PDA

View Full Version : Wallace and Gromit!

Snoopy7548
12-06-2002, 05:11 PM
lol, a wallace and gromit game is comin to the xbox. the cartoons or whatever were so awesome. lol. this game looks cool, this is from ign:

The Xbox library won't be complete until it gets a game featuring an intelligent, but mute dog, a maniac penguin and a bumbling, nonplayable, human. The only thing that would make it better would be British accents for everybody. Enter BAM Entertainment's Wallace & Gromit, based on the popular UK short film characters. It's intended to be a children's game, the same way that TDK's woeful Shrek went after Claymation-loving little tykes. This one player only game is developed by Frontier and is scheduled to come out on GameCube, Xbox and PlayStation 2 next fall.

In some bizarre strange twist of fate Feathers the penguin has taken an entire zoo full of baby animals hostage with the intent of getting their parents to make diamonds for him. We know what you're thinking: "Why didn't I think of that!?" And the answer is, until you're a deranged penguin with a napoleon complex, you'll never be able to come up with such dastardly plots. But as dastardly plots usually go, there are a pair of unlikely heroes just waiting to thwart the whole thing. Again, enter Wallace & Gromit.

Gromit is the coolest non-speaking canine sidekick since Scooby-Doo and the character you'll be controlling throughout the game. Wallace is the bumbling semi-intelligent inventor half of the duo and in the game he's both your greatest ally and your biggest burden. Since you don't control Wallace, you have to solve puzzles and open passageways and what not so that he can proceed with you through levels. But his wacky inventions will be your tools of justice as you battle ferocious monkeys, robots and other dastardly enemies Feathers has under his control. Plus he's always there to tell you what to do if you get to a point where you're stuck.

It's a straight-up third person action game with lots of jumping, kicking and other creative attacks at your fingertips. Gromit will make use of his banana gun early on, which is extremely effective against monkeys, believe it or not. Shooting bananas at monkeys makes much sense as assaulting a crocodile with filet mignon, but using them to distract said monkeys makes plenty of sense.

Making fun of other games and movies is going to be a big part of W&G's appeal. The banana gun for example isn't your typical Donkey Kong style fruit shooter. No this one comes with a triple laser sight like our good friend The Predator uses. Wallace & Gromit also pays homage to the Indiana Jones character in several places early in the game, so as to keep everything nice and cheeky for the younger gamer out there. With zipline slides and a few other stealth tricks up his sleeve, one might confuse Gromit with a totally uncool, rounder version of Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell but you'd have to knock back a lot of pints to complete the thought.

Visually, Frontier has already given both Wallace & Gromit a convincing three dimensional clay figure appearance. With exaggerated, rounded features on both the face and body, it's easy to nail the shapes. The trick with popular characters like these is doing the texture work to make them look like clay rather than cartoons in a bright environment full of strong primary colors. If Team Ninja can make the ladies of DOA smooth skinned and voluptuous, then obviously Frontier can give a clay dog the proper treatment, and thy do. The stylized characters with their skinny legs and super round upper bodies is consistent throughout and shouldn't really bother you if you got into Chicken Run or those Chevron commercials with the talking cars. Personally, the talking cars sort of creep me out because they have better teeth and enunciation skills than most human television personalities and this is a sure sign that they're taking over. Anyway, this means even the animals in the game, like the elephants and whatnot look like elephant versions of Wallace & Gromit.

While the popularity of Wallace & Gromit outside of Europe is debatable, the kids do like their recognizable characters. If and when W&G take North America by storm, rolling out this game late in 2003 will be the final piece to the multimedia puzzle of world domination. Clay characters are always fun because you can mash them and spread 'em into all kinds of grotesque shapes. We'll see if Wallace & Gromit can convince the masses that clay characters can be fun in the world of videogames too.

here are a couple of screens:

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/wallyg1.jpg

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/wallyg2.jpg

Cloud Strife
12-06-2002, 05:15 PM
I don't really think this is going to be a very good game. Especially beause Bam Entertainment is publishing it.

Highlite23
12-06-2002, 05:22 PM
The animated shorts of Wallace and Gromit are hillariouse, and if they find a way to incorpaorate the humor and odd situations into the game it should be fun.

Snoop, I love that Penguin.:D

Snoopy7548
12-06-2002, 05:24 PM
lol yea, the penguin is so funny. especially with that rubber hat thingy. lol

WynnFire
12-07-2002, 12:17 AM
I can't believe they are making a game out of Wallace and Grommit! I will buy it even if it sucks, I love Wallace and Grommit.