PDA

View Full Version : Information on the Xbox Harddrive Capacity!

coreys281
11-23-2001, 08:20 AM
One of our forums members, Patience, has taken the task of finding out how many blocks exactly the Xbox could hold, 50,000+ was all Microsoft put down on the spec sheet. He copied a huge 77 minute CD to the HD. Then copied that set of tracks onto itself. Then he repeated that process several times. What he noticed was that you could only hold 500 songs per sound track. So he copied that humongous sound track to a new one. Dont get the idea that you can only copy 500 songs. Its 500 per sound track. You can have multiple sound tracks.

He maxed out the HD at 312,500 blocks!

Y2Kevbug11 did the math and figured out that it would take 5,297 GameCube memory cards told hold that, and at that rate, at the GameCube's memory card price of $15, it would be $79,459 to hold it.

Is the Xbox's 100 extra dollars worth it?

hockeyfan
11-23-2001, 08:25 AM
Good point!

Hugh_Jass
11-23-2001, 11:43 AM
I imagine the size difference between the Cube and the XBox becomes less of an issue if you have to store 5000+ memory cards. :)

Xboxderekman
11-23-2001, 02:04 PM
Thats coooool! I didnt know that, Ur a a step for mankind, A huge step for--- ummm whatever it is, I better shut my mouth..

Heyyoudvd
11-23-2001, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by coreys281
One of our forums members, Patience, has taken the task of finding out how many blocks exactly the Xbox could hold, 50,000+ was all Microsoft put down on the spec sheet. He copied a huge 77 minute CD to the HD. Then copied that set of tracks onto itself. Then he repeated that process several times. What he noticed was that you could only hold 500 songs per sound track. So he copied that humongous sound track to a new one. Dont get the idea that you can only copy 500 songs. Its 500 per sound track. You can have multiple sound tracks.

He maxed out the HD at 312,500 blocks!

Y2Kevbug11 did the math and figured out that it would take 5,297 GameCube memory cards told hold that, and at that rate, at the GameCube's memory card price of $15, it would be $79,459 to hold it.

Is the Xbox's 100 extra dollars worth it?

how about the SD cards that are coming out for gamecube?

They're going to range from about 64 megs to 4 gigs.

skoot182
11-23-2001, 11:16 PM
so your saying that the + stands for over 250,000 blocks, or am i just seeing this wrong?

Haine
11-24-2001, 09:22 PM
That would be funny to see,Someone come over and say hey what is that hardrive looking thing hanging off your gamecube controller.Its my memory card.....Rofl

Frostberg
11-24-2001, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Heyyoudvd

how about the SD cards that are coming out for gamecube?

They're going to range from about 64 megs to 4 gigs.

I dont think you heard that correctly. Sure there is a SD card adapter...thats true. However, the largest current SD card is only 128MB. I dont think its worth the cost of the gamecube to get a 128MB SD card. Look to pay NO LESS than $150 for one...now when the 256MB version comes out at the end of the year look to pay double the cost of the gamecube...A 4GB SD card WILL NOT come out for at least 2+ years...The SD technology has been out awhile, yet the highest is 128MB currently. I dont even think they will go to 4gigs..Think about it...most people only find the need of SD cards for things like Pocket PCs (like me) or digital cameras. I think that because the technology is so expensive, it wont be terribly popular until a while from now. People would rather buy microdrives or CF cards for the devices you need a SD card for anyway.

sketchX
11-24-2001, 09:46 PM
Says it all right there. I should post this in the VS threads but I would liek to say it right here. Basically thats should be a main factor of buying and Xbox becuz you allready save money $150 or so on the Xbox cuz on PoS2, you need to buy the HD & Ethernet card to have what the Xbox haves and I even heard from SOny that those things will sell poorly. None the less I dont see the PoS2 gonna have like Xbox where you can interlink consoles together(maybe they can but I havent heard anything of it yet) Also the HD is a standard in the Xbox so developers need not worry if if the HD will be in Xboxs or not unlike Sony. *phew* I need a drink, im beat for now. :)

Heyyoudvd
11-24-2001, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg

I dont think you heard that correctly. Sure there is a SD card adapter...thats true. However, the largest current SD card is only 128MB. I dont think its worth the cost of the gamecube to get a 128MB SD card. Look to pay NO LESS than $150 for one...now when the 256MB version comes out at the end of the year look to pay double the cost of the gamecube...A 4GB SD card WILL NOT come out for at least 2+ years...The SD technology has been out awhile, yet the highest is 128MB currently. I dont even think they will go to 4gigs..Think about it...most people only find the need of SD cards for things like Pocket PCs (like me) or digital cameras. I think that because the technology is so expensive, it wont be terribly popular until a while from now. People would rather buy microdrives or CF cards for the devices you need a SD card for anyway.

the 64 meg ones are right now $35 (from Panasonic)
And, SD techonology is fairly new and the demand is increasing. Price is gonna drop.

I'll bet that by next year, the 256 meg cards will be about $30.

Haine
11-24-2001, 10:04 PM
Ok lets just say that the 256 meg crad will be $30,But they wont.But just to please you we will say that,Ok so it would take 3 256 meg cards to hold one full CD.So that would would be $90 just for not even a gig yet,Actually that is very high and for 2 i bet it wont be that cheap next year

Frostberg
11-24-2001, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Heyyoudvd

the 64 meg ones are right now $35 (from Panasonic)
And, SD techonology is fairly new and the demand is increasing. Price is gonna drop.

I'll bet that by next year, the 256 meg cards will be about $30.

Eep, Id like to see that! For $35 you will be lucky to get a 16MB SD card! No way will you get a 64MB SD card! I seriously doubt 256MB SD cards will go into single digits for about a year, but prolly not $30...A 64MB card is more or less averaged at $75+shipping. I bought a 32MB SD card for $65 less than 6 months ago from amazon.com now the same thing is $57...the prices wont decrease quite as fast as you think...its just too costly to fit so much on that small thing