PDA

View Full Version : What is the best surround sound receiver and speakers I can get for my xbox?

Mercury
12-09-2002, 06:42 PM
EB has one that is $160(Can). Called Aztec. Is this any good?

Anyone have any other suggestions?

carlbme
12-09-2002, 06:55 PM
Do you mean computer type speakers? Or are you talking home theater quality?

How much are you looking to spend?

Info Man, INFO!!!

DarkMatter
12-09-2002, 07:26 PM
I saw those and DON'T GET THEM! I was gonna get them but I decided to get ones that sound good and have a good Sub and stuff. I spent $450 (Can) on mine and it's awsome!

Mercury
12-09-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by carlbme
Do you mean computer type speakers? Or are you talking home theater quality?

How much are you looking to spend?

Info Man, INFO!!!

ok, you're right. I should elaborate a bit more

I'm only looking to spend around $200 (Can.)
The one that I mentioned, Aztec from EB, has 6 speakers and I'm told gives good surround sound. It has a woofer as well. I guess I'm not expecting superior sound, just sound that is surround sound.

carlbme
12-09-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Mercury

ok, you're right. I should elaborate a bit more

I'm only looking to spend around $200 (Can.)
The one that I mentioned, Aztec from EB, has 6 speakers and I'm told gives good surround sound. It has a woofer as well. I guess I'm not expecting superior sound, just sound that is surround sound.

One thing to think about when selecting this sort of system is how are you going to hook it up to the Xbox?

From what i've gathered it sounds like your talking about the Altec Lansing (http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=230926) speakers. If so then those wont work. They are mean for a computer and do not have the inputs to connect to the Xbox.

For the price you set I seriously doubt your going to be able to get a surround sound setup for the Xbox.

MerimacHamwich
12-09-2002, 11:41 PM
In order to get the dolby digital signal from the xbox you will need an optical input, the rciever must ahve dobly digital 5.1 decoding capabilities and you will have to buy the optical cable as well as the advanced av pack. That simply cannot happen for under200$ I spent around 800+$ canadian to get my system up. All 450 watts of it.

BCan
12-10-2002, 03:14 AM
Check on the TechTV site, I was watching the other week, and there are PC style/size speakers that have inbuilt Dolby Digital decoders. I am not sure how much they cost, but it is probably cheaper and easier than the full solution that many of us have....

Try here Tech TV speaker guide (http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/products/story/0,23008,3405320,00.html)

The Yamaha TSS-1 sound like what you need, as they have an inbuilt decoder with it, and from a quick check on their site, you can replace the centre unit, that does all the decoding for newer ones too... or see if the TSS-10's are in your price range

If I can find them in Australia, I will get them, gives me a portable speaker setup for my XBOX!!

I have one that can deliver over 100W per channel, so that's approx 700W for all channels, it is 6.1, and over 200W per front channel for normal stereo..!!

DarkMatter
12-10-2002, 05:37 AM
Yea for mine I have I think 600 Wats. 100 for Each speaker. I'am hoping yo go and buy just a reciever that is around $400 and then I will have really sweet and crisp sound;)

BCan
12-10-2002, 06:44 AM
From what I looked at there, the Yamaha TSS-1 is perfect, has the 5.1 speakers, has a unit which actually is able to decode Dolby Digital and DTS, and from stereo can emulate surround sound. They aren't professional speakers, nor amps, but it is very much what he is after.

He doesn't need to buy standalone pieces. It can be used for both the PC and the XBOX - no need to plug into other devices just to get the surround sound. Even his VCR could handle it too, giving surround sound on TV too!

BTW - LOTR: FOTR SEE on the DTS ES encoded soundtrack is awesome, even if not all my speakers are perfect at home, and nor is the acoustics of the room....

dances with broom sticks
12-10-2002, 08:33 AM
anyone wanna point me in the direction of a site that has info on speakers? im lookin to build a nice surround sound system, but am lacking knowledge on specs i should be lookin at

truthandsoul
12-10-2002, 11:24 AM
RCA Home Theater In A Box model RCA RT2350. 300 watt system, AM/FM receiver with built-in Dolby® Digital decoder and ProLogic II. Auto tuning. Comes with 5 magnetically-shielded speakers and subwoofer with level control. 2 digital audio inputs.
Available at Sears Canada for $399, so that would be about $299 at any decent electronics shop. I think that's the closest you'll get to your budget.

LynxFX
12-10-2002, 11:54 AM
Browse through the reviews at www.audioreview.com if you aren't sure about a certain package.

Just remember that if you want this to work with your Xbox you need to find a system that has an optical input. Not all 'all in one' solutions offer this. So just be aware. :D

Knight
12-10-2002, 12:31 PM
If I was you I would look at Sundays Best Buy & Circuit City ads(or any ads for a store like BB & CC) and see what's on sale, if you see something good on sale at the price your looking for get it, if not wait for the next sunday ads!

Knight
12-10-2002, 12:39 PM
Do you care about having DTS?

l Maximus l
12-10-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
Browse through the reviews at www.audioreview.com if you aren't sure about a certain package.

Just remember that if you want this to work with your Xbox you need to find a system that has an optical input. Not all 'all in one' solutions offer this. So just be aware. :D

I hear ya...Just about every single box set either has none or only one optical input....which really chaps my gizzard! :mad:

I should watch my language...sorry :D

truthandsoul
12-10-2002, 08:38 PM
Can you guys fill me in on why I would need an optical input? Are there any other specifics that are needed? I'm also buying a system within the next few weeks... I was leaning towards the "all in one box" systems, under $500 Can. Also, is the xbox advanced AV pack also required?

l Maximus l
12-10-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by truthandsoul
Can you guys fill me in on why I would need an optical input? Are there any other specifics that are needed? I'm also buying a system within the next few weeks... I was leaning towards the "all in one box" systems, under $500 Can. Also, is the xbox advanced AV pack also required?

To get true 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound, then, yes, you'll need a fiber optic cable that hooks into the Advanced A/V pack or you can get the version made by Monster Cable. Standard audio cables are analog...you want "digital" as in "Dolby Digital" :)

As for hooking up a DVD player (not the XBox)...you can also use a Digital Coax cable...which the inputs are usually color coded with the color orange.

dougi3000
12-11-2002, 01:20 AM
If you are at EB, do a search for "DSS-900"

These are TRUE dolby digital 5.1 speakers WITH DECODER, optical input, coaxial input, AND analog input.

all for $99US ($150cdn) with NO TAX or duties for Canadians!

Great for small apartments and rooms, without the $500 price tag.

:D

truthandsoul
12-11-2002, 01:41 AM
So assuming I'm using a fiber optic cable with the advanced AV pack, would either of these systems be acceptable?.............

JVC® THB-5 590 - Receiver, 5 satellite speakers and a 90-watt Subwoofer. (DVD Player Optional). Dolby Pro Logic II with 5-channel separation adds a centre channel speaker for dialogue and sharper sound effects. Features include Dolby Digital/Dolby Theatre System Decoder, Preset memory tuning, Composite video and AV inputs/outputs.

RCA RT2350 - AM/FM receiver with built-in Dolby® Digital decoder and ProLogic II. Auto tuning. Comes with 5 magnetically-shielded speakers and subwoofer with level control. 2 digital audio inputs.

???????????? thanks for your help.

BCan
12-11-2002, 03:51 AM
BTW, it's not Dolby Theatre System, it's Digital Theatre System - DTS has nothing to do with Dolby..... If you like slightly better sounding DVD's the DTS track has only 4:1 compression compared to Dolby Digital's 12:1 compression...

As for your question, yeah, you will need to use the fibre optic cable, or "toslink" cable to connect the Adavanced AV pack to the receiver.

It looks like the JVC THB-5 is the one you should get, seems to be that little bit more than the basic one that is the RCA one.

Dougi3000, what makes TRUE Dolby Digital 5.1 speakers?!! I think it is trying to distinguish itself from the Pro Logic/Pro Logic 2 systems, that can accept 5.1 speakers BUT aren't doing Dolby Digital 5.1, they are just using a stereo source decoded and spread over the speakers....

MerimacHamwich
12-11-2002, 09:04 AM
The only way to be sure if what you are getting has the optical input is to go to the store and look. I bought my Panasonic system at my local Futureshop. It was one of the only Home Theatre In A Box packages with it. The ones that had an input or two all cost around 700+$ canadian.

Then after that there is the 30$ canadian price tag for the Advanced AV pack, then you can add another 20-40$ canadian for the optical cable. Or else you can get the monster cables for like 80$ canadian. ALthough, when I was looking at them I wasn't too sure how they would work. I just decided to go with the optical cable and av pack. Seemed simpler to me. That and I can just switch the cable from the XBOX to the DVD player.

So I would say expect to spend around 750$ canadian, before tax, for a dobly digital 5.1 system that will work with your xbox.
It will be around 802.50$ in Alberta. I am not sure about that provincial tax the other provinces have, nedless to say, it will cost more elsewhere.

AcidJazz
12-11-2002, 09:31 AM
Kenwood HTB-505 $799.99 CAD at Futureshop (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=0&WLBS=fs%2Dweb6&sku_id=0665000FS10013896&catid=&newdeptid=10)

http://pix.crutchfield.com/products/2002/113/h113htb505-f_1.jpeg

dougi3000
12-12-2002, 12:44 AM
Well, most speakers say (especially PC speakers) say Dolby 5.1 etc etc.. and it is either lame prologic, or some virtual surround crap, or even worst "Dolby Digital 5.1 (software decoded on PC)" and super crap "Dolby Digital 5.1 'ready'"

Very misleading. DSS-900 has an ACTUAL Dolby Digital Decoder.