PDA

View Full Version : 50,000+ Blocks free and they do mean PLUS

Tazilla
11-19-2001, 04:06 AM
1 data block is equal to about 16K of memory,... 50,000 blocks only adds up to about 800 Megabites,...
:eek:
You are going to have one he||uva time trying to get the 50,000+ blocks messages to start couting down,... unless I'm am just totally frickin drunk,.. The Xbox has about 500,000+ Blocks free,..

Uh,.. I need another beer I think,.. that made my head hurt,...

Marc
11-19-2001, 10:22 AM
Huh?

l Maximus l
11-19-2001, 10:51 AM
All I know is that I saved about 40 tracks from CDs so I can listen to my tunes while playing PGR (this option is so amazing!!! Makes the game even better than it already is!!!) and I also have saved games on the hard-drive and....dudes! I haven't even put a dent in the hard-drive yet! I still have "50,000+" blocks! Oh yeah...it's nice :D

Hugh_Jass
11-19-2001, 11:57 AM
Are you certain that MS uses the same terminology for blocks between PCs and the XBox? I have no idea.

I am certain that I heard somewhere that the songs are ripped at 128K. That probably means 1M/minute of ripped music. 40 songs would only occupy about 120M out of 8G. You should be able to rip at least 2500 songs before the XBox runs out of room. :)

l Maximus l
11-19-2001, 12:19 PM
I know...you gotta love the hard-drive and playing music while playing games like PGR (I understand that you can do the same thing with Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding - I'm getting this game next).

For some reason, my memory still says "50,000+ blocks" are still remaining out of "50,000+ blocks" even after I have downloaded 40 CD tracks and several game saves. 8 Gigs is a lot of memory! lol...I think it will take me a few years to gobble it all up and by then we will probably have the ability to expand the hard-drive if need be :)

terrapin
11-19-2001, 12:43 PM
I am so confused. I was under the impression that the 50,000 blocks was for game saves only and that songs and downloadable extras were stored in another section. Does anyone know for sure?

Sachile_
11-19-2001, 12:50 PM
yah, that is confusing the hel out a me to! mabey "50,000+ blocks free" is just there to look pritty :)

l Maximus l
11-19-2001, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by terrapin
I am so confused. I was under the impression that the 50,000 blocks was for game saves only and that songs and downloadable extras were stored in another section. Does anyone know for sure?

Dude, if "50,000+ blocks of memory" doesn't mean the hard-drive memory, then what else would it mean? And, if that was only meant for game saves and not copying CDs, then, where else would you store this data? It's obvious that it is the hard-drive.

Tazilla
11-19-2001, 03:25 PM
The HDD holds the music and saved games all in blocks,.. if you look in the memory section of your dash board you will see you sound track(s) block usage,... and your saved game(s) block usage,... and it is very easy to understand what size a data block is,... below is a link at xbox.com that explains aboutthe memory,...

http://www.xbox.com/system/dashboard101.htm

quote taken from Xbox.com
Memory

You wanted space? Xbox got space! You can manage the memory on the Xbox Hard Disk and on the Memory Card. This includes viewing, moving and deleting stored files. The disk is separated into two parts - for your use and for game caching. With the game cache you've got smoother gameplay—and you'll notice the difference.

The Xbox uses blocks as a storage unit to boil everything down to one easy number. (For geeks like us, a data block is 16K of memory). But how do all of these Gigs and Megs translate into blocks? How many is 50,000+? A whole heck of a lot!

The Hard Disk also records what game you've played -making a library of game information, even if the game itself doesn't support saves or using the data cache. So you can keep track of games you've played, and the library files can be removed like any other file.

here is another quote about music
Music

This is one of the coolest features of Xbox. Xbox plays audio CDs. Xbox records CDs. You can organize your music into customized soundtracks for playback. And with many Xbox titles, you can play your soundtracks as the music for the game. Unbelievable!

The tracks are recorded at 128kbit, 16-bit stereo quality. The music is normalized so that the volume is consistent from track to track (who wants to adjust the volume in the middle of a game?). To use your custom soundtrack with your game, check the game sound settings, and read the CD recording article for more info.

now knowing MS like I do,.. (I have watched them grow up, I grew up with them actually,...)
the file format for the music is WMA not MP3,.. I am trying to confirm that at this moment though,.. but I do feel that it is correct,..

so in closing,.. 8GB's of HDD space would equal about 500,000+ blocks,.. plenty of room for gobs of music and save games,.. and I do mean GOBS

l Maximus l
11-19-2001, 04:17 PM
I'm about ready to have "GOBS" of beer :D

terrapin
11-19-2001, 04:45 PM
thanks tazilla. I wasn't sure how the harddrive was divided up.

Maximus I believe you miss understood my post. I was referring to the hard drive being split into sections where gave saves and user files (ie songs and downloads) are exclusive of each other and saving 200 songs should reduced the "sound track usage" and not affect the "saved game usage". Hence your Xbox still reports 50,000+ blocks available because songs don't factor into that number.

SciFi
11-19-2001, 05:06 PM
so exactly how many blocks do they mean by +, do they mean like another 100, 1000, or just 10(I know it's more then 10...)?:confused:

Tazilla
11-19-2001, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by SciFi
so exactly how many blocks do they mean by +, do they mean like another 100, 1000, or just 10(I know it's more then 10...)?:confused:

Did you not read my last post?,...

I explained it all,....

Sheesh,...

SciFi
11-19-2001, 05:27 PM
well, you never gave the exact #...

l Maximus l
11-19-2001, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by terrapin
thanks tazilla. I wasn't sure how the harddrive was divided up.

Maximus I believe you miss understood my post. I was referring to the hard drive being split into sections where gave saves and user files (ie songs and downloads) are exclusive of each other and saving 200 songs should reduced the "sound track usage" and not affect the "saved game usage". Hence your Xbox still reports 50,000+ blocks available because songs don't factor into that number.

Sorry for misunderstanding. It's news to me if the Hard-drive is split up...I haven't heard of that possiblity...I'll check out my manual and see if it makes mention of something of that sort. :)

Tazilla
11-19-2001, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by SciFi
well, you never gave the exact #...

Look at the first post,.. I gave a very close number,.. DOH!

500,000+ there abouts,... I don't want to do an exact number,.. read,.. and if you want,.. calculate it on your own,... another guy says apporximatley 524,288,.. more than enough for music and saves,.. way more than enough,..

now if I could only find a way for it to despense beer,...

SciFi
11-19-2001, 08:31 PM
k, I got the picture...
:D