PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Leo
12-04-2002, 02:01 PM
Hello.

Yes I do need help.

Okay now I have couple of questions about how to be a developer of videogames. I know I am too young to develop games. But I want to ask you 7 questions.

Right now I am 12 years old.
I am in 7th grade.

1. Is it hard to be a developer?
2. Where do I have to learn how to develop xbox games?
3. What is the best college for game design, 3D animation or level design?

4. What is polygons?
5. Is it easy to get hired?
6. What things do I need to know and to do to be a developer?
7. How old do I need to be to work as a developer?

I want to work at Intrepid Games.

I know where is Intrepid Studios is located. Intrepid games located at Wimbledon Park, southwest London.

I know it's too EARLY to ask but I really badly want to know.
Please don't flame me, and don't say it's a stupid post. I really wanna know about how being a developer.

I know I am way to young for that.

Please reply me.

Thank you for reading this post.

Thank you for your help.

Thank you.

Please reply.

xboxmaster2002
12-04-2002, 02:10 PM
1. its not easy
2. full sail, or digipen are the best ones
3.agian full sail and digipen
4.A closed plane figure bounded by three or more line segments... the more polygons = more detail/better graphics
5.if you graduate from one of those schools yes
6.you need to know how games work and how to make them, which you will learn in the schools

Cloud Strife
12-04-2002, 02:30 PM
I took a C programming class and it was impossible so I had to drop out.

Leo
12-04-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by xboxmaster2002
1. its not easy
2. full sail, or digipen are the best ones
3.agian full sail and digipen
4.A closed plane figure bounded by three or more line segments... the more polygons = more detail/better graphics
5.if you graduate from one of those schools yes
6.you need to know how games work and how to make them, which you will learn in the schools

Thank you very much.

What about Columbio university? DO they teach development of videogames?

Do me a favor please give me links for FUll Sail and Digipen i want to read about those schools.

Leo
12-04-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
I took a C programming class and it was impossible so I had to drop out.

What is C programming?

Cloud Strife
12-04-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Leo

What is C programming? A programming technique. I just know the a developer needs to know how to do it to develop on Xbox. Known as C++ programming. There is probably someone here who could explain it better.

VeNoMiZA
12-04-2002, 02:56 PM
c programing is very difficlut i had a book on C++ and omg it is friggin like reading in alien LOL to larn this leo u have to know what java is html, and everything else good to know how to learn flash too if u interested in c programming. im going to FULLSAIL next year so i have no problem, im graduating a year early. and leo and to be a developer u have to be creative but at ur age you could be amazingly creative just keep working for it. and when u get in high school make sure u take aljebra 2 and phsyics i frogt how to spell physics there ya go physics. ok i got it :D

tennyson
12-04-2002, 02:56 PM
Leo,

As far as planning to be a developer now, you'll have to get the basics down first. Being in 7th grade, I'm not sure that there is too much that you can do proactively to work yourself into the field.

However, most high schools now are offering classes that were previously unavailable when I was there (1992-1995). Take advantage of those and keep up-to-date on the latest trends and changes in the industry. Take in as much programming experience as you can during high school, since that's going to be the bulk of what employers will be looking for.

On top of that, try and gather experience in secondary skills if you can (graphic art and 3D rendering if you want to become a game artist, math-intense courses if you want to be involved with the physics engines of games). But remember, programming is the meat and potatoes of any game, so that is where you will want to concentrate.

As Burning Ranger said, programming can be difficult, but it is by no means impossible. For some, it even comes easy, maybe you'll be one of the luckier ones.

Once you get that experience under your belt, you should have a pretty good idea of what specific course-outline you'll want to follow once you get to college. That, in my opinion, is where you will be able to decide if this is even a field you want to persue.

If you want to start learning on your own, since you may not have the ability for a teacher to do it at your level, try this:

- Buy a book on Visual Basic, C++, Java or any other language that you're interested in. Ironically, the "(blank) for Dummies" series is actually a good learning tool for beginners. Thsi way you'll have your foot in the door once you begin real classes.

- Try out some shareware rendering programs such as Bryce, Poser, or 3D Studio Max. The manuals for these programs are encyclopedias in themselves, but they will help you see what exactly goes into the visual portion of gaming.

- Keep a portfolio of all your work, even the little things that you create at the beginning. It will be a motivational tool to help you as you see your work begin to get better and better. Additionally, employers will usually ask for some proof of your experience upon hiring.

Unfortunately, it's a very hard business, and difficult one to become a leader in, but if you want it bad enough, effort will take care of the rest. Hope this helped.

EHWfedPres
12-04-2002, 02:59 PM
HTML is easy as pie, i picked up everything i know about html in some old skool chat room...

VeNoMiZA
12-04-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by tennyson
Leo,

As far as planning to be a developer now, you'll have to get the basics down first. Being in 7th grade, I'm not sure that there is too much that you can do proactively to work yourself into the field.

However, most high schools now are offering classes that were previously unavailable when I was there (1992-1995). Take advantage of those and keep up-to-date on the latest trends and changes in the industry. Take in as much programming experience as you can during high school, since that's going to be the bulk of what employers will be looking for.

On top of that, try and gather experience in secondary skills if you can (graphic art and 3D rendering if you want to become a game artist, math-intense courses if you want to be involved with the physics engines of games). But remember, programming is the meat and potatoes of any game, so that is where you will want to concentrate.

As Burning Ranger said, programming can be difficult, but it is by no means impossible. For some, it even comes easy, maybe you'll be one of the luckier ones.

Once you get that experience under your belt, you should have a pretty good idea of what specific course-outline you'll want to follow once you get to college. That, in my opinion, is where you will be able to decide if this is even a field you want to persue.

If you want to start learning on your own, since you may not have the ability for a teacher to do it at your level, try this:

- Buy a book on Visual Basic, C++, Java or any other language that you're interested in. Ironically, the "(blank) for Dummies" series is actually a good learning tool for beginners. Thsi way you'll have your foot in the door once you begin real classes.

- Try out some shareware rendering programs such as Bryce, Poser, or 3D Studio Max. The manuals for these programs are encyclopedias in themselves, but they will help you see what exactly goes into the visual portion of gaming.

- Keep a portfolio of all your work, even the little things that you create at the beginning. It will be a motivational tool to help you as you see your work begin to get better and better. Additionally, employers will usually ask for some proof of your experience upon hiring.

Unfortunately, it's a very hard business, and difficult one to become a leader in, but if you want it bad enough, effort will take care of the rest. Hope this helped.
u c tennyson in my school we got webdesign and advanced webdesign but like there evil people called "counselors" they decide what to put you in i asked for webdesign but my ******* counselor decides what to pick for people for their lives so i got kiked out of my old school for fukin up her car... now im just learning by my gad dam self.. cant wait till fullsail :D

EHWfedPres
12-04-2002, 03:02 PM
you got kicked out of skool for not getting the class you wanted? damn...

Leo
12-04-2002, 03:03 PM
Leo,

HHmmm.. intresing.

Can you give me a link for 3D Max Studios? Is 3D Max Studios is a softare where I could download from Internet or is it something else?

Thank you for helping.

VeNoMiZA
12-04-2002, 03:10 PM
its very expensive if u can pirate it but ..... oh dam im gonna get flamed :( but LEO LISTEN TO ME. U COULD BECOME A GAME DESIGNER BUT U WILL NEED TO TAKE THESE DURING YOUR HIGHSCHOOL YEARS. ALGEBRA 2 AND PHYSICS.I KNOW THEY TOLD ME i cant be one becuzz i never took physics. :( im going in for computer animation... i think i dont need a those two.. if i do i will go in for digitalmedia. leo check this out go here. www.fullsail.com and tell ur parents about it is good to start ur planning early so u have a big expansion on it when u get there.
and dont let teachers tell u ur stupid it might happen in highschool some teachers are just plain awefull and yes i got kicked out for not having a class i wanted.... i really wanted tyo grad with a webmasters at trhe same time..... :(

EHWfedPres
12-04-2002, 03:11 PM
Algebra 2 is fuking stupid...

tennyson
12-04-2002, 03:11 PM
Here's the link for 3D Studio Max, but the full version is rather expensive. This is probably one of the best pieces of software out there for people who are proficient with it.

3D Studio Max (http://www.discreet.com/products/3dsmax/)

Here's the link for Bryce and Poser, two pretty cool programs for still imaging. They're a little unorthodox to use, but still pretty impressive and usable by beginners.

Bryce 5 (http://www3.corel.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=Corel/Product/Details&id=CC1M72VRBAC)

Again, there's always Kazaa, but you didn't hear that from me. :D

VeNoMiZA
12-04-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
Algebra 2 is fuking stupid...
i feel u im in right nhow :( sux butt ....

EHWfedPres
12-04-2002, 03:14 PM
I have Poser 4 and that shyt is fuking crazy, you need about 3 million plug-ins just to find the right hair...such a waste if you ask me.

tennyson
12-04-2002, 03:17 PM
I use it quite a bit with Poser and for a less-expensive piece of software, you can get some pretty big results out of it. It does take quite a while to render a higher resolution picture on it, but that will happen with any program. The only thing I would change on it are the controls, which aren't very straight-forward. Other than that, I thik it does a great job of letting you decide how much detail you want in a picture.

Cloud Strife
12-04-2002, 03:18 PM
Algebra 2 is fuking stupid... I thought Algebra 2 was a fun class.;) I got an 105% A+ in that class in High School.

EHWfedPres
12-04-2002, 03:19 PM
I thought Algebra 2 was a fun class.;) I got an 105% A+ in that class in High School.

Oh yeah, it was so much fun, i took it twice...cause i failed it the first time. :(

tennyson
12-04-2002, 03:22 PM
Try Calc 2....ugh. I had to take that course 3 times, and I actually do pretty well in my math courses!

VeNoMiZA
12-04-2002, 03:23 PM
i took algebra one twice failed it my ninth grade year and i had to re do it in summer school 6 hours in it everyday :( thats makes up for the 180 hours i failed:(

Cloud Strife
12-04-2002, 03:24 PM
Try Calc 2....ugh. I had to take that course 3 times, and I actually do pretty well in my math courses! My Trig Professor in college kept teliing my class Calculus 2 is very, very hard. :eek: I have to take it next year.:(

tennyson
12-04-2002, 03:30 PM
My Trig Professor in college kept teliing my class Calculus 2 is very, very hard. :eek: I have to take it next year.:(

My problem was that I got arrogant and thought I could pass it without paying too much attention (since I aced Calc 1). Well, that didn't work. By the time I had to take it again, all of the Calc 1 material that the course was based off of wasn't fresh in my mind. Take Calc 1 and Calc 2 as close together as possible. If you do well in the first one, the second class shouldn't give you that much difficuly (just don't do what I did, and pay attention!). Calc 3 surprisingly is easier that either 1 or 2, go figure.

Leo
12-04-2002, 03:52 PM
Here's the link for 3D Studio Max, but the full version is rather expensive. This is probably one of the best pieces of software out there for people who are proficient with it.

3D Studio Max (http://www.discreet.com/products/3dsmax/)

Here's the link for Bryce and Poser, two pretty cool programs for still imaging. They're a little unorthodox to use, but still pretty impressive and usable by beginners.

Bryce 5 (http://www3.corel.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=Corel/Product/Details&id=CC1M72VRBAC)

Again, there's always Kazaa, but you didn't hear that from me. :D

Thank you VERY VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!

HMMM... this is what I was really intresing in.

But do developers use those kinds of programs to check if the animation is going to work?

So 3D studio Max 5 comes with a manual and CD for PC right?

How much is the full version? I can't find the price.

HHmm. I saw couple of pics. SO I belive that I can use on my PC right? ANd I can make all kinds of 3D models with anmiation right?

Hmmm.. very intresting.

Do you think I could creat one 3D model with animation with this program myself at age 12?

Thank you very much. It helped me a lot.

EHWfedPres
12-04-2002, 03:55 PM
im pretty sure 3d studios max is around the 100 dollar mark, if not more...cause thats about what poser 4 is/was (poser 5 is out now i think)...but i got it for free so i dont care.

Leo
12-04-2002, 07:28 PM
im pretty sure 3d studios max is around the 100 dollar mark, if not more...cause thats about what poser 4 is/was (poser 5 is out now i think)...but i got it for free so i dont care.

I found the REAL price of 3d studios max. The price is 3,195.00$.

That program is for proffesional. I need something cheaper and something that for begginers.

Afro Aura
12-04-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Leo

I found the REAL price of 3d studios max. The price is 3,195.00$.

That program is for proffesional. I need something cheaper and something that for begginers.
in all honestly I think any programming language is a start in the right direction, so as everyone has told you start with C++ and see how you get on with that, all you have to do is do a couple of demos for yourself and if your happy with them then your off to a life of programming, but be weary as programming isn't a fun life coding to the early hours, killing your social life etc, etc

MerimacHamwich
12-04-2002, 09:28 PM
Alright, let me tell you this. In order to be any sort of programmer you will need to be good at math. You don't have to go to Full Sail or Digipen in order to make games. You can go to any College or University and take software engineering or computer sciences. Most of the people replying to this thread aren't even out of highschool yet, so don't take their opinion as the end all be all of how to become a video programmer.

You can download 3d studio max. You can aso get a program called milk shape. It is a very simple program to use to make 3d models. Ofcourse this isn't how the pro's do it, but it is still use able.

You can buy a textbook on C++ which includes a cd of the program for around 150$ canadian. However, like someone previously said, it isn't easy. I will be working alot with it next semester in one of my engineering classes.

Cloud Strife
12-04-2002, 09:30 PM
I will have to take a C++ programming class next semester. I am majoring in engineering and they are forcing me to take it. Maybe I need to do a career change like TV/Broadcasting, my specialty.;)

Leo
12-04-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Alright, let me tell you this. In order to be any sort of programmer you will need to be good at math. You don't have to go to Full Sail or Digipen in order to make games. You can go to any College or University and take software engineering or computer sciences. Most of the people replying to this thread aren't even out of highschool yet, so don't take their opinion as the end all be all of how to become a video programmer.

You can download 3d studio max. You can aso get a program called milk shape. It is a very simple program to use to make 3d models. Ofcourse this isn't how the pro's do it, but it is still use able.

You can buy a textbook on C++ which includes a cd of the program for around 150$ canadian. However, like someone previously said, it isn't easy. I will be working alot with it next semester in one of my engineering classes.

Where can I download Milk Shape or 3d studio max? Are Milk Shape or 3d Studio Max are FREE TO DOWNLOAD?
Please give me a link on both of these programs Milk Shape and 3D studio Max. Where can I download them?

Thank you for your help.

MerimacHamwich
12-04-2002, 09:47 PM
Milkshape is free to download here (http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ms3d/download.html) but unfortunately 3d studiomax is not free to download unless you want to pirate it. In that case you have to download it from azaa or some other filesharing program. However, I would caution against using fileshring programs as virus' run rampant there, like STDs in Africa. No offense intended to any Africans.

VeNoMiZA
12-04-2002, 09:52 PM

thx mer at least i know my shat :D

Leo
12-04-2002, 10:12 PM
Milkshape is free to download here (http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ms3d/download.html) but unfortunately 3d studiomax is not free to download unless you want to pirate it. In that case you have to download it from azaa or some other filesharing program. However, I would caution against using fileshring programs as virus' run rampant there, like STDs in Africa. No offense intended to any Africans.

Thank you VERY VERY VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWWW man!!!!!!!!!! I know it's not the end. But I am still happy.

If it wasn't for you ALL of you guys I don't think I would know how to be a developer.

I am NOT a developer yet. I need to try out some trciks on that program called Milk Shape.

Then as soon I will get to highschool I will talk with my teachers and we will see what happens. I might be a developer!!!!!!!

Then I am going to show some 3d models to my parents and see what they will say.

I know I have a long way toward that. But in the future we will see what happens.

Ohh can I ask you a question?

If I will create one 3d model by using Milk Shape can I like show it to you on this forum? If I do then tell me how to do it just for the future ok?

Thank you very very much!!!!

See guys!

I will send you reply as soon I will make my first model.

Kraft
12-04-2002, 10:29 PM
Leo, the best of luck to you with learning that stuff. Actual computer programming comes fairly natural to me, and I had no idea how to make a character model.

If you ever happen to make an xbox game, I will buy it. Whether or not it sucks, just so I can think to myself "wow... Leo made this" and sit back in awe!

Professor Kaos
12-04-2002, 10:33 PM
Try this site Game Recruiter (GameRecruiter.com share ) it might help.

Here is some info too
Artist

Types of artists:

Artist
Animator
Modeler
Texture art
Character animator
Skins artist
2D artist
3D artist

Tools of the trade:

3D Studio Max
Photoshop
Maya

Programmer

Types of programmers:

Junior programmer
Programmer
Senior programmer
Lead programmer
Tech director
Director/VP of engineering

Experience:

C, C++, Java, and Assembly
Network
Physics / Math / 3D
Artificial intelligence (AI)
Specialization in graphics

Designer

Types of designers:

Level designer
Game designer
Senior designer
Creative director

Experience:

3D Studio Max
Scripting experience
Organizational skills
Project management software

Producer

Types of producers:

Assistant producer
Associate producer
Producer
Senior producer
Executive producer

Skills:

Great scheduling ability
Organizational skills
Leadership ability
Ability to direct development of a project from start to finish while meeting deadlines
MS Office

MerimacHamwich
12-04-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Leo

Thank you VERY VERY VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWWW man!!!!!!!!!! I know it's not the end. But I am still happy.

If it wasn't for you ALL of you guys I don't think I would know how to be a developer.

I am NOT a developer yet. I need to try out some trciks on that program called Milk Shape.

Then as soon I will get to highschool I will talk with my teachers and we will see what happens. I might be a developer!!!!!!!

Then I am going to show some 3d models to my parents and see what they will say.

I know I have a long way toward that. But in the future we will see what happens.

Ohh can I ask you a question?

If I will create one 3d model by using Milk Shape can I like show it to you on this forum? If I do then tell me how to do it just for the future ok?

Thank you very very much!!!!

See guys!

I will send you reply as soon I will make my first model.

No problem buddy. That milk shape program is what alot of people use to make skins and models for Quake and Unreal games.

I am not sure about the posting the 3d image here. You would have to take a screenshot of the skin and then host that image at a website and post the link to it here. Or else just attach the file to one of your posts. We wouldn't be able to see it in 3d though.

# 1 Stunner
12-04-2002, 10:45 PM
too many big words to much to understand..now i see why im a big bball playa...:eek: :D

MerimacHamwich
12-04-2002, 10:53 PM
I just wanted to say that algebra is not a hard math course. Calculus is probably the hardet math course. Still not impossible but hard. All I will say is that I am passing my calculus courses and my mark is above 55%. I am too embarassed to say what it is exactly. I should be doing way better. Ah well, that is what the final is for! Good ol' 30%er. My friends engineering classes have finals worth 60% of their mark. :eek:

tacticsman
12-05-2002, 04:55 PM
Leo, you should pick up a book called get in the game by Mark Mencer( the guy who runs www.gamerecuter.com). I am 13 and also want to be a game devalper and found this book very helpful.