PDA

View Full Version : OMG turn to NBC now !!!

rio2012
12-19-2002, 05:46 PM
Turn to NBC now for a report on the influince of video games on todays kids!!!

P.S. do it NOW!!!!! it will be on in a few min

Toonz
12-19-2002, 06:01 PM
Was that the show where they stated there top 10 most violent games ? It was lame haha they put Whacked on the list :rolleyes:

carlbme
12-19-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Toonz
Was that the show where they stated there top 10 most violent games ? It was lame haha they put Whacked on the list :rolleyes:

Your joking right? Oh no!! My little girl is chasing me with a rubber duckie!! :rolleyes:

Cloud Strife
12-19-2002, 06:16 PM
Well, I missed it.:(

carlbme
12-19-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
Well, I missed it.:(

http://www.msnbc.com/news/813415.asp

Toonz
12-19-2002, 07:26 PM
This is what they said were the top 10

1. BMX XXX
2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
3. Dead to Rights
4. BloodRayne
5. Run Like Hell
6. Hunter the Reckoning
7. Hitman 2
8. Resident Evil 0 M
9. Time Splitters
10. Wacked! <--------- No joke haha

Snoopy7548
12-19-2002, 07:28 PM
how is bmx xxx violent?

carlbme
12-19-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
how is bmx xxx violent?

Nope, but sexual.

Toonz
12-19-2002, 08:07 PM
haha I dunno. My thoughts are this though.............On Much Music they have a show called To Much For Much in which they show controversial and or banned vids and discuss them. In one episode they talked about Karma Police by Radiohead and how in Canada the actually chopping off of the limbs was edited from the fat guy but the mermaids nipples were shown. However in the American version the chopping was shown but the nipples were censored. I've noticed this trend in many other situations since that show. In Canada we take more offense to actual violence apparently as a whole and in the U.S. they don't mind the violence so much but as whole dislike nudity. This is not a dig at anyone either before this turns into a Canada Vs. USA thread but rather my thinking why BMX XXX took the #1 spot.

GokuX
12-19-2002, 08:24 PM
LOL did they show Doom again to point out violence? Those 2D sprites are so real.

Ethereal S. D.
12-19-2002, 08:42 PM
I laughed my ass off at reading that the Columbine shooter liked to play Doom. I think he killed those people cause he couln't get any better games than that :D. People today (espectialy Baby boomers) tend to think that the video games are the devil! and it makes us more violent in our actions. Hell, I'd be violent if I had nothing to play but Doom. I say GET WITH THE TIMES and give me all the entertainement I can handle. Be it violence or nudity, bring it on:cool:.

Toonz
12-19-2002, 08:45 PM
haha no Doom sorry only newer stuff.

rio2012
12-19-2002, 08:51 PM
Nice posts Guys:D

Dark Enemy
12-19-2002, 08:55 PM
LMAO how in the hell is whacked violent game????????

EHWfedPres
12-19-2002, 10:09 PM
Whacked is bad but dismemberment and evisceration in Mortal Kombat is good for the children...:o

Video games do NOT influence people, if they did, we ALL would be killing dudes and stealing cars and looking to find where you parked your warthog...just that some kids are fuked up, sad but true. kids are fuked up.

bbchs_trash
12-19-2002, 10:22 PM
Hey guys... I don't find you funny.

One time someone through a rubber duckie at me and I fell off the counter... I was whacked....its worse than Hitman 2...

XBOX Dude
12-19-2002, 10:44 PM
this is bs if games influenced kids we'd all be running around in the dark trying to eat dots and fruit and running away from ghosts (aka pac-man)

you know why they pick on games? because it's an esaier traget and it gets people's attention. today's politics are all about the scare factor, like you kids are turning into violent death machines and we can stop it.so of course parents are going to listen and the gaming community has trouble defending themselves aganist people who mud sling for a living.
but i beat you not once do they blame the parents and i've never heard them mention anything about xbox's built in parental control system.

Cloud Strife
12-20-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
Whacked is bad but dismemberment and evisceration in Mortal Kombat is good for the children...:o

Video games do NOT influence people, if they did, we ALL would be killing dudes and stealing cars and looking to find where you parked your warthog...just that some kids are fuked up, sad but true. kids are fuked up. I have been wodering where you've been EHWfedPres.
Anyway I can't believe they put Whacked on there and it was rated Teen. On my local news yesterday, they started talking about violent games. All they showed were Halo and GTA VC over and over again. I didn't think Halo was that violent compared to Dead to Rights.

Frostberg
12-20-2002, 10:51 AM
Its not like putting whacked on any list wont effect sales, they suck either way...the list is clearly made up by a group of 40-50 year old parents/grandparents who just look at the title of the game and the back of the box...

bmx XXX....you can tell that coud be bad
GRND THEFT AUTO: vice city.....also just by reading the name, its automatically on the list...
DEAD to rights...ok there ya go
BLOODrayne...blood is badddd
Run like HELL...oo naughty words in the title, not for my child
HUNTER the reckoning...sounds like another killing game
HITMAN 2...yeah get the idea yet??
resident EVIL...mommy I want evil for christmas!
time splitters...ok this is prolly the cleanest name, kudos for 1/10 that took some effort...
WHACKED...sounds violent, but its not EVIL, no BLOOD, not DEAD, no XXX, not GRAND THEFT AUTO, no HELL, not HUNTER, no HITMAN...

They just went through a list of all newish games and pointed out the ones with bad sounding names...

No Fear 23
12-20-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg-XBA
Its not like putting whacked on any list wont effect sales, they suck either way...the list is clearly made up by a group of 40-50 year old parents/grandparents who just look at the title of the game and the back of the box...

bmx XXX....you can tell that coud be bad
GRND THEFT AUTO: vice city.....also just by reading the name, its automatically on the list...
DEAD to rights...ok there ya go
BLOODrayne...blood is badddd
Run like HELL...oo naughty words in the title, not for my child
HUNTER the reckoning...sounds like another killing game
HITMAN 2...yeah get the idea yet??
resident EVIL...mommy I want evil for christmas!
time splitters...ok this is prolly the cleanest name, kudos for 1/10 that took some effort...
WHACKED...sounds violent, but its not EVIL, no BLOOD, not DEAD, no XXX, not GRAND THEFT AUTO, no HELL, not HUNTER, no HITMAN...

They just went through a list of all newish games and pointed out the ones with bad sounding names...

tru dat,Unreal championship should be up there instead of whacked

PapaSKooT
12-20-2002, 04:20 PM
iw kids were influenced by video games, we would all be running around in a maze biung chased by ghosts listening to repetitive music. (ala pac man)

:D

UltimateAg
12-20-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by XBOX Dude
this is bs if games influenced kids we'd all be running around in the dark trying to eat dots and fruit and running away from ghosts (aka pac-man)

you know why they pick on games? because it's an esaier traget and it gets people's attention. today's politics are all about the scare factor, like you kids are turning into violent death machines and we can stop it.so of course parents are going to listen and the gaming community has trouble defending themselves aganist people who mud sling for a living.
but i beat you not once do they blame the parents and i've never heard them mention anything about xbox's built in parental control system.

LMAO! And great points! Actually I would be floating around in my triangle shooting pixel sized missles at dreaded polygons that break apart into smaller polygons.

Do these people even watch the evening news? I mean this is a generation that watched Lee Harvey Oswald killed on live TV!

Cloud Strife
12-20-2002, 08:39 PM
I don't think it's the videogames that influence kids, it's the parents. Parents just don't want to blame themselves ever.

ALC
12-22-2002, 03:12 AM
My favorite racing game in the world is Carmageddon 2, I found out about the carmageddon series thru a documentary i saw once on violent games. They're not COMPLETELY useless I guess :D

wulff
12-22-2002, 02:50 PM
I don't think it's the videogames that influence kids, it's the parents. Parents just don't want to blame themselves ever.

So true.The major population that runs these countries have no one to blame but themselves.If your parents dont instill good values from childhood ,on up to an adult then you will be lacking in life somehow.People these days have less and less home life to raise their family's and give good rearing.Politicians should be blamed for what they have done to these countries PERIOD.

I say if you have murderous intentions and are gonna kill someone,Make sure it's a politician so you can help us all out.Not your parents or classmates, friends, etc......

TheCovenant
12-22-2002, 03:27 PM
what a cheap shot. good thing this won't affect us in any way. If video games were ever banned, movies, literature, art, music, and even theatre will also be banned and/or censored. if you blame videogames, you're blaming media in general. dateline might make some whacko go nuts after hearing the sniper story, or ally mcbeal insider.

ANY media, is then, liable.

this cannot be. Such a massive industry, one that that is and continues to be part of every american human beings daily life, with such influence, can be the direct reason for violent crimes. If it were, the evidence would be more.....evident! The incidents more frequent!

but, alas!

a show that tells parents that it's not their fault. it is the fault of someone else. someone else raised their kids. someone else told them to do it.

the very thing that continues to put violence in games and tv (ratings, aka: money), is the same thing that makes shows like dateline and 20/20, talk about video games being violence is the fault of bad parenting. They are just looking for ratings, just like the violence in games.

although some violent behavior can be attributed to violence in media, it is still not the fault of the media.

when will people learn this. when?

Cloud Strife
12-22-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by wulff

So true.The major population that runs these countries have no one to blame but themselves.If your parents dont instill good values from childhood ,on up to an adult then you will be lacking in life somehow.People these days have less and less home life to raise their family's and give good rearing.Politicians should be blamed for what they have done to these countries PERIOD.

I say if you have murderous intentions and are gonna kill someone,Make sure it's a politician so you can help us all out.Not your parents or classmates, friends, etc...... You just said what I've been thinking.;) I see parents all the time leaving their kids places and not getting into their lives. That is why the kids do bad things because their not getting enough attention. I also see parents buy GTA Vice City for their kids every time I go out. Then the parents blame the game for making them violent when they were the ones who purchased the game.

TheCovenant
12-22-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
You just said what I've been thinking.;) I see parents all the time leaving their kids places and not getting into their lives. That is why the kids do bad things because their not getting enough attention. I also see parents buy GTA Vice City for their kids every time I go out. Then the parents blame the game for making them violent when they were the ones who purchased the game.

yes. yes. yes.

so friggin contradictory is this whole political mess.

FaTBoi702
12-22-2002, 10:25 PM
Bad parents and old people use video games as a scapegoat.

TheCovenant
12-22-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by FaTBoi702
Bad parents and old people use video games as a scapegoat.

indeed.