PDA

View Full Version : how loud is the fan on your xbox?

dzadzi
01-01-2003, 07:01 PM
Just got this baby yesterday and can't help noticing that the fan seems awfully loud? I have a PS2, Dreamcast and GC as welll and so far the XBOX is the loudest of the bunch? I rrealize that it has a HD in it, and this requires cooling - but sheesh shut-up!

I just wanted to get any feedback as to other users boxes - are the fans loud? So far the games play fine (only tested the two that came with it) and is this even something I should be concerned with?

Many thanks in advance.

Cloud Strife
01-01-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by dzadzi
Just got this baby yesterday and can't help noticing that the fan seems awfully loud? I have a PS2, Dreamcast and GC as welll and so far the XBOX is the loudest of the bunch? I rrealize that it has a HD in it, and this requires cooling - but sheesh shut-up!

I just wanted to get any feedback as to other users boxes - are the fans loud? So far the games play fine (only tested the two that came with it) and is this even something I should be concerned with?

Many thanks in advance. It really depends. The Playstation 2 is my loudest system when I play a CD game. When I play a DVD game, it's quiet. My Gamecube fan is about the same as my Xbox. The Dreamcast is very loud.

MerimacHamwich
01-01-2003, 07:07 PM
Compared to all of the systems I have owned I think the xbox has a really quiet fan. Dreamcast had a loud fan/cd-drive. Playstation 2 has a horribly loud fan.

dzadzi
01-01-2003, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the reponse. I do know what you mean about noises that the cd/dvd drive itself generates. But I was specifically talking about the fan on the system, without a disc in the tray.

Just after turning the system on I noticed a rather loud humming. Just wanted to make sure I didn't get a lemon.

kornavs19
01-01-2003, 07:21 PM
Mine was really loud when i first got it...But now its quiet...Its only considerably loud when i first turn it on, but by the time it gets to the desktop its quiet..
The only rescent problem i had with my x-box was that I was playing NHL2K3 and i had played 3 or 4 games and in the middle of one of the games it just stopped and this loud noise was made until i turned it off...I dont know y it did that but its been fine ever since...:)

TommyGunn
01-01-2003, 07:41 PM
Before I traded in my PS2 for the XBOX i had heard that it was very loud but after I got it and turned it on i think the PS2 was louder. Not sure if all the loud stuff i was reading about was making me think it was going to be terrible loud and I was expecting alot more noise so it now dont seem as loud or it is quiet but in my opinion i dont find loud at all.

Reclaimer
01-01-2003, 09:00 PM
The fan on mine is not that loud. It's the sound of the CD-DVD drive as it engages that's loud. But the funny thing I've noticed is that my American S-type controller is noisy when the vibration gets heavy. But my Japanese S-type is silent.

ARONO129
01-01-2003, 09:06 PM
I don't find it that loud at all. It's hard to tell if yours is defective or you just have to get used to the (normal) sound of it. If you have a friend that has one then you can compare. I was going to say check out an Xbox on display at the mall but malls are noisy so that wouldn't work.

P.S. Welcome to Xbox Addict. I have found this to be the best Xbox site on the net. It keeps me coming back.

Insane Jester
01-01-2003, 09:23 PM
myne is very quiet actually .... hope its working hehe .,..

Mahlon
01-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Mine whines loud enough that if I mute the TV it is annoying.

Zion
01-02-2003, 11:08 AM
My Xbox is pretty silent. But my PS2...now THAT'S a loud console. Sheeesh.

Snoopy7548
01-02-2003, 04:19 PM
lol yea, the ps2 is so loud.

borka105
01-02-2003, 04:35 PM
I bought my xbox on launch, and it's whisper silent. I seriously can't even hear the fan.

I have a DC and if you say that your XBOX is louder than your DC, then you MUST have a defective XBOX. (the DC is so ****in loud)

-borka105

ALC
01-04-2003, 04:04 AM
mine is louder than my friends gamecube, but quieter than my pc's fan.. It's quieter than my friends xbox i think, but it doesnt really bother me.

Dabomb
01-04-2003, 04:50 PM
Mine is pretty quite it is my computer that has a loud fan

Cesar902
01-05-2003, 04:57 PM
My Xbox is very quiet but if the Hummin sound coming from the fan is really loud you should exchange it before the returning time from your reciept expires. That if you mind the noice, if not you will get use to it if you had a dreamcast or PS2

Ford Mustang
01-05-2003, 11:53 PM
I've noticed that when I'm playing MechAssault, and I start to charge up the PPC, the motors in my controller make a buzzing noise. This is probably because the motors are turning really slow at the beginning, but then they speed up. Has anyone looked inside the controller? It's pretty cool....

MerimacHamwich
01-06-2003, 12:17 AM
Seeing as it is a federal offense to do so, no I have not looked inside the controller.

Chandlz
01-06-2003, 03:22 AM
Xbox fan is kinda loud. Loading the CD on PS2 is very loud. They kinda cancel themselves out.

Bravo_2
01-06-2003, 03:24 AM
Depends upon what game I am playing as to how loud my fan is. When I play Splinter Cell, it gets loud, but when I play Ghost Recon, it is quiet as a kitten.... a mute kitten.

BradVanDam
01-06-2003, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Bravo_2
Depends upon what game I am playing as to how loud my fan is. When I play Splinter Cell, it gets loud, but when I play Ghost Recon, it is quiet as a kitten.... a mute kitten.

the main reason that it does that is because , the Xbox's exhaust fan has a temp control on it , when the gpu / cpu works harder , the fan speeds up.

- Brad

Whisper
01-06-2003, 06:54 AM
silent. never heard it once, am i suppoused to? maybe thats why my first XBOX broke.

dzadzi
01-06-2003, 02:33 PM
Thanks to everyone who reponded to this post.

I took the advice of some members and brought it back for a new one, and the buzz from the fan is considerably quiter than before. I also got the extended warranty just in case. So now it's just a matter of building the library.

Cheers!