PDA

View Full Version : HDTV that natively supports ALL HDTV resolutions?

dougi3000
12-18-2002, 10:34 PM
I cannot seem to find an HDTV that supports 480i, 480p, 720p AND 1080i NATIVELY. What I mean by natively is that the TV will output the listed resolutions without upscaling/downscaling/stretching to the ONLY resolution they support.

ie. Most HDTV only support 540p/1080i. 540p is not even a standard resolution. 540p is ONLY included so they can say "progressive scan" but it isnt really, since the TV supports ONLY 1080i, and 540p is ONLY 1080i without showing the other field of the interlaced image (half of the image of 1080i).

All HDTVs I have seen scale up the 480p signal to "540p", or have some weird ass resolution where they have like 800lines and they scale all the "supported" resolutions to that one weird native resolution.

So, if you can find one of these HDTV, tell me because I have been looking since last year. The AV guys I talked to said the companies will soon get rid of the 540p and all native support for the progressive resolutions since nothing uses it (except xbox). They will scale all the crap and keep the costs low.

LynxFX
12-18-2002, 11:08 PM
540p for most companies is just an advertising mumbo jumbo. They figure if someone sees 480p and 540p next to each other they will go with the higher number. All in all they typically are considered the same and a 540p tv accepts 480p signals just fine.

The AV guys I talked to said the companies will soon get rid of the 540p and all native support for the progressive resolutions since nothing uses it (except xbox).
That guy doesn't sound like he knows what he is talking about. Nothing uses 480p? Ummm has this A/V guy ever heard of a product called DVD? Progressive scan will never go away. Hopefully 1080i will be replaced with 1080p.

As for your original question, tv's with support for 480p and 1080i natively are quite easy to find. They are everywhere. It is 720p that you will have a hard time finding cheaply. Scaling isn't really that bad either if you have a good scaler. Unfortunately most do not.

What HDTV's are you looking at?

dougi3000
12-18-2002, 11:32 PM
I looked at nearly all the TVs they had on the showroom floor, checking out the specs for each. There are basically 2 types for consumers 1080i/540p, and 960i/480p with scaling to support the other resolutions. Sony's and toshibas and samsungs and whatever else was there. I was looking for widescreen models specifically. and on a side note, projection TVs have come a long way, they don't fade in a bright room, and the viewing angle is quite good.

:)