PDA

View Full Version : Dvd fading...fix?

ursukyoung
12-11-2002, 01:27 PM
hi, new to this forum.
but wanted to know if there's a way to fix the fading dvd's when xbox is connected to vcr and not the tv directly.
i don't think the PS2 does this, but i could be wrong.
thought it was just the blockbuster dvd's because of their anti-priracy stuff, but my personal dvd's fade too.

is there some way to fix this?
or do i need to either get the other cables, or get a PS2.
thanks

Dre
12-11-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by ursukyoung
hi, new to this forum.
but wanted to know if there's a way to fix the fading dvd's when xbox is connected to vcr and not the tv directly.
thought it was just the blockbuster dvd's because of their anti-priracy stuff, but my personal dvd's fade too.

is there some way to fix this?
or do i need to either get the other cables, or get a PS2.
thanks

Its not a problem with your XBox. Its called Macrovision, and its a protection scheme on VCR's so you can't tape. Running your cables through your VCR will always give you this problem, even if you have an Xbox, PS2 or store-bought DVD player.

OuFtb
12-11-2002, 01:40 PM
I read that it screws it up so you won't record anything but I have mine hooked up though my VCR to TV, and I have had no problems with it.

ursukyoung
12-11-2002, 01:53 PM
thanks...
got some great replies from this other forums, so i will mention it here for other lost souls.

something about macrovision on vcr players, some copy right protection technology.

so basically go to radio shack or best buy and they can sell u a RF modulator that can fix it.

great huh....cool

------
Thanks a lot.
So its not my xbox that's wacked out.
No need to get a PS2.
Great.
Cos I already bought the dvd kit and extra controller.
Thanks...going to radio shack then best buy...

Insane Jester
12-11-2002, 02:12 PM
not really great as my stand alone dvd player is macrovision free and so is my xbox... no extra connections for me :)

jasonville
12-16-2002, 02:16 AM
thx to this forum, i got the answer :)
thx a bunch, wondered why it was fading !

Jason

Calvmann
12-16-2002, 02:34 AM
he's right, new VCRs have macrovision...if you want a quick fix, either get an older VCR hooked up or buy a RF Modulator from Best Buy...

Calvin

Cloud Strife
12-16-2002, 09:19 AM
DVD players are not supposed to play through VCR's. I thought just about everybody by now would have a TV with the AV holes.

Dre
12-16-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
DVD players are not supposed to play through VCR's. I thought just about everybody by now would have a TV with the AV holes.

Obviously ya thought wrong :)

I know that the PS2 has problem playing certain DVD's.. anyone heard about the Xbox ever having a problem?

LynxFX
12-16-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Dre
I know that the PS2 has problem playing certain DVD's.. anyone heard about the Xbox ever having a problem?
It has a problem with a few but that isn't the Xbox fault, but rather the dvd authoring. When you create a dvd off specs of course it isn't going to work on every dvd player, *cough* Disney *cough*.

PS2 does have a longer list than the Xbox though. :)

rio2012
12-17-2002, 09:44 PM
Dude dont run it through ur VCR!!!!

P.S. If u dont have an RCA port on the back of ur TV get an RF MODULATOR which converts the RCA signal in to a regular cable wire signal which doesnt give u that fade.

WynnFire
12-18-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by ursukyoung
wanted to know if there's a way to fix the fading dvd's when xbox is connected to vcr and not the tv directly.

Why does everybody automatically assume or think that Blockbuster has their own Anti-Piracy software on the DVD's?? I have never thought that even before I started working for them. We get the DVD's brand new from the manufacturer's. Whatever anti-piracy encoding (Macrovision) that's on the DVDs was already there.

Dre: I know that the PS2 has problem playing certain DVD's.. anyone heard about the Xbox ever having a problem?

Anyway, every DVD that I have put in my Xbox (around 400) has worked except for Kung Pow and Super Troopers.