PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft enemy offers $200,000 to hackers to crack the xbox

Chandlz
01-04-2003, 04:16 AM
Interesting article I just read.
http://news.yahoo.com/fc?tmpl=fc&cid=34&in=tech&cat=hackers_and_crackers

Motley
01-04-2003, 04:22 AM
Thats pretty pathetic. And I'm surprised it's not illegal, but what do I know.

Kraft
01-04-2003, 04:34 AM
Wow... just think. I could run linux on my Xbox! Wait, I've been running linux on my computers for the past 10 years. If this moron wants to give away 200k of his own money for a project that is completely worthless, more power to him. Xbox with linux = a regular computer with cooler controllers.

Black 01 gtp
01-04-2003, 04:57 AM
That challenge has been out for quite some time. Interesting theory, perfectly legal. They aren't using the XBox SDK so there's no wrong doing. At the moment, it's possible but with undesirable mods(Plus, you need to trash one or two of your controller ports to run the right peripheals.) I think down the road they are hoping to achieve a Lindows bootdisk which would be more ideal because you could keep swapping back and forth from lindows to xbox games. It's an interesting project, there are already even lindow's games out there, however, they aren't the best [;)]

I've been following this project for quite some time, the guy just wanted to drive the programmers more, hence the award. If you got it, why not spend it?

speedbuggy76
01-04-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA
Wow... just think. I could run linux on my Xbox! Wait, I've been running linux on my computers for the past 10 years. If this moron wants to give away 200k of his own money for a project that is completely worthless, more power to him. Xbox with linux = a regular computer with cooler controllers.

You can't compare this to a computer that's been running Linux for 10 years because of the price differece. It'll probably cost you $500 for a PC with the power of the xbox, so if they can buy a $200 xbox, put linux on it, and use it as a server, they gain $300. So they're just trying to spend less, even though it's got to look kind of odd running a server from this small (compared to the PC they would be using) black box to serve your entire business. And if they wanted to go illegal, they could mod it and install a 100 gig harddrive and upgrade to an ata100 cable for faster transfer.