PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about VPort and HDTV setup

XBOXfanINcincy
12-29-2002, 09:25 PM
I'm sure that this is an old topic. There might even be a FAQ here on the subject? Could someone direct/link me in the right direction. I have a 73 inch Mitsibishi Widescreen HDTV. I also have the new RCA TV with VPORT.

As I understand it, the VPort set(non HD) will allow me to play 480p games. I know I need the VPort cord. What are the steps after that?

I'm interested in my Mits also. What type of setup is needed for that set as well? It is not VPort. But does 480p, 720p, and 1080i. Anyone discussed the Dragons Lair game yet on each setting for true HD sets?

I've read a LITTLE on the console set up in the XBOX, but do most TV sets also have to be set up in their control panels before the pic pops up in an HD mode?

Any links, advice, or help would be appreciated. I can't wait to surf this great looking site. If I've put this in the wrong forum, please move it. Thank you!

rio2012
12-29-2002, 09:34 PM
Welcome to XBA newblood.

LynxFX
12-30-2002, 01:03 AM
First, welcome to XBA. :)

Second, the RCA tv's with Vport are not HD or even ED. You will still only get a max resolution of 480i, not 480p. The vport is nothing more than a component connection modified to be one wire instead of three. It is nothing more than a marketing ploy between RCA and Microsoft. Nice tv's, just not the jump into HD quality gaming.

Your mits however is a great gaming monitor. You will need the HD A/V pack from microsoft or the Monster 400x cables. Once you are connected using either of those kits go to your dashboard and you will have new settings to enable 480p, 720p and 1080i. All games will play at the max setting that they are programmed for. 99% of those being 480p.

As for Dragon's Lair 3D, it is our first 1080i game and from what I here it is incredible. It is like playing an HD cartoon. Slow at the start but framerates pick back up once you are inside. I still have to rent it sometime to try it out for myself. I haven't heard anyone compare 720p to 1080i on it though since few people have HD's capable of 720p. I do so once I try it I'll report here at XBA.

I have a few helpful links in my sig that should get you going. (sorry that the HD gaming FAQ is still incomplete.)

Just remember on your Mits to not pause the game for extended periods and to have your set calibrated using either AVIA or Video Essentials. The most important setting being your contrast ratio and having it set low...very low.

BCan
12-30-2002, 06:12 AM
BTW - for those that are unaware, 480p is the current DVD standard of display, so this is the most likely reason why they are programmed no higher than that, just yet....

LynxFX
12-30-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by BCan
BTW - for those that are unaware, 480p is the current DVD standard of display, so this is the most likely reason why they are programmed no higher than that, just yet....
Another reason is that it is too resource heavy and the xbox is having a hard time taking the extra res. Sadly I doubt we will see many 1080i games during the entire life of the xbox and only a handful of 720p which most people can't view anyway. It is a shame because those resolutions is what really starts to make a console compete with the PC graphicswise.

Hugh_Jass
12-31-2002, 08:17 AM
This can be a confusing topic.

Lines of horizontal resolution are often confused with scan lines. The two are totally different things, be careful when shopping for equipment. Lines of horizontal resolution refers to visually resolvable vertical lines per picture height. In other words, it's measured by counting the number of vertical black and white lines that can be distinguished an area that is as wide as the picture is high. Lines of horizontal resolution applies both to television displays and to signal formats such as that produced by a DVD player. Since DVD has 720 horizontal pixels (on both NTSC and PAL discs), the horizontal resolution can be calculated by dividing 720 by 1.33 (for a 4:3 aspect ratio) to get 540 lines. On a 1.78 (16:9) display, you get 405 lines. In practice, most DVD players provide about 500 lines instead of 540 because of filtering and low-quality digital-to-analog converters. VHS has about 230 (172 widescreen) lines, broadcast TV has about 330 (248 widescreen), and laserdisc has about 425 (318 widescreen). Scan lines, on the other hand, measure resolution along the y axis. DVD produces 480 scan lines of active picture for NTSC and 576 for PAL. The NTSC standard has 525 total scan lines, but only 480 to 483 or so are visible. (The extra lines are black and are encoded with other information). Since all video formats (VHS, LD, broadcast, etc.) have the same number of scan lines, it's the horizontal resolution that makes the big difference in picture quality.

LINK (http://www.home-theater-glossary.com/k-n.htm)

FuNkY mOnK
12-31-2002, 08:26 AM
i'll just give a plug,i bought the rca xbox ready 20", nice gaming tv and very cheap, very clear picture and robust colors via component hookup. at 220.00 wont break my bank and i would'nt loose sleep if i decide to go true HDTV. all in all nice tv with the xbox logo. welcome to xba.

Reclaimer
12-31-2002, 06:17 PM
I'm still plugging my RCA 36 Xbox series. Loving it. I decided to skip the VPORT cable and went with the component video set up that Micorsoft makes for the Xbox. The video setup has a junction box with optical cable plugs. That way I when I get my surround sound reciever I can use the optical input and free up the component input on the receiver.