PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell coming to PS2: The Fact !!

Shadow20002
01-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Check this out yourself: http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?subsectionid=158&articleid=64748&pagetype=2

Xbox Owner
01-03-2003, 07:29 PM
Talk about old news..

shrew king
01-03-2003, 07:29 PM
Hasn't this been fact for a long time?

The Clown
01-03-2003, 08:47 PM
wouldnt they have to downgrade it coz xbox is a better system?

Liquid Gears
01-03-2003, 09:04 PM
Oh my God, it's gonna look like crap :rolleyes: PoS2 can't handle those grafics

Cloud Strife
01-03-2003, 09:09 PM
Maybe I should wait and buy it for Playstion 2.

j/k I'd never do that. I always but my games on Xbox even if I have to pay $40 more.;)

EHWfedPres
01-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
Maybe I should wait and buy it for Playstion 2.

j/k I'd never do that. I always bu my games on Xbox even if I have to pay $40 more.;)

dosent everybody? I dont own a ps2, but everyone that I know that has both xbox and ps2 always buys their multiplatform games for the xbox...;)

FuNkY mOnK
01-03-2003, 09:26 PM
ps2 fans always say game play comes first, well they sure is hell aint getting the graphics in SC, same as wreckless this game looked like a ps one game on the ps2.

EHWfedPres
01-03-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
ps2 fans always say game play comes first

Gee, talk about an oxymoron...theres hardly any ps2 exclusive games that have good, non-repetative gameplay...:rolleyes: :o

Laxeph
01-04-2003, 12:37 AM
I have a PS2 and I always get multi-plats fo da big black box.

Spike Minoda
01-04-2003, 03:35 AM
watch gamespot give the pos2 version a whole 1.0 higher than the xbox one. mark my word. ;)

Splinter-Seal
01-04-2003, 04:36 AM
Whoa!... Lol. Hate Much For Sony? Heh.. j/k. I have a PS2, and an X-Box, ANY Multi-Plat game, I purchase for the X-Box, simply because I like the load times, and controller better. As far as graphics go, yea, I like em, but, if a game sucks, and has good graphics, I'm not foolin with it, and unfortunately, I haven't found "that" many X-Box games,(Exclusives) that I like. I haven't got to play Halo yet, I hear that's a benchmark in X-Box technology, and gameplay, I dunno. Splinter Cell, sadly is about the only reason I purchased an X-Box, as dumb as it may seem, my cash.. The PS2 most likely can't handle Splinter Cell, I am interested in seeing what the thing will look like though, but games like Devil May Cry, Socom, and Gran Tourismo A-Spec aren't anything to sneeze at graphically, I know this will most likely kick up a few disagreements, but eh. I prefer the "Box" but I won't call a PS2 a POS, it has gave me MANY hours of enjoyment, way before I knew an X-Box existed. I'm not a Sony Fanboy, nor am I a Microsoft fanboy, I am a Fan of many games. Technically, if I was all about graphics, I wouldn't have either system, I have an Athlon Based PC here, that will run anything I want, at top quality, but I don't like playing games on the damn thing, just too uncomfortable. Anyways, there can be good, and bad things said about all systems I suppose, but, I like my PS2, and will always have one at hand, now that I have owned a "Box" I'll for sure have one of those aswell, honeslty though, if it came down to the wire, and I had to part with one, See ya Sony.. heh.. I didn't post this to start a console war, or cause anyone, any grief, I was just stating my opinion on two fine gaming systems... :cool:

Viper87227
01-04-2003, 10:14 AM
I think that the grafical differances in the games will be very little. Yea the Xbox has more power, but not by much.

I really dont care tho cuz I wont buy either one....I guess im the only person who didnt like SC. Oh well.

CALzinger
01-04-2003, 10:50 AM
how come i have seen this before? oh well, good find

btw, check this out. this is my 666th post. what a great number 666

Dre
01-04-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Viper87227
Yea the Xbox has more power, but not by much.

I think you should go hide in a corner for saying such a stupid thing.

If you feel like getting things straight, check this out:
http://www.pcvsconsole.com/features/consoles/

Viper87227
01-04-2003, 12:19 PM
I understand completly the Xbox has better specs, but both systems can run the same calibur of games. Ive only seen one game where the xbox version is clearly better looking than the ps2 version, and thats Turok Evolution (and that game didnt look all th great on any systems.)

Other than that, maybe there are a few xbox games that have higher fps, but thats not really a big deal as long as the ame runs smooth.

VeNoMiZA
01-04-2003, 12:27 PM
u must live under a rock but whatever i know your defending your pos2.

FuNkY mOnK
01-04-2003, 12:55 PM
I understand completly the Xbox has better specs, but both systems can run the same calibur of games. Ive only seen one game where the xbox version is clearly better looking than the ps2 version, and thats Turok Evolution (and that game didnt look all th great on any systems.)

Other than that, maybe there are a few xbox games that have higher fps, but thats not really a big deal as long as the ame runs smooth.
maybe you don't see that much of a difference but i do, until Halo2, doomIII brute force, fable,BC come around we'll let ps2 fans live in denial, and don't forget xbox is only 1 1/2 years old the ps2 is going on or is 3, these are the true games that will set the obvious apart so save your breath and don't start the crap because these guys including myself carry heavy doses of green napalm. thats not a threat just some good old fashion advice.

p.s you can run but you cant hide :)

Knight
01-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
ps2 fans always say game play comes first

They didn't say that before XBox, then they sayed it was graphics that come first!

Stormlord
01-04-2003, 09:18 PM
It'll be interesting to see SC on a PS2. I already have it on X-Box but to see this game ported to another system I'd prefer Gamecube. GC does have the power to be a little comparible to XB. But it would have been cool if the L600 was released. It was the only console (from the specs) that could actually match the X-Box. But it would a little less powerful becauseit would have had an AMD Duron 600 mhz. Only an Athlon can meet or beat a Pentium. :) :cool: :eek: :rolleyes:

HaloMasterVI
01-04-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by DanieLudacriSSK
watch gamespot give the pos2 version a whole 1.0 higher than the xbox one. mark my word. ;)

Yea, probably for "duel shock controls better dispite horrible graphics.

Anyone ever put Max Payne PS2 vs. Xbox face to face? the difference is remarkable.

FuNkY mOnK
01-04-2003, 09:30 PM
Check out wreckless if you really want to give the ps2 any sympathy. oh wait they still have to untap the power within... Yea and it's called the ps3.

bbchs_trash
01-04-2003, 11:54 PM

Do you know why that is? Because developers have to start with the less powerful PS2 and then build-up for the more powerful Gamecube and Xbox. Both Gamecube and Xbox get shorted because their games end up looking like mess.

Now, if you look at the Resident Evil graphics on Gamecube and the Resident Evil Online graphics for PS2 you see a difference. And I'm sure that you will see a major difference in Splinter Cells too. Do you know why? Because they built them on the more powerful system and downgraded for the weaker one. Funny how that happens... huh? Oh yeah... look at Wreckless. The gameplay sucked but it was pretty well shown that graphics wise... the PS2 version blew...

ShannonX
01-05-2003, 10:27 AM
I think that the grafical differances in the games will be very little. Yea the Xbox has more power, but not by much.

I really dont care tho cuz I wont buy either one....I guess im the only person who didnt like SC. Oh well.

uh, i think they will have to be different, theres no way the ps2's hardware can handle the graphics, lighting effects, shadows, etc... and not have incredible slow down. Hell, even the xbox had one or 2 points where it stuttered. Down in the sewers/drain there was one point where it started jerking a little bit.

Yeah, it might look good compared to other ps2 games, but in NO way will it be able to match the complexity that the xbox allows.

Stormlord
01-05-2003, 10:45 AM
I believe that for X-Box and Gamecube they should do what they did for Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2. It's said that EA allowed for a different engine to be made for X-Box (for the superior graphics). I only have a few problems with Splinter Cell. The real time lighting is amazing and the environments are mind boggling, but what's the deal with the characters in the cinematics? They could have made them look a little bit better. Like RE on Gamecube had cool real time lighting and eye popping environments and the characters looked silky smooth during in game and regular cinemas. But these little drawbacks didn't hurt the game at all. That's where "gameplay before graphics" comes in. The overall game owned major arse and the graphics make you want to drool.:cool: :eek: :rolleyes: :)

Splinter-Seal
01-05-2003, 01:18 PM
HaloMasterVI, I have put the X-Box version's Max Payne side by side with the PS2's version, you damn right there is a difference. A couple months ago I was arguing with a bro of mine in the Bloodrayne forums, he was talking about this very thing, the max Payne on the different systems. Anyways, he KNEW, and I was just babbling, cuz, I had never saw an X-Box run before, I just thought it was BS, then he spewed off about the specs, etc, I was like hmm. I have a pal here, a few blocks away that has an X-Box, I loaded up, went over there, and we had the games set up side by side on Sony Trinitons, S-Video, and it was unreal, especially in Bullet Time. Since then, I have checked out a several games, to see if there is any difference, and so far, every damn game I compare, is blown away. If Socom, and Devil may Cry would just find their way onto the X-Box, Suuuhweet, for me! And another thing, something I rarely hear pointed out is, Load times, OMG, this is almost as important to me as graphics, and there is a HUGE difference in that ... All in All, if Socom, and the Devil may Cry series would find their ways onto X-Box, I would have alot more room in my E-Center, heh... BUT, that's not gonna happen.. :(

HaloMasterVI
01-06-2003, 07:07 PM
Exactly man!

One thing that ****es me off more than anything is that the industry ignores games that are best on XBox 99% of the time, then whenever something like Need For Speed or Madden 2003 come out*both made by EA btw*, magazines love zooming in like "the Xbox version is no match for the awesome PS2 versioN!!!!!".

Back in the Genesis/SNES days, games were judged fairly, now, everything that comes to Xbox and PS2 BETTER DAMN LOOK BETTER FOR XBOX, even though they cost the same...it's like PS2 is given sympathy for poor hardware.

Stormlord
01-08-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by HaloMasterVI
Exactly man!

One thing that ****es me off more than anything is that the industry ignores games that are best on XBox 99% of the time, then whenever something like Need For Speed or Madden 2003 come out*both made by EA btw*, magazines love zooming in like "the Xbox version is no match for the awesome PS2 versioN!!!!!".

Back in the Genesis/SNES days, games were judged fairly, now, everything that comes to Xbox and PS2 BETTER DAMN LOOK BETTER FOR XBOX, even though they cost the same...it's like PS2 is given sympathy for poor hardware.

I totally agree. Things have become unfair. Everyone acts like Sony has been in gaming since the beginning of time. Please, they started in 95' and they wouldn't even have a Playstation if it wasn't for Nintendo. To make a long story short, Nintendo asked Sony to make a CD Add-On for the SNES but Sony made the Playstation. Nintendo didn't have full control of the PS so they scrapped their partnership. So Sony then made the PS anyways but put it as PSX. Dreamcast did better stuff than PS2 and got treated very unfairly. Of course after the Dreamcast, X-Box became my favorite NEW system (I still like SNES). I'll admit PS2 can pull off some impressive graphics but we all know "There's no power greater than X."

CALzinger
01-08-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by HaloMasterVI
Exactly man!

i also agree. besides, isn't every game BETTER on the xbox? take a look at madden or fever... i think that answers it all. ******* THAT PUBLICITY!

Cloud Strife
01-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Knight

They didn't say that before XBox, then they sayed it was graphics that come first! They kept telling me my Dreamcast was no good because the graphics weren't as good as Playstation 2's. Now I tell them Xbox is more powerful and they say graphics don't matter anymore.

FuNkY mOnK
01-08-2003, 06:19 PM
They kept telling me my Dreamcast was no good because the graphics weren't as good as Playstation 2's. Now I tell them Xbox is more powerful and they say graphics don't matter anymore.
i wish i never sold my DC :(

Stormlord
01-08-2003, 07:35 PM
They kept telling me my Dreamcast was no good because the graphics weren't as good as Playstation 2's. Now I tell them Xbox is more powerful and they say graphics don't matter anymore.

LOL. Yeah they're always gonna be like that. They can't face the fact that PS2 isn't perfect. Even my MOM told me don't waste your time with PS2 when it was first coming out. She told me to get the Gamecube or X-Box because on paper they sounded better than the PS2 (I got all the next gen systems) and they are. It just shows that someone who knows nothing about gaming knew that X-Box and GC were going to be better. :cool: :) ;) :rolleyes: :D

Qbas
01-08-2003, 07:44 PM
But still i cannot understand how the hell PS2 is crushing both Xbox and GC in sales, maybe Nintendo and MS should join up and make a "GameBox" to compete with PS3 then :D

Stormlord
01-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Qbas
But still i cannot understand how the hell PS2 is crushing both Xbox and GC in sales, maybe Nintendo and MS should join up and make a "GameBox" to compete with PS3 then :D

If you notice they only mention the sales in Japan. Of course Ps2 is winning but the Gameboy Advance is making the PS2 its biotch. Plus X-Box has sold more in 1 year than the PS2 did in 1 year. X-Box practically owns the North American and European market. Plus XB made it to Mexico so it probably should do well there as well.:cool: :) :D ;)

Qbas
01-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Stormlord

If you notice they only mention the sales in Japan. Of course Ps2 is winning but the Gameboy Advance is making the PS2 its biotch. Plus X-Box has sold more in 1 year than the PS2 did in 1 year. X-Box practically owns the North American and European market. Plus XB made it to Mexico so it probably should do well there as well.:cool: :) :D ;)
Analysts said that Sony sold 6 million PS2's in Europe this year. :eek:

Stormlord
01-08-2003, 08:30 PM

Analysts said that Sony sold 6 million PS2's in Europe this year. :eek:

They also said that X-Box was in higher demand than the PS2 when X-Box had the 2 games and the new Controller S in the bundle.:eek: :cool: :D :)

Qbas
01-08-2003, 08:32 PM

They also said that X-Box was in higher demand than the PS2 when X-Box had the 2 games and the new Controller S in the bundle.:eek: :cool: :D :)
Damn it i didn't get the Controller S in my bundle, but even with the bundle PS2 sells like hot cakes in ever country soon every man, woman, child will have a PS2 :confused:

Stormlord
01-08-2003, 08:37 PM

Damn it i didn't get the Controller S in my bundle, but even with the bundle PS2 sells like hot cakes in ever country soon every man, woman, child will have a PS2 :confused:

:D ;) :) I hope not.

Cloud Strife
01-08-2003, 08:40 PM

Damn it i didn't get the Controller S in my bundle, but even with the bundle PS2 sells like hot cakes in ever country soon every man, woman, child will have a PS2 :confused: Not really. I know some people that absolutely refuse to buy Sony. There are several that refuse to buy from Microsoft also.

y2kash_14
01-08-2003, 09:17 PM
Splinter Cell was always announced as a multi-platform game :rolleyes:

FuNkY mOnK
01-09-2003, 07:36 AM

I know for sure that in a few years xbox will be as popular as Sony's console is today, it's already working on the american and European market and it's only year one. We have the hard core gamer now we need to tell the casual gamers that theres nothing wrong with change.

Insane Jester
01-09-2003, 07:52 AM
this is getting boring now ...

FuNkY mOnK
01-09-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Insane Jester
this is getting boring now ...
theres only one cure for this...Play Xbox! :)

xboxman_1
01-09-2003, 04:24 PM
I can liven this up a bit...

watch gamespot give the pos2 version a whole 1.0 higher than the xbox one. mark my word.

Maybe, for the 90th time, they will give it higher because they have to review games BASED ON OTHER GAMES ON THE PLATFORM. In other words, a mediocre game on xbox might be stellar on PS2.

Now, if you look at the Resident Evil graphics on Gamecube and the Resident Evil Online graphics for PS2 you see a difference. And I'm sure that you will see a major difference in Splinter Cells too. Do you know why? Because they built them on the more powerful system and downgraded for the weaker one. Funny how that happens... huh? Oh yeah... look at Wreckless. The gameplay sucked but it was pretty well shown that graphics wise... the PS2 version blew...

Hmmm...don't mean to defend the PS2 here, I just want to dissipate some errors....maybe the PS2 version looks worse because its graphics are not CG, 2-D backgrounds like the GCN games? In layman's terms, the backgrounds in RE for GCN are "movies," that you can't interact with, and in RE Online, they are 3-d. I might be wrong on that...it's just a thought. Also, they may look worse because that game isn't very far in development, while the GCN games are already done and finished with.

Insane Jester
01-09-2003, 05:14 PM
theres only one cure for this...Play Xbox!

to right .. and play the box i have :)

carlbme
01-09-2003, 05:39 PM
It'll be interesting to see SC on a PS2. I already have it on X-Box but to see this game ported to another system I'd prefer Gamecube. GC does have the power to be a little comparible to XB. But it would have been cool if the L600 was released. It was the only console (from the specs) that could actually match the X-Box. But it would a little less powerful becauseit would have had an AMD Duron 600 mhz. Only an Athlon can meet or beat a Pentium. :) :cool: :eek: :rolleyes:

This much is true...in SOME cases. The Duron has been known to out perform a similarly clocked PIII in some benchmarks. Oh, and the Xbox actually has a celeron in it instead of the PIII (has 128K of L2 cache). In which case the Duron would have the power to smoke the Celeron.

Stormlord
01-09-2003, 05:44 PM
We should be the first to get Splinter Cell 2 (yes it's possible if you've seen the end of the game).:cool: :) :D ;)

Stormlord
01-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by carlbme

This much is true...in SOME cases. The Duron has been known to out perform a similarly clocked PIII in some benchmarks. Oh, and the Xbox actually has a celeron in it instead of the PIII (has 128K of L2 cache). In which case the Duron would have the power to smoke the Celeron.

For real? :eek: :confused: . I didn't know that. Where did you hear about it having a Celeron?:confused:

Qbas
01-09-2003, 05:56 PM

For real? :eek: :confused: . I didn't know that. Where did you hear about it having a Celeron?:confused:
I heard that Xbox has somekind of hybrid processor, is that true?

Cesar902
01-10-2003, 12:07 AM
let it come to Ps2 it will help the xbox to be seen as the superior console, cause the PS2 version will look like crap, then you will have the perfect example of xbox against PS2, plus even if they get extra levels we will be able to ge more through Xbox live!!!:cool:

Qbas
01-10-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Cesar902
let it come to Ps2 it will help the xbox to be seen as the superior console, cause the PS2 version will look like crap, then you will have the perfect example of xbox against PS2, plus even if they get extra levels we will be able to ge more through Xbox live!!!:cool:
But sadly not everyone can get those extra levels, because not everyone has broadband :(

Stormlord
01-10-2003, 06:46 AM

But sadly not everyone can get those extra levels, because not everyone has broadband :(

If you don't have broadband you're in luck. OXM has made a deal with Ubi Soft to release the brand new levels through their monthly demo disk. Of course you have to pay but hey, it'll add replay value to Splinter Cell and there would be great demos of games to come. :cool: :D :) ;)

Qbas
01-10-2003, 07:09 AM

If you don't have broadband you're in luck. OXM has made a deal with Ubi Soft to release the brand new levels through their monthly demo disk. Of course you have to pay but hey, it'll add replay value to Splinter Cell and there would be great demos of games to come. :cool: :D :) ;)

I have broadband but Live function isn't here, i think it will arrive here end of this year :( , but it would be great that OXM made possible to those people that doesn't have broadband the possibility to have extra levels, features etc. in their Demo discs.

jabrre
01-10-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Cesar902

This is exactly one of the reasons why I will be getting a XBOX system soon. I love the SC game when I played a demo version of it at EB and I will not settle for a crap version of it with the PS2 or even the Cube.

One thing I am thankful for: Microsoft making the Halo game. (Halo will be the first game I will buy when I buy the console soon. I played the game at a friend's house and was blown away. I cannot wait for Halo 2!!! )Imagine what Halo would look like if it was made by a diff company and released to PS2 and even the Cube!!:eek:

Cesar902
01-10-2003, 04:04 PM
but hey!, if you have a friend that has Xbox like you can always take your xbox to your friend house ask him to log in from your xbox, which it won't cost any money from both of you to that, Download the Extra Level and your set, but if you can't do this you can always get Official Xbox Magazine and get the level from there, sure you are going to pay for subscription to the magazine, but you also will be getting, Demos of other games, reviews and goodies like that, well this is only my opinion!