PDA

View Full Version : Is GamePro coming to their senses?

SPARTAN VI
12-13-2002, 05:47 PM
Maybe, but I've detected a lower amount of biasness emitting from their crap mag that I just got today. In this month's issue, they've rated Splinter Cell, GTA: Vice City, Metroid Prime, and Metroid Fusion. I am going to post what they rated each in that order.

1) Splinter Cell:cool:
Graphics : 5.0
Sound : 4.5
Control : 4.5
FUN FACTOR : 5.0

Should've gotten straight 5.0s. But, then again, this IS coming from a mag that didn't even give Halo straight fives (just cuz THEY couldn't drive the Warthog:rolleyes: ).

2) GTA : Vice City
Graphics : 4.5
Sound : 5.0
FUN FACTOR : 5.0

Matchs up with Splinter Cell. Not bad, usually PS2 games pummel any XBOX games in this mag.

3) Metroid Prime
Graphics : 4.5
Sound : 5.0
Control : 4.0
FUN FACTOR : 4.5

Not bad. Still a great game without a doubt, and should sell some GCs.

4) Metroid Fusion ( I dunno why this is even important, but I'll put it up anyway)
Graphics : 5.0
Sound : 4.0 (duh, it's on GBA)
FUN FACTOR : 4.5

Doesn't really have any relevance to the BIG THREE games/consoles, but some people just might want to know.

Now please realize that these are only OPINIONS, and I know that many of us here at XBA don't really care about the opinions of mags like EGM or GamePro, much less substandard websites like GameSpot...eeww...

But, I was surprised to see that GamePro is growing to like the XBOX. They usually rate most XBOX games low, then you go over to OXMor IGN and there's a completely different rating (usually better). Things are starting to shine for the XBOX. If public mags and websites start to promote the XBOX, it will definetly influence the minds of the gaming public. In GamePro's case, it says on the top left, "Read by OVER 3 Million Gamers Each Month!". That's 3 Million people that are influenced by their opinions.

But, in the end, it doesn't even matter. Microsoft will have monopolized the gaming industry and move onto something else.

Thoughts anyone?:)

Knight
12-13-2002, 06:29 PM
No GamePro still sucks!

Cloud Strife
12-13-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Knight
No GamePro still sucks! I can say you're right about that. I could add Game Informer and EGM to the list. I think just about all reviews suck.

Knight
12-13-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
I can say you're right about that. I could add Game Informer and EGM to the list. I think just about all reviews suck.

Yes Game Informer sucks too, But #117 has Fable on the cover(it's the main thing on the cover too) & a preview!

TheCovenant
12-13-2002, 06:47 PM
ummm okay, does anyone have the ability to think anymore?

Spartan has a very good read, along with personal commentary and opinion. This is actually one of the most stimulating threads iv'e been to in a while!(note: not sexually stimulating).

I'm glad to hear that about splinter cell. metroid fusion and metroid prime rated lower than GTA though? i dont know about that one. I dont think they are finally getting unbiased, i think they are they are shifting their biasness.

I sure would like to know what some intelligent writers have to say, shadow fox whats your take? or how about maximus? Lynuxfx? anyone who doesnt come in here and doesnt come in herre and write four words? i would like to know where this thread goes.....i'lll keep checking up on it................

SPARTAN VI
12-13-2002, 06:53 PM
I can say you're right about that. I could add Game Informer and EGM to the list. I think just about all reviews suck.

Yup, completely with ya on that.:)

Knight
12-13-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by TheCovenant
ummm okay, does anyone have the ability to think anymore?

Spartan has a very good read, along with personal commentary and opinion. This is actually one of the most stimulating threads iv'e been to in a while!(note: not sexually stimulating).

I'm glad to hear that about splinter cell. metroid fusion and metroid prime rated lower than GTA though? i dont know about that one. I dont think they are finally getting unbiased, i think they are they are shifting their biasness.

I sure would like to know what some intelligent writers have to say, Burning Ranger whats your take? or how about maximus? Lynuxfx? anyone who doesnt come in here and doesnt come in herre and write four words? i would like to know where this thread goes.....i'lll keep checking up on it................

GamePro hasn't changed any bit they are the same anti-XBox fanboys they have alleys ben! They just know even if they hate the XBox they can't give killers apps like Splinter Cell a poor rating just because they hate the XBox!

SPARTAN VI
12-13-2002, 06:58 PM
No GamePro still sucks!

Yeah, I hate them for the Halo review, and the overall lack of information they give about the XBOX. But, hating them won't change the influence they have on the 3 million readers. Unless enough people hate them as to the point where they go outta business.

Knight
12-13-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by SPARTAN VI

Yeah, I hate them for the Halo review, and the overall lack of information they give about the XBOX. But, hating them won't change the influence they have on the 3 million readers. Unless enough people hate them as to the point where they go outta business.

But you can do your part not give them any money!

SPARTAN VI
12-13-2002, 07:12 PM

But you can do your part not give them any money!

Way ahead of ya. Im running on a free subscription.:D End in a month or so, and my EGM is already dead too. So I think I'll go to OXM.

Cloud Strife
12-13-2002, 07:16 PM

Way ahead of ya. Im running on a free subscription.:D End in a month or so, and my EGM is already dead too. So I think I'll go to OXM. I actaully like OXM a lot. The only problem is my demo disc would rarely work correctly and they would be late on sending me new issues. Maybe with my Xbox fixed, I don't have to boil any more disc.

Knight
12-13-2002, 07:17 PM

Way ahead of ya. Im running on a free subscription.:D End in a month or so, and my EGM is already dead too. So I think I'll go to OXM.

I know after my subscription to Game Informer ends there never getting any money from me! I never onces subscripted to EGM, even after them sending me 40 mail ads to subscrip, but they have now given up, only toke them 3 years of sending me crap about there magazine! So EGM less money on me hehehehehehehehe!

Knight
12-13-2002, 07:19 PM
I actaully like OXM a lot. The only problem is my demo disc would rarely work correctly and they would be late on sending me new issues. Maybe with my Xbox fixed, I don't have to boil any more disc.

But your getting your DVD drive in your XBox fixed so it should be working on it soon! And the XBN #5 has a good read on SW:JKOTOR!

Cloud Strife
12-13-2002, 07:21 PM

I know after my subscription to Game Informer ends there never getting any money from me! I never onces subscripted to EGM, even after them sending me 40 mail ads to subscrip, but they have now given up, only toke them 3 years of sending me crap about there magazine! So EGM less money on me hehehehehehehehe! My Babbages constantly tries to push the magazine on anyone who buys used games. I stopped shopping there because the employees there are anti-Xbox and will treat you bad if you buy an Xbox game.:(

SPARTAN VI
12-13-2002, 07:26 PM
My Babbages constantly tries to push the magazine on anyone who buys used games. I stopped shopping there because the employees there are anti-Xbox and will treat you bad if you buy an Xbox game.:(

What?!?!:eek: :mad: I smell a BOYCOTT A-STIRRING!!

Knight
12-13-2002, 07:27 PM
My Babbages constantly tries to push the magazine on anyone who buys used games. I stopped shopping there because the employees there are anti-Xbox and will treat you bad if you buy an Xbox game.:(

All Gamestops(Babbages) push it because they own the magazine!

HaloMasterVI
12-14-2002, 07:24 AM
EGM used to be the best, now they are all about "peace for the console with the most owners" and that's it. Everything is put second best to PS2, no matter what it is. and how they had the audacity to rate MGS2 Substance higher than Splinter Cell, I'll never know...also, they completely spoiled and devirginized their coveted Platinum rating by giving one to GTA VC...ntm the issue before last, Xbox awards were ripped away by Shane B.

P-Rock
12-14-2002, 10:37 AM
That's pretty funny actually. Before I got the Xbox, and I visited any gaming sites, I was a subscriber to Gamepro for 3 years. Hey, I didn't know any better, so can ya blame me?

But I did realize their biases and I stopped subscribing. I'm actually not surbscribing to any gaming mag right now, just cause I can get everything I need here. Its mostly those P-Rock music mags for me right now. :D

Evil_Dr_Beefy
12-14-2002, 01:11 PM
C'mon guys bias or not..i like to read reviews on a new game. If a fanbase can change the way things are reviewed..be it movies, games or books......then we are in trouble!!!!

SPARTAN VI
12-14-2002, 04:06 PM
The only reason why a mag would be more convenient that a website, is the fact that I can take it anywhere I want. It's nice to bring it in during class and instead of learning how to balance chemical formulas, I read up on whats going on in the gaming world. I can't really do that with website can I? Unless I bring in a PDA that has interenet capabilities, but it costs so much, the risk of it getting stolen or lost is too great. No one wants to steal a mag...especially if it's a GamePro.:rolleyes:

Cloud Strife
12-14-2002, 04:14 PM
I admit that I'm also subscribed to PSM magazine. I have every single issue besides one. I use to like that magazine a while ago but now I hate it. They constantly say in the magazine PS2 is number 1, Xbox sucks, and complain about Sega's support for the PS2. They keep sending me letters to resubsribe but I will not.;)

The only good multi-platform magazine to me is Play Magazine. Great reviews and coverage.:cool: