PDA

View Full Version : XBOX on projection TV

XBOXJohn
12-11-2002, 08:59 AM
Anyone using XBOX on a projection TV? The games state that this could damage the tv. My TV's manual says to only play games 15% of the time using the tv for games vs. regular tv watching because of the risk of burning an image onto the screen permanently, as with computer monitors.

I'm curious to know if anyone is using an XBOX or any other game console on a big screen projection tv. If so, for how long (1, 2, 3 hours per day?), and did any damage occur.

thx,

tennyson
12-11-2002, 09:50 AM
I just recently bought a projection TV and was worried about the same thing. Basically, I try not to play any one game (mostly the games with static images) for more than an hour or two. Right now, I'm still in that "burn paranoia" stage where I try to look for the burned images of the health meter after playing Halo. lol

As far as I know, what you heard about the 15% is correct, but most of it is preventive maintenance. The way I figure it, don't limit your playing time with the XBox, just switch up the games every few hours. I'm not an expert, but I heard that with the new technology on these TVs, they really have to be abused before a "burn" can be openly noticeable.

XBOXJohn
12-11-2002, 10:02 AM
The same goes for computer monitors yet it would take a lot of abuse to burn one. If the TV's are the same, then I won't have a problem. I just wanted to make sure that, for some reason, the TV's wouldn't burn within 15 minutes of use. Most of my games will not have static images on the screen except for football, which has the scoreboard on the top.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. My confidence is a little higher now.

Spaztic
12-11-2002, 11:17 AM
my boy plays 8hrs+ a day sometimes in one sitting and has never gotten burt in images on his projection screen. I think projection tv manufactors put that in there manual to relieve liability. I don't think it is as wide spread as some might think.

J98GT
12-11-2002, 11:45 AM
I just got a 57" Sony XBR projection HDTV :eek: yesterday, and I'm not taking any chances. Regardless of how easy it is to burn in images, I'm going to be taking breaks or switching games at least every 1.5-2hours of playing.

HaloMasterVI
12-11-2002, 12:32 PM
Yea, Xbox has these new evil rays that penetrate the core of any projection tv.

XBOXJohn
12-11-2002, 12:34 PM
"Xbox has these new evil rays that penetrate the core of any projection tv"

-Hmm. That's what I was afraid of.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

Insane Jester
12-11-2002, 12:41 PM
i have a rear projection screen in my game room :) ... ive played nearly everyday for the last 3 years on it and there is nothing wrong with it .. it only applies to images that are still for long periods of time .. but it also warns u about this just watching normal t.v ... im sure it will be fine

XBOXJohn
12-11-2002, 12:44 PM
Cool. That seems to be the common consensus. I was just being overly paranoid. Would hate to ruin a $1900 TV.

Snoopy7548
12-11-2002, 12:57 PM
i have a 50 inch rear projection tv and i sometimes play ps2 or xbox on it. ive never had any burn in problems. all i do is lower the contrast, and ive even played for like 3 hours at a time, and nothing has ever happened

ozenplayer
12-19-2002, 02:19 AM
ok i have a 50 inch rca in my room and a 60 inch in the front room i played my xbox on da tv in the front room and it left a shadow of the game on it now i play it on my 50 inch and it works just find and my friend has a 55 inch tv and he's work find as long as you dont hook any games up to a 60 inch are bigger i think your pretty safe

LynxFX
12-19-2002, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by ozenplayer
as you dont hook any games up to a 60 inch are bigger i think your pretty safe
Size has absolutely nothing to do with it. You can burn an image into a 13" tv if you wanted to. It has everything to do with calibration, most importantly contrast. High contrast, high chance of burn in. Low contrast, low chance. Notice I didn't say no chance. If you are dumb about it you can burn an image into your tv. The culprit, static high contrasting images.

alien_69
12-19-2002, 03:41 AM
i was watching a lot of news after sep11, and i notice that i can see some news station logos on the corners of my TV. it's a widescreen projection.
BUT it's only noticeable when the screen is all white, which is rarely, and even then, it's VERY hard to see. i thought i was just imagining them for the longest time, but they're there and really faint.

Cloud Strife
12-19-2002, 09:42 AM
I'll never paly any of my videogame systems on a projection TV.:rolleyes:

LynxFX
12-19-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
I'll never paly any of my videogame systems on a projection TV.:rolleyes:
You're missing out, especially with the xbox and nearly all games being 480p.