PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a new TV....

tennyson
12-02-2002, 03:28 PM
...and I had a question about the scaling (I'm not too knowledgable on the subject). I've heard talk of 480, 720, and 1080 mentioned among these boards when talking about HDTV. What exactly is that, and what setting does it normally default to? Can I get better looking graphics out of my XBox if I change the scale? Thanks for your help.

New HDTV (http://store.yahoo.com/advantage123/jvc-av48wp30.html?AID=5802104&PID=177778&SID=103886433046894734)

Bakeman
12-02-2002, 03:44 PM
well it says your TV can do 1080i

I'm not sure if your TV does all three.. it doesn't say on that page, and I'm not the all knowing and mighty when it comes to HDTV.

the 480p, 720p, and 1080i are the different levels of HDTV

p = progressive scan
i = interlaced

or something like that...

In the settings for you xbox you select Yes or No on the three different settings. And yes if the games support the different resolutions then your games would look alot better. But you have to use the HDTV Pack for the xbox.

l Maximus l
12-02-2002, 05:22 PM
Most computer monitors and some high-resolution TV sets display all the lines of a picture at the same time, in one quick burst. This is known as progressive scanning, which stands in contrast to interlacing, in which every other line is displayed in two successive "swoops" to form a complete picture. Analog TVs and some really low-resolution monitors use interlacing.

Therefore, 480p (or 480 progressive scan), for example, means that there are 480 lines of resolution. With 720p, there will be 720 lines and so on. The higher the number, the higher the resolution.

On analog televisions (the vast majority of tube televisions and many projection TVs have this that are not HDTV), they use "interlaced scan". So, to get the image with interlaced scan, each line of resolution is created but skipping a line as it goes from top to bottom. But, from bottom to top, it fills in each line to produce the image. By contrast, progressive scan does it all at the same time or with one simple "swoop".

As for making the graphics better by having an HDTV....technically, it's not improving the graphics. But, yes, it will improve the look of the graphics...what it is actually fixing is the resolution. Each XBox game disc is coded. All but three games (to my understanding) all have 480p. More and more games are supporting 720p and same with 1080i.

1080i is not progressive scan, however, 1080 lines via interlaced will look much more brilliant than even 720p because of the amount of lines. I think there is atleast one game that supports 1080i which is Dragon's Lair 3D.

But, all in all, you have the equipment that will support any of this. Just make sure you go on your XBox dashboard and select "Yes" to 480p, 720p, and 1080i. Also, because your new HDTV is widescreen, put the widescreen option on "yes" as well.

While you're at it, if you haven't done this yet, pick up the High-Definition A/V pack or the Monster 400 series Component Video cables. You have to have either one of these to actually see progressive scanning on your HDTV.

I have a 50" Toshiba Widescreen HDTV and have never enjoyed gaming to this level in my 27 years on this planet! Enjoy your new equipment and welcome to the High Definition club!!! :)

tennyson
12-02-2002, 06:52 PM
Bakeman and Maximus - thank you very much for your input, it was very helpful. Just one more question:

Once I buy the High-Definition A/V Pack and set the Dashboard settings to "Widescreen" and "Yes" for 480, 720, 1080, will the Xbox/TV automatically display the optimal settings for any game I put in? Thanks again for the useful info.

FuNkY mOnK
12-02-2002, 07:49 PM
The link you have show's a jvc rear projection screen, if this is true i would not recommend playing games on it as it screwed up my Friends screen with a burned image of a tachometer from GT3.

MerimacHamwich
12-02-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by tennyson
Bakeman and Maximus - thank you very much for your input, it was very helpful. Just one more question:

Once I buy the High-Definition A/V Pack and set the Dashboard settings to "Widescreen" and "Yes" for 480, 720, 1080, will the Xbox/TV automatically display the optimal settings for any game I put in? Thanks again for the useful info.

It should. If it doesn't then there will be an option in the game.

Bakeman
12-02-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich

It should. If it doesn't then there will be an option in the game.

Yep what he said..

enjoy man!

I'm jealous! lol I only have a 27inch (non-hdtv) lol

tennyson
12-03-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
The link you have show's a jvc rear projection screen, if this is true i would not recommend playing games on it as it screwed up my Friends screen with a burned image of a tachometer from GT3.

Is this true? I was under the impression that as long as you don't leave your Tv on a stagnant picture for a long period of time, it will be fine.

Secondly, how many games out there for XBox currently support higher that 480p?

Hugh_Jass
12-03-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by tennyson

Is this true? I was under the impression that as long as you don't leave your Tv on a stagnant picture for a long period of time, it will be fine.

The rest of the screen may be dynamic, but any static part of the screen can damage your TV.

DLP televisions are immune to this problem.

MerimacHamwich
12-03-2002, 12:21 PM
Yeah.^

Some TV's out there have a built in gadget that ever so slightly moves the image around the screen so you don't get burn in. It is really quite cool. I think that may only be on Toshiba's that may be wrong though.

You shouldn't have a problem with burn in as long as your TV is properly calibrated and doesn't have too high of settings of contrast and brightness.

I believe there is a list of games that use 720p and 1080i at xbox.com, somewhere. All xbox games support 480p. Except a minor few, which just so happen to be crappy EA ports.

I know The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring uses either 720p or 1080i and widescreen. I say you should check it out.

bbchs_trash
12-03-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK

The Tachometer stays in one place on the Television the full time, and this is why it burned. Its almost like leaving the game on pause in that section of the screen, while the rest is still moving. The only way to avoid this if what he says is true, illiminate all games that don't keep everything moving...