PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Mmorpg?

hiter101
12-29-2002, 05:57 PM
i have a question for games like Star wars Galaxies will we have to pay a monthly charge like pc gamers do or is the xbox live price enough?

:)

shrew king
12-29-2002, 05:59 PM
thats gonna be the deciding factor for me to buy this game or not, but i dont know.

speedbuggy76
12-29-2002, 06:41 PM
me too, I can't justify buying galaxies if there's a fee any more than $3 a month, which won't happen. My guess is that either there won't be a fee or it will be $10 a month. Thet have to realize that soon after the games release, we will be paying an XBL subscription fee.

EHWfedPres
12-29-2002, 06:55 PM
Well they might make you pay, but then again, you are paying for the XBL service, and Ultima Online dosent make you pay for their internet service, so it would be stupid to pay for something you are already paying for...

rockola
12-30-2002, 12:22 AM
comercial MMORPG's will never be free, the monthly fee is how they make thier money. it may be discounted with the xbox since we are already paying for xboxlive but there will be a fee.

And come on, you cant possibly think that the xbox live fee should cover all MMORPG's. most of them are 12.95 a month, that would be about 155 a year, theres no way you can even begin to expect that lil 50 dollar xboxlive fee to cover everything

TheCovenant
12-30-2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by rockola
comercial MMORPG's will never be free, the monthly fee is how they make thier money. it may be discounted with the xbox since we are already paying for xboxlive but there will be a fee.

And come on, you cant possibly think that the xbox live fee should cover all MMORPG's. most of them are 12.95 a month, that would be about 155 a year, theres no way you can even begin to expect that lil 50 dollar xboxlive fee to cover everything

true, but in order to have a game xbox live enabled, they have to pay for the license of the code (infrastructure), and with microsoft at the helm of veto/okay, dont think microsoft wont have any say int this.

not to mention that this would contradict microsofts online strategy, and lean towards the ps2's.

Cloud Strife
12-30-2002, 09:53 AM
I'm not sure. I have plans on buying Phantasy Star Online Episodes I & II and True Fantasy Live Online for Xbox.

Duke
12-30-2002, 10:17 AM
Actually, it doesn't really go against their online plans. They have said from the beginning that it would be a possiblity.

Remember, that a persistent universe, takes a lot more resources than simple client-hosted games. I hope they're included too, but I'm not holding my breath.

rockola
12-30-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by TheCovenant

true, but in order to have a game xbox live enabled, they have to pay for the license of the code (infrastructure), and with microsoft at the helm of veto/okay, dont think microsoft wont have any say int this.

not to mention that this would contradict microsofts online strategy, and lean towards the ps2's.

Microsoft does have a say but they are not going to beable to tell a company not to charge a fee for a MMORPG, if they do we will not be seeing that mmorpg on the xbox.

and how does it lean towards the ps2. mmorpg's will have a fee no matter what you are playing it on, PC, xbox, ps2 it doesnt matter. with xbox live you are paying for a service, ps2 online you arent getting a service. ps2 online is sortof like those other programs (xboxconnect, tunnel etc). xboxlive is like the AOL of console internet gaming

speedbuggy76
12-30-2002, 08:27 PM
NEVER compare XBL to AOL, c'mon man, I can't believe people like that crap!

Chandlz
12-30-2002, 08:38 PM
Because games like Everquest have a price of $10 they needed to charge the yearly fee of $30 or something like that. And they thought they could make more money that way because they figured people would be playing their game for years. Maybe because Star Wars will be selling at $50, that could make up for the yearly subsription fee. Because with so many games coming out now a days, they can't imagine people playing their game much more than a year, two years max.

Just a guess.

rockola
12-30-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by speedbuggy76
NEVER compare XBL to AOL, c'mon man, I can't believe people like that crap!

hehe, well its not crappy like aol. I was just saying, its similiar because of the features that are right there included. voice chat, rankings, friends list, downloadable content, searchable game types. its easy and quick to use. where as with the ps2 each game may have different ways of doing things that you have to learn or figure out, some things will be in some games, some wont, some will be done differently, no downloadable content, each game has its own login etc.

TheCovenant
12-31-2002, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by rockola

Microsoft does have a say but they are not going to beable to tell a company not to charge a fee for a MMORPG, if they do we will not be seeing that mmorpg on the xbox.

and how does it lean towards the ps2. mmorpg's will have a fee no matter what you are playing it on, PC, xbox, ps2 it doesnt matter. with xbox live you are paying for a service, ps2 online you arent getting a service. ps2 online is sortof like those other programs (xboxconnect, tunnel etc). xboxlive is like the AOL of console internet gaming

the xbox online, well not strategy.......philosophy. yea that's a better word, was too pay one company a service fee ( that company would of course be microsoft) that would cover all games, and all games would have to work under the supervision and management of microsoft.

like communism.

ps2 makes you pay every game company for an individual expirience from every company, and every company can make up there own rules ( voice chat, buddy lists, things that are forced unto xbox games.)

like democracy.

but from some reason, communism seems more appealing in this case.

with that said, microsoft does have power to deny the license to anyone who doesnt work under there circumstances.

all games must have voice chat, friends lists, and all the other goodies. if any company refuses to comply, microsoft won't let them market in that field.

and how many mmorpgs have you played on xbox, ps2, or gamecube?
so far, the only thing that has a fee is pc. mmorpg's on xbox are new, and that calls for new ways of management.

and if one company charges a monthly fee, that would be leaning towards ps2's "you have it, you handle it" strategy.

and wasnt xbconnect and gamespy tunnel free? i got them for free. so how is that anything like ps2's online strategy?

hiter101
12-31-2002, 10:43 AM

the xbox online, well not strategy.......philosophy. yea that's a better word, was too pay one company a service fee ( that company would of course be microsoft) that would cover all games, and all games would have to work under the supervision and management of microsoft.

like communism.

ps2 makes you pay every game company for an individual expirience from every company, and every company can make up there own rules ( voice chat, buddy lists, things that are forced unto xbox games.)

like democracy.

but from some reason, communism seems more appealing in this case.

with that said, microsoft does have power to deny the license to anyone who doesnt work under there circumstances.

all games must have voice chat, friends lists, and all the other goodies. if any company refuses to comply, microsoft won't let them market in that field.

so far, the only thing that has a fee is pc. mmorpg's on xbox are new, and that calls for new ways of management.

and if one company charges a monthly fee, that would be leaning towards ps2's "you have it, you handle it" strategy.

and wasnt xbconnect and gamespy tunnel free? i got them for free. so how is that anything like ps2's online strategy?

I tottaly agree all hail comunism!:D

:)

rockola
12-31-2002, 11:00 AM

Why is it that everyone think things are so different when it comes to xbox. The question is have YOU ever played an MMORPG? running an mmorpg is a full time job. first you need the servers to host the game that everyone is going to be playing on. its not like playing UC or NHL 2k3. each game world that is expected to beable to handle 2000+ people needs its own server farm. you need to have people always available to maintain the servers, to handle ingame events/ problems, to create content, fix bugs, and so on. it wouldnt make sense for a company to commit to that for free. now if MS supply's the servers that would probably cut back on thier expenses a bit. but there will be an extra fee for mmorpg, just face it.

no it would still be under MS stragety, because you would still have 1 login, youd still pay the bill through xboxlive, it would still have friends list (which most mmorpg's have anyway), voice, rankings and everything else that makes it a xboxlive game.

MS has already stated that you would have to pay extra for some things, there is a setting in xboxlive to turn on/off the ability to purchase premium content. splinter cell has already stated that they will sell extra "levels" after they give away the first 1 or 2 free ones in march. so paying for a mmorpg is still under the MS plan.

they are both free. how they are alike is you get the program then your on your own, each game will have its own features (or lack of features) the overall quality of gameplay using those programs (and ps2online) varies.

But everyone might as well face the music, MMORPG's will have an extra fee attached to it. now we dont know how MS is going to handle those fee's but you will not be playing starwars galaxies just like you play UC, or MA.