PDA

View Full Version : What are some.....

RacerX0311
12-21-2002, 05:42 PM
What are some good RPG games. I have never played one but I would like to try one. Could some one give me some choices and what a Role Playing Game is really like and all about?

Shadow20002
12-22-2002, 01:21 PM
Morrowind

P.S. Or if you have patient, wait until the end of next year to get Fable !!!

TheCovenant
12-22-2002, 02:08 PM
no flaming please....

final fantasy series.

dont have a ps2?

zelda:ocarina of time, zelda:majoras mask, Zelda:windwaker.

Dont have an N64 or a gamecube?

morrowind, everquest, baldurs gate, septerra core, diablo 1 and 2, ultima online, anarchy online, icewind dale series.

dont have a pc or would rather game on a console?

morrowind, for xbox.

sorry, but hey, we all know that xbox isnt the premier console for rpg's. im not saying that's all not gonna change, but as of now, just about any other system would be good for rpg's. i am of course speaking as an rpg fan. not an xbox fanboy.

SlightlySycho
12-22-2002, 09:59 PM
Shenmue II just came out a few weeks ago. I couldn't get into the first one, but the second one seems to be much better. Not really an RPG in the traditional sense; kind of a genre-blender. But it does have strong plot elements combined with an interactive world and character development. Controls take a little while to get used to, but once you do you shouldn't have any problems.

TheCovenant
12-23-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by SlightlySycho
Shenmue II just came out a few weeks ago. I couldn't get into the first one, but the second one seems to be much better. Not really an RPG in the traditional sense; kind of a genre-blender. But it does have strong plot elements combined with an interactive world and character development. Controls take a little while to get used to, but once you do you shouldn't have any problems.

true true. i guess you could have some fun with that. you could also try Genma onimusha. thats a great role playing adventure game, with some traditional rpg elements.

tenchi
01-03-2003, 12:59 PM
i dont really consider onimusha an rpg i would like to understand what makes you consider it one and tell me im interested in this point of view on that game.

preetz16
01-04-2003, 10:24 PM
This is what I STRONGLY suggest if you've never played an RPG before: Play The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. For the same price as an Xbox game you can buy a used N64 and the game and play what I believe to be the best game ever. I also advocate getting morrowind, but if you're totally unfamilar with RPGs Zelda is a great way to get hooked on them. It's what hooked me.

tenchi
01-04-2003, 11:17 PM
same here the very first rpg i ever played was ocarina of time and I loved it from the start and after that i got a playstation and moved on to the final fantasies.

Chandlz
01-06-2003, 03:38 AM
If you want to go old school play FF2, FF3, Chrono Trigger.

Also I loved Castlevainia: Symphony of the Night.

For PC I heard Asheron's Call 2 is supposed to be pretty good.

BradVanDam
01-06-2003, 03:49 AM
the best RPG on ps2 is by far , the game called Suikoden III , its the best RPG I have ever played , it is worth the price and purchase of PS2 alone.

- Brad

Bravo_2
01-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Chandlz
If you want to go old school play FF2, FF3, Chrono Trigger.

Also I loved Castlevainia: Symphony of the Night.

For PC I heard Asheron's Call 2 is supposed to be pretty good.

Do not get Asheron's Call 2. I played 1, and it is so linear. Wait for Galaxies or something besides getting AC2. I heard it is horrible. You can max out your level in a day.

tenchi
01-06-2003, 02:01 PM
I have played chrono trigger and its my favorite rpg of all time i dont know why particularly and cross was awsome to. I just got a snes emulator and i have FF2-5 and im going to beat them all if any of them are horrible i would like to kow before i start beating them.

dbryant341
01-18-2003, 09:50 AM
4 me the best rpg is either shenmue 2 (speaking of i'm starting a thread 4) or morrowind.

EHWfedPres
01-18-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by dbryant341
4 me the best rpg is either shenmue 2 (speaking of i'm starting a thread 4) or morrowind.

Shenmue 2 isnt an rpg, its an action/adventure game.

The only REAL rpg on any platform (besides the pc) is Morrowind.

Cloud Strife
01-19-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
Shenmue 2 isnt an rpg, its an action/adventure game.

The only REAL rpg on any platform (besides the pc) is Morrowind. Suikoden III, Wild Arms 3, Final Fantasy X, Shadow Hearts, Jade Cocoon 2, Evolution Worlds, Skies of Arcadia Legend, Grandia II, Legend of Legaia 2, etc. All of those are real RPG games. Morrowind is just an action title. The point of RPG games is entering commands for your character to do things.;)

GimliGod
01-19-2003, 11:09 AM
Ive said before, any game is an RPG if you look at it the certain way. Platformers - You take the role of a character and do whatever you have to do to save something or someone. Sports - You take the role of a player. Etc. Yea, I know this is kinda pointless but I just thought I would point it out. Anyway, supposing you are talking about Xbox RPG's, get Morrowind (sooo good), maybe Nightcaster 2 (I heard it was alright, nothing great though) or Metal Dungeon (which is an acquired taste)

Cloud Strife
01-19-2003, 12:15 PM
I'd like to try Metal Dungeon but nowhere has it to rent. I've like a few dungeon explorers like Time Stalkers and Shining The Holy Ark.

thallium
01-22-2003, 09:06 AM
If you have a PS1 then check out:

"The Legend of the Dragoon"

IMO it has the same feel as the final fantasys but has a little twist. the battles are still turn based like the FF's but when you attack timming is also considered. great game.

one suggestion though: If you go with this game get the stratagy guide. the only down fall to this game is you must collect items called stardust. you can't beat the game unless you found all of them. "it would suck to get to the very end and realize you missed one. that is quite a vast world with infinate possibilities to go back to and try to find one.

TheCovenant
02-03-2003, 08:14 PM
burning ranger, by all the games you named earlier as good rpg's, i could have sworn we were brothers.

lemme guess, you also had a dreamcast, and loved it with all your heart?

well all i must say is, the part in grandia 2 where you discover that God died, isnt that one of the greatest gaming moments......EVER!?!?!?!?!?!?

not to many people have played grandia 2 and i have been dying to talk to someone about it.........for 5 years now.......

SiGuy
02-07-2003, 10:05 PM
I'd say Morrowind. But since it's your first time playing an RPG Im not sure. Ive been playing RPG's for my whole life and this is kinda confusing for me. The xbox is kind of lacking in the rpg area. What other platforms do you own?

xboxman_1
02-08-2003, 11:39 PM
I've played like 2 RPG's ever....and Morrowind isn't that confusing for me. I think playing all of those "RPG's" is what confused you. You weren't used to role-playing.

SiGuy
02-09-2003, 03:49 PM
I wasnt used to the first person view and bein able to see your opponent coming. And theres a lot more to remember unlike the ordinary Zelda or Final Fantasy.

xboxman_1
02-09-2003, 04:16 PM
I wasnt used to the first person view and bein able to see your opponent coming. And theres a lot more to remember unlike the ordinary Zelda or Final Fantasy.

Exactly, you weren't used to role-playing.

SiGuy
02-09-2003, 04:18 PM
How are Zelda and Final Fantasy not role playing games

xboxman_1
02-09-2003, 06:12 PM
How are Zelda and Final Fantasy not role playing games

Zelda has never been an RPG. It's an adevnture game. There is no character creation or role-playing, everyone is the same character. There isn't even leveling up. The FF series is just like what I said for zelda, only there is leveling up, which does not make an RPG.