? 1? 2? bull**** i worked at toys r us and would get 1 or 2 a week. I played my xbox for about 15 hours straight with no rest and it showed no slowdown what-so-ever.

Plasticman
11-19-2001, 06:15 AM
Don't you just love people who try to discredit the Xbox??!! It seems like people go around saying they heard that other people have had problems, when there's nothing like it. I've had my Xbox for a week+ and I've had no problems. It has become a fad to use malfunctions as a way to atrack an image of a console ever since the PS was plagued with them.

Criz
11-19-2001, 08:30 AM
Why are only newbies with 1 or 2 posts having problems with their xbox?... Seems kind of suspicious that no long term members here have had these kinds of problems...

I'm not calling this guy a lier, but i see a great possibility of it.

MikeWiz
11-19-2001, 09:01 AM
Usually this is what happens. If anything is going to happen to your xbox, it will happen during the first week or so. If it doesn't your cool. This is the same thought for PCs, especially hard drives.
I've gotten the same comments from some kids who work at compusa. They bad mouth xbox like anything.

PurpleShamrock
11-19-2001, 09:07 AM
Wow this is weird.

blueknight
11-19-2001, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't get too excited. Things break all the time. It just gets magnified when you go to a forum because people come for help. There are thousands of people who haven't had a problem. I also find it wierd that most of the posts I have seen are from people with one post. (not just on this board but others) It's unfortunate it's happening but all products have glitches. Keep us informed if you or anyone has these types of problems. It indeed is interesting.

BK

scarecrow kfj
11-19-2001, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by klcangel
I was so freaking excited to get my x-box on the 15th, i wasn't able to play it till the 16th cause of work. but i got to play it on the 16th and i was very impressed with the NHL blizt or hits or whatever it is. I was playing and it froze the game. so i thought i would just turn it off and go eat. When i came back i turned it on and it popped up with a message to call customer support. So i did and they said they will send me a box, then i call a 1-800 # and someone comes and picks it up. Then they take it to their shop and they are going to have to rebuild the hard drive. and then send it back. :confused: im so **** sad, i want to play it so so so so so so bad.

I hope the one i ordered from compusa comes soon. This one was actually one that i got for my bro for christmas and couldn't wait for mine to come in so i broke it open, NOT LITERALY. and now i guess i will have to wait even long to play
:mad:

The x-box guy said other people have had this problem already, it sucks, kind of lowers my faith in x-box

Well this is messed up.

1)dont know what the game is called? ehh kind of weird but give the benifit of the doubt.
2) Some one came and picked it up from your / his house?
3) MS is going to send you a new one yet the guy who picked it up is going to fix it and send it back?
4) you played the one for your bro and you have yours being mailed.. why not get them both at the same place?

Hmmm it might be just me but I think this one is a phony

l Maximus l
11-19-2001, 11:36 AM
I smell dog dung...this guy is a fake. What a pathetic attempt!

If your story is true and you are truly losing your desire for the XBox because you purchased one of the very few defective ones, then go buy a LameCube and leave the XBox so a serious gamer can play :rolleyes:

Gammer4Life
11-19-2001, 02:02 PM
I don't know, stuff like that makes me glad i bought a 2 year replacement plan. Never know what the heck just might happen so you better be ready. On other electronic things i have purchased messed up and i couldn't return them because i was to ignorant to buy a replacement plan, but know I do, just for pucautions and stuff like what the guy who started the thread did. On my xbox when I turned it on i set the clock and all of that stuff, and when i unpluged it and brung it to my friends house it made me put the date back in it again, i got scared and thought something happend to my hard drive and hurried up and checked my memory, thank god everthing was still there. "I think if you unplug the xbox it may reset the clock but it should have a lithium battery in it" i don't know but that is what happend to me. I sure hope that the system is not defective, I want the xbox to keep progressing

mojo__31
11-19-2001, 02:24 PM
I work for Western Digital who makes drives for the Xbox, and I tried to tell people on these forums ahead of time, that because the Xbox has a hard drive, it is more likely to have problems than other consoles. With 800,000 Xboxs shipped, you can expect about 3% to have failures of some type fairly soon, its the nature of electronics and computers. Nothing to be alarmed about, but I would recommend the 2 year extended warranty on the Xbox, just call them to order it for $50.

scarecrow kfj
11-19-2001, 02:27 PM
I only had to set the clock once and I braught to a friends house and everything. No shut downs nothing this way. Has anyone who has posted here for a while had problems?

thedrisc
11-19-2001, 02:49 PM
Not a single problem. I brought it over my friend’s house because he has surround sound and the power went out. Man was I nervous then. It shut the xbox down in the middle of playing doa3. When the power came back up I turned the xbox back on and to my relief it was running the same as before (solid as a rock).

klcangel
11-19-2001, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by scarecrow kfj

Well this is messed up.

1)dont know what the game is called? ehh kind of weird but give the benifit of the doubt.
2) Some one came and picked it up from your / his house?
3) MS is going to send you a new one yet the guy who picked it up is going to fix it and send it back?
4) you played the one for your bro and you have yours being mailed.. why not get them both at the same place?

Hmmm it might be just me but I think this one is a phony

let see
1) i just rented the game at hastings cause it was either that or football left and i didn't want to get up and look at the freaking game
2)The service guy said that they will send a box, when i get the box i call a 1-800 # and their courier service will come and pick up the package and take it to their place to fix it. After it is working again, they will send it back to me through UPS.
3)I never said MS was sending me another one.
4)I ordered mine back in Sept. from CompUSA, then on nov. 15th I decided to buy my brother one for christmas cause Target had one left when i got there.

If you don't believe me call 1-800-4my-xbox and then press 1 then press 3 and talk to the person. Ask him what it means if the indicator light is flashing green and RED. it will pop up a message in about 6 different languges and it tells you to call x box customer support. I asked them if anyone else has had this problem and he said that a few people have.

klcangel
11-19-2001, 04:09 PM
well, i still love the x-box, I would have been very disappointed in them if they would have made me pay for it. I just want to play so bad, cause even that hockey game i rented was awesome, with at least 3 fights a game and other stuff to make it really awesome. I guess i just got impatient with not being able to play. But im not bad mouthing the x-box in anyway. I would still buy another one if i had a reason to.

can't wait for some more games

viridian
11-19-2001, 05:08 PM
HERES THE DEAL ON THIS

its true that not every product off the assembly line will work. you have to take this with a gran of salt. take tvs....so much can go wrong in a new set. some last 5 years. some last 10. some last 20. there is no guarantee that nothing will go wrong. and you have to realize that the persons that are acutally haveing problems are very likely to post this. and the thousands of ppl that are in xbox bliss without a hitch arent going to bother posting.."hey you will not believe it..i just paided 300$ for an xbox and it actually works!" they dont post because they expect it to work. and so should everyone that buys one. so thats what the manufacture warrentys are for.

i dont know how the xbox manufacturer warrenty is as i never bothered to look. but you certainly dont need a replacment plan . save your money. if by bad luck you have a lemon...you can allways get another xbox . 50$ extra extended warrentys are useless. the chances are that if your xbox does not break in the first month or year or whatever your xbox warrenty does for you, it wont break in the next 3 years. it very well might break after that....but its proven that the lengh of coverage by extra warrentys are hardly used. if its going to break, chances are it will sometime after your extra warrentys expire. they count on that. thats why its not longer than a few years of extra coverage. but if the peace of mind is worth 50$ then by all means get it. personally if mine should break i would want a factory fresh one and take my chances with that new one. im not shipping it all over the us and having it broken more. i would rather spend the extra money on a game. dont forget that the cost of the console will drop by at least half over the next 5 years. maybe even to 100$ at the end. why spend 50$ now that will not be of any use to you.

and yes hard drive in particular break more so then some things. but they are the coolest things. its worth haveing one as opposed to leaving it out for this reason. my tivo hard drive recorder is cooler than a dvd player. there are sooo many things a hard drive can do. gamers dont realise just what a change in gameing it will bring just yet.

that said i wish microsoft made the hard drive removable. it would be easy to take your music and saves over to another house without buying a memory card. sony does have an advantage in that if the hard drive breaks you can just buy another one and not a whole new ps2. but then again the ps2 and hard drive and internet adapter is wayyy more than the cost of an xbox. so take the good with the bad. buy a new xbox if yours breaks . the real expensive part is in the games anyway. the system seems expensive because you have to pay alot at once. but look at your collections..i guarentee there is more money in your games then in your systems. and the games dont go bad unless you scratch them. i wish they made dvds and games in hard shell protection cases like minidiscs.

SciFi
11-19-2001, 05:19 PM
well, i did get a defective munch game... :(

Rochey69r
11-20-2001, 12:25 AM
thats a shame dude

klcangel
11-20-2001, 12:49 AM
how did you know your game was defective?

viridian
11-20-2001, 01:10 AM
well if your disc worked when you got it then you know it wont go bad. but if its burned wrong in the first place thats another story. nothing short of a replacement disc will turn that frown upside down. dont clean it wrong and scratch her!

SciFi
11-20-2001, 01:36 AM
It worked fine till i got to the first level where you play with munch and abe together(forget name, but i think it was mudokon pens, it starts after the "big well" movie). The first time, i was even on the level, and abe got to learn how to "posses" the bad guys. but suddenly it frozze. it was late so i just took the game out and turned the xbox off. the next day i tied to play it again, after beating the snoozer level again, i got past the movie. But when the loading screen went up for that level, it frozze again. I tried wipeing the disc, and replaying the snoozer level (again), but it still it didn't work. I called the hotline and they said to simply replace it.

viridian
11-20-2001, 01:47 AM
its quite possible that if there is something wrong it will still play and be prone to crashing. in rare intances its the programers fault. but highly unlikly they would let it ship like that. unless your midway...couff couff. it might also be dust on the lens dust on the disc...moisture on the lens...or a bad disc burn. experiment....starting with a new game. i am trying to get rid of oddworld is thats the game. wanna trade?