PDA

View Full Version : Halo...am I retarded or what?

Hugh_Jass
11-21-2001, 08:07 PM
I just rented Halo from Blockbuster tonight. The game looks gorgeous but after two hours I still can't get used to the controls. It was bad enough when I was on foot but once I got into the Warthog I really made a mess of things. My vehicle overturned and I killed my passengers.

What is the learning curve on this game? Am I doomed to suck forever?:confused:

Robmx250
11-21-2001, 08:38 PM
lol me 2 ....

Frostberg
11-21-2001, 09:19 PM
I was annoyed, but I switched the controller to legend I think its called and I think its much better than the default. It just switches strafe and move, which makes it easier, because I had a hard time having my left thumb move right and left while the right one is strafing left and right.

Hugh_Jass
11-21-2001, 09:57 PM
I assume you mean "legacy". That does work better for me when on foot. It doesn't help my horrible driving, though.

I would have made the joystick control left or right, the left trigger act as break/reverse, and the right trigger for acceleration. This is how "Nascar Heat" works and I instantly felt comfortable with that.

Frostberg
11-21-2001, 10:12 PM
yeah thats how PGR is, but I guess in halo they didnt want people to get confused with the vehicles because for like the scorpion you need both triggers for weapons and i guess people might get confused if they moved the weapon buttons on the tank and had different controls for different vehicles.

teXman
11-21-2001, 10:31 PM
It's not you, its the warthog. I don't care who you are it takes some time to get used to the fact that you are going where the little blue chevron, arrow or whatever that thing is is pointing. You're not controlling the wheels you're controlling where you want to go.

dysrhythmia
11-21-2001, 10:43 PM
When I first tried halo at a videogame store booth I was all over the place....Now I swear if the Warthog was in PGR or GT3 I'd race that puppy and win! I love leading into turns with a nice slide, it rocks for a fps! I've said it before and I'll say it again...."Halo rocks my world!" :p

Pimpn419
11-21-2001, 11:24 PM
I had no troubles getting the controls down.. It came to me quicker than Quake 3 for Dreamcast did, and those controls are even more twisted and confusing than that of Halo. I'm about to beat the game, I'm on the last level, but I haven't tried to beat It since I've gotten that stage because I don't want to have It beat so soon!

-Matt

Chaotic
11-22-2001, 12:28 AM
Takes a little while to get the controls down, but once you do you will like them a lot, i know i sure do.

Hugh_Jass
11-22-2001, 08:18 AM
That's exactly right! The problem is not the controls it's the camera! You can't see where you're going---only where you WANT to go. Is there any way to lock the camera down to the front of the car?

scarecrow kfj
11-23-2001, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
I just rented Halo from Blockbuster tonight. The game looks gorgeous but after two hours I still can't get used to the controls. It was bad enough when I was on foot but once I got into the Warthog I really made a mess of things. My vehicle overturned and I killed my passengers.

What is the learning curve on this game? Am I doomed to suck forever?:confused:

In the wort hog it drive to where you look., in reverse look the way you want it to back up.

ShannonX
11-23-2001, 06:09 PM
hmm, it took me awhile to get used to. I had a hard time getting it into my head that where ever i was looking would be where the vehicles would go. Just remember theres a slight hesitation between looking and your vehicle actually turning (not much but a tiny bit) so make sure you dont overcorect. But once you get used to it, you can do slides and smash into the cov which is great fun specially with marines with ya as they love when you do "cool" stuff.

VAN
11-23-2001, 08:03 PM
Lemme just say that you better master the Warthog controls. The island level of the SIlent Cartographer is a great place to drive around unchallenged.

Again, you MUST master the warthog. It plays a pretty important role later in the game.

Twisted J
11-24-2001, 12:24 AM
i didnt have a problem getting used to them, and i didnt change anything..........