PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft only lost 177 Million on Xbox .....thats nothing

Slacker
12-06-2002, 02:08 PM
EDIT: I just noticed the same info is basically in the thread titled "sweet read this" or something like that by Canadianboi3 the whole article listed below

Okay considering they plan to invest 2 billion , and 1 billion is 1 thousand million.....so far they lost really not that much at all, 2 billion goes a long way ,

MICROSOFT TO INVEST 2 BILLION (yeah we knew that but it's noce to hear they are dedicated)

Software giant Microsoft Corp. said on Wednesday it would pour more resources into its efforts to carve out a position in the $10 billion video game market rather than cutting its losses and exiting from the venture.

Microsoft's Chief Financial Officer John Connors, when asked if the world's number one software maker had an "exit strategy" for the year-old Xbox video game machine, said in a Web cast: "The fallback position is probably to double down and make it successful."

Although Microsoft hasn't disclosed how much it has spent on the Xbox so far, figures released last month showed that the home entertainment division, which includes the Xbox, lost $177 million in the last quarter.

Microsoft is expected by analysts to spend more than $2 billion over five years on the Xbox machine, which launched a year ago as part of Microsoft's push to get its technology and software off the desktop and into living rooms worldwide.

Connors was speaking at the Credit Suisse First Boston annual technology conference in Scottsdale, which was closed to media.

Japan's Sony Corp, whose PlayStation consoles have been the best-selling video game machines in history, is competing aggressively with Microsoft to hold on to its leading market position.

Both the Xbox and the PlayStation 2 are now linked to the Internet, which is expected to fuel further growth in game titles as players play video games and compete against each other in virtual worlds from their living rooms.

Shares in Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft closed down 17 cents to $56.54 in Nasdaq trade after trading higher for most of the day.

this article is on xboxgamers.com mains page

Cloud Strife
12-06-2002, 02:51 PM
I heard about that a while ago. I don't know why Gamespot and fanboys of other systems make it seem like a lot of money. Bill Gates can make that money while sleeping.

I found it funny because I heard in New York, Microsoft was fined $50 for putting advertisements all over the sidewalk in New York for MSN. I think they can pay that.;)

Evil_Dr_Beefy
12-06-2002, 04:03 PM
I don't care...i don't want to lose 177 million on nothing......

Cloud Strife
12-06-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy
I don't care...i don't want to lose 177 million on nothing...... If I lost that money I'd be mad. If I were Bill, who cares.;)

Unreal
12-06-2002, 05:54 PM
The money lost was for the whole entertainment division, which includes the Xbox. Of course most of that money was due to the Xbox but who is counting ;)

Cloud Strife
12-06-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Unreal
The money lost was for the whole entertainment division, which includes the Xbox. Of course most of that money was due to the Xbox but who is counting ;) Me.:) No I guess not.;) I'm not sure what all the products ar in their home netertainment business. I know Microsoft still had a net gain of $2.1 billion dollars.

Unreal
12-06-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
Me.:) No I guess not.;) I'm not sure what all the products ar in their home netertainment business. I know Microsoft still had a net gain of $2.1 billion dollars.
The loss and profits were also just for the quarter.

FuNkY mOnK
12-06-2002, 06:41 PM
I heard about that a while ago. I don't know why Gamespot and fanboys of other systems make it seem like a lot of money. Bill Gates can make that money while sleeping.

I found it funny because I heard in New York, Microsoft was fined $50 for putting advertisements all over the sidewalk in New York for MSN. I think they can pay that.;)
it was fifty dollars for each ms butterfly, and there were thousands scattered all over new york. also while i'm here not to many people know this but MS has no debts. except them stupid butterflys.

Cloud Strife
12-06-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK

it was fifty dollars for each ms butterfly, and there were thousands scattered all over new york. also while i'm here not to many people know this but MS has no debts. except them stupid butterflys. Oh, is that what it was. I heard it on the news a while ago but I was paying too much attention to what they were saying.

EHWfedPres
12-06-2002, 07:18 PM
Bill Gates makes more than 177 mil every minute...:o

Cloud Strife
12-06-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
Bill Gates makes more than 177 mil every minute...:o I wouldn't be surprised if he made more than that.;)

ARONO129
12-06-2002, 10:50 PM
When MS bought Rare I knew they were in for the long haul. The real battle and where MS will make $ is the Xbox2 vs PS3 console wars. About six months after launch I doubted if the Xbox would survive. Not now. Xbox has "caught on" and is here to stay.

EHWfedPres
12-06-2002, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he made more than that.;)

I think he does...seriously, im not kidding.

Plewis
12-06-2002, 11:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he made more than that.;)

he makes more than more than 177 million?:confused:

SPARTAN VI
12-07-2002, 01:11 AM
Think of it this way :

Bill Gates is walking down the street, he accidentally drops let's say $500. A man picks it up and says, " Mr. Gates, you drop your money" (Yeah right.:rolleyes: ) Bill Gates has two choices :
1) Go back and get the money he dropped
-OR-
2) Say, "keep it" and make a phone call to make 50 Xs that amount.

Whattya think? He's too damn rich, if he looses any money, it's probably mere pocket change to him.

Cloud Strife
12-07-2002, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by ARONO129
When MS bought Rare I knew they were in for the long haul. The real battle and where MS will make $ is the Xbox2 vs PS3 console wars. About six months after launch I doubted if the Xbox would survive. Not now. Xbox has "caught on" and is here to stay. Yup. Microsoft buying Rare definately meants they were in for the log haul. I still can't believe there are people think the system is going to die soon.:mad:

ARONO129
12-07-2002, 10:31 AM
Yup. Microsoft buying Rare definately meants they were in for the log haul. I still can't believe there are people think the system is going to die soon.:mad:

About six months after launch even some people here were being negative about the lack of games.

Interestingly on the official Xbox site right from launch fanboys from other systems were posting that their Xbox light started flashing orange, red, etc. There were tons of posts like that there.

Now with all the solid games out, it's tough for people to doubt the Xbox now.