PDA

View Full Version : Halo=geforce 2?

DenniZz81
11-20-2001, 03:10 AM
I´ve heard that Halo can be run smooth and with full graphics on a fast computer with a gforce 2.

I´ve read it on a review of the system i dont remember the page but its a well known one for sure.
This could be sure beacause its a 1´st gen game...
But i think it sucks a little beacause i thought Halo used better graphics than geforce 2.

considering that the graphics in xbox is an upgraded geforce 3...

comments?

EliGC
11-20-2001, 07:19 AM
Actually you're right and wrong, Halo was already in Development when GeForce2 came out and it was being optimized for it but once Microsoft bought Bungie they optimized Halo to use Pixel and Vertex Shaders which are not supported by GeForce3. You shouldn't compare a console to the PC platform anyway.

El Pollo Loco
11-20-2001, 03:48 PM
Geforce 3 does support vertex and pixel shaders. Try running the 3dmark2001 and youll see the nature demo.

EliGC
11-21-2001, 06:52 AM
I have GeForce2 and I see the nature Demo but GeForce3 doesn't support pixel and vertex shaders, only nForce does that.

El Pollo Loco
11-21-2001, 09:46 AM
Geforce 3 and Radeon 8500 both support them. Go check the specs out at nvidia.com or ati.com.

EliGC
11-21-2001, 10:08 AM
Hello, what the hell have you been reading? No PC Video Cards supports or processes vertex and pixel shaders as nForce does. Otherwise would you care to explain to us what you're doing here?

BlaZeR2
11-21-2001, 12:12 PM
Taken from:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=geforce3

"The nfiniteFX Engine
With the nfiniteFX engine's programmability, games and other graphics-intensive applications can offer more exciting and stylized visual effects. Vertex and Pixel Shaders are two patented architectural advancements that allow for a multitude of effects."

Taken from:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=feature_nfinitefx

"With the GeForce3 and its nfiniteFX™ engine, NVIDIA introduces the world's first programmable 3D graphics chip architecture. By combining programmable vertex and pixel shading capabilities, and 3D texture technology, the nfiniteFX engine delivers unprecedented visual realism on your PC. Textures appear photorealistic; characters and living creatures have organic imperfections and unique expressions—personalities are visible.

The nfiniteFX engine gives game and multimedia application developers the freedom to create a virtually infinite number of special effects and custom looks, providing gamers and multimedia enthusiasts with the most visually exciting experiences available on a PC. The addition of programmable Vertex Shaders, Pixel Shaders, and 3D texture technology to consumer graphics processors shakes up the PC graphics market—visual quality takes a quantum leap forward."

Taken from the same page:

Vertex Shaders
Part of the nfiniteFX engine, Vertex Shaders are used to breathe life and personality into characters and environments. For example, through vertex shading developers can create true-to-life dimples or wrinkles that appear when a character smiles.

Pixel Shaders
Part of the nfiniteFX engine, Pixel Shaders alter lighting and surface effects that replace artificial, computerized looks with materials and surfaces that mimic reality.

It would appear that the GeForce 3 (with the nfiniteFX engine) supports vertex and pixel shading, and takes it a step further by making it programmable.

Just FYI.

BlaZeR2

El Pollo Loco
11-21-2001, 04:34 PM
I think Blazer2's post sums it up. Why am I here? I game on PC, XBOX, and PS2. Dont give a crap about the political "ooooh i have an xbox PS2 sucks!" i just wanna play the games. Sorry for being up to date on pc hardware in an xbox forum :P

Haine
11-21-2001, 08:13 PM
It doesnt take it a step further because the X-box has the gefroce4 so called chipset meaning Nv25 where as the geforce 3 has NV20 chipset...And i bet with a geforce2 even runs tribes liek crap at full setting with a fast machine.And all considering i dont think a comp right now could run halo as good as the X-box.i have a amd 1800 wich is a 1.5ghz and 1 gig of ddr memory with a abit kg7 raid board and geforce3 and at full tilt my tribes2 still drops below 35 at certain point's..Get 7398 on 3dmark2001 at 1024...=P

BlaZeR2
11-21-2001, 09:28 PM
well, what i meant was that the GeForce 3 takes ordinary vertex and pixel shading to the next level because it is programmable. I know that the NV25 in the xbox is also programmable, so there fore it would take ordinary vertex and pixel shading to the next level. I was by no means saying that the GeForce 3 was better than the NV25. But, as far as I know, the NV25 isn't really the GeForce 4. It is somewhat of a hybrid between 3 an 4.

Just what I have heard.

BlaZeR2