PDA

View Full Version : MGS 2 Substance or Splinter Cell, which is better

Cloud Strife
12-24-2002, 12:28 PM
I think MGS 2 is better because it has a lot of cutscenes and a great storyline. The game is also more violent.:D

Dark Enemy
12-24-2002, 12:42 PM
STealth in splinter cell is better by a long shot, but action in MGS is alot. MGS story thing annoyed me because i would sit there watching them talk i returned it before gr launch and got gr and im proud i did that.:cool:

PhantomX
12-24-2002, 12:55 PM
they are 2 very different games. I like Splinter Cell alot better. i thought the story line in MGS was to much. I have only rented MGS so maybe I didnt give it enough time but I have realy liked SC from day 1. Just my opinion.

Unreal
12-24-2002, 01:51 PM
I think Splinter Cell is better as well. From the lighting which helps with the stealth alot, to the sound which is used just as much as the lighting. I am on my second time beating Splinter Cell now and I am not growing tired of the game. Metal Gear Solid is not a bad game, it just does not compete with Splinter Cell on the same level. People say the games are completely different to compare the 2. I do not think so. Before Splinter Cell came out, MGS was the stealth game to beat. Now that Splinter Cell is out, MGS is an action game. You can not change the genre name to suit your opinion. Splinter Cell just out right beats Metal Gear in the stealth department, hands down. Add into SC's corner, controllable camera, more gadgets, better story (IMO), better lighting, semi non linear levels, better graphics and you can see why its a better game. Like I said, MGS2 is not a bad game. But now that Splinter Cell is out, we have a new stealth champion.

Splinter Cell :D

Cloud Strife
12-24-2002, 01:56 PM
I do think Splinter Cell is a great game also. I haven't had the chance to play that game for a while. I love how the stealth is done in SC and the lighting is amazing.

I still give the edge to MGS 2 Substance because I like the Japanese style games with lots of story, cutscenes, and emotional gameplay. Anyway, I would never rate a Konami game bad because I feel there one the best developers.;)

Unreal
12-24-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
Anyway, I would never rate a Konami game bad because I feel there one the best developers.;)
I guess I will let it go then ;)

P.S. I guess if you can get both games then do so and you won't have to worry about it.

MerimacHamwich
12-24-2002, 01:59 PM
I absolutely hate Japanese style games. They are so predictable and boring. Konami is one of the worst developers in my opinion.

Cloud Strife
12-24-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
I absolutely hate Japanese style games. They are so predictable and boring. Konami is one of the worst developers in my opinion. So you think Dance Dance Revolution, Castlevania, Contra, Zone of the Enders, Suikoden, Air Force Delta, Silent Hill, and Tiny Toons are bad. I liked all of them.:)

MerimacHamwich
12-24-2002, 02:17 PM
I didn't like any of them.

Cloud Strife
12-24-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Unreal

I guess I will let it go then ;)

P.S. I guess if you can get both games then do so and you won't have to worry about it. Yeah, I seem to like just about anything. I'll buy both games since I've finished my Sega purcahses this year.:)

Liquid Gears
12-24-2002, 05:44 PM
They're even......Dead Even

No Fear 23
12-24-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears
They're even......Dead Even

i wouldnt say so

Liquid Gears
12-24-2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by irule23

i wouldnt say so

Just buy them both. They're the 2 number one games to come out this year.

addicted_2_xbox
12-25-2002, 12:31 AM
I haven't played Substance, but I played the normal MGS2 on PS2, and I think that they're different forms of stealth games.

In MGS2, you HAVE TO be stealthy (from what I remember). Its also a good game cuz of some of the stuff it has (like doing pull-ups to strengthen your arms, that little box you can hide in, and you've gotta love that noise it makes when you get discovered, ya know, the BRING!) The AI is also really smart in MGS2.

In Splinter Cell, you can either sneak around all the guards (by shooting out all of the lights), you can knock them all out (by sneaking up behind them), you can do what I did and shoot them all!, or you can do a little bit of everything. SC has more of a living environment, theres more stuff to do. The lighting also changed the game ENTIRELY. Also, SC has downloadable levels, so after you beat it, theres still more to do.

Thats my opinion, I'm probably gonna buy MGS2:substance soon, but I don't like games that you beat once, then let them collect dust on the counter!

Bigwig
12-25-2002, 10:04 AM
I liked the Japanses story spin in every MG game except the last one. Too much fluff and fake honor.

TegSkywalker
12-25-2002, 10:26 AM
I prefer Metal Gear Solid 2.

It has more action, is more fun, and immerses you into the story more.

# 1 Stunner
12-25-2002, 06:18 PM
i like both ive played both and i decide its a draw...i have both of them.

oddworld20-3000
12-25-2002, 09:55 PM
I like Substance better. But I know Splinter Cell is going to get game of the year for xbox. But to me I would consider Substance game of the year. There both very good games.

Cloud Strife
12-26-2002, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by oddworld20-3000
I like Substance better. But I know Splinter Cell is going to get game of the year for xbox. But to me I would consider Substance game of the year. There both very good games. That's pretty much what I think.:) MGS 2 Substance just seems to have more polish in the gameplay.

tenchi
12-27-2002, 01:58 PM
I think that if your looking for more replay go with substance if your looking for a good run first experience go with splinter cell.

Cloud Strife
12-27-2002, 03:46 PM
I played more of Substance today and I think I'll buy it over Splinter Cell. The only Xbox games I'll be buying for a while are Japanese ones like PD Orta, Crimson Sea, MGS2 Substance, DOAX, Phantom Crash, and Kakuto Chojin.

# 1 Stunner
12-27-2002, 04:28 PM
it depends on the kind u like,like in splinter cell its more bout stealth but in metal gear u get to use stealth but also u get more into the fighting and stuff overall i like spllinter cell more..

MerimacHamwich
12-27-2002, 05:10 PM
I can't see how people like MGS2 better. Splinter Cell has more replay value, deeper gameplay, better graphics, better controls just plain better everything.

If you say you cannot compare these two titles, then you cannot compare any game with any other game ever made. These two are of the same genre and style. They are completely comparable. MGS2 was is and will always be about the stealth. The same goes for Splinter Cell.

Cloud Strife
12-27-2002, 05:28 PM
I can't see how people like MGS2 better. Splinter Cell has more replay value, deeper gameplay, better graphics, better controls just plain better everything.

If you say you cannot compare these two titles, then you cannot compare any game with any other game ever made. These two are of the same genre and style. They are completely comparable. MGS2 was is and will always be about the stealth. The same goes for Splinter Cell. I tell you why I like MGS 2 better.
1. It has a much better story
2. Great Characters
3. Great cutscenes and ery clean graphics
4. Easier to get into
5. fixed camera angle
6. Best production quality of all time other than FFX
7. The game has the Japanese feel I like
8. Better controls
9. A lot more to the game
10. Hideo Kojima and Konami are great

Overall, MGS 2 Substace is one of my favorite Xbox games.;) I like it almost as much as Zone of the Enders.

MerimacHamwich
12-27-2002, 05:34 PM
I couldn't disagree with you more on all of the things you said.

Cloud Strife
12-27-2002, 05:40 PM
I couldn't disagree with you more on all of the things you said. Raiden and Solid Snake are much cooler than Sam Fisher. That's what I think, don't you?

I really like Raiden in the game. I like games where the main character is a young person like a lot of Japanese RPG's are like.

MerimacHamwich
12-27-2002, 05:57 PM
And a 35 year old isn't satisfactory? I really don't care how old the person is. Personally I think raiden is a girl with a sex change or else he is g to the ay. Some of the outfits really make a person wonder whats wrong with the developers. Solid Snake is pretty cool but he has a friggin' mullet. The mullet doesn't make me not like him but once again, whats wrong with the developers.

I HATE JAPANESE RPG's. They are incredibly boring.

I won't go into any more detail. I think saying what I have said before is satisfactory. I couldn't disagree with Bruning Ranger more.

Cloud Strife
12-27-2002, 06:02 PM
And a 35 year old isn't satisfactory? I really don't care how old the person is. Personally I think raiden is a girl with a sex change or else he is g to the ay. Some of the outfits really make a person wonder whats wrong with the developers. Solid Snake is pretty cool but he has a friggin' mullet. The mullet doesn't make me not like him but once again, whats wrong with the developers.

I HATE JAPANESE RPG's. They are incredibly boring.

I won't go into any more detail. I think saying what I have said before is satisfactory. I couldn't disagree with Bruning Ranger more. Yeah, I know you hate that stuff. I just know if I started talking about the games I like you would have something to say.

I say this, Xbox needs a music game like Parappa The Rapper and Samba De Amigo because those games rule.;)