PDA

View Full Version : CD Ripping on the Xbox

levelzero
12-31-2002, 12:30 PM
CD Ripping on the Xbox is a really cool feature. I'm a new Xbox owner (Christmas), so I'm still playing "catch-up" as far as the unit & games goes.

Just curious if anyone has managed to get a good collection going on the unit? The system has an 8 gig drive in it, and I know saved games, as well as swap space also takes place on that drive.

Bout how many files (single ripped CD tracks) can I store on the unit before I might start having drive space problems?

Also, is there any place to get a complete list of all the games that take advantage of the local soundtrack feature? I know that Tony Hawk 2 does, any others?

Thanks!

AlBoogy
12-31-2002, 12:58 PM
Rallisport Challenge, Project Gotham Racing

LynxFX
12-31-2002, 02:58 PM
Here (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100055)is a pretty good list that shows which games support custom soundtrack. Not possitive if it is complete but it is the majority.

As for how many CD's can you rip, a whole slew worth. :) Don't know the exact number.

Xbox Owner
12-31-2002, 03:17 PM
lol, just keep ripping until' you run out of room..then delete some.:D

Cloud Strife
12-31-2002, 03:25 PM
This is what I know:
Gun Metal
Amped
Splashdown
Fuzion Frenzy
NHL Hitz 2002
Project Gotham Racing
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4
Rallisport Challenge
Sega GT 2002
Quantum Redshift
Test Drive
Transworld Snowboarding ?
MX Superfly ?
DOA XVB

Zion
12-31-2002, 08:26 PM
I've got about 15 CD's worth of songs and no dent in the space. I think I read you could store over 100 CD's with no problems.

BCan
12-31-2002, 08:44 PM
It really depends what MS used as their format to rip the songs to, if it is 128 KBit it's about 1 MB per minute, so on that logic, at least 8000 minutes (133 hrs)... But then again, not all of the hard drive is available for use, I'd say about 6 GB is free for us, keeping 2 GB free for use by games...

It could be sampled higher or lower - I could see well over 70-80 hrs on the XBOX before it starts to eat in on the amount needed for games to play.....

canadianboi3
01-01-2003, 04:33 AM
haha no offense but your worried about space. trust me, you wont fill your harddrive up with cd's. (unless you have compiled about 1000 and our ripping all your friends and relatives cd's too:p )

levelzero
01-01-2003, 06:02 PM
Man, that is great news that so many games support custom sound tracks. I just can't explain how much I love my new Xbox. The CD ripping feature (to me) is a total smack down on the "other console" system.

Thanks guys, I'll check out that list of games that support custom sound tracks and maybe pick up a few.

Thanks Again...

Behold...the power of X

Dave
01-01-2003, 09:39 PM
That Desert Storm game allows you to play music too. My kid just bought that one, and it's a pretty cool looking game. Kinda funny seeing the army dude going to war with heavy metal as the background music. About time a shooter had that feature on it.

Yannie Boy
01-03-2003, 06:16 PM
I don't know about you but i have a total of 67583 blocks used on my box and it still displays the same amount of memory when i bought it the first day

EHWfedPres
01-03-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Zion
I've got about 15 CD's worth of songs and no dent in the space. I think I read you could store over 100 CD's with no problems.

Depends on the cd that you're ripping...I know of cd's over 80 minutes long, and then there's Slayer's Reign in Blood thats only 28 minutes long...but i have between 50 and 100 songs on mine and it still says 50000+ blocks free and if I remember correctly, something like 500 blocks = 1 meg or something...i forget

Originally posted by Dave
That Desert Storm game allows you to play music too. My kid just bought that one, and it's a pretty cool looking game. Kinda funny seeing the army dude going to war with heavy metal as the background music. About time a shooter had that feature on it.

Not if that song is War Ensemble by Slayer...the song is great, too bad I cant say the same about Conflict Desert Storm, game has too many problems.

Qbas
01-03-2003, 06:41 PM
About Xbox's Hard Drive...getting music to the HD, deleting them etc. Does Xbox's HD fragment badly?

POD13259
01-03-2003, 06:55 PM
I have, as of right now, 168 songs on my hard drive, 18 of those are System Of A Down.

I'm overwhelmed at the fact that there's so much room for music. I have 11 hours worth now, and I'm having trouble increasing the number as it is.