PDA

View Full Version : the dvd kit. is it worth it? does it work? ps2 dvd playback was tempermental.

viridian
11-20-2001, 12:00 AM
heres my new problem. do i sell my dvd player now that i have an xbox?

i like to condense my video sources. as a gamer with alot of systems, i only have so many imputs on my tv. switchers are bad for signal purity. now i could really use and like the xbox dvd kit. i could sell my dvd player, and free up some av real estate. but i know that the ps2 playback was substandard. for example, the mask of zorro never worked in it. for no reason. it works fine in every other dvd playback device. but not my ps2. and i tried other ps2s ...same deal. skipping and stuff my not happen on every movie. but i dont want to use anything for dvd playback if my fav movies dont play. plus i was always worried about shortening the life of my game systems. but this is the xbox so maybe its better. anyone that bought and used the dvd kit share any and all info. thanks.

the reason for this is that its a software dvd playback system. theres no dvd hardware chip to decode the dvd like a deck would do. its all simulated like computer dvd playback. but its such a powerfull box that maybe it is indeed perfect emulation. or maybe not. post away.

WynnFire
11-20-2001, 03:44 AM
I would say keep for now. I work at a rental place and I hear a lot of complaints how their PS2 won't play Disney and most Miramax DVD's. So for the time being, I say keep your regular DVD player. If I can find it again, I will post the link of the web page that has a small list of compatible and incompatible DVD's for the PS2 and Xbox.

scarecrow kfj
11-20-2001, 10:28 AM
Well I have the kit and it has played all my dvds so far. I havnt rented any yet but the xbox it is a better player than my dvd player. Take that as you want but I am happy with its play back so far

J98GT
11-20-2001, 10:29 AM
I haven't tried a DVD yet, but I put a music CD in last night, and I could tell that the sound quality was much worse than my CD changer or DVD player. They bass was very muddy. Just an observation, I didn't try to figure out why, and I don't know how this relates to DVD playback. I don't relaly care, since I didn't buy it to play music and movies. Games sound good.

mojo__31
11-20-2001, 11:49 AM
I have played several movies, and quality was superb, no problems yet, the piture and sound seemed as good or better than my 2 year old Pioneer DVD player.

Hugh_Jass
11-20-2001, 12:06 PM
It never occured to me to replace my DVD player with the XBox. Hmmm....I would solve my problem with only having a single set of component video inputs in my video scaler. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want the extra wear on my XBox.

l Maximus l
11-20-2001, 12:14 PM
I didn't buy a DVD player purposely because I knew it would be better if I simply waited for the XBox...now that I have it, I haven't had any luck trying to locate an available DVD Playback Kit yet...but, I'm not in any hurry...Games are taking up most of my time for now. In a couple months, I plan on buying the DVD Playback Kit...by then, there should be quite a few available. Like I said, I'm not in a hurry...but, I don't plan on buying a DVD since the XBox is a DVD player...I understand that it is a very good one, too :) It's probably compared to a middle-of the road JVC.