PDA

View Full Version : Looking good for Xbox

darianX
12-23-2002, 12:23 PM
This is from IGN dated Dec 20:

Xbox executives can pop a bottle of champagne. Apparently, people are diggin' the Xbox. The proof doesn't come from some over-enthusiastic PR spin or anyone's personal numbers. All you need do is take a look at the numbers and you'll see that Xbox is in the midst of crushing the GameCube.
According to the NPD Group, one of the most respected market research firms in the industry, November marked the seventh consecutive month Xbox outsold GameCube in terms of hardware and has outsold GameCube in software in all thirteen months of its existence. Selling nearly 500,000 consoles in November, Xbox nearly doubled its sales numbers from October. Xbox consoles have edged GameCube by 20% in total sales, a considerable gap, especially when you look at the great first-party titles Nintendo has managed to release this year.

In November, Xbox saw it's second best month of software sales to date, with 2.4 million units selling. That's 10% more than the GameCube, but still far below the might of PS2. In terms of GameCube versus Xbox, though, Microsoft's console has sold 34% more software overall than GameCube. The Xbox also maintains the highest attach rate to date for a console that's thirteen months old, with 4.7 games per unit sold.

Further proof of Microsoft's growing dominance over GameCube comes when comparing the two bundle offers. Microsoft's Xbox bundle that comes with Sega GT 2002 and Jet Set Radio Future has outsold the GameCube Mario bundle by 335,000 units or 131%. However, it should be noted that the GameCube bundle is not nearly as widely available, which could contribute to the wide gap.

The GameCube is often saddled with ****-poor ports of multi-platform games and it shows in terms of sales. The Xbox has managed 58% greater third-party sales than GameCube according to Microsoft.

Though Microsoft has yet to come close to the PS2 in terms of installed base, the big MS can take comfort in knowing their online programs has bested PS2 from the get-go. Comparing their first month of sales, Xbox Live outsold PS2 Network Adapters by 14% and the three major Live titles (Ghost Recon, MechAssault, and Unreal Championship) sold over 300,000 copies combined in just the last half of November and managed an astounding attach rate of 80%.

With far bigger titles on the horizon for Microsoft next year and very few big franchises left in Nintendo's bag for 2003, it could be an even merrier X-Mas for Microsoft a year from now. Of course, we'll be back to let you know how this little ol' console war is turning out.

Cloud Strife
12-23-2002, 12:31 PM
I already saw this article awhile ago. I saw another one that said Xbox was doing well just about everywhere.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
12-24-2002, 06:17 PM
Coolness, thank for posting the article....Mmm..i try and keep up with this stuff but i guess i missed this one. Microsoft paid a heavy pricetag...with the pricecuts....and xbox live and i hope everything goes even better next year. Looks like the xbox is a major player in the console wars. 2003, is the make are break year for the gamecube....

addicted_2_xbox
12-25-2002, 12:17 AM
I read this article too. Thanks for posting it though! (I might have read it here earlier on and thought it was somewhere else!!!)

Xbox IS doing good all around, except for JAPAN! Xbox in Japan is doing REALLY bad. I believe that the two reasons why is because a lack of RPG's and the lack ads (<-not sure about that one).

PS2 is doing the best there cuz PS2 has a lot of RPG'S. Another reason might be anime. I'm not sure if PS2 has some anime-based games, but that seems to be really popular over there.

Gamecube is doing OK there cuz of the revamped classics like Zelda and Mario.

rockola
12-25-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by addicted_2_xbox

PS2 is doing the best there cuz PS2 has a lot of RPG'S. Another reason might be anime. I'm not sure if PS2 has some anime-based games, but that seems to be really popular over there.

Also because the PS2 is cheaper (or was) than a regular DVD player in japan. a LOT of ps2's in japan were bought for that reason only

BCan
12-26-2002, 10:16 PM
The XBOX lacks in Japan, until it gets more of the type of games that they like, the Anime style RPG's.......

Cloud Strife
12-27-2002, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by BCan
The XBOX lacks in Japan, until it gets more of the type of games that they like, the Anime style RPG's....... It's just that it needs. I needs several simulation games like Dating , Train, Bus, Cooking, etc. It also needs more popular Japanese game series to sell better.

It's hard to get these games when Japnanese companies don't want to develop on an American System until it can prove itself.