PDA

View Full Version : will fable be the ultimate rpg???

sniperdoggy
12-04-2002, 06:16 PM
i heard so far you can do anything you want in this game what i mean buy that can you go crazy in this game and what crazy things do you look far to do in this game??

Cloud Strife
12-04-2002, 06:25 PM
It would be great but I'm not sure about the ultimate. Nothing can beat Chrono Trigger in my opinion.:cool:

Liquid Gears
12-04-2002, 06:27 PM
Ahh.....rpg's blow :rolleyes:

VeNoMiZA
12-04-2002, 06:34 PM
cant wait to see a final fantasy hit the xbox if thats ever gonna happen if it does its gonna be the BEST RPG IN DA WORLD!!!! imagine seeing FF7 on XBOX remade what! that wopuld the best

Cloud Strife
12-04-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by VeNoMiZA
cant wait to see a final fantasy hit the xbox if thats ever gonna happen if it does its gonna be the BEST RPG IN DA WORLD!!!! imagine seeing FF7 on XBOX remade what! that wopuld the best I was thinking about that the other day and it would be awesome. I would like to take out the part of the story with Cloud's past while in the Town of Kalm. I would have just mad that portion the beginning of the game before Midgar.

VeNoMiZA
12-04-2002, 06:42 PM
yea that part waqs wierd :eek: i loved fighting the ultima dragon though thats how i got the ultima weapon i had all the chocobos and i had knights of the round table materia, than i gto the mimic materia so when i did the knights round the table it did it 8 times in a ROW!!!!! i love that game. i heard a FF& part 2 coming out. thats astounding to hear :D

xboxmaster2002
12-04-2002, 07:00 PM
final fantasy 7 is my favorite of the final fantasy series but i like them all, the only reason i bought a PS2 was because of the RPG's because xbox doesnt have any good ones... the only thing that sucks is there going to ruin the final fantasy series by putting it online, thats a bunch of BS... there could br a possible xbox version of final fantasy is the unix/square thing goes over and they want to make games for xbox that would be great.

Xbox Owner
12-04-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears

So true, so true.:(

xboxmaster2002
12-04-2002, 08:14 PM

why because you actually have to think unlike those 2d button mashing fighters...

Originally posted by Xbox Owner

So true, so true.:(

so does the WWE

Liquid Gears
12-04-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by xboxmaster2002
why because you actually have to think unlike those 2d button mashing fighters...

You're sad, guy :rolleyes:

xboxmaster2002
12-04-2002, 08:24 PM

You're sad, guy :rolleyes:

why because i dissed your cartoons?

Liquid Gears
12-04-2002, 08:46 PM

why because i dissed your cartoons?

More like because you know nothing about fighting games :rolleyes:

MerimacHamwich
12-04-2002, 08:49 PM
Morrowind blew away all other RPG's except its predesessors in the Elder Scrolls series. Fable is gonna anihalate everything ever concieved before.

xboxmaster2002
12-04-2002, 08:52 PM

i know a lot about fighting games ive owned many.. and i will own capcom VS SNK2 EO its going to be fun but it doesnt take much skill.

Liquid Gears
12-04-2002, 08:55 PM

i know a lot about fighting games ive owned many.. and i will own capcom VS SNK2 EO its going to be fun but it doesnt take much skill.

Key word: Fun

Bravo_2
12-04-2002, 09:01 PM
Reasons why Fable will be a GOOD RPG:
-Open ended
-Real-Time fighitng
-Has gone where no RPG has gone before (by using an over-used cliche on my part) such as aging (Yes, I know about Nightcaster... but do you honestly want to count that as a RPG?) and battle scars
-Hundreds of quests

Reasons why Fable will not qualify as the ULTIMATE RPG:
-It doesn't have an O (Online) in front of RPG
-Combat may get repetative
-Wow, hundreds of quests... not... billions?

MerimacHamwich
12-04-2002, 10:46 PM
Ah-ha! I caught you where you are wrong! It is online my friend! The developers have not said what elements of it will be online but it will have online capabilities. Therefor you will most definetly be able to have downloadable content via xbox live, billions of missions may be coming our way.

SPARTAN VI
12-04-2002, 11:08 PM
I have followed Fable since it's codename days of Project Ego (I know I'm not the only one). I have completely sure that this will become one of the best RPGs in human kind's gaming history. The fact that it promises SO much is enough to get me excited, but the name Lionhead Studios is it's shining medal of honor which encourages me to buy it at it's release. I loved Black & White, so I'm sure I'll love Fable too.

Koopa
12-04-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by SPARTAN VI
I have followed Fable since it's codename days of Project Ego (I know I'm not the only one). I have completely sure that this will become one of the best RPGs in human kind's gaming history. The fact that it promises SO much is enough to get me excited, but the name Lionhead Studios is it's shining medal of honor which encourages me to buy it at it's release. I loved Black & White, so I'm sure I'll love Fable too.
ya black and white was great....can't wait till B&w2 comes out..by then i should have a comp that can handle it

SPARTAN VI
12-04-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Koopa

ya black and white was great....can't wait till B&w2 comes out..by then i should have a comp that can handle it

Ya lemme borrow the CD... So I can see my computer explode from the overwhelming amount of power and coolness that it will emit...

TheCovenant
12-05-2002, 12:41 AM
Hey listen merimac is right on this one.

I am primarily a fighting gamer. I like fighting games over anything. Soull calibur was the reason i spent 200 dollars on the dreamcast. (screw sonic!), but rpg are by far great pieces of work. Some rpg's tell such a deep and interesting story that you sit there and wonder " wow, i bet this will win an academy award for SOMETHING"

Fable of rpg's seems to be ground breaking.

i think it will change gaming in general forever. I think even you, liquid gears will enjoy it. did anyone say you could pick a character including fighter?

yep, im highly looking forward to fable and i dont look forward to rpg's

For admitting you think games are academy award winning pieces of cultural art, there is no power greater than X

SPARTAN VI
12-05-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by TheCovenant
Hey listen merimac is right on this one.

I am primarily a fighting gamer. I like fighting games over anything. Soull calibur was the reason i spent 200 dollars on the dreamcast. (screw sonic!), but rpg are by far great pieces of work. Some rpg's tell such a deep and interesting story that you sit there and wonder " wow, i bet this will win an academy award for SOMETHING"

Fable of rpg's seems to be ground breaking.

i think it will change gaming in general forever. I think even you, liquid gears will enjoy it. did anyone say you could pick a character including fighter?

yep, im highly looking forward to fable and i dont look forward to rpg's

For admitting you think games are academy award winning pieces of cultural art, there is no power greater than X

Good... I will budget my XBOX time around this game just so I can play some XBOX LIVE and Fable in one day to have the best gaming experience ever.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
12-05-2002, 07:36 AM
Get real man!!! I heard those terms used before.."ground breaking" " change gaming in general forever" "true rpg"......Mmm..what was the last ground breaking epic true role playing game called?...oh..i think it was called Morrowind. Sorry guys..but morrowind was a sleeping pill on a dvd...outside of some of the guys on the board..i don't think that anybody bought..Did MW even pass a million copys yet.....it looks like fable is going to take it's place along side of morrowind in the great bargin bin of true role playing games....i think the top selling role playing game is going to be final fantasy x 2......i don't think that the ultimate role playing game has yet to be made....The ultimate role playing game has to bring together the japanese style and the western style...in one cool game...so everyone can enjoy it. I don't see that in fable, but i will keep an open mind about it....anything is possible:cool:

tennyson
12-05-2002, 08:52 AM
I personally didn't like the Final Fantasy series (it felt like the story railroaded you), but I'm a HUGE fan of good RPGs and can't wait for Fable to come out.

Like XBoxMaster said, a good number of the fighting games out there are button mashers, so it's nice to sit down with an intricate RPG and explore. But then again, it's all personal taste, and to each his own!

MerimacHamwich
12-05-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy
Get real man!!! I heard those terms used before.."ground breaking" " change gaming in general forever" "true rpg"......Mmm..what was the last ground breaking epic true role playing game called?...oh..i think it was called Morrowind. Sorry guys..but morrowind was a sleeping pill on a dvd...outside of some of the guys on the board..i don't think that anybody bought..Did MW even pass a million copys yet.....it looks like fable is going to take it's place along side of morrowind in the great bargin bin of true role playing games....i think the top selling role playing game is going to be final fantasy x 2......i don't think that the ultimate role playing game has yet to be made....The ultimate role playing game has to bring together the japanese style and the western style...in one cool game...so everyone can enjoy it. I don't see that in fable, but i will keep an open mind about it....anything is possible:cool:

Just so you know, Morrowind is one of the most popular games in the world on PC and xbox. I think you should do a little more research before you post. What the hell is Final Fantasy x 2 anyway? Do you mean Final Fantasy XII? If you think Final Fantasy games are the best kind of RPG's then you have some learning and growing to do. No offense.

BL4ZE
12-05-2002, 09:55 AM
I dont think Fable will be "Ground Breaking" but I do think it will be a very addictive game. I'm a huge fan of Elder scrolls and I know Im gonna luv this.

dronezero
12-05-2002, 12:11 PM

I could say the same thing about you and RPG's, but I won't. :p

EHWfedPres
12-05-2002, 12:35 PM
Final Fantasy games suck balls...Morrowind is the best rpg ever made, the only REAL rpg on any console...until Project Ego is released (yes, Project Ego, cause fable sounds like a girly gamecube game)

Evil_Dr_Beefy
12-05-2002, 01:11 PM
C'mon guy..i didn't mean to diss morrowind....but it just bored me to death...plus it didn't appeal to the mass market like final fantasy...I just don't think that fable is going to grab the mass market by the tail..like FF.. I think the ultimate role playing game has to have elements of an open ended gameplay of morrowind and the graphic flash and production value of final fantasy.... The game that can find a common ground between Pc and console role playing game..is going to change gaming as we know it. So what do you guys think.....

EHWfedPres
12-05-2002, 01:13 PM
Who really cares if alot of other people like a game? That does not make it any better, and it will not make me like it. The only thing Final Fantasy has going for it is a bunch of japanese idiots that dont know a good game from a piece of shìt.

xboxmaster2002
12-05-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
Who really cares if alot of other people like a game? That does not make it any better, and it will not make me like it. The only thing Final Fantasy has going for it is a bunch of japanese idiots that dont know a good game from a piece of shìt.

your probally all mad because you suck at that kind of RPG... and its too hard to beat so you gave up and now your all agianst them. Morrowind sucks all that old midevil **** and how can somone like morrowind, look how buggy the damn game is its crazy.

Slacker
12-05-2002, 02:02 PM
FF isn't an RPG in the true meaning of the word Morrowind is the best so far , Fable will be a true RPG , FF is like taking ride on the pirates of the caribbean , your on a track looking at stuff , Morrowind you can do whatever you want, FF is and Action game that you choose scripted paths , it sucks

MerimacHamwich
12-05-2002, 02:17 PM
C'mon guy..i didn't mean to diss morrowind....but it just bored me to death...plus it didn't appeal to the mass market like final fantasy...I just don't think that fable is going to grab the mass market by the tail..like FF.. I think the ultimate role playing game has to have elements of an open ended gameplay of morrowind and the graphic flash and production value of final fantasy.... The game that can find a common ground between Pc and console role playing game..is going to change gaming as we know it. So what do you guys think.....

Have you seen the graphics in Fable? have you heard about the open endedness of it.

MerimacHamwich
12-05-2002, 02:19 PM

your probally all mad because you suck at that kind of RPG... and its too hard to beat so you gave up and now your all agianst them. Morrowind sucks all that old midevil **** and how can somone like morrowind, look how buggy the damn game is its crazy.

I could beat the Final Fantasy games in my sleep. Seriously, there is nothing to it. They get way more boring than the Elder Scroll's series. Medieval stuff is cool to me. Maybe you don't like Morrowind becuase it is too hard.

Cloud Strife
12-05-2002, 02:39 PM
I still consider Final Fantasy as an RPG but I call it a Japaneese traditional RPG.

xboxmaster2002
12-05-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich

I could beat the Final Fantasy games in my sleep. Seriously, there is nothing to it. They get way more boring than the Elder Scroll's series. Medieval stuff is cool to me. Maybe you don't like Morrowind becuase it is too hard.

i had morrowind it was *** i played for like 50 hrs it got repetitive that game had nothing hard about it and the fighting was the ****yest fighting i have ever seen.

MerimacHamwich
12-05-2002, 03:10 PM
What did you do in the 50hours of gameplay? Follow the main story line or strike out on your own? I just cannot get it through my head how Final Fantasy is better? Did you perhaps join a guild and become the leaser of it? Or did you join one of the main houses and get your own fortress and upgrade it? Perhaps you just went Tomb Raiding. Then again there is always following the main storyline and becoming a ___. I will not give it away. What bugs are you talking about anyhow?

NOTE:
I don't think you could ever play 50hrs of any FF game and not get bored. I think most people get bored around the 15 hours mark. Seeing as it only takes round 10 hours to beat.

No Fear 23
12-05-2002, 04:06 PM
not a big fan of RPG

EHWfedPres
12-05-2002, 05:03 PM
I guess people with a big imagination like myself like real rpg's like Morrowind...and people who want their hand held thru the linear path would like FF games more. I want freedom in my rpg's. and most importantly, i want to play the role of MY character, not some spike haired midget cartoon character.

Morrowind in buggy, but who cares, use it to your advantage.

SPARTAN VI
12-05-2002, 05:38 PM
I've played Final Fantasy 8 and 9, played Grandia 1 and 2, played Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator (probably the worst of all the ones I've played) , and Morrowind. I liked Final Fantasy 8, but 9 wasn't as fun, I think because the fighting system didn't have any improvements, nothing new or innovative about it. I absolutely LOVE Grandia (PSX), it's refreshing to play an RPG that doesnt have, "I hit you, your turn, ow, I hit you, your turn, ow", you can actually cancel out your opponents moves, move around the arena, the battle system was just very creative, not to mention Grandia 1 & 2 had both VERY GOOD STORIES (TheCovenant would HAVE to agree). Septerra, ehh, more FF-ish, boring after a week, bug-tastic (need a patch to actually finish the game, otherwise you've wasted $30), and dated graphics. Morrowind stands tall, I am the only person in my group of buds that actually beat it. Morrowind was great, new, very creative, lacked a solid storyline, but who cares when you can practically make your own. I was master of the Fighter's Guild, House Hllalu, and some others that I forgot ( I sold the game months ago), it was fun, but I really wanted to be a vampire (couldn't because I already passed the Corprus Disease part and beat them game :( )

I have complete faith in Fable, if it doesn't do well in Japan, I don't care, their loss. They can do their, "I hit you, your turn, ow, I hit you, your turn, ow", while I have a blast with Fable. The Japanese games get old after playing 5 of 'em, but they're still nice to fall back on.

EHWfedPres
12-05-2002, 05:50 PM
I think it goes kind of liek this...

If you want to watch your rpg's, play some linear japanese piece of crap action game.
If you want to play your rpg's, play Morrowind or Project Ego or Ultima something.

Japanese rpg's are just action games. character development, a level system, and evolving plot line does not make a game an rpg. :rolleyes:

Cloud Strife
12-05-2002, 07:50 PM
I think it goes kind of liek this...

If you want to watch your rpg's, play some linear japanese piece of crap action game.
If you want to play your rpg's, play Morrowind or Project Ego or Ultima something.

Japanese rpg's are just action games. character development, a level system, and evolving plot line does not make a game an rpg. :rolleyes: Like characters falling in love.

EHWfedPres
12-05-2002, 07:54 PM
why do I always spell 'like' wrong?

SPARTAN VI
12-05-2002, 07:59 PM
why do I always spell 'like' wrong?

Dunno, guess thats what happens when we play video games a lot. My pointer fingers bend outward when I put them next to each other. I just like to call that GAMER FINGER!:eek:

EHWfedPres
12-05-2002, 08:03 PM
my thumb always hurts after playing 4 hours of Dave Mirra 2...mostly wipeout mode, but it really hurts after some 3 minute runs...:(

Dre
12-05-2002, 08:33 PM
I still don't get why some people get their panties in such a bunch when someone says FF is an RPG. Get yer head outta yer arse...it is an RPG.

Am I wrong by calling Street Fighter II a fighting game? NO.
Am I wrong by calling Dead or Alive 3 a fighting game? NO.

These games are two completely different genres of fighting games, yet they are still called fighting games. Some people fail to realize that even though you are categorizing a game in one genre, that doesn't mean that there can't be sub-genre's in that genre. In my example of fighting games, pretty obvious I was referring to 2D platform and 3D fighting games.

Applying this to the RPG genre, I basically see 2 sub-genres. On one side you have the Japanese RPG where FF is a classic example. This genre is driven by stat improving, a strong story-line that "guides you" through the game and traditionnally it has minimal exploration and character creation capabilities.

On the other hand, we have the American RPG where Morrowind is a good example. This genre puts its emphasis on exploration. You are usually given many options for character creation and you are in control of what to do and where to go.

And BTW, I played over 200 hours of Morrowind, so I think I'm qualified to say, that ya.. it sucks. My reasons would not be all that valid had I played it on PC instead, but it was a very crappy and buggy port. Graphics blew... comon.. what was up with that draw distance? Putting fog everywhere to hide the fact that the devs didn't put in extra time to get familiar with the Xbox's hardware is lame and got annoying after a short while. Difficulty was very stupid too. I didn't see the point in continuing to play when 5 foes fighting against me didn't even get me nervous.

Now, on to the topic of Fable. Yes.. its going to be an amazing game. Its going to be a revolutionary game. Its going to be a game that even the biggest RPG-hater won't be able to ignore. Its going to sell Xbox's. I've read alot on this game, and I visit the developer's forums. So many cool things have been mentioned, I can't wait to see the things that are being kept secret! Of course, this last paragraph is assuming that Big Blue Box can come through with everything they're promising for this game.

Dre
12-05-2002, 08:38 PM
One other thing, its pretty lame to defend a game by saying that someone else didn't like it because they sucked at it. Bit more intelligence than that in the posts would be nice...

Bigwig
12-06-2002, 12:26 PM
Has anyone ever played BG, PST, or the IWD series on the PC? God Bioware, and Blackisles make Square look bad.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
12-06-2002, 04:28 PM
I played icewind dale and fallout.....two great roleplaying games...bioware kicks some major role playing @ss. The production value of those boys and girls at square can not be beat....they (square) seem to go that extra mile....with cool music..and some of the best designs in a video game i have ever seen....Let's just suppose that square did make an all new final fantasy type of roleplaying game for the xbox useing all of the xbox's power....going up against fable or biowares latest...which one would sellout the fastest?

Dre
12-06-2002, 05:05 PM
I played icewind dale and fallout.....two great roleplaying games...bioware kicks some major role playing @ss. The production value of those boys and girls at square can not be beat....they (square) seem to go that extra mile....with cool music..and some of the best designs in a video game i have ever seen....Let's just suppose that square did make an all new final fantasy type of roleplaying game for the xbox useing all of the xbox's power....going up against fable or biowares latest...which one would sellout the fastest?

Well, if it was going up against Fable 2, I'd have to say tough call. Against Fable, the Square game would probably sell more at first just on name recognition. I think that Fable is going to be much greater than any Square game however.. and luckily, unlike a Square game, the Xbox will see Fable :D

Square, imo, has 2 things down.

1. CG. I have yet to see ANYTHING compare to the rendered movies that Square produces. And I'm talking about videogames as well as feature box-office films.

2. Story. Every FF game I have played has had a really incredible enthralling storyline thats pushed me to play incredibly ridiculous long game sittings :)

The Square turn-based fighting system sorta sucks, but with such an extensive amount of spells and attacks at your disposal I think it works.

I'm really looking forward to Sudeki that presents a brand new solution to this sort of problem. Real-time fighting, but when you need to go to a menu to select a combo move or a magic spell, the fighting goes into slo-mo à la Matrix-style. So you actually have to know what you want to select, and you have to go about it fast or you're gonna get your butt kicked!

SPARTAN VI
12-06-2002, 05:13 PM
I haven't heard of Bioware until Neverwinter Nights. I was never a real big PC RPG player either, but I hope I can see more of them on my XBOX. What more can we ask for? Bioware AND Lionhead, working on the same console. It'll be a great RPG year for XBOX.

Bigwig
12-07-2002, 12:48 AM

Right away Square would because of the fan base but over time quality would rise to the top easy. Square compared to Bioware is like night and day. Bioware does everything better. Neverwinter Nights had a lousy single player game but over all Bioware and Blackisles do everything better.

Their chracters look like real heros, not panzy a$$es

50 times more spells

cooler looking weapons (no stupid looking giant razor blade)

Cooler monsters, you can see that in BGDA even though BGDA is not really a Bioware game.

wayyy better combat.
Taking down an Archmage in BG 2 is unreal

Way better stories

much more interesting enamies

more realism and roleplaying

I'll give Square credit over Bio for theatrics but thats it. Even

Bioware has caught up with graphics with KOTOR.
Bioware Fantasy looks like my sig. FF looks like a waste of good graphics.

Cloud Strife
12-07-2002, 08:15 AM
Why does everyone compare Square to Bioware. I think it would be more fair to compare Square to Game Arts and Bioware to Bethesda(sp). I'll say this though, Game Arts RPG games kick the butt out of Squaresoft, especially Lunar 1 and 2.;)

Bigwig
12-07-2002, 02:13 PM
I think the reason why people compare Square to Bio and Blackisles as I did was that Bio and Black have worked together and toped the PC RPG market, and they are just starting to inch into the console market where the FF series has the market. It like when a great boxer moves up or down in weight to fight another great boxer with contrasting styles. I will say though the Lunar series has some nice stories and any type of RPG combat is better then Squares. Though of all games Kingdom Hearts has some smooth combat.

MXSmkin
12-07-2002, 02:45 PM
Fable will probaly be the ultimate rpg on all video gaming consoles. But nothing can compare to Everquest on the computer in my opinon.

EHWfedPres
12-07-2002, 04:33 PM
Compared to Morrowind, Final Fantasy games are not even rpg's...just action games, thats all.:o

Cloud Strife
12-07-2002, 04:59 PM
Compared to Morrowind, Final Fantasy games are not even rpg's...just action games, thats all.:o I would say more of an interactive movie.

MXSmkin
12-07-2002, 05:08 PM
FF is something japenese like to call a rpg game.

MXSmkin
12-07-2002, 05:15 PM
FF is a CRPG not a RPG.
A great CRPG should have a strong story and truckload of subquests. WERD! AGREE?

MerimacHamwich
12-07-2002, 05:51 PM
Final Fantasy has 0 subquests.

CRPG means computer rpg. Final Fantasy is an RPG, but a pretty bad series of Rpgs.

Cloud Strife
12-07-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by MXSmkin
FF is something japenese like to call a rpg game. I call it an RPG. But a linear RPG though.;)

MXSmkin
12-07-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Final Fantasy has 0 subquests.

CRPG means computer rpg. Final Fantasy is an RPG, but a pretty bad series of Rpgs.

exactly, FF is like a CRPG LOL