PDA

View Full Version : XBOX: Closing in on PS2!

DOOM
12-09-2002, 12:44 AM
The gap between rival gaming consoles Xbox and PlayStation 2 is narrowing, with latest figures from research analyst Inform showing Sony’s gaming console sales is ahead by just 4 per cent.

According to the figures, Xbox has boosted its weekly market share to 46 per cent over the past eight weeks in the lead-up to the Christmas season. In contrast, PlayStation 2 console sales have dropped from over 80 per cent of total market share to 54 per cent in the same period.

Xbox sold 13,072 consoles in the week ending 24 November, while PlayStation sales reached 14,235. Nintendo’s GameCube, which has suffered a steady decline in sales over the past two months, chalked up just 1151 console sales in the same week.

Inform research analyst Phil Burnham says there are several different factors influencing sales of the gaming consoles, including the number of game titles available and the bundle packs offered with each of the consoles. Xbox is currently being sold in a Christmas bundle pack with three games and a DVD.

The number of game titles being released by the two companies prior to Christmas will also play a significant role in bumping up the amount of consoles sold by both companies in November/December, he said.

Harvey Norman managing director John Slack-Smith said the trend reported by Inform has been evident in recent store sales.

“The Xbox with the Christmas bundle pack has been very well received, and [Xbox] has a great take-up rate,” he said. “The marketing war between PlayStation and Xbox is absolutely in full swing.”

LINK:
http://pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php?taxid=1783241437&id=956191564&fp=2&fpid=1
;)

carlbme
12-09-2002, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by DOOM
Xbox is currently being sold in a Christmas bundle pack with three games and a DVD.

Oh please show me a link to that. I have heard of several different bundles, but not that one.

xboxmaster2002
12-09-2002, 01:18 AM
thats good news, i made a 1000$ bet with somoe saying that the xbox consoles sold in the US will be within 5 million of PS2 by the time xbox/PS3 come out.. maybe thats a stupid bet and maybe not anyways go Microsoft.

LynxFX
12-09-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by carlbme
Oh please show me a link to that. I have heard of several different bundles, but not that one.
I believe Costco had that bundle. It was basically the same GT 2002 and JSRF bundle plus the dvd kit and one other game. Although I don't personally recall seeing a third game but I wasn't paying that much attention.

BCan
12-09-2002, 03:24 AM
This is Australian data, using the chain Harvey Norman to back up the evidence experienced by the data....

I always knew us Aussie's were a smart bunch!!

Flood
12-09-2002, 06:41 AM
its all just fancy numbers....hehe

sales figures are never accurate...

a lot of times sales figures are based on number of pieces that stores order from the company....not sales to consumers...

for example....say stores nationwide bought 500,000 copies of Game X and 300,000 of Game Y.
There were 150,000 copies sold to consumers of Game X and 250,000 copies of Game Y sold to customers.
Now the "figures" will say that Game X is the higer seller because the stores bought more copies of it...even though 350,000 copies sit in the stores unsold and Game Y sold 100,000 more to the customers and have less overstock in the stores.

like i said....this is how its sometimes done.....probably not always...but it has been known to be a way of saying "hey, we sold this many!!!!"

Moral of the story.....don't believe all sales figures because they're usually written by a money hungry guy in a suit and tie.

DOOM
12-09-2002, 08:40 AM
By the Sales In My Shop, 7 To 1...
XBOX RULES!
These Figures Are Cool, But I Knew...
I Bet A Lot Of You Did Too!:cool:

shnike123
12-09-2002, 12:06 PM
i bought the xbox bundle one of the reasons i didnt buy a ps2 was because of the bundle and the games that come with it r good sega gt 2002 is awsome.

JimmieDoogan
12-09-2002, 12:23 PM
Once Xbox gets in there, we'll finally be seeing games that push the envelope. Right now, most games are bogged down by PS2 development. All the cross platform games end up looking and playing like PS2 games because it's the norm. If Xbox were the norm, our games accross the boards will look, play, sound and generally be better. Lets hope next year truely is the year of X!

Cloud Strife
12-09-2002, 01:31 PM
That's nice to hear but I think those Gamecube numbers are wrong. Nintendo has four different packages of their system and I guarantee they counted one of them. There is the Platnium, Indigo, Jet Black, and Super Mario Sunshine Bundle.

BORNGD
12-09-2002, 01:34 PM
i dont know about the nubmers...seems like everyone has a PS2 already and thats why the X is selling so well, its the second sysytem in the house...

i would like to see a survey of those who own a xbox and a ps2...personally i only own a xbox

No Fear 23
12-09-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by DOOM
The gap between rival gaming consoles Xbox and PlayStation 2 is narrowing, with latest figures from research analyst Inform showing Sony’s gaming console sales is ahead by just 4 per cent.

According to the figures, Xbox has boosted its weekly market share to 46 per cent over the past eight weeks in the lead-up to the Christmas season. In contrast, PlayStation 2 console sales have dropped from over 80 per cent of total market share to 54 per cent in the same period.

Xbox sold 13,072 consoles in the week ending 24 November, while PlayStation sales reached 14,235. Nintendo’s GameCube, which has suffered a steady decline in sales over the past two months, chalked up just 1151 console sales in the same week.

Inform research analyst Phil Burnham says there are several different factors influencing sales of the gaming consoles, including the number of game titles available and the bundle packs offered with each of the consoles. Xbox is currently being sold in a Christmas bundle pack with three games and a DVD.

The number of game titles being released by the two companies prior to Christmas will also play a significant role in bumping up the amount of consoles sold by both companies in November/December, he said.

Harvey Norman managing director John Slack-Smith said the trend reported by Inform has been evident in recent store sales.

“The Xbox with the Christmas bundle pack has been very well received, and [Xbox] has a great take-up rate,” he said. “The marketing war between PlayStation and Xbox is absolutely in full swing.”

LINK:
http://pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php?taxid=1783241437&id=956191564&fp=2&fpid=1
;)

ah, some good news to hear about xbox, thanks ! :)

next year is a brand new year and xbox will dominate 03'

Cloud Strife
12-09-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by BORNGD
i dont know about the nubmers...seems like everyone has a PS2 already and thats why the X is selling so well, its the second sysytem in the house...

i would like to see a survey of those who own a xbox and a ps2...personally i only own a xbox Actually, I can say I know several people that want Playstation 2's that haven't purchased one yet.

BCan
12-10-2002, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Flood-XBA
its all just fancy numbers....hehe

sales figures are never accurate...

a lot of times sales figures are based on number of pieces that stores order from the company....not sales to consumers...

for example....say stores nationwide bought 500,000 copies of Game X and 300,000 of Game Y.
There were 150,000 copies sold to consumers of Game X and 250,000 copies of Game Y sold to customers.
Now the "figures" will say that Game X is the higer seller because the stores bought more copies of it...even though 350,000 copies sit in the stores unsold and Game Y sold 100,000 more to the customers and have less overstock in the stores.

like i said....this is how its sometimes done.....probably not always...but it has been known to be a way of saying "hey, we sold this many!!!!"

Moral of the story.....don't believe all sales figures because they're usually written by a money hungry guy in a suit and tie.

As for these sales figures, measured by an independent, or supposedly so, company, and not figures provided by MS, Sony or Nintendo, so do not dismiss them automatically.

As for Sony, they have officially NEVER released their units sold, they only show units SHIPPED, which is what you talk about. I could say Company X has shipped 150,000 units, yet never sell a single unit, as they may not have reached the stores - IE for launch.....

It's a sign of things to come, Australia may not get all of the deals for XBOX, PS2 or GC, but we have a fair say in a lot of things. We are the best place to blood new talent for music, as we are more indicative of a "normal" spread of music taste, than that of the USA!

evil xbox king
12-10-2002, 05:55 AM
The Australian bundle consists of JSRF, Sega GT 2002, Halo, a DVD remote and an Xbox.

Cloud Strife
12-10-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by evil xbox king
The Australian bundle consists of JSRF, Sega GT 2002, Halo, a DVD remote and an Xbox. For the same price as before or a little higher?

Unreal
12-10-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
That's nice to hear but I think those Gamecube numbers are wrong. Nintendo has four different packages of their system and I guarantee they counted one of them. There is the Platnium, Indigo, Jet Black, and Super Mario Sunshine Bundle.
Actually these numbers are right Burning Ranger. Its on the other forums with the thread name: Gamecube is having its ass handed to them. Something like that. The nintendo fans said Aussie country does not count because they do not make up alot of game market.

Anyway, its always good to read good news :D

Cloud Strife
12-10-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Unreal

Actually these numbers are right Burning Ranger. Its on the other forums with the thread name: Gamecube is having its ass handed to them. Something like that. The nintendo fans said Aussie country does not count because they do not make up alot of game market.

Anyway, its always good to read good news :D It was in the War Room on Xengen, right?

evil xbox king
12-10-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
For the same price as before or a little higher?

The bundle costs $430 Australian ($215US)
The PS2 Extra pack has only one game, and is $400 Aus ($200US)
The SMS GC pack costs $375 Aus ($188US).

As far as value for money goes, Xbox is the only option in Australia, and it shows. The bundle sold 10,000 units in one week, where the previous week when the bundle wasn't released, the Xbox sold a mere 1,000 units.

l Maximus l
12-10-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA

I believe Costco had that bundle. It was basically the same GT 2002 and JSRF bundle plus the dvd kit and one other game. Although I don't personally recall seeing a third game but I wasn't paying that much attention.

I believe you are right...it was Costco or Sam's Club, if I recall...or, perhaps both. Also, I believe the third game is Amped. But, I believe the bundle was around $289.99 or so...

KrazYWind
12-11-2002, 05:41 PM
ahh... know i can put up a good fight with my friends when they say the ps2 is better :D

Xbox Owner
12-11-2002, 05:51 PM
is in june in austrialia? because thats what the article says..