PDA

View Full Version : keyboard & mouse

scull
12-28-2002, 01:16 PM
hi all :)

will / When is there gunna b a kboard & mouse released for the xbox, theres a few games in the pipeline like Fable,CS & a few i have now that could really do with these periphials. any ideas anyone ..thx i advance :)

Xbox Owner
12-28-2002, 01:19 PM
..I thought there was one? Hm..look it up on Google, I'm too lazy.:o ;)

MerimacHamwich
12-28-2002, 01:29 PM
I have said it before in threads just like this and I will say it again. We don't need a keyboard and or mouse. They are uncomfortable peripherals made for the PC. A console is all about comfort and ease of play. A keyboard and mouse combo will achieve the exact opposite.

BTW, Fable would be horrible with a keyboard and mouse combo.

Xbox Owner
12-28-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
I have said it before in threads just like this and I will say it again. We don't need a keyboard and or mouse. They are uncomfortable peripherals made for the PC. A console is all about comfort and ease of play. A keyboard and mouse combo will achieve the exact opposite.

BTW, Fable would be horrible with a keyboard and mouse combo.

That is all your opinion, not a fact.:rolleyes:

MerimacHamwich
12-28-2002, 01:36 PM
Just think about it. They are developing Fable to work well with a controller. By introducing a mouse/keyboard intot he mix you will have to customize it to work with that.

Having a mouse/keyboard to use with games. You are sitting in your chair/couch. You either have them on your lap (how would the mouse work?) or on a table infornt of you. Either way yoiu end up hunching over the combo and your wrists end up getting carpol tunnel syndrome. Personally, that is why I don't play PC games that much. SO UNCOMFORTABLE! And a PC desk is the most comfortable and convenient way to set up a mouse/keyboard combo.

Cloud Strife
12-28-2002, 01:51 PM
A keyboard and mouse are useless. Xbox is a console, not a PC. If I want to use a keyboard and mouse, I'd play PC games. Since I don't play PC games, I only want controllers.:)

scull
12-28-2002, 02:02 PM
then they should give ppl the option, some games work better wit pad others with mouse & KB combo... i mean how do they expect ppl to play CS using a pad! LoL! :) & ppl keep saying saying that the xbox is a console (which i agree to!) but all of the insides of the xbox IS a pc :P a PC is a multimedia system. an XBOX is just a console. a keyboard & mouse wont make an xbox into a pc & those that think it would...solution: dont buy the kb & mouse combo ;)

btw: Posted by a member of staff at TeamXBox

"Believe the hype guys!

I can tell you that finally you'll be able to play HALO, Unreal Championship, DOOM III and any other FPS on the Xbox with a mouse and keyboard (tip: well, even better than a keyboard).
http://pub6.ezboard.com/fgamerszone64493frm15.showMessage?topicID=798.topic

not a keyboard & mouse as such..but better :D

MerimacHamwich
12-28-2002, 02:07 PM
How will you play counterstrike with a controller? Just like Halo, Unreal Championship, Turok, and every other first person shooter ever brought to a console.
There is a multitude of things in this world that can be classified as a computer. However, a PC or Personal Computer is a specific thing. It has to be along the same lines as what you used to type that message. there is no way you can call an xbox, playstation or nintendo product a PC. Sure, you can call it a computer, in fact, that is what it is, but it isn't a PC.

LynxFX
12-28-2002, 03:39 PM
I'm in the minority but I only have three words: ** Bring it on!

** A mouse and keypad. I don't need or want the entire keyboard, or even letters and numbers on it.

OuFtb
12-28-2002, 03:52 PM
If they so make a mouse and keyboard thats fine but I would stay with my controller, I like it alot better.

FuNkY mOnK
12-28-2002, 08:07 PM
if i had a mouse and keyboard i would have kept unreal championship and would have ruled the universe.

Kortiz
12-28-2002, 09:16 PM
what is the harm of a keyboard/mouse combo for a couple games?

just curious to what you guys think is soooo wrong with this?

Cloud Strife
12-28-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by ChickenSHHHH

just curious to what you guys think is soooo wrong with this? That would make the Xbox too much of a PC. My friends I had already made fun of me for owning an Xbox because it's like a PC while their Playstation 2's aren't. I say yeah right it's the other way around.;)

aragornsheir
12-28-2002, 09:48 PM
I can't see any use for a mouse on the XBox, although there might be some situations where a keyboard could be useful. Even then only as a peripheral, never to actually replace a controller. They are mostly good for communication, but the headset bundled with an XBox Live Kit takes care of that.

MerimacHamwich
12-28-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
That would make the Xbox too much of a PC. My friends I had already made fun of me for owning an Xbox because it's like a PC while their Playstation 2's aren't. I say yeah right it's the other way around.;)
Justask them what the official name of the PS2 is. Answer, Playstation 2 Computer Entertainment System. Can you get any closer to calling a console a PC?

Insane Jester
12-29-2002, 10:31 AM
so is there a keyboard and mouse ? i would like one for my fps games ... halo with a keyboard and mouse WOW ....

ShannonX
12-29-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by ChickenSHHHH

just curious to what you guys think is soooo wrong with this?

creates an uneven playing field.. they ever bring out a keyboard or mouse for the xbox, i'll drop it so fast (xbox) you would wonder if i ever had one to begin with. If i want to use a keyboard/mouse combo on games, i'll play my computer.

Insane Jester
12-29-2002, 10:41 AM
creates an uneven playing field.. they ever bring out a keyboard or mouse for the xbox, i'll drop it so fast you would wonder if i ever had one to begin with. If i want to use a keyboard/mouse combo on games, i'll play my computer.

so u would bin the xbox if they bring a keyboard and mouse out for it ??? that to me is very sad.. also there are games on the box "halo" for one that are or have been box exclusive's .. so how could u play those on the pc "computer" ???

i think playing fps are enhanced 100% by useing a keyboard and mouse ... i would love to see a keyboard and mouse on my box it would take it another level up ....

but i would never bin something because they brought out something i didnt agree with thats just mad ...

scull
12-29-2002, 12:07 PM
How would it make it an "Uneven playing field" ? some ppl say they prefer the pad..others say keyboard & mouse, so it would make it a more fair play field as ppl will be using what they prefer & feel more adapted to.

as for the keyboard & mouse making it too much of a PC! its a console ..ditto.. many things have keboards, that doesnt make them a PC! i havent bought any FPS game as yet for xbox simply cuz it sucks playing with a pad as im used to using keyboard & mouse on my pc (my opinion)

if MS wanna be serious about LIVE, they're gunna ave to think serious about releasing a keyboard & mouse for both communication & games. the headset is good for those that can use it. what about ppl with disablities, deaf,speech etc.. these reasons alone make it more of a reason why MS should release a kb & mouse than ppl who say they shouldn't cuz it makes an xbox more like a PC!

VeNoMiZA
12-29-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by scull
How would it make it an "Uneven playing field" ? some ppl say they prefer the pad..others say keyboard & mouse, so it would make it a more fair play field as ppl will be using what they prefer & feel more adapted to.

as for the keyboard & mouse making it too much of a PC! its a console ..ditto.. many things have keboards, that doesnt make them a PC! i havent bought any FPS game as yet for xbox simply cuz it sucks playing with a pad as im used to using keyboard & mouse on my pc (my opinion)

if MS wanna be serious about LIVE, they're gunna ave to think serious about releasing a keyboard & mouse for both communication & games. the headset is good for those that can use it. what about ppl with disablities, deaf,speech etc.. these reasons alone make it more of a reason why MS should release a kb & mouse than ppl who say they shouldn't cuz it makes an xbox more like a PC!

aaaahhh i dont think so. keyboard and mouse are advantages against someone with a pad. mouse is more accurate than a control.. i have a optical mouse trust me. its faster in aiming than a control. a key board would be ok only for games like phantasy star online. anywayz who wants to sit with a freaking key board on theyre lap and mouse to be stationed where? im definitly not going to put a table in front of my tv set. for that i would play on the pc like shannon says.. i liked the keyboard dreamcast had that was cool. but yet annoying at times becuzz i would have the keyboard on the floor and i would always feel uncomfartible with it on my lap.

ShannonX
12-29-2002, 12:21 PM
then those people with disabilities should just use the PC then. Nobody is making them use the xbox, ps2 or gc.

Who the hell wants to sit on a couch holding a keyboard and trying to use a mouse the the couch beside you. It doesn't make any sense. I dont play a console game sitting straight up in a chair, i'm usually sprawled out on the couch or the floor, using keyboard and mouse would be hard as hell. If i want to use a keyboard, i'll sit in my comfy computer chair at my computer desk.

The only way i'd agree with people using a mouse/keyboard is if the actual gameplay remained unchanged (turn rate, look up/down operated exactly as a control pad did, as in, it doesn't turn faster, etc...). Then i would say, ok, let us have it. But you bring in people using keyboards and mice and they can turn, look around, aim faster, than somebody who's using a controller, then no, i'm against it.

rio2012
12-29-2002, 12:45 PM
Your Prayers have been answered LikSang.com (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=53&products_id=2154&PHPSESSID=83d41841cf9b3029882481c0ee3a14d1)

Description of adapter

Hook up any existing USB hardware to your Microsoft Xbox. Currently Iomega's drives are supported for memory card replacement as well as keyboards and mice are usable under Xbox Linux for instance. The cable plugs into the Xbox controller socket and offers one USB type A female socket. You can connect any USB device, however it is recommended to check whether the hardware is supported by the software you are using. Up to four of those cables can be used to directly plug into the Xbox controller sockets at once.

P.S. Thank me later;)

FuNkY mOnK
12-29-2002, 01:27 PM
nice find,anyway playing unreal championship with a controller was very frustrating for me, if i had had a mouse and keyboard my body count would have been through the roof. you cannot use a controller against humans, it's to slow and your reactions are delayed by seconds, if you want to level out the playing Field it's your choice no one will force you to use a controller. i choose mouse and keyboard. what will you choose.

LynxFX
12-29-2002, 02:58 PM
I'm not 100% sold on the fact that it will make the playing field uneven. For one thing, you can use a controller on the PC and people have for years. Infact the #1 player of Quake III, a very fast pasted fps, became champion by playing with a controller. This was against tons of hard core kb & ms players. So it isn't impossible.

Of course, it would definately make my gaming better than just the controller but for some they are most comfortable with the controller and could probably be a tough match for even the most skilled kb & ms player.

I really want a good RTS game for the xbox and that will require either ingenius controls or a mouse and keypad. I do not want a keyboard so I can type. The communicator works beautifully for that. :)

ShannonX
12-29-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
nice find,anyway playing unreal championship with a controller was very frustrating for me, if i had had a mouse and keyboard my body count would have been through the roof. you cannot use a controller against humans, it's to slow and your reactions are delayed by seconds, if you want to level out the playing Field it's your choice no one will force you to use a controller. i choose mouse and keyboard. what will you choose.

delayed by seconds? if your playing online, you might want to check your lag then. I've never had a problem with it being "delayed by seconds". Thats crazy talk.

and like i said, i'll just stick with my PC if i'm going to use keyboard and mouse. It will always have the better games anyways. Sure, the games for the consoles might be better for a year, then after games catch up with PC hardware, its the PCs that have the advantage until the next console comes out 3 or 4 years later.

scull
12-29-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Shannon-XBA
then those people with disabilities should just use the PC then. Nobody is making them use the xbox, ps2 or gc.

why should people who have disablities have to stick to a pc for online gaming just because some ppl say a kb&mouse sux for a console? as for this unfair adv using a kb/mouse... you will have a choice to use one, the k/b wont b a full size 1 im sure & the mouse, all u need is a book or summit on your lap. then again for the ppl who dont like the idea of it..they could just use the pc then :p

After reading a few articles the xbox will have an official kb & mouse eventually theres no doubts about it. kb & mouse will soon become standard for the latest consoles. i just cant see the problem that some ppl have with it! you will have a choice to use 1 or not, no one is going stick you in an electric chair & say "Use this kb & mouse combo or else" im for it 100% & when i do finally get the combo i will then go out & buy myself sum FPS's for the xbox :)

ShannonX
12-29-2002, 10:18 PM
the only way i'll use a mouse, is if its optical, if they turn cheap and try to sell me a old style mouse, i'll laugh right in their faces and get that adapter that the other guy showed us. :D :)

rio2012
12-29-2002, 10:24 PM
That other guy is Hitman101

scull
12-29-2002, 10:28 PM
aye, would have to be an optical..cant be doing with the mouseball sticking every 10 secs! :( would be even better if it was cordless combo :D ..fat chance of that though eh :( ..mind u cordless = batteries :( anywayz time will tell hopefully :)

scull
12-29-2002, 10:33 PM
just found this :)

http://xboxdev.xemulation.com/tutorials/HyperG/USB_Adapter/

also MS are planning to bundle the USB adapter with PSO :)

ShannonX
12-29-2002, 10:38 PM
dont forget that developers will have to support the keyboard/mouse combo. Not all games will support it i'm assuming, and just because its a game doesnt' mean that keyboards and mice are automatically supported by it.

Bigwig
12-29-2002, 11:19 PM
A keyboard and Mouse will add to downloadable goodies.

Seawolf X
12-30-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by scull
hi all :)

will / When is there gunna b a kboard & mouse released for the xbox, theres a few games in the pipeline like Fable,CS & a few i have now that could really do with these periphials. any ideas anyone ..thx i advance :)

I don't think i'll play cs without a mouse and keyboard, i'm so used to the PC version. It will be a tough move to the controller.

TheCovenant
12-31-2002, 05:51 AM
i am very comfortable with the controller.

i cant imagine fable with a controller.
that would be just wrong.
a year ago, when halo came out, everyone wanted a keyboard, one year later, the controller has become our friend.

i can't wait to see how uniqely innovative the controls for counter strike are going to be. gear box knows what they're doing with that one.