PDA

View Full Version : 2003: The Year of the RPG

X-Factor
12-11-2002, 04:07 PM
Morrowind was the only RPG in Year One that Xbox gamers received (a very dry year for Xbox as far as RPGs were concerned). RPG-hungry Xbox owners will finally get the goods in 2003, the year of the RPG...http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

Fable (probable)

Kameo: Elements of Power (developed by Rare)

Sudeki

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

True Fantasy Live Online

Ghost Master

Phantasy Star Online

Shining Lore

Suikoden III

The only RPG mentioned above that is not exclusive to Xbox is Phantasy Star Online (which already hit GameCube this year). Looks like all the RPG-starving Xbox owners will finally get their RPG-treatment in 2003...the three RPGs that look to be the best to me are as follows...

1) Fable will be thee genre-defining RPG, and will probably be the best RPG ever (no game has been done like this before). If any of you have read anything about Fable (previously Project Ego) you know this game is going to change RPGs, and games in general forever; Fable will the defining RPG of its time.

2) Sudeki is more of a "Final Fantasy" type of RPG, with groups, quests, and a deep story (the groups in Sudeki will consist of four characters, and will work much like Brute Force in that aspect). If you are even remotely a fan of Final Fantasy games, and games like Chrono Cross...Sudeki will be the RPG for you...;)

3) True Fantasy Live Online will be a persistent online RPG; meaning since the game is on Xbox Live, new downloadable content will be available every month, so there is always new stuff to do (those will Xbox Live will be very happy in 2003, and those without will be very deprived). True Fantasy Live Online looks to change the way RPG are played, and the world of online gaming.:D

What are your thoughts on the Xbox RPGs for 2k3?

Lyle
12-11-2002, 07:31 PM
There's only one RPG I must have and thats Phantasy Star Online. I have it for gamecube and the offline play is so-so. With XBOX Live being so geat, the best part of the game will be even bettar.

TheCovenant
12-11-2002, 08:08 PM
what about star wars galaxies?

and there are of course the smaller capcom rpg's ( of course ports)

Genma onimusha 2
devil may cry
devil may cry 2
Star wars galaxies
crimson sea

ummm....thats all i can think of. but you have to admit, those are gonna be great too:p

Shadow20002
12-12-2002, 03:28 PM
Suikoden 3 is not exclusive, is already out for PS2. Crimson Sea is not from Capcom but Koei (the one that make DW 3). Anyway, what i'm waiting is Fable...........hopefully it will be the ultimate !!! ;)

X-Factor
12-12-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by TheCovenant

Genma onimusha 2
devil may cry
devil may cry 2
Star wars galaxies
crimson sea

ummm....thats all i can think of. but you have to admit, those are gonna be great too:p Sea Dogs II is another RPG to add to the list.

Since when are ports of DMC and DMC2 coming to Xbox...link please...:rolleyes:

BTW, Devil May Cry should not be considered a RPG...;)

ecco
12-13-2002, 10:14 AM
Shining Lore has yet to go beta for PC (English), I wouldn't expect to see it anytime soon on Xbox. And of those listed, I only look forward to Project Ego, Sudeki, & Crimson Sea.

~ Chris

TheCovenant
12-16-2002, 06:54 PM
i dont wanna oput a link but according to ign, thats whats happening.....look at the release date list and you will see DMC promptly followed by DMC2.............

everyone knew these were comin eventually..........

shnike123
12-17-2002, 09:14 PM
you said Sudeki was like final fantasy ill have to check this one out I love final fantasy games.

TheCovenant
12-17-2002, 10:42 PM
it is like final, in fact they are trying to make it like final, but fixing everything that was wrong.....i must say though.....i dont really like the character animations........................

it looks like they tried to hard to make them look Japanese

studepaber
12-18-2002, 08:35 AM
I'm most excited about PSO and Fable (especially after reading the article on the game in the new Game Informer magazine), all I have to say after reading about it is wowwwwwwww! I suggest everyone read it, and also the screenshots were killer.

TheCovenant
12-20-2002, 04:04 PM
so was the magazine about PSO? or fable?

either way, im most likely getting both.....

EHWfedPres
12-22-2002, 02:14 PM

Genma onimusha 2
devil may cry
devil may cry 2
Star wars galaxies
crimson sea

ummm....thats all i can think of. but you have to admit, those are gonna be great too:p

Um, why did youy include DMC in an rpg list? Thats a third person action/adventure game, NOT an rpg. Onimusha is not an rpg either, and neither are Final Fantasy games. If you think otherwise, just go try and role-play in those games, you wont get very far with the linear story and gameplay, and lack of freedom for character development. :rolleyes:

TheCovenant
12-22-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres

Um, why did youy include DMC in an rpg list? Thats a third person action/adventure game, NOT an rpg. Onimusha is not an rpg either, and neither are Final Fantasy games. If you think otherwise, just go try and role-play in those games, you wont get very far with the linear story and gameplay, and lack of freedom for character development. :rolleyes:

okay, just because it's not morrowind, doesnt mean it's not an rpg.

DMC, well, maybe thats not an rpg.

as for final fantasy, are you icelandic or retarded? final fantasy series are role playing games. in fact, they defined the genre in 98'.

genma onimusha is a role playing game also. it has deep roleplaying elements such as leveling up and exploring.

DMC, does lean towards the action side. but you still role play in that game. Dante, that is.

i was right to post all those other things and i stand by them.

SPARTAN VI
12-22-2002, 05:45 PM

Morrowind IS NOT the definition of RPG. Otherwise, that'd mean RPGs were JUST created. Final Fantasy games ARE RPGs, just extremely linear ones, but that does not mean it is excluded from the RPG category. I think we have all established the difference between JAPANESE RPGs, and PC RPGs. Rethink the definition of an RPG and you'll only find you're contradicting yourself.

TheCovenant
12-23-2002, 12:15 AM
very well said.

EHWfedPres
12-23-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by SPARTAN VI

Morrowind IS NOT the definition of RPG. Otherwise, that'd mean RPGs were JUST created.

Oh, so Morrowind is the first free-roaming rpg ever made? Bethesda never made the Elder Scrolls 1 or 2? the Ultima series never existed? There's countless others that have been around before 98.

In an rpg, you need freedom, and you cannot roleplay if you have no freedom. You say that you can play the role of dante in DMC...does that make Halo and rpg? By those standards, yes, every game would be an rpg! You play the role of Mario in Super Mario world, yet that is not an rpg. You play the role of a team in every sports game, now try telling me that sports games are rpg's.

Level gains and character development does not make a game an rpg. There are countless games with character upgrades and stat systems, but those are not rpg's.

You obviously dont know much about rpg's.
:rolleyes:

Cloud Strife
12-23-2002, 01:53 PM
I think an RPG game is a game you roam around and get in battles with enemies. The story follows a linear path. Along the way you continue to buy new weapons and gain level ups. Like Final Fantasy is an RPG game.

EHWfedPres
12-23-2002, 04:24 PM
A role-playing game is a game where you role-play...and you cant do that in Mario or Devil May Cry, and certainly not in Final Fantasy games.

SPARTAN VI
12-23-2002, 05:56 PM
A role-playing game is a game where you role-play...and you cant do that in Mario or Devil May Cry, and certainly not in Final Fantasy games.

Eh, no. RPGs don't have to allow you to "roam freely", the FF series are not RPGs just cuz EHWfedPres doesn't like them. All of the JAPANESE RPGs aren't RPGs cuz EHWfedPres doesn't like them. Obviously YOU haven't got the RPG title straigt.

A role-playing game is a game where you role-play

So you're sayin that in any JAPANESE RPGs, you're not playing the role of the character? That you're just some mindless entity that wants to get from point A to B without developing any story? If in Japanese RPGs (you see how I stress Japanese ant PC RPGs right?) you're not "role-playing" then what are you doing? You may be role-playing from a 3rd person perspective, but role-playing non-the-less. Just because YOU'RE not the one being related to (as in Morrowind), but actually another character that you're playing (like FF's ,Squall, Cloud, etc...) does NOT MEAN YOU'RE NOT ROLE-PLAYING.

You must see that there has spawned 2 RPG categories : PC RPGs (maybe now called American) or Japanese RPGs. Just becuase EHWfedPres likes American(/PC) RPGs, doesn't mean Japanese RPGs aren't RPGs.:rolleyes:

EHWfedPres
12-23-2002, 06:28 PM

Eh, no. RPGs don't have to allow you to "roam freely", the FF series are not RPGs just cuz EHWfedPres doesn't like them. All of the JAPANESE RPGs aren't RPGs cuz EHWfedPres doesn't like them. Obviously YOU haven't got the RPG title straigt.

So you're sayin that in any JAPANESE RPGs, you're not playing the role of the character? That you're just some mindless entity that wants to get from point A to B without developing any story? If in Japanese RPGs (you see how I stress Japanese ant PC RPGs right?) you're not "role-playing" then what are you doing? You may be role-playing from a 3rd person perspective, but role-playing non-the-less. Just because YOU'RE not the one being related to (as in Morrowind), but actually another character that you're playing (like FF's ,Squall, Cloud, etc...) does NOT MEAN YOU'RE NOT ROLE-PLAYING.

You must see that there has spawned 2 RPG categories : PC RPGs (maybe now called American) or Japanese RPGs. Just becuase EHWfedPres likes American(/PC) RPGs, doesn't mean Japanese RPGs aren't RPGs.:rolleyes:

Listen, just because someone says a game is of a perticular genre does not mean it is. Everyone might agree, but everyone might be wrong.

If you listened to what you were saying, you would realize that you are making a complete fool of yourself. You say that any game where you play the role of a character is an rpg...ok then, by your standards, then Mario is an rpg (you play mario), every sports game is an rpg (you play the role of the team), Splinter Cell is an rpg (you play sam), fighting games are rpg's (you play a fighter), hell, by your standards, EVERY game is an rpg!

So since your standards are 100% incorrect, then something must seperate an rpg from every other game...lets try character development. In many sports games, your players get better over time, same with several fighting games...even some platform games. So thats not good enough, we need more to make the rpg genre stand out...freedom. Yes, freedom. How are you supposed to role-play if you can't? You see, third person action games (like final fantasy) are more or less like interactive movies. You have a start point and an end point, a (sometimes) deep story, and basically ony one way to go to get to the eventual end. Also in these games, is a pre-made character. One you did not create, and one that you would not likley choose over one of your own.
You can go ask any role-player, wether it be on online message boards or in massive multiplayer games, ask any role-player and they will agree that in a true rpg, you need freedom, because you simply cannot role-play if you have none.

Koopa
12-23-2002, 06:54 PM
I think spartan is more on the right track than ehw....so in all games of course you play a role...but where RPGs stand out is mostly the story, and the betterment of yor character...you say that some fighters and platformers have their characters get better? thats why they say that those games have RPG ELEMENTS in them!

SPARTAN VI
12-23-2002, 06:58 PM

Listen, just because someone says a game is of a perticular genre does not mean it is. Everyone might agree, but everyone might be wrong.

If you listened to what you were saying, you would realize that you are making a complete fool of yourself. You say that any game where you play the role of a character is an rpg...ok then, by your standards, then Mario is an rpg (you play mario), every sports game is an rpg (you play the role of the team), Splinter Cell is an rpg (you play sam), fighting games are rpg's (you play a fighter), hell, by your standards, EVERY game is an rpg!

So since your standards are 100% incorrect, then something must seperate an rpg from every other game...lets try character development. In many sports games, your players get better over time, same with several fighting games...even some platform games. So thats not good enough, we need more to make the rpg genre stand out...freedom. Yes, freedom. How are you supposed to role-play if you can't? You see, third person action games (like final fantasy) are more or less like interactive movies. You have a start point and an end point, a (sometimes) deep story, and basically ony one way to go to get to the eventual end. Also in these games, is a pre-made character. One you did not create, and one that you would not likley choose over one of your own.
You can go ask any role-player, wether it be on online message boards or in massive multiplayer games, ask any role-player and they will agree that in a true rpg, you need freedom, because you simply cannot role-play if you have none.

I have the feeling that were only repeating the same things. Both of us are correct, though I don't think you get exactly what I'm saying. Lets just leave it at this. Arguing over something as little as what me, TheCovenant, and you think is an RPG will never end. There are 2 RPG categories! JAPANESE and PC. Yes, PC RPGs are more original in the form of what an RPG should be. Japanese RPGs are very linear, but they tend to have great stories. What all od us said would define RPGs, but arguing what an individual thinks an RPG is, is just a waste of time.

Leave it at that. Mods, close this thread before people start flamin'!:)

Cloud Strife
12-23-2002, 07:08 PM

I have the feeling that were only repeating the same things. Both of us are correct, though I don't think you get exactly what I'm saying. Lets just leave it at this. Arguing over something as little as what me, TheCovenant, and you think is an RPG will never end. There are 2 RPG categories! JAPANESE and PC. Yes, PC RPGs are more original in the form of what an RPG should be. Japanese RPGs are very linear, but they tend to have great stories. What all od us said would define RPGs, but arguing what an individual thinks an RPG is, is just a waste of time.

Leave it at that. Mods, close this thread before people start flamin'!:) I started the other thread about which is an RPG game just to see what people here thinks is an RPG game.

SPARTAN VI
12-23-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Koopa
I think spartan is more on the right track than ehw....so in all games of course you play a role...but where RPGs stand out is mostly the story, and the betterment of yor character...you say that some fighters and platformers have their characters get better? thats why they say that those games have RPG ELEMENTS in them!

It's always nice to have Koopa around.:)

Cloud Strife
12-23-2002, 07:25 PM

It's always nice to have Koopa around.:) Koopa seems to be the one who know what he's talking about.:) Although I stomp Koopas' in Super Mario Bros.;)

EHWfedPres
12-23-2002, 07:25 PM

yes, rpg elements can exist in a game, but it does not make it an rpg. Its still a third person action/adventure game with rpg elements.

EHWfedPres
12-23-2002, 07:28 PM

Leave it at that. Mods, close this thread before people start flamin'!:)

The only reason I repeated certain thing from my previous post is because you opviously didnt read and understand what i was talking about.

And nobody is going to flame anybody...at least im not, i can control my temper and still manage to get my point across, which is what usually causes the other person to flame, so instead of asking for this thread to be closed just so you can get the last word in, why not trying making good points to get your point across?:rolleyes:

SPARTAN VI
12-23-2002, 09:42 PM

The only reason I repeated certain thing from my previous post is because you opviously didnt read and understand what i was talking about.

And nobody is going to flame anybody...at least im not, i can control my temper and still manage to get my point across, which is what usually causes the other person to flame, so instead of asking for this thread to be closed just so you can get the last word in, why not trying making good points to get your point across?:rolleyes:

Hmmmm, obvioulsy I DID. Everyone has rallied behind me and TheCovenant. Haven't seen a single soul agree with you yet.:rolleyes: You're obviously NOW just arguing for the sake of arguing, go back and rethink RPGs,unless you can bring up something new that can prove all of us wrong (me, TheCovenant, Koopa, and Burning Ranger) . Until then, you're argument is finished.

Nice arguin' come back with new info.:)

Koopa
12-23-2002, 09:56 PM
ehw, i think you lose this round:rolleyes:

games like FF have been labled RPGs long before anything like morrowind was ever dreamed of

EHWfedPres
12-23-2002, 10:01 PM
ehw, i think you lose this round:rolleyes:

games like FF have been labled RPGs long before anything like morrowind was ever dreamed of

want to make a bet on that? ;)

Buy hey, labels are usually wrong...people think Mudvayne and Staind and Linkin Park and that stupid st/it is metal...those are the people who havent heard Iced Earth, Slayer, Testament, Death, Sepultura, etc. :rolleyes:

hell, the band Cradle of Filth claims that they are not a Black metal band, but in all actuallity, they are. You can never go by what some people say, you have to look at the aspects of what you are talking about and make a rational decision.

Koopa
12-23-2002, 10:07 PM
dude..ff and those games are RPGs, just linear rpgs. this doesnt have anything to do with your opinion or anyone elses....heres the facts:
FF is a linear RPG
Morrowind is a non-linear RPG
both are RPGs

as much as you may hate FF's linear style or whatever, its still an RPG. you still play a role in a story and have your hero(s) grow in skill, etc.

SPARTAN VI
12-23-2002, 10:08 PM

want to make a bet on that? ;)

Buy hey, labels are usually wrong...people think Mudvayne and Staind and Linkin Park and that stupid st/it is metal...those are the people who havent heard Iced Earth, Slayer, Testament, Death, Sepultura, etc. :rolleyes:

hell, the band Cradle of Filth claims that they are not a Black metal band, but in all actuallity, they are. You can never go by what some people say, you have to look at the aspects of what you are talking about and make a rational decision.

You're draggin this on... Now you're sayin out in the open, that FFs are wrongly labeled RPGs? You're only gettin yourself into a deeper jam here. No one here cares what YOU think is an RPG. Japanese RPGs are RPGs whether YOU like it or not. I REPEAT, THERE ARE 2 TYPES OF RPGS : JAPANESE RPGs AND PC(AMERICAN) RPGs , just becuase EHWfedPres doesn't like Japanese RPGs, doesn't mean they AREN'T RPGs. The world doesn't revolve around your thoughts buddy.:)

EHWfedPres
12-23-2002, 10:13 PM

You're draggin this on... Now you're sayin out in the open, that FFs are wrongly labeled RPGs? You're only gettin yourself into a deeper jam here. No one here cares what YOU think is an RPG. Japanese RPGs are RPGs whether YOU like it or not. I REPEAT, THERE ARE 2 TYPES OF RPGS : JAPANESE RPGs AND PC(AMERICAN) RPGs , just becuase EHWfedPres doesn't like Japanese RPGs, doesn't mean they AREN'T RPGs. The world doesn't revolve around your thought buddy.:)

Ok, so asnwer me this...what makes Final Fantasy games rpg's? Character development? You can find that in many sports games. Fighting monsters alot? ever hear of Hack 'n Slash games? deep plot? Thats where the third person action/adventure comes in...

Just because one person says that FF games are rpg's does not mean you have to believe them.

TheCovenant
12-27-2002, 01:26 AM

Ok, so asnwer me this...what makes Final Fantasy games rpg's? Character development? You can find that in many sports games. Fighting monsters alot? ever hear of Hack 'n Slash games? deep plot? Thats where the third person action/adventure comes in...

Just because one person says that FF games are rpg's does not mean you have to believe them.

so. you just mentioned tree different genre's with a low level of role-playing, character development, and deep story.

but not one of those genre's has a high level of all three. rpg's do.
final fantasy does. thats an rpg. those things you metnioned are rpg elements, and you need all of them to make an rpg.

because a fighting game has a deep story, that doesnt mean it's a rpg. it means it's a fighting game, with a story as deep as an rpg's.

ehwfedpres, you lose. sorry. but listen to yourself, you say everyone is wrong, and you're right. thats pathetic. and making weird music anologies isnt going to help you. stop it.

you lose.

SPARTAN VI
12-27-2002, 01:45 AM

ehwfedpres, you lose. sorry. but listen to yourself, you say everyone is wrong, and you're right. thats pathetic. and making weird music anologies isnt going to help you. stop it.

you lose.

LMAO

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nothing else to say.

EHWfedPres
12-27-2002, 07:26 PM
Well saying a third person linear fantasy action/adventure game is an rpg is alot dumber than making music analogies...idiot

TheCovenant
12-27-2002, 09:28 PM
Well saying a third person linear fantasy action/adventure game is an rpg is alot dumber than making music analogies...idiot

are you still talking?

STILL!??!!?!?!?

you LOSE. get over it. can't believe you're trying to argue about a whole new thing.

okay i'm an idiot, but i can out-debate you, ehwfedpres. and i dont have half of XBA hating me......

and if i can out-debate you, and im an idiot, what does that make you?

huh?

loser.

DeaDfeTuS666
12-29-2002, 07:12 PM
I really do hope 2003 is the year for GOOD Quality Rpgs that i hunger For .....

EHWfedPres
12-29-2002, 07:17 PM

are you still talking?

STILL!??!!?!?!?

you LOSE. get over it. can't believe you're trying to argue about a whole new thing.

okay i'm an idiot, but i can out-debate you, ehwfedpres. and i dont have half of XBA hating me......

and if i can out-debate you, and im an idiot, what does that make you?

huh?

loser.

Hey man, you got serious problems, try anger managment or something, and calm down...and then MAYBE, possibly, highly unlikely, but just maybe, you can make a logical point with factual evidence to back it up...but until then...Prozac...

TheCovenant
12-30-2002, 03:47 AM
wow.

i cant believe how incredibly retarded you are.

how old are you? 14? 13?

are you trying to impress us?

i'm not the one flamming people back and fourth, and i did prove a point with actuall factual evidence, with witnesses to back that up. it's a few posts back. you can go see it if you want.

till' then......SHUT UP!

your posts just suck now! not even clever anymore, and they never prove anything........

all your good for is ansering questions about morrowind.

not rpgs, not xbox, not games in general. morrowind. so unless it's a thread asking where an object is in morrowind.........do everyone a favor, and don't freakin' post.

moron.

Koopa
12-30-2002, 03:11 PM
What category does IGN (http://psx.ign.com/objects/000/000494.html) list FF under? RPG

What category does Gamespot (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,197338,00.html) list FF under? RPG

What category does The Gamespy Network (http://www.planetps2.com/games2/3109.shtml) list FF under? RPG

What category does Playstation.com (http://www.us.playstation.com/games/slus-20312.asp) list FF under? RPG

What category does EVERYONE IN THE FREEDOM-LOVING PLAYSTATION-OWNING GAME-PLAYING CIVILIZED WORLD classify FF as? RPG

So now that we have that fact established....let it be noted that FF is a LINEAR rpg. L I N E A RLINEAR!
as in it follows a straight path. you play the role of a hero gaining experience, saving the world in a single path folllowing a straight line that you DO NOT DEVIATE FROM. ...just as a reminder, FF is STILLL an RPG
okay. The RPGs us XBOX owners are getting like Fable and Morrowind are OPEN ENDED RPGs. You can choose what you want to do, wherever and whenever you want. (reminder: FF is STILL an rpg

okay?
jeesus

EHWfedPres
12-30-2002, 03:55 PM
What category does IGN (http://psx.ign.com/objects/000/000494.html) list FF under? RPG

What category does Gamespot (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,197338,00.html) list FF under? RPG

What category does The Gamespy Network (http://www.planetps2.com/games2/3109.shtml) list FF under? RPG

What category does Playstation.com (http://www.us.playstation.com/games/slus-20312.asp) list FF under? RPG

What category does EVERYONE IN THE FREEDOM-LOVING PLAYSTATION-OWNING GAME-PLAYING CIVILIZED WORLD classify FF as? RPG

So now that we have that fact established....let it be noted that FF is a LINEAR rpg. L I N E A RLINEAR!
as in it follows a straight path. you play the role of a hero gaining experience, saving the world in a single path folllowing a straight line that you DO NOT DEVIATE FROM. ...just as a reminder, FF is STILLL an RPG
okay. The RPGs us XBOX owners are getting like Fable and Morrowind are OPEN ENDED RPGs. You can choose what you want to do, wherever and whenever you want. (reminder: FF is STILL an rpg

okay?
jeesus

well i appreciate you calling me by my legal name, but you have to realize that ign and gamespy and all those are gaming sites, not role-playing sites. Go to a role-playing forum and ask people what role-playing is, and then try to fit that in with final fantasy games, and when you fail, come back here and aplolgize for being wrong, but until then, dont waste any more of my time.

Koopa
12-30-2002, 04:14 PM

well i appreciate you calling me by my legal name, but you have to realize that ign and gamespy and all those are gaming sites, not role-playing sites. Go to a role-playing forum and ask people what role-playing is, and then try to fit that in with final fantasy games, and when you fail, come back here and aplolgize for being wrong, but until then, dont waste any more of my time.

please find me an RPG forum where a majority of its members will say that Final fantasy is in no way an rpg. I have more important things to do than prove myself right yet again:rolleyes: well...if you count XBL as important:D

TheCovenant
12-30-2002, 07:04 PM

yea send me the link to this forum too.

by the way, you do roam around freely in final fantasy. with all this arguing i forgot. theres a lot of roaming. you can go anywhere in the world you want too. its just that there is no side story. you have too eventually fall back on the main quest. but there's tons of roaming and side quests. many , many, many.

so there, even under your definition, final fantasy is a role-playing game.