PDA

View Full Version : keyboards mice and joysticks and other stupid stuff -did you see that skateboard one?

viridian
11-20-2001, 12:23 AM
keyboards are great. i love using the mouse for mouse look. and as much as i want my fellow gamers to have the choices and all. a self centered part of me does not want the big M to come out with a keyboard and mouse. you take halo. its awsome controlls. now thats a game thats made with praticaity in mind.

im on my couch or bedroom. im nowhere near a desk. how am i going to use this two foot keyboard and slide this mouse around exactly. i play laying down. the dreamcast keyboard gave me lots of placement and comfort issues to deal with ...but it was nessasay. how else was i going to chat and play them online games. well the dreamcast is no more and now we have its reincarnated system the xbox. (which by the way is now host to an onslaught of titles from sega. see my other post)

the communicater is very important. why type stuff. just talk. voice reconnition and in game transmission or recording. order your teammates around whatever. the only other reason i could see (and no the big M is not letting us browse the internet so just forget it) is for first person shooters.

but games like perfect dark 2 and halo prove that when you design controlls and enemy reflexes with gamepad gamers in mind that the two jive perfectly. i like halo controlls over quakes and unreals. if i had a mouse i would no doubt blast the halo aliens much quicker. but i noticed that they dont fire back as quick as pc games ether. like they need just as long to get a bead on you. they almost know how long it should take you to fire. even with a gamepad. and the two analog sticks work so good that you never feel its the controlls fault you missed or the computer has an unfair speed advantage. its them dam pc ports that feel strange with the gamepad. but show me an original console first person shooter game and it feels just right.

but really the best thing would be a trackball or touchpad controller. or something unique like a gamepad/lightgun combo that actually works good. but we all know thats not going to happen. so i choose the unique feel of halo instead of cluttering myself uncomfortably next to the tv with a keyboard and mouse setup. tell me...does anyone really miss a keyboad playing halo? i like the gamepads closeness and intuitveness with the buttons more than i miss mouse look. ( i could never reach key buttons to jump or whatever with a keyboard..because mouse look was so quick at aiming i could never look to find it without getting creamed. )