PDA

View Full Version : 20gig HD in PAL xboxs??

Snoopy7548
12-14-2002, 09:54 AM
i was on xboxhacker.net today, and i found this:

Fluke Xbox Packaged With 20gb drive? UPDATED - iretch @ 20:17 CST
griffe writes:

One of my friend bought a pal xbox 1.1(we are in FRANCE) with the JSRF+Sega GT bundle. And when we opended it to fit a matrix modchip, we found a seagate 20gb HD...

I thought that there was only 8gb and 10 gb HD in xboxes. Anyone else found a 20gb hd in his xbox ?

No idea where this came from, perhaps a refurb modded system that the previous owner accidently left a large drive in? Go figure. Havent heard any other reports of this, mail me if you do. Griffe should be supplying pictures of the drive tomorrow.

UPDATE

marcux adds:

with the 20 gig model.. The company I used to work for bought HDD's in bulk to put in prototyping machines.. the problem was.. the smallest HDD that we could buy was a 20 gig hdd... i can imagine that it's cost the same to make an 8 gig hdd that it does to make a 20.. we only used 5 megs of the 20 gig hdd's.. so i think what's going to happen are that new xbox being built are going to have 20 gig hdd in them..

Guess we can expect more of these to turn up once Microsoft's backlog of 8/10gb drives runs out. Almost like they support homebrew :)

UPDATE

Been getting quite a few reports of these 20gb drives coming in. All PAL boxes.

Cloud Strife
12-14-2002, 10:45 AM
That sounds quite strange to me. I believe my system has a 10 gig harddrive.

Spike Minoda
12-14-2002, 11:31 AM
as if 8 werent enough!

Evil_Dr_Beefy
12-14-2002, 12:04 PM
They should be making it way stateside soon enough......20gig...is way cool...i don't even think that 20gig is enough..with all of the upcoming downloadable extras from xbox live. i wish that bill would allow us to upgrade our harddrives to whatever size we see fit.....80gig or 120gig...

Dre
12-14-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy
They should be making it way stateside soon enough......20gig...is way cool...i don't even think that 20gig is enough..with all of the upcoming downloadable extras from xbox live. i wish that bill would allow us to upgrade our harddrives to whatever size we see fit.....80gig or 120gig...

Even though you have 20 gigs, you're still only using 8 gigs max. All Xbox's have a storage capacity dependent on the Xbox filesystem which allows for only 8 gigs. So although you might find it to be cool to have a 20 gig, its completely useless...

Unreal
12-14-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
That sounds quite strange to me. I believe my system has a 10 gig harddrive.
I believe that depended on where your Xbox came from it had a 8 or a 10 gig hd. I think Mexico was 8 and I do not remember the other country that was supplying them.

rio2012
12-14-2002, 03:51 PM
Wow..... thats odd. Plus you dont really need an xbox with a 20gig hard drive cause its overkill my friend copied the content of his old xbox HD and the bigest filesize in the drive was only about 500kb!!!!!!

Kraft
12-14-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Dre

Even though you have 20 gigs, you're still only using 8 gigs max. All Xbox's have a storage capacity dependent on the Xbox filesystem which allows for only 8 gigs. So although you might find it to be cool to have a 20 gig, its completely useless...

Not necessarily, Dre. If you install a modchip and flash the bios there is a good chance that it might open up all 20 gigs. Though by doing this you are screwing yourself out of the chance to use XBL since it checks for stuff like that.

AmpedRider
12-14-2002, 04:01 PM
8 gigs is enough 4 me :rolleyes:

Dre
12-14-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA

Not necessarily, Dre. If you install a modchip and flash the bios there is a good chance that it might open up all 20 gigs. Though by doing this you are screwing yourself out of the chance to use XBL since it checks for stuff like that.

Well Kraft, I thought it would be pretty obvious that with a modchip things are different. :)

sandeep
12-15-2002, 12:39 AM
^ dre's right. Harddrives are never the exact same size, so to keep things simple the xbox only creates an 8gb partition (i believe it's actually 4 x 2gig partitions). the 10 gig drives are only formatted for 8 gigs, so are the 20's in other box's.

when you get into modifications of the box, there is plenty that you can do including swapping out the 10 and putting in a 120 (or whatever size you'd like i suppose). there's a whole lot you can do with it, simply because it is so similar to a computer.

but then again, not only do you bring with it problems with xbox live (there are ways to get around that already by the way) but you bring the problems of PC gaming to your xbox, one reason that i prefer console gaming is that everything just works, the biggest error you can get is that the disc is dirty and cant be read. once you start using different bios's and dashboard's and all that, it adds the element of having to troubleshoot it when something goes wrong.

i don't plan on modding my xbox, partly for that very reason, but there are many others.

a memory card is 8 megs. even if you can only use 2 gigs of the harddisc for actual saved games, i think you can see that there is a ridiculous amount of space there.

the only thing that might fill it up is if you've got a lot of music copied to it.

Insane Jester
12-15-2002, 08:49 AM
After reading this i decided to take apart the brand new xbox which i have bought for my younger bro for x-mas .. it is a pal xbox im in the u.k and its bundled with sega gt 2002 and jest set radio future ..... it has a 20 gig hard drive in it .. i have also taken my xbox apart to have a look which i bought from day one .. 10 gig .... all i can think is that 10 gig's are gone forever and smallest drive now are 20 gig .... evil thoughts cross my mind .. should i exchange myne for my bros heheheheh mwwwaahahahahahaa

no no that would be just evil .....

J0K3R
12-15-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA

The new modchip allows you to play online thru XBL. I have a 120gig HDD in mine & yes I am using the space available........

bbchs_trash
12-15-2002, 05:46 PM
^^^^Yeah... I believe that... go away now Troll^^^

# 1 Stunner
12-15-2002, 05:56 PM
im lost on all this..sumone explain this in simple terms.......:confused:

J0K3R
12-15-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by bbchs_trash
^^^^Yeah... I believe that... go away now Troll^^^

Troll..........That's a good one. STFU

If ya knew anything about how to mod the XBox you would know that I am speakin the truth.

Matrix ModChip
Evolution X
120gig HDD

F partition is used to store the games.......(aka...no DISC required).........hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm....... now, how stupid do you feel Trashboy. But you did pick a good username, since all you can do is talk trash and not know what you are talking about.

Cloud Strife
12-15-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Unreal

I believe that depended on where your Xbox came from it had a 8 or a 10 gig hd. I think Mexico was 8 and I do not remember the other country that was supplying them. Actually, I remember hearing the opposite. The Xbox that was opened on a certain site was made in Mexico and had a 10 gig harddrive. It was Hungary with the 8 gig.