PDA

View Full Version : More Microsoft buying Sega news (with link)

Jarvis
11-30-2002, 04:37 PM
Microsoft to buy Sega? Rumors fly

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES

Two news services yesterday reported that Tokyo-based videogame maker Sega Corp. may be acquired by Microsoft Corp. Neither company, including San Francisco-based subsidiary SEGA of America Inc., could be reached for comment.

The Jiji Press English-language Japanese press service reported that shares of Sega Corp. rose as high as the exchange's daily limit of 200 yen, to close up 134 yen at 1,385 yen ($11.29) on the Tokyo Stock Exchange yesterday afternoon "amid a market rumor that U.S. software giant Microsoft Corp. will acquire the Japanese video game maker."

Bloomberg News' Tokyo bureau reported the same rumor, saying Sega shares rose as much as 17 percent because of it. The report quoted spokesmen for both companies as saying they knew of no acquisition plans

Seattle Post-Intelligencer link (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/97888_sega30.shtml)

Ok, in case you didn't know, that would equal these games being exclusive to the Xbox if this happened. THINK about how ridiculous that would be!

- Sonic
- Virtua Fighter
- Shenmue
- Panzer Dragoon
- Super Monkey Ball
- NFL 2K
- NHL 2K
- NBA 2K
- World Series Baseball 2K
- Phantasy Star Online
- OutRUn
- Crazy Taxi
- Jet Grind/Set Radio
- Daytona USA
- House of the Dead
- ToeJam and Earl
- Sega Rally Championship
- SegaGT
- SpikeOut
- Virtua Cop
- Virtua Fighter
- Virtua Striker (soccer series)
- Virtual On
- Chu Chu Rocket
- Ecco the Dolphin
- Eternal Arcadia/Skies of Arcadia
- Samba De Amigo
- Sega Bass Fishing
- Altered Beast
- Golden Axe
- Kid Chameleon
- Shinobi
- Gungrave
- Streets of Rage
- Vectorman
- Rez
- Gunvalkyrie
- Soccer Slam

And that's not even all of them.

-jarvis

speedbuggy76
11-30-2002, 05:08 PM
Wow! That is quite an impressive list! Great post, very informative! 5 stars for this post!

Unreal
11-30-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by speedbuggy76
Wow! That is quite an impressive list! Great post, very informative! 5 stars for this post!
Agreed but lets not get ahead of ourselves ;) :D

Cloud Strife
11-30-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Jarvis

Ok, in case you didn't know, that would equal these games being exclusive to the Xbox if this happened. THINK about how ridiculous that would be!

- Sonic
- Virtua Fighter
- Shenmue
- Panzer Dragoon
- Super Monkey Ball
- NFL 2K
- NHL 2K
- NBA 2K
- World Series Baseball 2K
- Phantasy Star Online
- OutRUn
- Crazy Taxi
- Jet Grind/Set Radio
- Daytona USA
- House of the Dead
- ToeJam and Earl
- Sega Rally Championship
- SegaGT
- SpikeOut
- Virtua Cop
- Virtua Fighter
- Virtua Striker (soccer series)
- Virtual On
- Chu Chu Rocket
- Ecco the Dolphin
- Eternal Arcadia/Skies of Arcadia
- Samba De Amigo
- Sega Bass Fishing
- Altered Beast
- Golden Axe
- Kid Chameleon
- Shinobi
- Gungrave
- Streets of Rage
- Vectorman
- Rez
- Gunvalkyrie
- Soccer Slam

And that's not even all of them.

-jarvis Okay, I could add even more:
Burning Rangers (Oh yeah)
Nights
Clockwork Knight
Bug
Hang On
Columns
Shining Force
Shining the Holy Ark/Darkness
Phantasy Star
Dynamite Cop
Ferrari F355 Challenge
Zombie Revenge
OOga Booga
Floigan Brothers
Virtua Tennis
Virtua Racing
Astal
Seaman
Sakura Taisen Wars
Guru Guru Onsen
Rommania
Fighting Vipers
Last Bronx
Eternal Champions
Ristar
Manx TT
Blazing Heroes
Dragon Force
Super GT
Power Drift
Confidential Mission
18 Wheeler Pro Trucker
Three Dirty Dwarves
Beyond Oasis
Alien Storm
Green Dog
Super Monaco GP
Space Harrier
Emergency Call Ambulance
Top Skater
Switch

When I have more I will list them.;)

Cloud Strife
11-30-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Unreal

Agreed but lets not get ahead of ourselves ;) :D I can agree on that but I already did by listing a bunch of Sega games.;) :)

mattcoxonline
11-30-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Unreal

Agreed but lets not get ahead of ourselves
Yeah, especially as its most likely speculation from Xbox fanboys...
Sorry to spoil the fun lads....

..but, if it is true, I expect emails from you all laughing at me - and rightly so..

Cloud Strife
11-30-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by mattcoxonline

Yeah, especially as its most likely speculation from Xbox fanboys...
Sorry to spoil the fun lads....

..but, if it is true, I expect emails from you all laughing at me - and rightly so.. I would be one of them.:D

Premium Xbox
11-30-2002, 06:44 PM
I won't believe it till it happens. To many rumors going around. :eek:

TheCovenant
11-30-2002, 07:29 PM
i hope microsoft doesnt spend the 2 billion they planed on spending on xbox live on sega corp. Sega isnt even that great, i mean sure they got pinnacles of gaming like panzer dragoon or the sonic series, but is it really worth the 2-3 billion they claim they are worth?

I think a cheaper third party developer/publisher would be key to dominate the market in the future. I am of course refering to companies like capcom, konami, or namco.

Although sega would hurt the competition, i dont think they would help microsoft too much in their conquest for console market domination.

Sega is a third party company, and as long as they are third party the will make games for xbox, but there is always the risk of sega going first party, to another console. That would injure our beloved 'box, so the problem ends up being, you have to somehow keep sega third party or make them first party, and it would have more benefits making it first party then keeping it third.

just what i think not a proffessional opinion.:cool:

Jarvis
11-30-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by TheCovenant
i hope microsoft doesnt spend the 2 billion they planed on spending on xbox live on sega corp. Sega isnt even that great, i mean sure they got pinnacles of gaming like panzer dragoon or the sonic series, but is it really worth the 2-3 billion they claim they are worth?

I think a cheaper third party developer/publisher would be key to dominate the market in the future. I am of course refering to companies like capcom, konami, or namco.

Although sega would hurt the competition, i dont think they would help microsoft too much in their conquest for console market domination.

Sega is a third party company, and as long as they are third party the will make games for xbox, but there is always the risk of sega going first party, to another console. That would injure our beloved 'box, so the problem ends up being, you have to somehow keep sega third party or make them first party, and it would have more benefits making it first party then keeping it third.

just what i think not a proffessional opinion.:cool:

first man, you have to get your numbers right. it will not be a 2 or 3 billion dollar buyout. you do not pay for 100% of a company very often.

I have heard reports that 22% of shares would secure majority ownership rights to sega. so 22 % of let's say 3 billion dollars.

that is the price, not 2 or 3 billion.

$660,000,000 would be the approximate price to secure Sega as Microsoft exclusive publisher.

Take a look at that game list above and tell me that's not worth $660 million. i think it is. and that it really buys you is more credibility, and keeps amazing games off of your competitors' systems.

-jarvis

TheCovenant
11-30-2002, 08:19 PM
500,000-660,000 sounds more feasable than what i had recently posted, i apologize. regardless, thatstill 1/4 of the money they are planning on spending in five years. That list is big, but not impressive, and do not agree that the buy out is essential. I would like to see the money invested in better companies such as capcom, konami, and namco, which would go for much cheaper and with the right funding and supervision, be far more prosperous than the self governing team sonic.

thatroger
11-30-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Jarvis

I have heard reports that 22% of shares would secure majority ownership rights to sega. so 22 % of let's say 3 billion dollars.

I'd love to have Sega develop Microsoft exclusive games for cheap too but I don't think that's going to happen. I think Microsoft would wnat to aquire at least 51%. Why? Because if they only get 22% of the shares and then try to make their games xbox exclusive, the other shareholders could band together say no and basically render Microsoft's shares useless.

I'm not stock market guru so don't take this is a guarenteed truth.

Cloud Strife
11-30-2002, 09:36 PM
I don't believe that Microsoft is buying Sega but I would be a big boost. Sega is capable of producing over 40 titles a month. Plus, the Japaneese market loves Sakura Taisen, Virtua Fighter, Lets Make a Pro Baseball Team, and Phantasy Star a lot.

I want a Burning Rangers on Xbox.;)

rio2012
11-30-2002, 09:48 PM
Well, u can x sonic out of the picture cause sega has sent sonic on his last adventure on Gamecube or any other system.

Cloud Strife
11-30-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by rio2012
Well, u can x sonic out of the picture cause sega has sent sonic on his last adventure on Gamecube or any other system. But there is still going to be a new Sonic game though.:confused:

blinx the cat
11-30-2002, 09:52 PM
You do never know when Sonic may pop up again. Too bad Ecco the Dolphin isn't back on his tailfin. It would be fun to see another game like that.

With the money they have, what would they do to make X-Box Live better? o_o; I have to wonder, you know, because there are a bit of a lot of features that are better then all of the other consoles ( 'cept PC ).. .... And I thought Sakura Taisen was a Capcom-ee. Wonder that.

Cloud Strife
11-30-2002, 09:55 PM
Welcome Blinx the Cat. Sega is a great company and Blinx is a great game.;) Ecco was a lot of fun.

blinx the cat
11-30-2002, 09:58 PM
Arigato Gozaimasu. =X Ecco is fun to especially cheat on.. ( Heheh. I can't get past some games without cheating. )

Wouldn't X-Box be better by either : 1st - Staying with what they have, or 2nd - Buying Capcom out?

Evil_Dr_Beefy
12-01-2002, 04:22 AM
it's a rumor...don't get your hopes up.......

wbio
12-01-2002, 08:21 AM
I really do think it would be a better idea just to buy a company like Capcom or Konami because it would be cheaper, and well, I like their games more. I don't think that there is a very big threat of Sony or Nintendo buying Sega anyway, so they will still be making games for XBOX.

AmpedRider
12-01-2002, 09:40 AM
oooh bass fishing thats the game for me......hahaha no

kachingtensor
12-01-2002, 09:51 AM
Sony essentially just acquired Enix by crook (Enix-Square merger news), so they are obviously concentrating on holding off somebody in the Japanese market.

I hope Sega does go with Microsoft and XBOX all the way. I suppose they could still make a Sonic game, and maybe a baseball sim game, for Gamecube and Gameboy (if Ninty'll have 'em), but screw Sony and their overhyped & underpowered PS2. Someday all those PS2 owners in Japan will get tired of buying replacements and actually trade up to better hardware. :o :D :cool:

edit:::: LOL, and I don't mean that cycle-shaving vaporware that Sony's hypesters are calling the "PS3". From the ridiculous to the more ridiculous. :p

Cloud Strife
12-01-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by kachingtensor
Sony essentially just acquired Enix by crook (Enix-Square merger news), so they are obviously concentrating on holding off somebody in the Japanese market.

I hope Sega does go with Microsoft and XBOX all the way. I suppose they could still make a Sonic game, and maybe a baseball sim game, for Gamecube and Gameboy (if Ninty'll have 'em), but screw Sony and their overhyped & underpowered PS2. Someday all those PS2 owners in Japan will get tired of buying replacements and actually trade up to better hardware. :o :D :cool:

edit:::: LOL, and I don't mean that cycle-shaving vaporware that Sony's hypesters are calling the "PS3". From the ridiculous to the more ridiculous. :p Oh yeah the Playstation 2 was overhyped.;)