PDA

View Full Version : Issue with my Xbox

corley
12-28-2002, 12:22 PM
I have been having an issue with my xbox. I called Xbox tech support and they werent much help, and they seemed to think it was a bad DVDdrive, however for some reason I don't think it is. I would like to get some people on this board's opinion.

I got two new games two days ago: Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid 2. Unfortunately though the issue I am having with my xbox is preventing me from enjoying these games. Whenever I play Splinter Cell, I can't even get through the training mission(first level) without it just locking up. And after about 10 minutes of playing Metal Gear Solid it happens as well. Happens also on HALO, College Football 2003, and Rally Sport racing.

What I was thinking was, it was an overheating issue. The back of the Xbox is pretty warm, but not so warm it worries me. I moved it to a more open location and put a fan on it and same results. What I was possibly thinking was maybe if there was a heatsink of the Intel Processor that their may be something wrong with it, but I was hoping maybe someone here who may have had the same problem can enlighten me. What makes me think it isn't a DVD drive issue is that I can play DVD movies perfectly. Any help would be appreciated. TIA

J Dub
12-28-2002, 12:29 PM
Is it a Dirty Disk Error?

You say there's an error, but what is the error?

corley
12-28-2002, 12:32 PM
i didnt say specifically it displayed an error. it simply locks up. TIA

J Dub
12-28-2002, 12:34 PM
Interesting. Microsoft has recently been replacing the DVD drives, even if your warranty is expired, so you might want to look into that.

MerimacHamwich
12-28-2002, 12:35 PM
You mean it freezes, and the image that is on the xcreen won't move or change at all?

Where did you point your fan?

nicklovesxbox
12-28-2002, 01:11 PM
It has happened to me once...It locked up while playing Tiger Woods Golf...it sucked, cause I was about to make a hole in one...:(

corley
12-28-2002, 01:27 PM
Where did you point your fan? - In the back of xbox, where the exit fan is

You mean it freezes, and the image that is on the xcreen won't move or change at all? The image stops, sometimes the music continues, however the image stops. Sometime the music repeats itself over and over and when I turn off the xbox and then back on, the intro goo xbox video thing locks up as well.

MerimacHamwich
12-28-2002, 01:32 PM
It jsut might be an overheating problem then. Pointing a fan directly at your xboxes fan will achieve the exact opposite of what you want to do, unless you want to heat it up. By pointing the fan at the xbox fan you are pushing the warm air back into the xbox. You are also counter-acting the motion of your xboxes fan so it will have to work harder, therfor generating even more heat. If you want to use a fan then point it at the top, bottom, front, or sides. It might not do much but it will help more than pointing it into the xboxes fan.

Cloud Strife
12-28-2002, 01:55 PM
I had to have my DVD drive replaced not too long ago. I bought my Xbox at launch, but I had several DDE. Probably because I played my Xbox 397 days in a row before I repaired it.

My streak of playing Xbox is now up to 410 days straight. While my Xbox was gone for three days, I played Xbox at EB and Best Buy.:)

corley
12-28-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
I had to have my DVD drive replaced not too long ago. I bought my Xbox at launch, but I had several DDE. Probably because I played my Xbox 397 days in a row before I repaired it.

My streak of playing Xbox is now up to 410 days straight. While my Xbox was gone for three days, I played Xbox at EB and Best Buy.:)

I know i was reading your topic about getting your xbox fixed. I am on the phone with MS right now seeeing what I can do.

corley
12-28-2002, 02:08 PM
sure is nice having MS not fully know what the problem is with your xbox and how to fix it.

first it was a bad dvd drive possibly
now its a possible corruption or scratch on the disk

next it probrably would be goblins or something

MerimacHamwich
12-28-2002, 03:12 PM
It probably is a system error or overheating. If it was the laser in the drive you would get a dde. My first launch xbox had a weak laser and it would give dirty disc errors quite often. So we brought it back and got a new one. My friends xbox also had a weak laser and he sent it to Microsoft, within 3 days he had a new one straight from the big M.

FuNkY mOnK
12-28-2002, 03:53 PM
maybe i missed it but did you see if the fan on the xbox is working? sounds like an overheating problem.

corley
12-28-2002, 03:54 PM
it is. i would feel quite stupid if it wasn't. :)