PDA

View Full Version : Which is the real RPG game

Cloud Strife
12-23-2002, 01:55 PM
I say Final Fantasy.:)

EHWfedPres
12-23-2002, 04:26 PM
A role playing game is a game where you play the role of your own character, can roam around and play your characters role. Any third person game where you have a character that the game developers made that is fixed in a lonear plotline is NOT an rpg. Period. There is no discussion. Its common logic, if you cant roleplay, its not an rpg.

Cloud Strife
12-23-2002, 07:06 PM
I started this topic because I knew you would have something to say EHWfedPres.:)

EHWfedPres
12-23-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
I started this topic because I knew you would have something to say EHWfedPres.:)

I always have something to say. :D

Cloud Strife
12-23-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres

I always have something to say. :D I can tell, but so do I. I am looking at setting up an AIM name, I just haven't decided what name I'm going to use yet. :)

EHWfedPres
12-23-2002, 07:30 PM
I can tell, but so do I. I am looking at setting up an AIM name, I just haven't decided what name I'm going to use yet. :)

Yeah, its kind of hard to get a point across without saying anything...but with all these idiots that like only one thing and hate everything else for no reason at all, its still hard. At least I have played games from all three consoles and i can say what games I like and which I dont.

Cloud Strife
12-23-2002, 07:58 PM

Yeah, its kind of hard to get a point across without saying anything...but with all these idiots that like only one thing and hate everything else for no reason at all, its still hard. At least I have played games from all three consoles and i can say what games I like and which I dont. I've played several games across all three platforms. Mainly the well-known titles. What did you think of Luiji's Mansion on Gamecube because I'm curious of what you thought of it?

EHWfedPres
12-23-2002, 08:01 PM
I've played several games across all three platforms. Mainly the well-known titles. What did you think of Luiji's Mansion on Gamecube because I'm curious of what you thought of it?

I havent played Luigi's Mansion, I only played the games that my friend has and ones at the consoles at Best Buy...I did play most of the big name titles like Mario Sunshine (at Best Buy), Super Smash Bro's Melee (at Best Buy and my friend has it), Resident Evil (friend), and a few more...

now that I come to think of it, i think my friend does have Luigi's Mansion, but Im not sure...ill have to ask him...

Cloud Strife
12-23-2002, 08:05 PM

I havent played Luigi's Mansion, I only played the games that my friend has and ones at the consoles at Best Buy...I did play most of the big name titles like Mario Sunshine (at Best Buy), Super Smash Bro's Melee (at Best Buy and my friend has it), Resident Evil (friend), and a few more...

now that I come to think of it, i think my friend does have Luigi's Mansion, but Im not sure...ill have to ask him... I played all the games you've played. I personally feel Mario Sunshine is one of the worst Mario games made. Not really a bad game but a disgrace to Mario. I wanted to know about Luiji's Mansion because I thought it was one of the worst games ever. Boring, Boring, Boring.

SlightlySycho
12-23-2002, 09:07 PM
A role playing game is a game where you play the role of your own character, can roam around and play your characters role. Any third person game where you have a character that the game developers made that is fixed in a lonear plotline is NOT an rpg. Period. There is no discussion. Its common logic, if you cant roleplay, its not an rpg. What about games like Crono Trigger and Secret of Mana where you are given a character a basically allowed to develop his personality through in-game actions?

The American games are probably "truer" to the RPG spirit, but I think both styles can be defined as Role Playing Games. Japanese RPGs mearly give you the role to play.

TheCovenant
12-27-2002, 09:39 PM

Yeah, its kind of hard to get a point across without saying anything...but with all these idiots that like only one thing and hate everything else for no reason at all, its still hard. At least I have played games from all three consoles and i can say what games I like and which I dont.

how can you say that when you only like pc(american) rpg's?

you contradict yourself well, ehwfedpres......

EHWfedPres
12-29-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by TheCovenant

how can you say that when you only like pc(american) rpg's?

you contradict yourself well, ehwfedpres......

what the hell are you talking about? try making a logical statement with factual evidence and then i might understand what you are talking about...when have I contradicted myself?

I never said I only like american or pc rpg's...if a jap company makes a good open-ended rpg, then i might like it...but the odds of that happening are 219038902184789324908392058904 to 0, so who cares...

TheCovenant
12-30-2002, 05:22 AM
well with those odds, then you have contradicted yourself.

you do know math right?

factual evidence.

are you dumb? just look back a few posts, or perhaps in the "2003:year of the rpg " thread.

you glorify american rpg's and hate japanese rpg's. so you only like american rpg's, and hate everything else.

just like the idiots , you claim we are.

thus, you contradicted yourself.

not only that, my 7 year old niece was the one that stated you contradicted yourself. if she can figure it out, why cant you?

EHWfedPres
12-30-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by TheCovenant
well with those odds, then you have contradicted yourself.

you do know math right?

factual evidence.

are you dumb? just look back a few posts, or perhaps in the "2003:year of the rpg " thread.

you glorify american rpg's and hate japanese rpg's. so you only like american rpg's, and hate everything else.

just like the idiots , you claim we are.

thus, you contradicted yourself.

not only that, my 7 year old niece was the one that stated you contradicted yourself. if she can figure it out, why cant you?

Ok, after reading that, I firmly believe that you have no arguement what so ever. Why do I even try to have a friendly discussion with a person that has the intelligence of a 7 year old?

Now, show me EXACTLY where I have contradicted myself? But wait, before you do that...

http://www.dictionary.com
you might want to look up the word first because judging from your previous posts, you obviously have no clue what the hell it means, so, being the nice compassionate human being that I am, i'll even look it up for you...

con·tra·dict ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kntr-dkt)
v. con·tra·dict·ed, con·tra·dict·ing, con·tra·dicts
v. tr.
To assert or express the opposite of (a statement).
To deny the statement of. See Synonyms at deny.
To be contrary to; be inconsistent with

There you go. the meaning of the word contradict...so where does that apply to any statements that I have made? Surely all my replies have been consistant and I have not said one thing and then the opposite...I say that I like REAL rpg's, you know, ROLE PLAYING GAMES, games in which you can role-play in...no, actually, you dont know. Go to a role-playing forum and ask anyone the meaning of the phrase "role-playing" and then TRY to apply that to third person action/adventure video games, and then come back here when you fail. until then, dont waste any more of my time.

TheCovenant
12-30-2002, 06:54 PM

Ok, after reading that, I firmly believe that you have no arguement what so ever. Why do I even try to have a friendly discussion with a person that has the intelligence of a 7 year old?

Now, show me EXACTLY where I have contradicted myself? But wait, before you do that...

http://www.dictionary.com
you might want to look up the word first because judging from your previous posts, you obviously have no clue what the hell it means, so, being the nice compassionate human being that I am, i'll even look it up for you...

con·tra·dict ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kntr-dkt)
v. con·tra·dict·ed, con·tra·dict·ing, con·tra·dicts
v. tr.
To assert or express the opposite of (a statement).
To deny the statement of. See Synonyms at deny.
To be contrary to; be inconsistent with

There you go. the meaning of the word contradict...so where does that apply to any statements that I have made? Surely all my replies have been consistant and I have not said one thing and then the opposite...I say that I like REAL rpg's, you know, ROLE PLAYING GAMES, games in which you can role-play in...no, actually, you dont know. Go to a role-playing forum and ask anyone the meaning of the phrase "role-playing" and then TRY to apply that to third person action/adventure video games, and then come back here when you fail. until then, dont waste any more of my time.

that statement right there, the refusal to like any rpg's but american, which i have already proved you wrong in, and then you say you hate idiots who only like one thing. like you. you say you hate linear rpg's but love american rpg's.

so you hate yourself? because i was assuming that you do not hate yourself, otherwise you would be contradicting yourself.

just because you have a weird notion of what a real rpg is, doesnt mean it has any affect on anyone. so you can keep arguing, on the grounds that you think you know something, but do not, or face reality, and realize your contradiction.

Koopa
12-31-2002, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by SlightlySycho
What about games like Crono Trigger and Secret of Mana where you are given a character a basically allowed to develop his personality through in-game actions?

The American games are probably "truer" to the RPG spirit, but I think both styles can be defined as Role Playing Games. Japanese RPGs mearly give you the role to play.

i have to agree here...some RPGs just give you alot less freedom, but the japanese rpgs sycho mentioned DO have some level of role-playing, more so than the RPG elements in some fighters and sports games, etc, but much less than in epics like morrowind and the soon-to-be-epic fable

TheCovenant
12-31-2002, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by Koopa

i have to agree here...some RPGs just give you alot less freedom, but the japanese rpgs sycho mentioned DO have some level of role-playing, more so than the RPG elements in some fighters and sports games, etc, but much less than in epics like morrowind and the soon-to-be-epic fable

yes.

spike spiegel
12-31-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by SlightlySycho
What about games like Crono Trigger and Secret of Mana where you are given a character a basically allowed to develop his personality through in-game actions?

I agree that they are both totally different types of rpgs, but they are both rpgs.

The american ones tend to give you an identity to play with as you wish, were as the Japanese ones tend to give you a role such as would be given to an actor, were you can't change the script as much, but you are still playing the role of someone.

TheCovenant
12-31-2002, 08:28 PM
yes.

there are linear rpg's, and non-linear rpg's.

notice, both are RPG'S!

Codemaster211
01-01-2003, 05:58 PM
Technically all games are RPG's conisider in every game you are put into the roll of someone else's "life"

What most people consider RPG's are game with either a heavy basis on story(most japanese games) or a large level of open endness(most american rpgs)

Also most rpg's are based in either futuristic or midivil(the one people think of the most) time periods.

To argue of which is the real rpg is pretty pointless, since it's a rather large catagory.

[b] if a jap company makes a good open-ended rpg, then i might like it...but the odds of that happening are 219038902184789324908392058904 to 0, so who cares...[b/]

EHWfedPres by your definition Final Fantasy 11 would be an rpg since it completly open ended(being the fact that it is a MMORPG)
And could you not use the word jap when you talk, I know it is short for Japanese, but it is a rather offense word and some japanese people that visit the board could be offended, plus you don't want people to think your a racist;).

Laters,

TheCovenant
01-01-2003, 06:22 PM
Technically all games are RPG's conisider in every game you are put into the roll of someone else's "life"

argh. don't EEEEven start that again.......................

Codemaster211
01-01-2003, 08:05 PM
LOL tis true though :P

TheCovenant
01-02-2003, 04:03 AM
my idiot cousin came over today and said that he wanted to play final fantasy 11 over fable.

he says he isnt biased, but damn!

isnt that the most biased remark or what?

tenchi
01-03-2003, 12:15 PM
Check to see if your cousin might be smokin somethin. I like the RPG's of the final fantasy type more personally but i still loved morrowind it was the most freeverse game i had ever played and i will always love that freedom but i do not miss it when i go to square.They make thier characters so lovable and most of the stories are so ....so....so damn lovable man that aries death nearly made me cry.

Im very a sensitive guy.

EHWfedPres
01-03-2003, 01:37 PM
Fable will make all other rpg's beforehand look like crap...and the action/adventure games like final fantasy...make them look like more crap than they already are.

tenchi
01-03-2003, 01:56 PM
i will let you say what you say what you will your opinion is invalid and a waste of my time. I know and so many people know that they are rpg's and dam good ones at that.I realize that you are insecure about the xbox and must insult all of its competition but dont worry it will rule with its coming games.

EHWfedPres
01-03-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by tenchi
I realize that you are insecure about the xbox and must insult all of its competition

Im not insecure about anything, I just dont like Final Fantasy gamea and im going to say so, got a problem with that?

tenchi
01-04-2003, 12:05 AM
no i dont you r just one stupid fool for not liking the stories and lovable characters

EHWfedPres
01-04-2003, 11:28 AM
no i dont you r just one stupid fool for not liking the stories and lovable characters

I dont care what you think, I have an opinion also and mine is that Final Fantasy sucks, I dont know where you come off thinking your opinion is an absolute fact, that every FF story is great and that the characters are good...thats called an opinion buddy...:o

tenchi
01-04-2003, 12:05 PM
I do not think that all of the stories are good first of all nine was the worst oneof the newest generation and 10 was only ok. Yes i know its an opinion, supported by many, many, many people.

preetz16
01-04-2003, 09:29 PM
Fable will make all other rpg's beforehand look like crap...and the action/adventure games like final fantasy...make them look like more crap than they already are.

Woah, wait...don't i recall you saying something in a previous thread about how you were only going to refer to it as Project Ego, not Fable? (I think it was because Fable sounded too much like a "***" Gamecube game)

Also, the thing about the odds of you liking a "jap" made game make absolutely no sense. In mathematics, when you express odds you state the number of successes in relation to number of failures. (Ex: If I flip a coin (evenly balanced, negelecting air currents) I have 1:1 odds of it landing heads; 1 success vs 1 failure) So by your definition you will love the next RPG to be made in Japan...There's a 0% chance that you won't.

I dont care what you think, I have an opinion also and mine is that Final Fantasy sucks, I dont know where you come off thinking your opinion is an absolute fact, that every FF story is great and that the characters are good...thats called an opinion buddy...

Oh, so there's these things called opinions are there? That's interesting... Seems to me that saying Final Fantasy isn't an RPG would be an opinion (a very unsupported one at that). So why is FF not an RPG? Because you say so? "Where you come off thinking your opinion is an absolute fact?"

I'm really glad you said this because you admit that genre classification is done so based upon popular opinion. So I wish you would do me a favor; go to a credible RPG forum and ask the following question: "Are the Final Fantasy games RPGs?" You might be surprised with the response you get...We won't be.

[The contridiction argument.]

I see your def, but you have to realize that you indirectly contridict yourself. While trying to support certain points you take out others with the precedents you set.

Im not insecure about anything, I just dont like Final Fantasy gamea and im going to say so, got a problem with that?

Yeah, I have a problem, let's f*cking fight. Fight me like a man. Oh wait, this is the internet, not reality. Come on, aren't we above that...maybe not. Plus you'd have to be very insecure to engage in physical violence over something as trivial as a video game classification debate.

On top of this cross-apply all of TheCovenant's posts. And the racism argument, that's by far the most disturbing thing in this thread. I'd go off on it but I don't think you all want to read page after page of how language frames our reality.

Just a note for you...You would have much better, meaningful discussions if you weren't such an assh*le to everyone all the time.

I think it's very ironic that you call alll of us idiots...

EHWfedPres
01-06-2003, 04:07 PM
Wow...all that for nothing. :)

spike spiegel
01-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Wow...all that for nothing. :)

What is that your idea of a comeback?

tenchi
01-06-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by spike spiegel

What is that your idea of a comeback?

I thought of it was very fact filled information.

EHWfedPres
01-07-2003, 12:01 PM

I thought of it was very fact filled information.

It dosent matter what you think...the post was directed towards me and I dont think it means jack spit...so he typed all the for nothing. :p

tenchi
01-07-2003, 01:41 PM
as you are correct it was directed to you but others will come in and say what they have to say and an opinion is an opinion if you live in afghanistan and are not entitled to one than thats your problem but here in america i can say what i feel like dont have a cow man.
HALO2 IS GOD!!!!!!

spike spiegel
01-07-2003, 02:59 PM
as you are correct it was directed to you but others will come in and say what they have to say and an opinion is an opinion if you live in afghanistan and are not entitled to one than thats your problem but here in america i can say what i feel like dont have a cow man.
HALO2 IS GOD!!!!!!

:)

MerimacHamwich
01-08-2003, 12:27 AM
Technically they are both RpG's becuase you are taking on the role of a character and playing throught the game as him/her/it. I prefer "western" RPG's though.

EHWfedPres
01-08-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Technically they are both RpG's becuase you are taking on the role of a character

You just explained every video game ever made...except tetris, but oh well. Thats not right...because Mario and Metroid and Wreckless are not rpg's...yet you take on the role of a character. :o

Cloud Strife
01-08-2003, 04:49 PM
Technically they are both RpG's becuase you are taking on the role of a character and playing throught the game as him/her/it. I prefer "western" RPG's though. I agree they have RPG in tem however. Japanese RPG's are the real RPG games. You upgrade weapons, sell them, control a young hero.

Qbas
01-08-2003, 08:15 PM
How many of you people have played REAL Pen & Paper roleplaying games? IMO Console/PC RPG's don't match with the real thing ;)

tenchi
01-08-2003, 09:28 PM
i have it was cool we used a deck of cards to determine the damge and stuff. I played it when i was like 9 though long time ago.

taylormanazn
01-08-2003, 11:08 PM
after playing morrowind I'd have to alter my definition of RPG as well I think...
don't get me wrong...I love the turn-based Japanese RPGS of the past....Chrono Trigger bein my favorite

but playing chrono trigger I am reading a book....yeah I get into it and play the set role of the main character and eventually get one of the 10 endings...

but in morrowind, man, you can do just about whatever you want, and that is mind blowing!

my .02

tenchi
01-09-2003, 01:41 PM
I getcha and i agree it is harder to get into an rpg when you read and sh*t and chrono Trigger was my favorite to but i still have to enjoy the readin games. Hey i have some readin in my life.

EHWfedPres
01-09-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Qbas
How many of you people have played REAL Pen & Paper roleplaying games? IMO Console/PC RPG's don't match with the real thing ;)

I played Dungeons and Dragons several times, and I think that PC rpg's come close to recreating the freedom that you need in order to play YOUR characters role. Games that give you the character to play with are nothing more than fantasy action/adventure games.

Qbas
01-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Pen & Paper RPG may not seem "good" but it has the best atmosphere playing with other people and interacting with others and GM playing as the NPC's and telling events that is occuring...In those Pen & Paper RPG's you have the FULL freedom to do everything.

EHWfedPres
01-09-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Qbas
Pen & Paper RPG may not seem "good" but it has the best atmosphere playing with other people and interacting with others and GM playing as the NPC's and telling events that is occuring...In those Pen & Paper RPG's you have the FULL freedom to do everything.

Exactly. Those are the original rpg's, and a game thats completely different has no right to be called an rpg.

MerimacHamwich
01-11-2003, 03:25 PM
I have played DnD. Still do.

EHW, RPG = Role Playing Game.
Thus any game where you take on the role of another person is an RPG.

Cloud Strife
01-19-2003, 12:19 PM

Thus any game where you take on the role of another person is an RPG. I don't consider Blinx to be an RPG games and I take on the role of Blinx.:confused:

Orta_01
01-27-2003, 10:26 AM
Hello ! I love Rpg games like final Fantasy and Lunar and I like the new generation coming out like morrowwind and Balder's Gate. These games are taking the action to a new level. I didn't care for the original battle modes but with Balder's Gate you get to see what it looks like to have a hoard of orcs coming at you with no end in site. I know this is not new in the pc world but for console gaming it is becomong a new trend. :)

Anyway I'd Like to see more RPgs for the xbox that 's one of the reasons I got it. Ps2 has been inundated with games that are better suited to the xbox. i think it's time Xbox was given the credit it deserves.:rolleyes:

just some guy
01-27-2003, 12:43 PM
haha, i've never seen people get so mad over video games before.

"It is an rpg, it isn't an rpg, it is an rpg, it isn't an rpg..."

Whatever they are their still video games. If you like it play it, if you don't like it, don't play it. With the type of arguements people have in this thread you could say every game is an rpg or separate every game in to a million different categories. Everyone has their opinion and so far none seem all that convincing. So where is it going... nowhere. If your happy with how you classify a game then just leave it at that. No need to get at each others throats about it. haha geez guys. Thanks for an entertaining thread though.:D

Oh, and just to clarify this is not directed at anyone in particular so please, no one take offence to this.

DreamShifter
01-28-2003, 03:23 AM
i will let you say what you say what you will your opinion is invalid and a waste of my time. I know and so many people know that they are rpg's and dam good ones at that.I realize that you are insecure about the xbox and must insult all of its competition but dont worry it will rule with its coming games.

Not to stir up any hard feelings or arguments again, but Your opinion is invalid?!?!?! WTF??? How can an opinion be invalid? An opinion is just that, an opinion, not a fact. If it were a fact, and proved untrue, then yes, it would be considered invalid, but it's an opinion. And being insecure about the xbox, I don't think anyone on here is really insecure about the xbox, we all love it, i own the PS2 as well, I play games on both, buy games for both, and will be buying a GC before too long. Only because of the vast variety of games between all 3 consoles. Too say an opinion is invalid, that's an opinion, but idiotic just the same. EHW makes good points in what he posts, the Western RPG's are more superior (my opinion) than the Japanese RPG's. The open endedness is the way to go, but that didn't stop me from playing FFX. Loved that game too. I'm generally pretty quiet, and browse for the most part, and post every now and again, as seen by the massive post count that I have, (I think this one makes 25), but every now and again, I'll see something that just gets me going, and I have to express my opinion. Both games are RPG's, which is better, well, to each his own opinion, but to berate others on their opinions and call them invalid or such, that's just stupid. Shut up, play your game, and have fun. If you're not having fun, what's the purpose then? Just my 2 cents.

EHWfedPres
01-28-2003, 08:07 PM

Thus any game where you take on the role of another person is an RPG.

So by that logic...every single game ever made with the exception of Tetris...is an rpg.

See, thats not the case, so the rpg genre needs something to set itself apart from every other game except tetris...

and RPG is a game that gives you the freedom of taking the role of a character you create, and you get to develop that character and his personality and etc etc...

Japaneese rpg's are just action/adventure games. Just because stupid japanese people call them rpg's does not mean they really are.

Cloud Strife
01-28-2003, 08:17 PM
So by that logic...every single game ever made with the exception of Tetris...is an rpg.

See, thats not the case, so the rpg genre needs something to set itself apart from every other game except tetris...

and RPG is a game that gives you the freedom of taking the role of a character you create, and you get to develop that character and his personality and etc etc...

Japaneese rpg's are just action/adventure games. Just because stupid japanese people call them rpg's does not mean they really are. Japanese RPG games are real RPG games. I was just playing Final Fantasy X not to long ago. I'm not going to say it again because I already explained how Final Fantasy is the real RPG game. Final Fantasy is also the best videogame series ever created. Final Fantasy is an RPG because you have to level up your character, upgrade weapons, use summon spells, and have a deep storyline. If a game is going to be considered a real RPG game, it has to have a deep storyline with several plot twist. Morrowind is full of boring repitative gameplay on an action title. A real RPG game has no real time fighting unless there is a small battlefield.

Final Fantasy, Lunar, Suikoden, Xenogears, Star Ocean, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire, Lufia, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Vandal Hearts, Arc The Lad, Dragon Warrior, Wild Arms, Tales of Destiny, Albert Odyssey, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia, Legend of Dragoon, Time Stalkers, Shining the Holy Ark, etc. are all great, true RPG games in everyway. Baldurs Gate, Morrowind, Sea Dogs, etc. ain't RPG games.

Final Fantasy is the true definition in this day of age as an RPG.;)

DreamShifter
01-29-2003, 01:30 AM
They're both RPG's. BR, you're an anime freak, you know alot about Japanese RPGs, I'll give you that, but if I'm not mistaken, in Baldur's Gate, you start out playing the hero, sure you get to choose which hero, but you start out as one just the same. You start out with low HP, and build as you progress in Levels. You can also improve your weapons, been awhile since I played, but I believe that you still get to do that anyway, therefore by all rights and standards, Baldurs Gate is a RPG. Morrowind follows suit, you just have freedom to get to the final goal without following a set story (Final Fantasy). I am a fan of Final Fantasy, but if anything qualifies as a Fantasy Action/Adventure game, it would be final fantasy. With morrowind, you choose what kind of character you are, what sign you follow, you have HP and MP, you upgrade your weapons, you steal, you heal, you use potions, etc........How can you say these aren't just because they don't follow your beloved Japanese style way of RPGs?????

Cloud Strife
01-29-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by DreamShifter
They're both RPG's. BR, you're an anime freak, you know alot about Japanese RPGs, I'll give you that, but if I'm not mistaken, in Baldur's Gate, you start out playing the hero, sure you get to choose which hero, but you start out as one just the same. You start out with low HP, and build as you progress in Levels. You can also improve your weapons, been awhile since I played, but I believe that you still get to do that anyway, therefore by all rights and standards, Baldurs Gate is a RPG. Morrowind follows suit, you just have freedom to get to the final goal without following a set story (Final Fantasy). I am a fan of Final Fantasy, but if anything qualifies as a Fantasy Action/Adventure game, it would be final fantasy. With morrowind, you choose what kind of character you are, what sign you follow, you have HP and MP, you upgrade your weapons, you steal, you heal, you use potions, etc........How can you say these aren't just because they don't follow your beloved Japanese style way of RPGs????? That's not what 90% of the market says. Final Fantasy was one of the first console RPG games. That is why it gets the RPG title because it's been there longer. Everyone I know says Final Fantasy is a real RPG game although they hate anime.

DreamShifter
01-29-2003, 06:32 AM
BR, if you would read back to my previous post, I already said both games are RPGs. I never said Final Fantasy wasn't one, all I said is that between Morrowind/Baldurs Gate and Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy would be the one that would be considered a Fantasy Action/Adventure game. I already said I am a fan of both games, so i'm not putting your beloved FF series down, I'm just stating my own opinion.

Also, in another thread, you yourself said that Baldurs Gate is like a D&D RPG, so you called it a RPG yourself, and now you're contradicting yourself?????? Here's the link...
http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31618

just some guy
01-29-2003, 08:49 AM
haha, oh my god this is the most ridiculous arguement i've ever read! All the games your mentioning are rpgs! In one form or another. Just about every video game site i've been to considers Morrowind, Final Fantasy and everything in between rpgs. Some are more open ended and some are more linear. Theres no such thing as a "real rpg" their just rpgs. That doesn't mean every game other than tetris is an rpg. Sure in a game like halo you get to play the role of master chief, but it's not an rpg because you don't have the option of making modifications or have the freedom to explore and possibly change the course of the game. But hey thats just my opinion, or is it a fact? who knows who cares. For me that makes the most logical sense. I think for people to keep argueing about whether or not their comments are just opinions or facts and that this isn't an rpg and this is is absurd. If you guys want to keep argueing this go ahead because it is funny to read but i do find it interesting that the professionals in the industry, meaning developers, producers, and magazines consider all the games being argued over rpgs. Or atleast from what i've seen. There may be some difference some where amongst the pro's but my statement is based on the majority of what i've seen.

EHWfedPres
01-29-2003, 12:13 PM
Final Fantasy is an RPG because you have to level up your character, upgrade weapons, use summon spells, and have a deep storyline.

That has nothing to do with an rpg. Thats liks saying Madden is a football game because you play with a ball, pass and run with it, and score points...too vague. You can do all that in basketball games also.

The whole reason why rpg's were created is to create your own character and play that characters role however you want. Freedom. Just because some jap says that final fantasy is an rpg, you dont have to believe him. They are wrong, and so are you.

Cloud Strife
01-29-2003, 12:43 PM
That has nothing to do with an rpg. Thats liks saying Madden is a football game because you play with a ball, pass and run with it, and score points...too vague. You can do all that in basketball games also.

The whole reason why rpg's were created is to create your own character and play that characters role however you want. Freedom. Just because some jap says that final fantasy is an rpg, you dont have to believe him. They are wrong, and so are you. That is a very harsh way to call a Japanese person. Give them some respect because I'm a part of their culture.:D The first RPG's to consoles were Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, and Dragon Warrior; therefore, their RPG games. A game is not an RPG with a customized character. The character is suppost to be set. Plus, an RPG game is not suppossed to be realistic in anyway. It has to be fantasy.

DreamShifter
01-29-2003, 02:42 PM
A game is not an RPG with a customized character. The character is suppost to be set. Plus, an RPG game is not suppossed to be realistic in anyway. It has to be fantasy.

So, D&D wasn't an RPG? And Morrowind and Baldurs Gate are realistic???? What kind of fantasy world do you live in?

EHWfedPres
01-29-2003, 03:38 PM
The first RPG's to consoles were Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, and Dragon Warrior; therefore, their RPG games. A game is not an RPG with a customized character. The character is suppost to be set. Plus, an RPG game is not suppossed to be realistic in anyway. It has to be fantasy.

Who cares about console rpg's...what about the REAL rpg's, the pen and paper games that started the whole thing? The reason people played those games was to create a character and play their role in a fantasy world.

Final Fantasy games are nothing more than fantasy action/adventure games. Thats the solid truth.

Arrix
01-29-2003, 04:55 PM
Again im siding with EHWfedPres on this one. Also why does the plot have to be deep to be a rpg, the plot has nothing to do if its a rpg or not its how the game is played.

TheCovenant
02-03-2003, 08:22 PM
cant belive this thread is still going, and as sure as dawson has a creek, arrix posted in here, and he is agreeing with ehwfedpres..........
*shivers*

both are rpg's. why does that bother youso much? fine western rpg's are better. WHATEVER! but they are both rpg's!

whats wrong ehwfedpres? will your life end if japanese rpgs are considered rpg's too?

just shut up, and admit it! in fact you dont even have to admit it......go on beliving whatever you want, just stop arguing, this is the stupidest thread ever, and it gets dumber everytime you post (ehwfedpres)