PDA

View Full Version : HALO for PC

Stormlord
12-17-2002, 08:04 PM
HEHEHE it's been a while since I've come back to these forums. But man oh man I recieved an e-mail from Gamespy Weekly and it gave me a link to the Gearbox forums. Some HALO "fans" posted on what they would like to see on their PORT and some are stating untrue statements about the X-Box version. How can you talk trash on a game you haven't Played? Some request are impossible to down right ridiculous. Make Halo 64 player MMOFPS?????................. How is that possible? You can travel all of Halo without any loads? Bungie said that the code for Halo is closed and they bicker for MOD Support? Banshees in multiplayer, wouldn't that be unfair to all ground troops? NEW Alien races and new unlockable weapons (laser sword). Melee weapons would be pointless since the Covenant and Flood can eaily take you out if you don't have your guns blazing if you're spotted. And why are they requesting a new Alien race if that would ruin the entire story line? IF they get all these things they want then I believe that the Black and White for X-Box should have the tribal war feature just like Black and White 2 for PC. But we all know it's not gonna happen.

Well I can be posting about over 100 things they've asked for but if you go to the Gearbox forums and see for your self. Some things just made me laugh. I personally wouldn't touch Halo for PC when I can wait for Hallo 2. Hey they can dream but if a lot of things they ask for aren't put in they'll shrug Halo off as being lame when a lot us X-Boxers know how great it is. Plus is there a point to Halo on PC when about a few months later Doom 3 would be released on PC and Halo 2 on X-Box? But yes this industry is more for the money so what can anybody do. If you plan on buying Halo for PC be my guest the only I would is if the Multiplayer is better than X-Box. If you want you can post a request at the boards but don't expect it to be like the sequal or new Single-Player levels that add to the story as they've been asking. Halo Wish List (http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Halo&Number=101&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1) :) ;) :eek: :cool:

J Dub
12-17-2002, 08:29 PM
I didn't even know Halo PC was still on. I haven't heard anything about it in so long.

Anyways, ya some of those things are really ridiculous and/or things that are going to be in Halo 2. If Halo actually comes out for the PC, I wouldn't expect much more than what's in the Xbox version. Expect a port (IMO).

Cloud Strife
12-17-2002, 08:33 PM
They should release Halo on the PC after the release of Halo 2. They should never release Halo 2 on PC though.

rio2012
12-17-2002, 09:21 PM
Anyway the only graphics card that can really support Halo 2 with advanced effects over the xbox is the $400 dollar radon 9700pro.:cool: Which I am geting for christmass!!

Ethereal S. D.
12-18-2002, 07:32 AM
Do you guys want Halo multiplayer to be ruined like Counter-Strike? I bet that as soon as it is released on pc, there are going to be llamas and cheaters galore. Why ruin a perfect game?
I'd prefer to wait for Halo 2 with it's X-Box Live feature than sit around my computer and get raped by cheaters and be blasted away by team killing llamas. Mind you I can still snipe like crazy but what's the use if you can't even get possetion of a sniper because you're deeking aimbot and friendly fire? so I say no to Halo on PC. (because console games cannot be modified in any way and cheats cannot be activated due to the fact that there is no SP Console)

Stormlord
12-18-2002, 09:28 AM
Yeah, they were asking for in-game cheats and then unlockable levels, characters and weapons by beating it on Legendary............Eh then wouldn't you just cheat to get the extra content? They're practically asking for Halo 2 and Planetside put together. Not even Halo 2 will have all this crap they want. Plus Gearbox is known for developing games that get very easily hacked.:rolleyes: Like I said, I'd onjly touch Halo on PC if the multiplayer is awesome but even I'm skeptical about how easily PC online gaming gets hacked. Anyways the Halo on X-Box was the PC version. The Halo that is truely meant for X-Box is Halo 2. SO they're going to have to live with how Halo is now while we enjoy Halo 2!!!

Duke
12-18-2002, 10:21 AM
I seem to remember a lot of those same things being asked for in xbox forums when there was still the halo 1.5 rumor going around.

I don't see why it's worse just because they play on the pc.

LynxFX
12-18-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn
I seem to remember a lot of those same things being asked for in xbox forums when there was still the halo 1.5 rumor going around.

I don't see why it's worse just because they play on the pc.
Because it isn't. It is just console fanboyism vs PC's. They just want the best game possible. Halo is far from perfect and alot of the stuff they mention would make it a better game.

It will be interesting when to see what they do with Halo come spring and summer, which is when it will be released on the PC.

Stormlord
12-18-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA

Because it isn't. It is just console fanboyism vs PC's. They just want the best game possible. Halo is far from perfect and alot of the stuff they mention would make it a better game.

It will be interesting when to see what they do with Halo come spring and summer, which is when it will be released on the PC.

Really? I didn't know the PC port was going to be way better than our POS console version...............LOL. 1.5 was believed to be an add-on but it turned out to be Halo 2. And from what I've heard about Halo 2 alot of suggestions from fans will be answered. But as for PC Halo.....how are you going to give all these things in so little time and relates to the sequel? Gearbox is just porting not developing. If Gearbox adds anything to make it better for PC fans 1 of 2 things would happen. 1) Microsoft/Bungie pulls the plug, 2) Bungie to keep the console gamers happy must delay Halo 2 and really release a Halo 1.5. But as in my first post they're asking for impossible things, even stuff that will ruin the story. Yes some stuff can make it better but a crap load would make the game just plain suck. Well if you want to spend top Dollar for when it comes out (have you noticed that now all new PC games go up to $70?) be my guest but a lot of people will know that there is no point.:D :cool: :) . Just like DOOM 3, when Activision has to port it to X-Box we can't ask for a million things and actually expect something similar to a non-existent Quake 4. It's just the way it has to be.

Professor Kaos
12-18-2002, 09:02 PM
This is from that list
-You have to speed up the game!!!
I have tried Halo on a xbox and it was so d**m slow!!
The jeep for exampel, in the movies ju can see it jump over cliffs and making O-turns, but when I tried it I could almost not get upp a slope and when I was crusing the beach it felt like I was going in slow-mo!!

So speed the game up (or atleast the jeep) PLEASE!!!!!-

I didnt think there was anything wrong with the speed of the warthog (jeep as this guy calls it) obvioulsy he doesnt know wtf he is talkin bout.

ShannonX
12-18-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by rio2012
Anyway the only graphics card that can really support Halo 2 with advanced effects over the xbox is the $400 dollar radon 9700pro.:cool: Which I am geting for christmass!!

actually, if you know where to look, you can find them for as cheap as 300 - 315 =)

ryanxbox123
12-18-2002, 10:04 PM
It was coming out just before halo 2.

Dark Enemy
12-18-2002, 10:08 PM
IN MY OPINION IT SHOULDNT BE RELEASED because it would ruin the money they coulld get for HALO2 HAlo was such a good seller and HALO2 coming out can sell alot of systems and i mean alot.:eek:

LynxFX
12-18-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Stormlord
Really? I didn't know the PC port was going to be way better than our POS console version...............LOL.
I never said either of those things.

But as for PC Halo.....how are you going to give all these things in so little time and relates to the sequel?
Who said they are going to put in all of those things? No one. Infact those are sudgestions of what fans want in the game. Nothing more. If the developers keep a finger on the pulse of the gaming community then those sudgestions are quite valid and might even influence the game. Also this isn't a little time. Halo was being developed for the PC first and foremost, then got scrapped to go to the Xbox. They also will have had a year and a half at least to bring this game to the market. They aren't starting from scratch since the Xbox contains an architecture that is a cousin to the PC.

If Gearbox adds anything to make it better for PC fans 1 of 2 things would happen. 1) Microsoft/Bungie pulls the plug, 2) Bungie to keep the console gamers happy must delay Halo 2 and really release a Halo 1.5.
You have got to be kidding. Microsoft wouldn't pull the plug. I can hear the argument now. "Hey we made a game of the year title even better than before which guarantees it to sell like crazy and it might even get people that bought the original Xbox Halo to buy it...but we heard it upset these two console fanboys so we aren't going to go through with it. Besides, we don't need the extra revenue."

But as in my first post they're asking for impossible things, even stuff that will ruin the story. Yes some stuff can make it better but a crap load would make the game just plain suck.
Let's break this down then.
64 Player online Sounds like one hell of an idea to me. Impossible? Not in the least. Ever hear of UT, BF1942, MOH:AA, Q3?
You can travel all of Halo without any loads. That probably isn't probable. Of course with a PC you can install the game rather than playing off of a disc. Opens the door to some new possibilities.
MOD Support Probably the most important aspect of any game that gets released on the PC now. MODS are what keep games living. Half Life is 5 years old and is still selling because of...MODS. Not offering MOD support won't kill the game, but it sure won't help it either.
Banshees in multiplayer. Sounds like fun to me. Unfair? How? You can shoot them down just as easy as anything else. Hmmm, flying craft against ground troups. Now what game have I seen that in....oh yeah. BF1942.
NEW Alien races and new unlockable weapons (laser sword). My guess is that this really means skins. Completely possible. New weapons? Sure. If the enemy has them, I want them too. The sword would be a blast to have.

So far of all the things you posted about only one is remotely close to impossible and that is no load times. Everything else seems well within reason to compete with todays offering of games.

Well if you want to spend top Dollar for when it comes out (have you noticed that now all new PC games go up to $70?) be my guest but a lot of people will know that there is no point.
Where do you shop? Every new release I buy for the PC is $40 or less. I rarely find them higher unless it is after the first week of release. Otherwise they are $50...the same as consoles. One recent exception would be Warcraft III which had a retail of $60 but you could find it for $35 on release day. Quit trying to make up stuff to prove your point.

Just like DOOM 3, when Activision has to port it to X-Box we can't ask for a million things and actually expect something similar to a non-existent Quake 4. It's just the way it has to be.
Why not? If there was a year and a half difference between the release for the PC and the release for the Xbox then yah, ask for new stuff. Have them make it better. They aren't being released that far apart so it isn't a fair comparison.

If you really think this is all pointless to ask then I sudgest you not play UT2003 since Epic was present, finger on pulse, the entire time of developement. People asked for features and if they were good they got them. The game has been released and people are still asking for stuff and guess what? We are getting them. New game modes, maps and other goodies are coming in a free add on pack.

As for RIO2012

Anyway the only graphics card that can really support Halo 2 with advanced effects over the xbox is the $400 dollar radon 9700pro.
Any current generation video card will work fine for Halo 2. What do you think is in the Xbox?

JJaX
12-19-2002, 10:26 AM
Go lynx, go lynx, its your birthday, go lynx! :)

64 player halo would kick ass. To bad it would be almost impossible to cap the flag in CTF. Unless you were able to shoot with the flag.

LynxFX
12-19-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
Go lynx, go lynx, its your birthday, go lynx! :)

64 player halo would kick ass. To bad it would be almost impossible to cap the flag in CTF. Unless you were able to shoot with the flag.
I could only imagine. :D I used to play 32 player CTF in UT and it was crazy. You really had to be on your toes. Just imagine the same only with vehicles in Halo. Definately takes the game to a new level.

JJaX
12-19-2002, 01:03 PM

I could only imagine. :D I used to play 32 player CTF in UT and it was crazy. You really had to be on your toes. Just imagine the same only with vehicles in Halo. Definately takes the game to a new level.

Yeah, the servers I frequent are 12-24 players. But UT is a much faster paced game and theres ways to elude or trick a defense.. I love grabbing the flag and fighting my way back home :cool:

If you play UT, not UT2k3 drop me a PM., We should play :cool:

In halo you got the flag and you're a crawling target.

LynxFX
12-19-2002, 01:16 PM
I don't have UT installed anymore. I should probably reinstall it but there are so many other games I'm playing right now. So little time to play them all. :)

JJaX
12-19-2002, 01:20 PM
I don't have UT installed anymore. I should probably reinstall it but there are so many other games I'm playing right now. So little time to play them all. :)

Very true! I havent played UT since i got XBL :eek:

Well if you ever reinstall it and want a good ass kicking Let me know.

TheCovenant
12-22-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
They should release Halo on the PC after the release of Halo 2. They should never release Halo 2 on PC though.

havent you heard? halo 2 will not be on pc. xbox exclusive.:)

TheCovenant
12-22-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by PublicEnemy2k3
IN MY OPINION IT SHOULDNT BE RELEASED because it would ruin the money they coulld get for HALO2 HAlo was such a good seller and HALO2 coming out can sell alot of systems and i mean alot.:eek:

halo 1 is coming out to lure pc gamers onto the xbox. releasing halo 1 and then 6 months later, releasing halo 2 on the xbox, will lure many away from the pc and unto an xbox.

when it comes to money, Microsoft know what htey're doing.....

TheCovenant
12-22-2002, 04:53 PM
IMO, the dev. team at bungie is very satisfied with their game. a pc version was promised and bungie must deliver.

of course lynux, imust agree, some of these requests are very extravagant. gearbox doesnt have the license to change the game in any way, unless authorized by bungie. bungie is hard at work with halo 2, and an unannounced project, named pheonix that runs off the halo engine.

did anyone play the port of half life or UT on ps2? how many extra features did you find? in fact, how many extra features do you find in any ports? seldomly, do you find so much revenue, that the game is almost an entirely different expirience.

halo is far from perfect, every game is. there is no such thing as a perfect game. but halo sure got damn close. and if they dont want to spoil the fragile balance in aliens and weapons, they wont really screw witht hte game that much. and if anything new was put into the game, endless months of testing would surley ensure, or you get a really buggy game. (redemption, anyone?)

the game will most likely be that, a port. sure , now they have a multiplayer code, so you can play online. and that is what most xbox'ers are yearning for. besides that, i think that is all the attention halo for pc will recieve.

LynxFX
12-22-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by TheCovenant
havent you heard? halo 2 will not be on pc. xbox exclusive.:)

Exclusiveness does not pertain to PC's. Halo is still Xbox exclusive, yet will be on the PC. Expect Halo 2 to show up eventually on the PC but only after it has had a good reign on the Xbox.

TheCovenant
12-22-2002, 05:48 PM
i know what exclusive means. and halo 2 will not be on pc. i'm not assuming this, lynx, i read it. it was announced. it part of a microsoft/bungie marketing campaign.

seriously.

LynxFX
12-22-2002, 06:11 PM
I reallize that covenant. Of course they said the same about Halo which is why I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

FuNkY mOnK
12-22-2002, 06:15 PM
If i'm not mistaken i read in the last issue of oxm that halo2 migth go to gamecube and ps2 as well, after xbox of course.

Shadow20002
12-22-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
If i'm not mistaken i read in the last issue of oxm that halo2 migth go to gamecube and ps2 as well, after xbox of course.

Are you kidding right ??
:confused:

OuFtb
12-22-2002, 07:58 PM
That sould not happen but it would not be good news for the Xbox

TheCovenant
12-22-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK

hahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahh ahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahah ahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahaha hahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahaha hahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha haahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahha hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaa hahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahaha hahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah ahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahaha hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahaha hahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahaha hahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha hhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahah ahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahaha hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahaha hahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhah hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahah aahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahaha hahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhaha hahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaaha hahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahaha

TheCovenant
12-22-2002, 11:06 PM
I reallize that covenant. Of course they said the same about Halo which is why I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

oh.

well in that case, duely noted.

FuNkY mOnK
12-23-2002, 08:08 AM
In response to TheCovenant, my reaction wasn't quite the same when i read it, i was like WTF!?!? i'm back tracking the article, it is in one of the last four issues of oxm. where they clearly say"when it goes to other consoles". Halo2 that is.

xboxman_1
12-23-2002, 11:45 AM
In response to TheCovenant, my reaction wasn't quite the same when i read it, i was like WTF!?!? i'm back tracking the article, it is in one of the last four issues of oxm. where they clearly say"when it goes to other consoles". Halo2 that is.

Dude, Microsoft owns Bungie. Are you expecting to see Mario on the xbox?

FuNkY mOnK
12-23-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by xboxman_1

Dude, Microsoft owns Bungie. Are you expecting to see Mario on the xbox?

if sales continue to drop, i dont see any other alternitive. do you?

xboxman_1
12-23-2002, 12:54 PM
if sales continue to drop, i dont see any other alternitive. do you?

For nintendo or microsoft?

There may be no alternative, but they don't have to do anything. Putting Halo 2 on all consoles may be smart for making money, but keeping it exclusive will sell a lot of consoles in microsofts favor. I don't see any reason to put it on other consoles.

FuNkY mOnK
12-23-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by xboxman_1

For nintendo or microsoft?

There may be no alternative, but they don't have to do anything. Putting Halo 2 on all consoles may be smart for making money, but keeping it exclusive will sell a lot of consoles in microsofts favor. I don't see any reason to put it on other consoles.

i was referring to nintendo, but i read in oxm, damn it i wish i could find the fcuking article were they mentioned other consoles regarding Halo2. but anyway even if they did release it across multiple platforms xbox would be the superior version, and quite frankly i wouldn't worry about seeing halo2 on ps2 or gamecube.

xboxman_1
12-23-2002, 01:29 PM
i was referring to nintendo, but i read in oxm, damn it i wish i could find the fcuking article were they mentioned other consoles regarding Halo2. but anyway even if they did release it across multiple platforms xbox would be the superior version, and quite frankly i wouldn't worry about seeing halo2 on ps2 or gamecube.

I would. even if it was worse, considering about all we have in the proverbail console war at the moment it Halo. And if Halo 2 was on multiple consoles, we'd be screwed.

GokuX
12-24-2002, 06:15 PM
Halo for the PC is 40% done. Looks like it isn't so easy to port after all. According to the article here at Gamespot interviewing Randy Pitchford of Gearbox:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2907480,00.html

From the article:

"The first major hurdle has been to port the game engine to run on a PC. Although many think of the Xbox as a modified PC, Pitchford notes that the Nvidia graphics chip in the console is highly specialized, and since Halo was a first generation Xbox game, it doesn't deal with the hardware as elegantly as it could have."

Just read that, it's informative to some extent.