PDA

View Full Version : What good is the HDTV adapter?

tennyson
12-18-2002, 08:39 AM
I understand that it can raise the resolution of games that support HDTV, but honestly, how many game out their support it? I recently got an HDTV and would buy this in a second if more than 4 games (the most I could find right now) allowed for higher definition.

For people that have the adapter, is the picture that much better? How exactly does it enhance the picture, by cutting down on the jaggies?

Anyway, I would love to pick this item up, but I can't justify it until more games will be able to use it. If anyone knows if more XBox titles will begin supporting High-definition, please let me know. Thanks for your help!

Cloud Strife
12-18-2002, 12:08 PM
Why wouldn't the picture be better?

Zion
12-18-2002, 12:15 PM
Even if the game does not support true HD, doesn't the HD adapter allow you to use the component connection? That right there is worth the price alone. That will improve the image quality of 100% of the games.

MerimacHamwich
12-18-2002, 12:37 PM
Well all games use EDTV which is a resolution of 420p. Whereas your regular resolution is 420i. (maybe its 480 for both of those, seems to have slipped my mind) Then there are several games that use 720p. Only a select few use 1080i. The i means interlaced and the p means progressive scan.

Basically it will really sharpen up the picture. It will take out fuzziness and stuff. The hop from 420i to 420p isn't very noticable. However, the other jumps should be quite noticable. If you are getting jaggies it is becuase of the scan lines on your tv. Not becuase the xbox has jaggies, which it reportedly doesn't.

I say if you have the money, do it.
:)

tennyson
12-18-2002, 01:58 PM
The TV I use can scan all the way up to 1080i, and maybe I'm just being picky about the jaggies part. If I did happen to buy the AV Pack, would I need to buy any extra cabling (assuming I am currently use just what came with the XBox)?

Oh, and one more question. I'm not too knowledgable on the HDTV scene, so when a game has "HDTV" on the back, is that different than "480","720" or "1080i"?

AcidJazz
12-18-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by tennyson
How exactly does it enhance the picture, by cutting down on the jaggies?

Everything will looks sharper and cleaner, but jaggies are more noticeable on HDTV's. Just heads-up for you.

l Maximus l
12-18-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by tennyson
The TV I use can scan all the way up to 1080i, and maybe I'm just being picky about the jaggies part. If I did happen to buy the AV Pack, would I need to buy any extra cabling (assuming I am currently use just what came with the XBox)?

Oh, and one more question. I'm not too knowledgable on the HDTV scene, so when a game has "HDTV" on the back, is that different than "480","720" or "1080i"?

Dude, Tennyson! Welcome to the HDTV crowd. I also own an HDTV. First and foremost, the High Definition A/V pack should be mandatory for you. Honestly, I wouldn't give it another second and go purchase it right away.

Your HDTV utilizes Component video inputs. These inputs on the back of your HDTV are colored blue, green, and red. These inputs produce the most superior video quality possible regardless of using high definition progressive scanning.

Secondly, all but a couple games utilize 480p or higher resolution. As Merimach explained, "p" behind "480" means "progressive scan". This resolution can only be attained if you are utilizing your component inputs with the High Definition A/V pack. In addition, more games are starting to utilize 720p and 1080i.

A regular Tube television only produces interlace scan, not progressive scan like your HDTV does. The difference between Interlace scan and Progressive scan is this:

Interlace produces a series of lines that run horizontally. First, these lines start from the top of your screen and work the way down the screen. So, what it does is it makes a line, then skips a line, makes a line, then skips and line, etc all the way down to the bottom. And, then, the lines that were skipped are filled in on the way up. This is how the video image is produced on a tube or interlaced scan television. So, 480i, for example, would mean that there are 480 lines being drawn via interlaced scan.

As for Progressive scan, the video image is created by one big swoop. No lines are skipped and the image is produced both up and down. This is why the resolution is so much more brilliant. So, with 480p, 480 lines are being drawn via progressive scan. With 720p, 720 lines are being drawn via progressive scan and so on. The higher the number, the higher the resolution.

Finally, with 1080i...eventhough this is interlaced scan and not progressive, the resolution with 1080 lines is actually better than even 720 lines via progressive scan. The more lines, the better...especially when there are 360 more lines being drawn. This gives you a brilliant resolution.

So, long story short, get a High Definition A/V pack or the XBox Monster 400 series Component Video inputs. :)

JimmieDoogan
12-18-2002, 05:56 PM
ALL XBOX GAMES except for one that escapes me right now (if I remeber right, it sucked anyway) support HD rez. Some at different rezes but most are 480i.

MerimacHamwich
12-18-2002, 06:49 PM
480p = EDTV
720p & 1080i = HDTV

You will have to buy two things most likely. The HD A/V pack and the component cables. In canadians funds this could run you anywhere from 50$ at a bargian to 100$ at an average pricing.

AmpedRider
12-18-2002, 08:38 PM
i have hdtv pack on my 20" flat with component and it looks great

l Maximus l
12-18-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
480p = EDTV
720p & 1080i = HDTV

You will have to buy two things most likely. The HD A/V pack and the component cables. In canadians funds this could run you anywhere from 50$ at a bargian to 100$ at an average pricing.

The High Definition A/V Pack that XBox has available includes Component video cables, just so you know :)

MerimacHamwich
12-18-2002, 09:20 PM
Really? Wait, oh yeah. I remember getting that stuff too. Thanks for reminding me Maximus! Now I feel like I got more for my money. I was thinking of the optical video cable.

tennyson
12-18-2002, 09:25 PM
Thanks for all of your help everyone! This information gave me a much clearer understanding of the way HDTV works in conjunction with our beloved green box.

Thanks again!!! :)

l Maximus l
12-19-2002, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Really? Wait, oh yeah. I remember getting that stuff too. Thanks for reminding me Maximus! Now I feel like I got more for my money. I was thinking of the optical video cable.

lol, no problem...but, I need to correct you just one more time :D

Optical cable is not for video..it's for audio...but, yes, that would be an additional cable required if you wanted to utilize a Surround Sound system :)

MerimacHamwich
12-19-2002, 05:58 PM
Man, my brain just wouldn't stop farting that night. I can't believe I said optical video cable....

XBOXfanINcincy
12-29-2002, 09:35 PM
Here is a good database of games and exactly what format they support. Notice Dragons Lair is the only one that supports 480p, 720p and 1080i. They add more to the XBOX list each day as they test them. 90% of the games listed are for the XBOX. Hope this helps.

http://144.92.43.200/hdg/