PDA

View Full Version : Xbox and Big Screen compatible?

Newaza
12-05-2002, 08:13 PM
Hello. I'm new:)

I did a search via Google and I've found conflicting info on the web.

I have a 56" Projection TV (not a HDTV). It has S-Video and Component Video accessiblility.

Can I use my Xbox w/ the TV or will it cause it damage? I understand that the TV companies/Xbox have their disclaimers because of liability. However, I would love some feeback from anyone that has first hand knowledge on this subject.

Thanks in advance.

This is a great forum!

Dre
12-05-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Newaza
Hello. I'm new:)

I did a search via Google and I've found conflicting info on the web.

I have a 56" Projection TV (not a HDTV). It has S-Video and Component Video accessiblility.

Can I use my Xbox w/ the TV or will it cause it damage? I understand that the TV companies/Xbox have their disclaimers because of liability. However, I would love some feeback from anyone that has first hand knowledge on this subject.

Thanks in advance.

This is a great forum!

Welcome! Your best bet is to write an email asking the question to your TV manufacturer, or even better, call if they have a 1-800 #.

That said, I can tell you that I have not heard one person complain of burn-in (which is the problem you'd get) with an Xbox.
All the newer tv's are better against this problem, but the older ones are a bit more susceptible. The problem, for those that don't know, is that the image (or parts of) stay the same for long periods of time and are afterwards always slightly visible on your tv.

Just contact your tv manufacturer to make sure.

stang46
12-05-2002, 08:51 PM
Generally the reason companies warn you not to use video game systems on TVs is due to static images that never move on screen. For example health maters, points etc. Generally, manufacturers ship their TVs with the contrast cranked to 100%. This produces a very bright picture but degrades picture quality as well as increases the chances for burn in.

However, with a properly callibrated TV burn in is pretty much a non issue if you are careful with your gaming. To be comletely safe you should have your contrast setting roughly 30-40% and your brightness around 50%. If you want to be exact on what these setting should be go pick up Avia guide To Home Theater. It has tests you can run so you can properly setup contrast, brightness, and all the other settings your TV has. I have been gaming on my callibrated Toshiba widescreen for quite some time with no problems whatsoever. Just be sure to crank your contrast down!!

Also I can tell you if you call the manufacturer they are going to give you a generic response saying video games can ruin your TV. However, ANY static image can cause burn in. All those little station bugs in the corner of just about every station now can easily cause burn in. Leaving your TV on CNN all day could cause burn in as well from all the static images covering the screen. Gaming is definitely not the only source for burn in.

Newaza
12-05-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by stang46
Generally the reason companies warn you not to use video game systems on TVs is due to static images that never move on screen. For example health maters, points etc. Generally, manufacturers ship their TVs with the contrast cranked to 100%. This produces a very bright picture but degrades picture quality as well as increases the chances for burn in.

However, with a properly callibrated TV burn in is pretty much a non issue if you are careful with your gaming. To be comletely safe you should have your contrast setting roughly 30-40% and your brightness around 50%. If you want to be exact on what these setting should be go pick up Avia guide To Home Theater. It has tests you can run so you can properly setup contrast, brightness, and all the other settings your TV has. I have been gaming on my callibrated Toshiba widescreen for quite some time with no problems whatsoever. Just be sure to crank your contrast down!!

Also I can tell you if you call the manufacturer they are going to give you a generic response saying video games can ruin your TV. However, ANY static image can cause burn in. All those little station bugs in the corner of just about every station now can easily cause burn in. Leaving your TV on CNN all day could cause burn in as well from all the static images covering the screen. Gaming is definitely not the only source for burn in.

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

My TV is calibrated using the 'Video Essentials' DVD. I'm assuming that is comparable to 'Avia'?

Thanks again!

Hugh_Jass
12-06-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Newaza

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

My TV is calibrated using the 'Video Essentials' DVD. I'm assuming that is comparable to 'Avia'?

Thanks again!

Sure, but that has nothing to do with burn-in. VE and Avia are not going to tell you to turn your contrast down.

If your gaming sessions are short (under two hours before changing games) and you watch regular TV programming between sessions you'll probably be at low risk for burn-in.

MXSmkin
12-07-2002, 02:34 PM
I have played a whole bunch of game systems on a my old 56 inch projection tv. I never had any problems with burn in. Good luck!:D :D :D