PDA

View Full Version : XBox 1.5 in play for '03

Knight
01-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Microsoft have hardware in the works that could be launched as early as May, during the annual E3 video game convention in Los Angeles.

The true next generation of hardware is pegged for a 2005 launch, with Microsoft planning Xbox Next.

Doherty expects an Xbox 1.5 that will be cheaper to manufacture and will be a smaller, lighter version of the current Xbox. He said it will retail from $129-$149. Microsoft also might introduce a new combination Xbox-digital video recorder for about $199.

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, perhaps thinking that the PC market has peaked for now eager to expand its entertainment hardware empire, are each focused on the living room.
Xbox now ships with DVD movie playback, an Ethernet card for broadband connectivity, a disk drive for storage and the ability to rip and listen to CDs. The next wave of hardware is expected to incorporate DVR technology, further positioning the game system as an entertainment hub.

Little is known about Xbox Next, other than that it will ship before PS3 and likely will include UltimateTV technology (DVR and TV Web surfing), and it could serve as a PC for the living room.

There's also the possibility that Microsoft will release two versions each of their systems: one devoted strictly to games and another with all the bells and whistles. Broadband connectivity will be at the center of all of these machines' functions.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hollywoodreporter/convergence/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1785152

Who here would buy a XBox 1.5?

Cloud Strife
01-02-2003, 02:12 PM
I would. I have plans of possibly replacing my Xbox this year.;)

DrUnKtAnK
01-02-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Knight
... Microsoft also might introduce a new combination Xbox-digital video recorder for about $199.

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, perhaps thinking that the PC market has peaked for now eager to expand its entertainment hardware empire, are each focused on the living room.
Xbox now ships with DVD movie playback, an Ethernet card for broadband connectivity, a disk drive for storage and the ability to rip and listen to CDs. The next wave of hardware is expected to incorporate DVR technology, further positioning the game system as an entertainment hub.

Little is known about Xbox Next, other than that it will ship before PS3 and likely will include UltimateTV technology (DVR and TV Web surfing), and it could serve as a PC for the living room.

There's also the possibility that Microsoft will release two versions each of their systems: one devoted strictly to games and another with all the bells and whistles. Broadband connectivity will be at the center of all of these machines' functions....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hollywoodreporter/convergence/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1785152

Who here would buy a XBox 1.5?

I really like the DVR idea, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. ;)

OuFtb
01-02-2003, 02:42 PM
So The Xbox 1.5 is just a smaller version like they did with the PS1 or am I wrong.

Knight
01-02-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
I would. I have plans of possibly replacing my Xbox this year.;)

Are you going to get the one with digital video recorder version or one without digital video recorder?

Cloud Strife
01-02-2003, 03:11 PM

Are you going to get the one with digital video recorder version or one without digital video recorder? It depends on how much cash I have around that time.

DZNUTZ
01-02-2003, 03:17 PM
i always try (and usually suceed) on buying the best model of anything.

Knight
01-02-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
i always try (and usually suceed) on buying the best model of anything.

So your going to get the digital video recorder model?

JimmieDoogan
01-02-2003, 03:25 PM
I have yet to replace my Xbox which broke last year for this reason. I knew eventually they'd find a way to make it smaller... BTW just incase your wondering, I've been using my sister's xbox this whole time... since mine broke and I sent it to Shaggy.

DZNUTZ
01-02-2003, 03:43 PM

So your going to get the digital video recorder model?

sure..y not

Snoopy7548
01-02-2003, 04:19 PM
this is cool. but it makes me mad. i got the xbox when it came out for 300 bucks, and now theyre lowering the price to 150 bucks. the people who bought it for 300 bucks should at least get something, like maybe a free game or a controller.

OuFtb
01-02-2003, 04:21 PM
Thats is exactly what I have been thinking ever since they lowered the price.

shrew king
01-02-2003, 05:19 PM
im with snoopy, the ones who bought it right when it came out and supported it got nothing. it'd be cool to get a game or something.

Stifler
01-02-2003, 05:25 PM
I've already got it Pre-ordered in my head :cool:

Snoopy7548
01-02-2003, 05:26 PM
yea, and now theyre releasing an xbox with a video recorder for 200 bucks. thats 100 bucks less that what we paid, and we didnt get a video recorder built in. lol

# 1 Stunner
01-02-2003, 05:58 PM
so we have to buy a whole new xbox thing we just cant add onto the one we have now?

BCan
01-02-2003, 06:01 PM
Why do you expect to get something for free when they lower the price?

It is a normal practice in ALL markets, that the "Early Adapters" will buy it ASAP and are prepared to pay anything for it. Then it is natural that the hardware will drop in price so that more people are prepared to buy it.

What you are asking for is unrealistic. Do you ask for more RAM when your piece you purchased drops dramatically in price since you bought it close to the release of the RAM?

No Fear 23
01-02-2003, 06:18 PM
im confused, what exactly does a digital recorder do?

POD13259
01-02-2003, 06:40 PM
Digital Video Recorder = TiVo under a different name (does that help?)

Luckily, I have some money saved up, so this looks like a good buy to me!

I will admit that I am one of the many that doesn't wait for prices to come down (Gee, couldn't you tell?), but the combo Xbox and DVR is just too good to wait for.

TheCovenant
01-02-2003, 07:44 PM
yea that kinda blows.

we were there on the first day, coughed up over 5oo dollars for pre orders, and now all the ps2 and gamecube converts get everything.

two free games, lower proce, and in germany you get halo for free!

what a jip................

and now they have a new and improved xbox, with more capabilities...........for less money. what the **** were they thinkin?

by the way, those stars up there represent the damn f-word.

o well. i guess there aint nothin i could do about that.

sandeep
01-02-2003, 09:46 PM
I agree that it's unreasonable to ask for something in return when the company lowers their price.

It does happen to anything, it's called Supply and Demand, and is how business works.

think of it this way, if you have 10 "things" and 5 people are willing to pay 400 bucks for it, and you're more then happy to sell it for that price. but eventually anyone who wanted it first got it, for that price. but now you have 5 that won't sell for 400, so you offer it lower untill someone buys it...

it's a business, and expecting to be compensated seems silly to me.

ARONO129
01-02-2003, 10:57 PM
So will a DVR be like a VCR that records TV on DVD disks? BTW I'll stick with my Xbox until the next gen system comes out.

OK I did a little research. You can record TV on your Xbox HDD. Doesn't sound that amazing to me. But I will probably buy it because the graphics of the games will be much better.

ShannonX
01-03-2003, 12:34 AM
DVR wont make your game graphics better.

ARONO129
01-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Shannon-XBA
DVR wont make your game graphics better.

I meant on the next version of the Xbox (Xbox Next)?