PDA

View Full Version : OLD XBOX vs NEW XBOX DEBATE

DZNUTZ
12-04-2002, 04:02 PM
aight tech heads...gather around.

i have a question/Delimea and need some advice.

as many know....some of the newer produced games (GHOST RECON for exmp.) are having issues with older xbox's with the original dvd-rom drive.

now..without getting into the whole...MS is repairing it for free/no their charging people...for a hardware change, arguement (not to mention the mandotory turn around time).......

WHAT WOULD BE THE ADVANTAGES AND/OR DISADVANTAGES OVER THE OLDER AND NEWER MODELS?

in my case..its like dis.
i have a launch model xbox.
my cop of GR freezez occasionaly.

but i have an extended warranty where i can just bring in my xbox and exchange it on site...no questions asked.

should I?

what..if any differences can i expect?

Extra credit question
what options do i have available to save all my info and transfer to my new xbox if I end up getting one.
is their any alternatives besides the whole memorey card angle?
and if not...i don't even have a memorey card...and how many would i need to temporaroley store all the info on my HD?

EHWfedPres
12-04-2002, 04:04 PM
if you exchange your Xbox, do you lose all your save games and soundtracks and everything like that?

Casper
12-04-2002, 04:05 PM
Well, I know that the major difference between the older and newer models is the laser that is used. It's not as strong and set correctly on the older ones, thus causing these recent problems.

what options do i have available to save all my info and transfer to my new xbox if I end up getting one.
and if not...i don't even have a memorey card...and how many would i need to temporaroley store all the info on my HD?

You'll need a memory card to transfer the stuff.....shouldn't need more than one tho.

I'll be back to this when I get home later :)

Casper
12-04-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
if you exchange your Xbox, do you lose all your save games and soundtracks and everything like that?

You can copy your saved games onto a memory card, but not your soundtracks...that would be piracy...kinda.

DZNUTZ
12-04-2002, 04:06 PM
of course..unless i found away of transferring it...which is part of my question

Plewis
12-04-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by casper
Well, I know that the major difference between the older and newer models is the laser that is used. It's not as strong and set correctly on the older ones, thus causing these recent problems.

MS made the lasers not as strong was because it helps against piracy and cd-r's. I vaguely remember reading on a mod site that you can fix it pretty easily... I forget where or how though so I'm not much help sorry:(

Knight
12-04-2002, 04:09 PM
What % of the old ones have this problem? Because my XBox reads evey thing right!

EHWfedPres
12-04-2002, 04:40 PM
if your like me, you'd need 50 memory cards to transfer all the files!:(

DZNUTZ
12-04-2002, 04:47 PM
thats what i was thinking

Gameman732
12-04-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
aight tech heads...gather around.

i have a question/Delimea and need some advice.

as many know....some of the newer produced games (GHOST RECON for exmp.) are having issues with older xbox's with the original dvd-rom drive.

now..without getting into the whole...MS is repairing it for free/no their charging people...for a hardware change, arguement (not to mention the mandotory turn around time).......

WHAT WOULD BE THE ADVANTAGES AND/OR DISADVANTAGES OVER THE OLDER AND NEWER MODELS?

in my case..its like dis.
i have a launch model xbox.
my cop of GR freezez occasionaly.

but i have an extended warranty where i can just bring in my xbox and exchange it on site...no questions asked.

should I?

what..if any differences can i expect?

Extra credit question

Whazzup !

Gameman732 here...Visiting from fxb

I recently got my xbox repaired (New drive installed) and one of the major differences I noticed is, it's much more quiet. It was never loud but you could hear the fan. Now, nada.
I used to get DDE's all the time playing the newer xbox games
(It started with MOH:F, then U.C.) I called 1-800-4my-xbox & purchased the 1 year warrantee. ($26.87) I was surprised I could
still get it, even though my xbox was 11 months old (at the time)
Now, no DDE's. OXM demo's play flawlessly and the best part, Now I can save my burned CD's on the harddrive(Memorex cdrw4x
& windows media player v9)
It took 6 days from the time Airborne express picked up my xbox
to the day it was returned. I was able to keep all my game saves
& soundtracks. Hope that helps
:cool:

DZNUTZ
12-04-2002, 05:58 PM
thanx for the info and welcome to XBA....da best damn xbox forum site on da net.

my dumbass totally forgot that my cuz has an xbox now in the living room...
i'll probably buy 1 memory card (unless someone wants to lend me theirs ..hint hint) and slowly but surely treansfer all my files to his temporarely....
then go to eb...exchange it for a brandnew xbox (hopefulley one with the sega combo) and then transfer my files back.

Gameman732
12-04-2002, 06:01 PM
No problem & thanks for the welcome !:)

Stifler
12-04-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Gameman732
No problem & thanks for the welcome !:)

Gameman, sup bro!

Gameman732
12-04-2002, 06:11 PM
Whazzup Stifler !

Howzit hangin' ?:cool:

Cloud Strife
12-04-2002, 06:12 PM
I have had my Xbox since 11/15/01, played mine every single day since then. This is what happens.

-OXM disk rarely work. The only time they work is when I boil them.
-My Jet Set Radio Future has problems loading up. Sometimes the sound doesn't come up.
-My Quantum Redshift likes to say I have no more space in my harddrive to save and it has trouble loading up.
-I just traded to get a used Outlaw Golf, during the middle of the game, it struggles to load up and freezes on me.
-95% of the games I rent are Blockbuster don't work. 75% of the time I am the first one to rent the game.
-I have had a total of 150 Disc Read Errors
-My Crash Bandicoot has trouble loading on Bonus Stages.
-Mad Dash Racing has a short hiccup before I play a course.

I did not purchase the warranty to my Xbox. The good news is my Xbox does work. My Xbox only likes games that I buy brand new. When I play those games they run almost perfectly. I want to clean my Xbox disc drive and games because I know they are very dusty. I just don't want to mess them up. I am considering purchasing a new Xbox next year like a did with my launch Playstation. Buy a new one after owning it 2 years.

Sorry for my long post.;)

Gameman732
12-04-2002, 06:16 PM
Why buy a new xbox? Spend $26.87 , get the warrantee, let M$
fix your old xbox & make it like New !

Cloud Strife
12-04-2002, 06:21 PM
Why buy a new xbox? Spend $26.87 , get the warrantee, let M$
fix your old xbox & make it like New ! I thought the warranty was $50 and was your Xbox bought on 11/15/01?

Stifler
12-04-2002, 06:30 PM
Whazzup Stifler !

Howzit hangin' ?:cool:

Chillin while the snow storm outside is at it's peak.

Gameman732
12-04-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
I thought the warranty was $50 and was your Xbox bought on 11/15/01?

...I've been spreading the good word on the xbox warrantee deal
EVERYWHERE...So...here I go again...

1 Year extended warrantee $26.87 tax incl.
2 years $51 & change (I forget the exact amt)

You could have gotten your xbox at launch, as long as it's WORKING (that's key, it must be working)
you are eligible for the warrantee.
You must have a credit card to purchase the warrantee !
After you have purchased it, Say (heaven forbid) your xbox breaks
down/dies. Call 1-800-4my-xbox, tell em your problem. They will
in turn, send you a shipping box. When you get the box, pack up
your xbox according to the enclosed directions & call Airborne
(or whatever carrier xbox is using in your area) & have them pick
up your xbox. Find something to occupy your time for a week or so
and soon, a magical person will arrive at your door, holding a repaired xbox...still under warrantee !:cool:

Gameman732
12-04-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Stifler

Chillin while the snow storm outside is at it's peak.

Yeah...Chicago got it a couple of days ago..not as bad as you guys though... Stay warm !:D

ARONO129
12-04-2002, 07:09 PM

...I've been spreading the good word on the xbox warrantee deal
EVERYWHERE...So...here I go again...

1 Year extended warrantee $26.87 tax incl.
2 years $51 & change (I forget the exact amt)

You could have gotten your xbox at launch, as long as it's WORKING (that's key, it must be working)
you are eligible for the warrantee.
You must have a credit card to purchase the warrantee !
After you have purchased it, Say (heaven forbid) your xbox breaks
down/dies. Call 1-800-4my-xbox, tell em your problem. They will
in turn, send you a shipping box. When you get the box, pack up
your xbox according to the enclosed directions & call Airborne
(or whatever carrier xbox is using in your area) & have them pick
up your xbox. Find something to occupy your time for a week or so
and soon, a magical person will arrive at your door, holding a repaired xbox...still under warrantee !:cool:

I bought an extended warranty from the store I puchased my Xbox at. A two year warranty. I'm really pi$$ed that MS doesn't offer their extended warranty to Canadians.

ARONO129
12-04-2002, 07:18 PM
BTW I asked a MS Rep if there was a diff between the specs of the Xbox at launch and the Sega bundle. The answer was that there have been no changes. I don't believe them. I read that not all the Sega bundle Xboxes in North America have the most recent drive.

laughs
12-04-2002, 08:49 PM
Hey gameman....my brother from the other land. How you doing? Well I have the old xbox.... Is that a bad thing? I have no warrantee so I suck the big one. Do you seriously think its worth my time and money(how much money by the way) to get the upgrade?

Stifler
12-04-2002, 09:01 PM

Yeah...Chicago got it a couple of days ago..not as bad as you guys though... Stay warm !:D

Not possible, it was -21 today :confused:

Gameman732
12-04-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by laughs2907
Hey gameman....my brother from the other land. How you doing? Well I have the old xbox.... Is that a bad thing? I have no warrantee so I suck the big one. Do you seriously think its worth my time and money(how much money by the way) to get the upgrade?

Laughs...My ace #1 coon boon ! whatcha up2? Yep, spend that
$26.87 & get the warrantee if ya' can...You know M$ is bigoted
when it comes to Newfies (J/K) I really don't know if the offer
applies to Canadians. Maybe if ya' throw in a couple of cases of
Molson...:cool:

Gameman732
12-04-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Stifler

Not possible, it was -21 today :confused:

Celcius? Brrrrrrrrr .....Break out the thermals & the Jack Daniels.
Hibernation time...See Ya on the other side :eek:

laughs
12-05-2002, 07:42 AM

Laughs...My ace #1 coon boon ! whatcha up2? Yep, spend that
$26.87 & get the warrantee if ya' can...You know M$ is bigoted
when it comes to Newfies (J/K) I really don't know if the offer
applies to Canadians. Maybe if ya' throw in a couple of cases of
Molson...:cool:

Lol, yeah.....not even Bill can say no to Molson. My buddy tried to get the warrentee a while back, but couldn't:confused: ......Like you said......maybe the money, beer, and hell i'll even throw in a few cod fish to sweeten the deal may do the trick.
Anyway, nice to see you here gameman.....stick around and we'll raise a little hell aight.

Gameman732
12-05-2002, 08:12 AM
..aight! Sounds like a plan ! You bring the cold ones & the Babes.
I'll bring my thirst & the blankets...Party !:D

BL4ZE
12-05-2002, 10:18 AM
I had the same problem I got my xbox the first day it was released Nov,15,2001 and it was alright, freezin occasionaly but I lived with it. Then after I had it for a year it started gettin really bad always freezin. So I took it back to Future Shop, almost exactly a year later Nov,13,2002. And they agreed to exchange it cause I got an extended warrenty with the store. Then we realized we would lose all our saved games (me and my dad). So we asked if we could buy a memory card and save some of the files (to much time spent in morrowind to throw away) but they were all out of xbox memory cards so we went to wal-mart across the streey grabbed a memory card went back and saved the files. And it hasn't froze once since then.

Brevity
12-05-2002, 10:44 AM
W/o as big song about my recent great time with this issue (new XB two free games and a troller plus more for just my old box). I will say that Walmart will give you a new one, just say you dont have the recipt but you got it from there just two weeks ago and its not working. They will give you a exchange. When I and some friends recently did this we did it late when the dead heads where there. It worked every time and we all got a fat payoff b/c of it.

SkoalMint
12-05-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Brevity
W/o as big song about my recent great time with this issue (new XB two free games and a troller plus more for just my old box). I will say that Walmart will give you a new one, just say you dont have the recipt but you got it from there just two weeks ago and its not working. They will give you a exchange. When I and some friends recently did this we did it late when the dead heads where there. It worked every time and we all got a fat payoff b/c of it.

Just curious. Did you return the original controller with the old XBox?

DZNUTZ
12-05-2002, 12:31 PM
i just called my eb.
they said go ahead and bring just my xbox in ( i can keep the controller) and they'll give me a brand new one.

they said i couldn't get the sega bundle...but will see about that.

i deffinately make out with an extra controller tho.

now the question is....wait to borrow a memorey card to transfer my saved info temporaroley...or just buy one?

Dr_J
12-05-2002, 12:50 PM
I'd just buy one. They're cheap and come in handy taking saved games to a buddy's house.

Dr_J
12-05-2002, 12:53 PM
By the way, I'm exchanging mine this weekend because I had major problems with MOH and Mechassault's sounds keeps getting messed up. I haven't even played Ghost Recon because MA and Splinter Cell have been taking up all of my time.

Brevity
12-05-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by SkoalMint

Just curious. Did you return the original controller with the old XBox?
No the only thing I put in the box was my old Xbox, not even a cord. And I brought my old troler just in case. When the lady spied it and asked " And what about that" I had the balls no joke to say ya I want to get a new one of these to. And got all of it in one stop.:eek:

EHWfedPres
12-05-2002, 12:57 PM
the only game i have major problems with is NHL Hitz 2003. My first copy, my second copy, and my friends copy all freeze whenever i try to play...wether im in a game, starting one, just finished one, etc...

SkoalMint
12-05-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
now the question is....wait to borrow a memorey card to transfer my saved info temporaroley...or just buy one?

Depending on what games you have saved and don't want to lose, you may need more than one memory card unless they will let you transfer it all right there at the store. If I recall correctly, Halo and Morrowind both have some pretty big save files. Also, if you have saved any replays in NFL2K3, those are pretty good sized. Might want to take a look at how many blocks you are using before you take it in.

EHWfedPres
12-05-2002, 01:15 PM
Halo dont matter, you can beat that in no time and remake the character profiles which will take 5 minutes at most. Morrowind on the other hand...it would take about a month to re-make my main character, not including my other 2...we need bigger memory cards dámmit...

Cloud Strife
12-05-2002, 02:28 PM
I'm not too worried about losing my game saves if I were to purchase a new Xbox. The only saves I want to keep is Azurik, Arctic Thunder, Mad Dash Racing, Halo, Air Force Delta Storm, and Oddowrld. I better not get flamed for liking those games.;)

Dr_J
12-05-2002, 02:33 PM
Now, what about the hard drive?

Aren't the new ones smaller?

DZNUTZ
12-05-2002, 03:19 PM
i asked my eb guy(cuz i remember hearing something like that to)

which i no don't mean didley squat ,

but he a pretty infromed and cool guy..and he quickly responded ...no...their not making a smaller hard drive yet.

laughs
12-05-2002, 04:49 PM
Whats the difference? Why is the new xbox better?

Cloud Strife
12-05-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by laughs2907
Whats the difference? Why is the new xbox better? I'm hearing it has an updated drive. The same thing happened with the Playstation. The first year models were different from the second year models. I had to replace my old Playstation with a new one at that time.

EHWfedPres
12-05-2002, 04:57 PM
The only games that i would want to keep are Morrowind, NHL Hitz 2002, Wreckless (cause of cool replays), Dave mirra 2 (cause of insane records), and a few others...but then there's all my brother's games, etc.

Dr_J
12-05-2002, 05:51 PM
OK, does anyone know EXACTLY what is different? I'm talkin' what model DVD rom do they have in there now? What hard drive model?

If you call MS and ask, are they gonna tell ya your feed you a line of BS?

EHWfedPres
12-05-2002, 05:52 PM
i heard some peopel are having trouble playing new games on old xbox's...not me. sometimes is slows down when picking a character in GR or something in MechAssault...and it froze during deathrow a few times, but i cleaned the lens and it runs fine now.

laughs
12-05-2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
i heard some peopel are having trouble playing new games on old xbox's...not me. sometimes is slows down when picking a character in GR or something in MechAssault...and it froze during deathrow a few times, but i cleaned the lens and it runs fine now.

Yeah, i'm pleased with mine too. I'm not gonna change it unless I run into major trouble with future games.

Shadow20002
12-05-2002, 07:51 PM
Check my post (the last one): http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=288439#post288439

Then all of you will understand about this new xbox. ;)

ARONO129
12-05-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Shadow20002
Check my post (the last one): http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=288439#post288439

Then all of you will understand about this new xbox. ;)

The Philips drive is the new one replacing Thompson. Like I mentioned when I called MS they said they had no information on any changes.

To me it doesn't matter which version I have. I bought a two year warranty for peace of mind.

BTW Madden 2003, NHL 2K3 and FIFA 2003 load times are super fast. I suspect that it has more to do with the software taking advantage of the hardware and not a better drive.