PDA

View Full Version : What games fully use 5.1 Surround Sound?

WynnFire
12-12-2002, 11:20 AM
I just might be getting a 5.1 Surround Sound System for Christmas and I was hoping someone could give me a list of games that fully support 5.1 Surround Sound. I already have Halo and I am playing Medal of Honor so you can leave those ones out. Thank You. :D

Professor Kaos
12-12-2002, 11:38 AM
I dont have a list but just go to EB or somtin and look on the back of the cases.

Zion
12-12-2002, 11:40 AM
I haven't found any that DON'T support 5.1 as of yet...or at least 5.0.

LynxFX
12-12-2002, 01:01 PM
Technically they all do. How well they utilize all available channels varies. Take Halo. Almost zero center channel action.

The back of the box is basically useless when it comes to accurate information reguarding A/V. More times than not they are wrong, or just don't give the information.

WynnFire
12-12-2002, 09:41 PM
Ok then, what game uses the 5.1 surround sound the best? Excluding MechAssault, Halo, Medal of Honor.

LynxFX
12-12-2002, 10:55 PM
Well I wouldn't say Halo uses it the best since it lacks a complete and most important channel, the front center. Still good surrounds though.

Amped has very active and discrete seperation. Just ride around listening to the other boards and the laughing snowmen.

Another snowboarding cheap title, Dark Summit. Has probably the lowest bass I've heard in an Xbox game so far and great full surround sound.

On a more subtle side, Outlaw Golf shows how surround sound can be used to immerse yourself in the environment rather than just to use as a cheap novelty trick. The ambient birds chirping, wind, airplane fly by's really show that.

Burnout, Rally Sport Challenge, Project Gotham Racing, Wreckless all have great use of full 5.1 sound.

Whacked and Ghost Recon both utilize the full spectrum very nicely and it especially helps on Live.

Bloodwake used surround sound very effectively, especially the spashes.

Most sports titles use the full spectrum nicely especially with adding sounds of spectators and the environment.

Munches Oddysey also uses full 5.1 very nicely which helps in pin pointing enemies.

Overall you won't have much problem finding games that use Dolby Digital sound effectively. Especially new titles.

A fun test to do is pop in Wreckless and play using the 3rd person view, then switch to a 1rd person view. Listen to the engine completely change from using the front 3 channels to the back two or three (depending on if you have a 6.1 system). It is very well done and really puts you right in the car.

Zion
12-13-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by WynnFire
Ok then, what game uses the 5.1 surround sound the best? Excluding MechAssault, Halo, Medal of Honor.

Moto GP..you can hear the other bikes coming behind you..then behind to the side...then to the side..then to the front side...then out front. Incredible.

Ghost Recon...when you're in a valley you hear the shots echo, you hear the bullets zinging behind your head, you hear your team talking behind you, you hear enemys talking ahead of you.

NFL2k3...the crowd is astounding.

Rallisport Challenge..you hear rocks hitting your car, you hear the dirt flying.

WORST use of 5.1...Fuzion Frenzy. All channels, all the time, all doing the exact same thing. How annoying!

Shadow20002
12-14-2002, 12:18 PM
The only game that is not supported the surround sound 5.1 is Dead or Alive 3 (just because is been rush out to launch at the same time of Xbox). From now, i think everything is going with 5.1...:cool:

MXSmkin
12-14-2002, 09:40 PM
Can anyone try and find a list of the surround usage.
Thanks

Rochey69r
12-14-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by WynnFire
I just might be getting a 5.1 Surround Sound System for Christmas and I was hoping someone could give me a list of games that fully support 5.1 Surround Sound. I already have Halo and I am playing Medal of Honor so you can leave those ones out. Thank You. :D

trust me mate get it.

DD 5.1 rules for gaming.

in halo sys link when playing on your own with 5.1 i recon you play twice as good.

you hear where people respawn. where and how far grenades and shooting is.

and foot steps.

really takes gaming to the next level.

dont even start me on DVD viewing:p

LynxFX
12-15-2002, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by MXSmkin
Can anyone try and find a list of the surround usage.

Here you go. (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100055)