PDA

View Full Version : Will it survive.........

ShadowManTQ
11-30-2002, 10:00 AM
Do you think the XBOX will survive?

There are rumors flying at my local game store that it isnt going to because microsft is loosing money big time and might ditch it to cut there loses.

Having just traded in my PS2 2 months ago for the XBOX i sure hope it isnt so as I love the XBOX.

Reclaimer
11-30-2002, 10:14 AM
I think MS will keep the Xbox around for awhile. Don't you think it's been doing well? Especially with the success of Live? I wouldn't count on it going extinct anytime soon.

CyberBOMB
11-30-2002, 10:49 AM
well they are already making Xbox 2 so i dont think that they are quitting anytime soon. Microsoft knows one thing, they can make a system that is cappable of playing some incredible games. It also puts in features that they know people will love. Nintendo pulls this off but comes up short in some areas (hard drive, ethernet port, etc) and where Sony completely ignored in favor of making additional purchases (multi-tap adapter, hard drive, modem, etc).

I believe that Xbox 2 will feature things that PS3 wont have.

MaxPain
11-30-2002, 11:18 AM
They say for every XBOX they sell MS loses $100... I don't think it matters.. they arent trying to make profit from it yet.. they're trying to get it in all the homes first... :)

No Fear 23
11-30-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by CyberBOMB
well they are already making Xbox 2 so i dont think that they are quitting anytime soon. Microsoft knows one thing, they can make a system that is cappable of playing some incredible games. It also puts in features that they know people will love. Nintendo pulls this off but comes up short in some areas (hard drive, ethernet port, etc) and where Sony completely ignored in favor of making additional purchases (multi-tap adapter, hard drive, modem, etc).

I believe that Xbox 2 will feature things that PS3 wont have.

tru dat :)

MerimacHamwich
11-30-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by MaxPain
They say for every XBOX they sell MS loses $100... I don't think it matters.. they arent trying to make profit from it yet.. they're trying to get it in all the homes first... :)

Every single console company ever, lost money on every console they sold. It is a fact in the business world of gaming. Companies accept that. It is also a fact that software is where the big dollars are made. That is why it is acceptable to lose money on the hardware. The software more than makes up for it. Then if you are the company who made the hardware you get a certain %tage of each sale of a second or third party software game sold. So they not only get money from the games they make but also from the games other people make for their system. That is something most people don't realise.

EHWfedPres
11-30-2002, 12:43 PM
Why would they give up? They have no reason to. The Xbox is doing better than ever right now, and there's a boatload of awesome new game coming very soon.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
11-30-2002, 01:27 PM
Don't worry the xbox will be around for a long time:D

l Maximus l
11-30-2002, 01:46 PM
Ah...not to worry, ShadowmanTQ....The Microsoft Corporation could buy out the entire Sony Corporation over 7 times and still have some change left over. When I say the "Sony Corporation", I'm not just referring to the PS2, but also their Television division, VCRs, DVD Players, Record licenses, yada yada yada...don't worry, buddy :D

EHWfedPres
11-30-2002, 01:48 PM
I think i recall several posts like this last year when it was released...

Knight
11-30-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by MaxPain

They didn't lose any money on me, I have 21 XBox games plus I'm getting 3 more on Xmas!

Cloud Strife
11-30-2002, 05:46 PM
I think the Xbox will definately survive. Just keep selling it on QVC like they did one day and Xbox will never die.

Unreal
11-30-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ShadowManTQ

There are rumors flying at my local game store that it isnt going to because microsft is loosing money big time and might ditch it to cut there loses.

Having just traded in my PS2 2 months ago for the XBOX i sure hope it isnt so as I love the XBOX.
LMAO Some people will believe anything. :confused:

Cloud Strife
11-30-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Unreal

LMAO Some people will believe anything. :confused: Oh yeah that is true. One person I knew believed a store employee that said the Xbox would constantly lockup and it would have to be upgraded yearly.:rolleyes:

Unreal
11-30-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
Oh yeah that is true. One person I knew believed a store employee that said the Xbox would constantly lockup and it would have to be upgraded yearly.:rolleyes:
I also heard that if you rent games from Blockbuster you can burn the game right to the hard drive so you dont have to buy them :rolleyes:

Cloud Strife
11-30-2002, 06:02 PM

I also heard that if you rent games from Blockbuster you can burn the game right to the hard drive so you dont have to buy them :rolleyes: Actually, I am renting games for blockbuster and I burned them to the hardive.;)

I was being sarcastic.

Unreal
11-30-2002, 06:05 PM
Actually, I am renting games for blockbuster and I burned them to the hardive.;)

I was being sarcastic.
I know. There was this one time in band camp, like not that long ago. A guy there said that if you turn your lights on fast when you enter the room where your Xbox is. That you will see little men run back into the system. MS is scoping out your house while your gone to see what they can steal while your out.

You dont think they make all the money legally do you. lol ;)

Cloud Strife
11-30-2002, 06:10 PM

I know. There was this one time in band camp, like not that long ago. A guy there said that if you turn your lights on fast when you enter the room where your Xbox is. That you will see little men run back into the system. MS is scoping out your house while your gone to see what they can steal while your out.

You dont think they make all the money legally do you. lol ;) :eek: my that is a crazy thought. Or maybe that could be true. I hear things at night coming from inside my Xbox like a loud click. Maybe he was right.:confused:

Leviathon
12-02-2002, 09:43 AM
Not worried yet. We just had a 16 person Halo Lan party this weekend and had somepeople over who have played Halo before, but not to this extent. 2 of them own PS2's and now are wanting to trade them in for xbox's to get Halo. We also played GR and SC and they were like OMG those games are awesome....

Afro Aura
12-02-2002, 11:43 AM
what MS are doing with the XBOX is getting a user base and there doing it pretty good job right now,

So no they will not fail and with the quality games that are coming out next year Ninja Gaiden, Brute Force, Panzer Dragoon etc the XBOX is gonna have a fantastic year

ARONO129
01-08-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by ShadowManTQ

You traded your PS2 for an Xbox then traded your Xbox back for a PS2?

Motley
01-08-2003, 08:06 PM
There is no way, no how that M/S is gonna ditch X-Box.

They have invested a TON of $$, sales of XBL are double their expectations, and M/S has no problem losing some $$ for the short term.

Their business strategy is very long term, and they know console gaming is the wave of the future for gaming. They will do whatever it takes to end up on top in the end.

Qbas
01-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Motley
There is no way, no how that M/S is gonna ditch X-Box.

They have invested a TON of $$, sales of XBL are double their expectations, and M/S has no problem losing some $$ for the short term.

Their business strategy is very long term, and they know console gaming is the wave of the future for gaming. They will do whatever it takes to end up on top in the end.
You mean trying to get Monopoly position like they do in OS market?

Stormlord
01-08-2003, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't worry because MS has the cash to take this small blow of losing money. MS can make up that money over every weekend. With MSN, Sales of Games, and Windows, losing $100 a box is like losing pennies. :cool: :) :D ;) . Don't believe those guys because when MS announced having a new Console people thought Bill would monopolize the entire gaming industry (maybe it's part of his fiendish plan) but it still didn't happen.

Cloud Strife
01-08-2003, 08:43 PM
I'm not worried one bit about the Xbox. The only thing that worries me is the 75 people who I talked into buying Xbox's like their system right now. If I tell my friend that their are no Japanese RPG's coming for a while, he'll get really mad because that's mainly what he likes. I don't know what to say to him because he hates the Playstation 2.

Qbas
01-08-2003, 08:50 PM
I'm not worried one bit about the Xbox. The only thing that worries me is the 75 people who I talked into buying Xbox's like their system right now. If I tell my friend that their are no Japanese RPG's coming for a while, he'll get really mad because that's mainly what he likes. I don't know what to say to him because he hates the Playstation 2.
But the truth is PS2 gets allmost all Japanese RPG's, if he wants to play Japanese RPG's so much he has to get PS2 then or then he just have to wait to see if Xbox will get some Japanese RPG's.

Stormlord
01-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Shenmue 2 is out and it's one of the best Japanese RPGs of all time.:) :D ;) :cool:

Cloud Strife
01-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Qbas

But the truth is PS2 gets allmost all Japanese RPG's, if he wants to play Japanese RPG's so much he has to get PS2 then or then he just have to wait to see if Xbox will get some Japanese RPG's. I've known that. However, he is very difficult to deal with. He always buys really cheap games and complains he doesn't like them and can't trade them. He's done it for just about every system.

J Dub
01-08-2003, 09:03 PM
This post is just here to cause trouble. This idiot traded in his Xbox for a PS2 today. Just ignore him.

ARONO129
01-08-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Qbas

You mean trying to get Monopoly position like they do in OS market?

Actually in North America that is called capitalism. And it works.

Cloud Strife
01-08-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Stormlord
Shenmue 2 is out and it's one of the best Japanese RPGs of all time.:) :D ;) :cool: My friend doesn't understand Shenmue although I tell him it's a great game. He also hates JSRF and complains Sega GT 2002 is too difficult for him.

MerimacHamwich
01-09-2003, 10:49 AM
So this poor sap fell victim to mindless rumors. How... pathetic. Tiny FILTHY human brain meats!

ShannonX
01-09-2003, 11:14 AM
My friend doesn't understand Shenmue although I tell him it's a great game. He also hates JSRF and complains Sega GT 2002 is too difficult for him.

i played the demo version of sega gt, and used the mustang GT, which i used to have before i went back to college. I can tell you this. The physics suck in that game. It handled nothing like the real car would have while driving it. After that i decided not to get the game. :)

MerimacHamwich
01-09-2003, 11:31 AM
Exactly, I hated the demo. It made it feel like you were driving in 2 feet of liquidy mud or something.

Cloud Strife
01-09-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Exactly, I hated the demo. It made it feel like you were driving in 2 feet of liquidy mud or something. To me, the demo controlled much better than the real game. I don't care if the physics are realistic. The only porblem I have with the game is that I hate upgrading cars. I know nothing about suspension, engines, brakes, etc. The demo is what made me rush out and buy the game. I think I'll play it today.;)

The problem is I'm in really bad pain and can't really play Xbox.:(

Cesar902
01-09-2003, 03:34 PM
I love the level of difficulty on Sega GT 2002 and Shenmue 2 is one of the best games ever made!!!

Liquid Gears
01-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Please :rolleyes:

If there is anything in the video game industry that will not last long in the future it's hands down Playstation........next Nintendo.......and the surviver will be XBox :cool:

Viper87227
01-09-2003, 07:24 PM

I also heard that if you rent games from Blockbuster you can burn the game right to the hard drive so you dont have to buy them :rolleyes:

That is actually happening. You can buy xbox off ebay with a mod chip and a bigger HD (the come in 40, 80, or 120 gb) and you can rip games onto the HD. Not sure how it works, and I hate all them pirating loosers that doo it (there the reason i pay $50 for a game)

Viper87227
01-09-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears

If there is anything in the video game industry that will not last long in the future it's hands down Playstation........next Nintendo.......and the surviver will be XBox :cool:

i completly disagree with this. I think nintedo is destine to the same fate as sega, gamecube is there last system and they will be software only

as far as PS going under, your so far off it isnt funny. ( I like both my PS2 and xbox equally so please lets not turn this into another PS2 vs. xbox flamewar). Just look at sales PS2 sells 2-3 times more hardware and software than xbox and nintendo....

Bottem line PS will be in the running for a while cuz they got the sales, xbox will be competing with them all the way cuz MS has the money, and mario 1,092 will be on both of them as nintendo, sega, and ea fight for the best software developer.

Liquid Gears
01-09-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Viper87227

i completly disagree with this. I think nintedo is destine to the same fate as sega, gamecube is there last system and they will be software only

as far as PS going under, your so far off it isnt funny. ( I like both my PS2 and xbox equally so please lets not turn this into another PS2 vs. xbox flamewar). Just look at sales PS2 sells 2-3 times more hardware and software than xbox and nintendo....

Bottem line PS will be in the running for a while cuz they got the sales, xbox will be competing with them all the way cuz MS has the money, and mario 1,092 will be on both of them as nintendo, sega, and ea fight for the best software developer.

Oh I know, man. I totally agree that Nintendo will turn out to be like Sega. But Playstation will go out of buisness in the video game industry before Nintendo. All they do is rip-off idea from XBox, it's pathetic.

Cloud Strife
01-09-2003, 08:37 PM

Oh I know, man. I totally agree that Nintendo will turn out to be like Sega. But Playstation will go out of buisness in the video game industry before Nintendo. All they do is rip-off idea from XBox, it's pathetic. LOL

Clean out your PM box because I'm trying to reply to your PM.

Liquid Gears
01-09-2003, 08:54 PM
LOL

Clean out your PM box because I'm trying to reply to your PM.

It's cleaned, man :)

Cloud Strife
01-09-2003, 08:59 PM
I guarntee this guy will trade to get an Xbox back again. I have a Playstation 2 and it's nothing special. I'm renting Rygar: The Legendary Adventure right now. The game plays preety coll except it feels just the same as Devil May Cry. The only three games on Playstation 2 I found to compete with Xbox best were Zone of the Enders, Ratchet & Clank, Devil May Cry.

Viper87227
01-09-2003, 09:40 PM

Oh I know, man. I totally agree that Nintendo will turn out to be like Sega. But Playstation will go out of buisness in the video game industry before Nintendo. All they do is rip-off idea from XBox, it's pathetic.

r u talkin games or the hardware itself... if your talking hardware i cant understand how sony could copy xbox when ps2 was out 1st..

if your talkin they copy games then that isn't really a sony thing since they dont make many of the games.

I really dont think any of the 3 systems out they copy each other in any way. They all have there strongpoints. Xbox has better hardware, but i think PS2 has the better selection of games. Xboxs selection of top quality titles is smaller than the amount of them on ps2.

I guess after all this what i really want to know is why do you think Sony will go out of business? I don't care if you don't like ps2 or whatever but are you saying PS2 wont make it cuz you dont like it? If thats not the case than tell me why you think PS will go under, cuz i just cant see it happeing with the way PS2is selling.

Cesar902
01-10-2003, 12:18 AM
At this rate Xbox will succeed and stay on second place and even climb to 1st place by 2004!:D

Stormlord
01-10-2003, 07:07 AM
I don't see Nintendo becoming a software only company. Why do you ask? Sure they make first party games, but if you notice the same franchises are used over and over. Nothing is new in the since of a totally new franchise. Plus Nintendo still manages to out sell X-Box in Japan and with Game Boy Advance, it's making PS2 sales look like a joke. The Problem with Sega was (like the U.S. did during the depression) over produce. They didn't know what to do with what they got. Plus they had the first Next Gen console, leaving them vulnerable to be out done by the proceeding next gens. Since Sony now wants to be the first to releasing their PS3, Nintendo and Microsoft will release newer hardware that out dues Sony.

Like always consoles sell more a year after they've been released and with a price drop. More people are deciding to become hardcore gamers and not just be fan boys. Fan boys are more shunned then praised now a days. :) :D :cool:

Cesar902
01-10-2003, 03:47 PM
I agree with some stuff that you have said, the gameboy advance is a total success, Gamecube is winning xbox in Japan, but Xbox has been able to take the place of Gamecube in Europe, American and maybe soon in regions like South Korea and the like.

I Think if things don't improve for Nintendo in the following year and 2004, Nintedo will pull of of the console business on America and maybe europe, but still do Gameboy Advance in this regions, maybe Nintendo will only release Gamecube for Japan, who knows!

Or maybe since it doesn't cost so much to manufacture Gamecube, maybe even if they are in third place they are still earning money instead of loosing and that way they will remain on business, with cheaper hardware to make up for the sales and still be in business on America and europe. But they will still remain in third place with infirior hardware, which could hurt it's cutting edge.

natewebb
01-10-2003, 05:24 PM
M$ has no intention of making a profit on the xbox the first 3 years. So don't worry about that. 99% of all business ventures take a few years before they turn a profit. M$ is a mature company with deep pockets. THey know better than us how to make a buck. They'll invest as much as they have to, to get a good place in the market. 6 Years from now, they'll be hauled into federal court for making too much profit from gaming, and killing the competition, mark my words.

Highlite23
01-11-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Knight

They didn't lose any money on me, I have 21 XBox games plus I'm getting 3 more on Xmas!

I think Knight makes a good point, XBOX does have the highest rate of games attached, so is it really losing money??

I buy the system, 2 games my first time out.......thats got to be close to break even, so from there on out it's profit.........Yes,No?:cool:

Cloud Strife
01-11-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by highlite23-XBA

I think Knight makes a good point, XBOX does have the highest rate of games attached, so is it really losing money??

I buy the system, 2 games my first time out.......thats got to be close to break even, so from there on out it's profit.........Yes,No?:cool: I have 22 games. Most of mine were published by Microsoft and Sega.

ShannonX
01-11-2003, 01:38 PM

i wouldn't count out nintendo just yet. Check out their monopoly in the handheld market, something along the lines of 90 - 95% of the market is controlled by them. And i dont think they will bow out of the console market just yet.