PDA

View Full Version : XBox Networking?

Hilbe
11-19-2001, 04:20 PM
I have been wondering if anyone has been able to do anything to your xbox on your home LAN. I plugged my XBox into my router, and noticed the link light was active. I checked my router diagnostic and saw that no IP address was assigned to the XBox.

It would be nice to be able to save WMA (or MP3!) files directly to its hard disk across 100 mbit LAN. I hope someone backward engineers the sucker :)

Rochey69r
11-20-2001, 12:44 AM
that might just happen u neva know!

Hugh_Jass
11-20-2001, 12:20 PM
I was going to try that myself. Did you happen to look in the XBox menu to see if any new items were added once the Ethernet port was active? I would think that XBox would be DHCP as a default with some kind of "advanced" menu to set it up with a static IP.

Hilbe
11-20-2001, 02:14 PM
Yeah...I checked everything. My impression was that it was up to the game to do the networking. I wonder what happens when you try to play Halo...need to try that and run a packet sniffer on a hub.

Chaotic
11-20-2001, 02:25 PM
Right, there is no visable ip address that you will be able to see on your router.

The networking is controlled by the game.

I believe once they release their gamin network there will be some added features that will be either installed or downloaded from the web that will give you control of your system.