PDA

View Full Version : "In-Game" vs. "CG" Character 'Discrepancy' ---> WHY?

Cannibal Corpse
01-04-2003, 07:23 AM
I have yet to play a game that the main character (or any of its other NPC ones for that matter) looks exactly the same as when he/she is in the CG segment of the game.

Case in example:

Resident Evil Remake and 0 on GameCube
(neither "in-game" Rebecca nor Billy look remotely similar to their CG counterparts)

Ryagar (PS2)
The "in-game" main character (Rygar) looks like a 16 years old teenager, but when you see him in CG, he looks like he's in late 40's

And many many more games...

Is it TOO HARD to model them so they look alike? I mean we are not talking about a real life characters and their CG counterparts, (although the designers of LORD OF THE RINGS: TWO TOWERS did a decent job on ARAGORN and LEGALOS, but horrible on GIMLI though)

Your insights, comments are greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!

Insane Jester
01-04-2003, 09:20 AM
I would imagine it is hard to do ... but just think one day soon we will be playing games with cg graphics wowweee ...

J Dub
01-04-2003, 01:14 PM
I think they did a good job on Fisher in Splinter Cell.

EHWfedPres
01-04-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Cannibal Corpse
I have yet to play a game that the main character (or any of its other NPC ones for that matter) looks exactly the same as when he/she is in the CG segment of the game.

Case in example:

(neither "in-game" Rebecca nor Billy look remotely similar to their CG counterparts)

Ryagar (PS2)
The "in-game" main character (Rygar) looks like a 16 years old teenager, but when you see him in CG, he looks like he's in late 40's

And many many more games...

Is it TOO HARD to model them so they look alike? I mean we are not talking about a real life characters and their CG counterparts, (although the designers of LORD OF THE RINGS: TWO TOWERS did a decent job on ARAGORN and LEGALOS, but horrible on GIMLI though)

Your insights, comments are greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!

I really dont care about those games...resident evil was old in the middle of the second game and nothing has changed since then, and rygar does nothing to impress me and will not hold my interest longer than 2 hours...so oh well.

Shadow20002
01-04-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Insane Jester
I would imagine it is hard to do ... but just think one day soon we will be playing games with cg graphics wowweee ...

Just to let you know, there are already one game coming to PC that support fully the CG Kit. Check this out:
http://www.puissancepc.com/n/gen/n7412.html

Dre
01-04-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Shadow20002

Just to let you know, there are already one game coming to PC that support fully the CG Kit. Check this out:
http://www.puissancepc.com/n/gen/n7412.html

These people weren't talking about the CG language from Nvidia, they were talking CG "computer generated" graphics such as the Final Fantasy movie. That game in the article did look cool though :>

xboxman_1
01-04-2003, 03:02 PM
I think they did a good job on Fisher in Splinter Cell.

It appears to me that the cut scenes in SC were done with the in-game engine, not CG....so thats why they look crappy compared to other CG.

I think they look a lot like their CG counterparts...the CG is just more detailed, obviously.

MerimacHamwich
01-04-2003, 03:28 PM
Why don't they look anything alike? Becuase the system itself cannot render graphics anywhere close as good as the Computer Generated (pre-rendered) visuals. They cannot do this becuase of the system hardware. Pre-Rendered or CG graphics are not being generated by the system itself like ingame graphics. In fact they were generated on several "super" computers or one really good one and then imported to the software. So the game console doesn't do anything but display the movie of the CG scene. No different than your television and a TV broadcast. Which is why CG graphics mean nothing about how good a system is. The CG characters are usually what the Dev's wanted the in game characters to look like. Except the Dev's were either not good enough to make those kind of visuals or else the system hardware isn't good enough to render graphics anywhere close to the CG. That is the reason why you see way more CG cutscenes in Playstation games and more ingame cutscenes in Xbox games.

The xbox can generate good enough graphics that they don't have to try and wow you with CG. Whereas the PS2 has graphics that are far from impressive so they throw in alot of cutscenes with CG visuals.

LynxFX
01-04-2003, 03:54 PM
It is also because most of the time it is two different people doing the ingame graphics and the prerendered graphics. Even with a common drawing they both can get off a bit due to their own restricted environments.

RadRider
01-05-2003, 01:35 AM
so thats why they look crappy compared to other CG*cough* personal taste. :P
Okay, so maybe the poly counts aren't as high in Splinter Cell's graphics as compared to CG in other games, but those lighting effects and shadows are just as good as any CG.

BCan
01-05-2003, 05:31 AM
It is one thing the XBOX can do, the active lighting....

They made mention of it in a game review on TechTV and wondered how other games have failed to make use of the active lighting that is an option without a large performance hit on the XBOX....

Then again, how many of the games are actually originally PS2 projects that got shifted.......

Sometimes when they do the pre-rendered movie, or artwork, it changes through out the life of development, obviously one of them failed to get changed.....