PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Disk Errors

Brando131
01-04-2003, 08:42 PM
Since I got new games for the xbox i've been getting dirty disk errors making me have to open the dvd drive and put it back in for the game to work. It started with NHL 2003 Hitz and now it's happening with Moto GP. I've had Moto GP for 3 days now and i think that i have recieved the DDE 30 times!! My brother has called xbox support 3 times now and everytime they tell him that he'll have to pay $110 to get it fixed. Of course he said no. He told them that they screwed up and that it should be fixed for free. The third time he called he got someone who had some clue of what he was doing, and he wrote up a report on what was happening. At www.xbox.com there is a thread which has like 650 post on people having the same problems. My brother told the guy that he was talking to that they should check their forums. Anyway...I was wondering if anyone here has been getting the same problems (The problems are with the first generation xboxs)?????

FuNkY mOnK
01-04-2003, 08:56 PM
I had a few tonight while playing Baldurs gate never happened before, but i have the two year warranty and getting a new one tomorrow.

Cloud Strife
01-04-2003, 09:15 PM
I use to get them all the time before I got my Xbox repaired a few weeks ago. Now my Xbox works much nicer since they replaced the DVD drive for free.;)

Dabomb
01-04-2003, 09:37 PM
I used to only get it a couple of times but scine I got some new games for xbox there has been many more DDE!

BCan
01-04-2003, 09:41 PM
Perhaps there is dust on the lens. Use a "Dry" lens cleaner to clean it, one that has brushes, and not liquid....

Ryan Sanders
01-04-2003, 11:10 PM
Happens to me constantly and Xbox told me they would fix it for free. I called last night, I will get the box on the 9th and send it to get it repaired and back to me on the 18th. Everything is free.

SlightlySycho
01-04-2003, 11:15 PM
Been happening to me alot recently. I got Metal Gear Solid 2 for Christmas, and I can't tell you how many times I've lossed a couple missions because I got a Dirty Disk Error.

What's a good lens cleaner? And what's involved in the cleaning? I'd appreciate any information, thanks.:)

BCan
01-04-2003, 11:19 PM
Sounds to me like the early DVD drives weren't overly reliable, and have since changed them.... Or that they play up in certain conditions..

I usually get the equivalent of a Dirty Disc Error when putting in some DVD's, but then I turn it off and back on, and it's all fine..

Then again, I would rather use the stand alone DVD player I have, since it has a better picture quality than the XBOX.....

GokuX
01-04-2003, 11:46 PM
I've got a launch day Xbox and have only gotten 1 DD due to a severly scratched Halo disc I rented. My Xbox has seen countless hours of game play and DVD play. Guess the DD problem is a bullet, some get hit some don't. I've never used any lens cleaners or disc cleaning kits other than my shirt.

ARONO129
01-05-2003, 02:48 AM
I'm sure if I asked my wife she would make a dust cover for my Xbox but wouldn't it be a good idea if a company started making professional ones? It would eliminate dust from getting in when the console is not being used?

robnyack
01-05-2003, 08:44 AM
first thing everyone has to realize, is calling customer support is like a crap shoot. You never know what retard you are going to get to answer your call....and from my experience with dealing with xbox support.....there are way too many clueless people answering the phones.

BUT, having said that, if you are lucky enough, and connect with the right person, they can be very helpful. I think ubisoft (Ghost Recon) issued a statement about dirty disk erros and said i effect that microsoft would fix the problem for free. Now, many people call and are told "$110, please" over and over, but if you keep calling, sooner or later you will get someone who can get you going to the right channels to get your xbox fixed for free.

It's a pain in the butt, but, unless you want to plunk down $199 for a new xbox, this is the road you must travel.

Actually, what I am thinking of doing is trading my xbox in (It's a launch day xbox) and applying whatever they give me for it to a new xbox. I get dirty disk errors, but not to the point where it drives me nuts. But, I would not want it to get any worse!

Fossil8752
01-05-2003, 10:42 AM
I've been getting multiple dirty disc errors in MotoGP, Ghost Recon, MGS2:S, as well as MechAssault. It's ridiculous.

Most of the games I get them online and offline. Ghost Recon is virtually unplayable because of the DDEs. So I emailed MS support, I went into chat, and they didn't know anything. So finally I decided to call support.

The guy asked for my serial number and yada yada, he said that it didn't come up as being registered. I told him I registered a while ago, so he said that it might just not be coming up. So he had me register over the phone. Then he said that it was still under warranty (which it's not, but hey, free repair), so he said that that they would repair it for free. I gave him everything they needed to know, and the next day I got a box in the mail to put my Xbox in. I'm packing it up soon and I'll send it out today or tomorrow.

Hopefully they will get it fixed for me.

I would call again if I were you. Tell them that the games are virtually unplayable and you aren't satisfied. But don't be rude, you want to be nice so they fix it for free, lol.

By the way, if you get it to be fixed for free, I would save important things to a memory card just in case. I don't want to risk losing my XBL account and important game saves etc.

Brando131
01-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Well I see that a bunch of you got it fixed for free, but i guess we haven't got the ONE person who knows what they're doing yet. I said that they are making us pay $110 but they told us that was a discount! and that we didn't have to pay shipping and handling. If you tally those on you might as well just buy a new xbox. ahhhhhhh. We're just sick of calling them and getting the same crap over and over!!!

ARONO129
01-05-2003, 02:36 PM
My wife used to work in a call centre. Companies farm out their work. When they answer at Xbox support that may be one of two or three campaigns they are working on. Sometimes you get someone that doesn't know or care. Sometimes when you ask for the supervisor you don't even get the supervisor just a co-worker who says they are.

FuNkY mOnK
01-05-2003, 04:01 PM
Ok, don't quote me on this but today i called eb to see if they had any xbox so i could return mine under the two year warranty, while i'm on the phone he ask whats wrong i say dd error he says that MS as sent out a memo that playing Halo for two hours straight will fix this error. i said gimme a new fcukin xbox young man you play Halo and let me know how it turned out.

canadianboi3
01-05-2003, 04:43 PM
would i need to show receipt if i were to need to get mine fixed from ms??

canadianboi3
01-05-2003, 04:44 PM
and do they inspect your system before buying a warranty?? cuz if mine broke i would buy a warranty, then have them fix it:cool:

FuNkY mOnK
01-05-2003, 09:04 PM
At this point you have nothing to lose, but i could tell you what i heard some guys do. they buy an xbox from sears or kmart take out the insides and replace it with theirs and bring it back for a full refund. i do not advocate this sh it i don't know why i even brought it up?

EHWfedPres
01-05-2003, 09:14 PM
I've gotten way too many today while playing 4 different games...but I am NOT replacing my Xbox...way too many hours spent on save games that I do not want to lose...can they repair it and keep your saves on there?

Cloud Strife
01-05-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
I've gotten way too many today while playing 4 different games...but I am NOT replacing my Xbox...way too many hours spent on save games that I do not want to lose...can they repair it and keep your saves on there? I had mine repaired a few weeks ago for free and my data saves were intact. I had my friend bring over his memory card to save my games just in case.;)

FuNkY mOnK
01-05-2003, 09:21 PM
I've gotten way too many today while playing 4 different games...but I am NOT replacing my Xbox...way too many hours spent on save games that I do not want to lose...can they repair it and keep your saves on there?
I had the same problem, so this morning i went and purchased 3 pre-owned mem cards and transfered everything including my live account . sooner or later you will have to go this route.

Cloud Strife
01-05-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK

I had the same problem, so this morning i went and purchased 3 pre-owned mem cards and transfered everything including my live account . sooner or later you will have to go this route. You should have got your's repaired when I started the thread about Microsoft is fixing Xbox's for free.

pieceofmind83
01-06-2003, 01:17 PM
i have had dirty disk errors so much that i couldn't play any games,so i took my xbox to gamestop and traded it in for the bundle and had to pay $99 extra and some tax. it's cheaper then sending it to MS plus you get your xbox right away!
maybe you should do the same?

Chillncichock
01-06-2003, 02:39 PM
you can buy this thing that can clean the inside laser so it can read the disk easier:cool:

EHWfedPres
01-06-2003, 03:33 PM
well many dirty disc errors are caused by a dirty lens...I ran a lens cleaner (dry brush) thru after deathrow was freezing all the time, and it's ran fine ever since...until yesterday, but its probably just dirt again.

I suggest everyone with problems use a dry brush lens cleaner and see if they helps. Run in thru 2 or 3 times in a row and then see if theres any problems...and then if you experience no problems, ran the lens cleaner thru every day and night to be sure. It only takes a minute or so, and the music is fun to rip onto your harddrive and listen to while beating people to death in deathrow. :D

pieceofmind83
01-06-2003, 03:58 PM
well many dirty disc errors are caused by a dirty lens...I ran a lens cleaner (dry brush) thru after deathrow was freezing all the time, and it's ran fine ever since...until yesterday, but its probably just dirt again.

I suggest everyone with problems use a dry brush lens cleaner and see if they helps. Run in thru 2 or 3 times in a row and then see if theres any problems...and then if you experience no problems, ran the lens cleaner thru every day and night to be sure. It only takes a minute or so, and the music is fun to rip onto your harddrive and listen to while beating people to death in deathrow. :D

i did all that,it sadly didn't fix it.
maybe i'm one unlucky s.o.b! :mad:

Spaztic
01-06-2003, 04:15 PM
I got my xbox at launch have only had a few dirty disk errors, but that was because (gasp) the disk was dirty!

Ryan Sanders
01-06-2003, 04:49 PM
They are still fixing for free.. But I took mine back to Wal Mart today and it works perfect.. and got 2 games with it too. Xbox People told me mine needed repaired so it wasn't the lens.

SlightlySycho
01-06-2003, 09:18 PM
Well, there's probably more to it that problems with an early model XBox. Let's be honest here: how many of us have a nice layer of dust on their XBox? It's not your fault; Black consoles seem to draw dust like a magnet. My Genesis did it, my N64 did it, and now my XBox is doing it. Not a day goes by that I don't wish MS had gone with the silver body instead.:(

Anyways, I'd like to repeat my last questions: What's the name of a good lens cleaner, and where can I buy it? I'd appreciate any advice anyone could offer.

Cloud Strife
01-06-2003, 09:21 PM
I'm a little concerened about running a lens cleaner through my Xbox. I don't want to harm my system at all.

I know that I'm getting annoying today.

GokuX
01-06-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
I'm a little concerened about running a lens cleaner through my Xbox. I don't want to harm my system at all.

I know that I'm getting annoying today.

Well I'd never run a CD lens cleaner on my Xbox as a form of preventative maintenance.

Heavens Gate
01-07-2003, 03:12 AM
I've been a tech for 5 years and worked on alot of electronic gadgets. Try these solutions and post results:

Unplug your xbox from the wall outlet until you get the clock setup. Simply turning it off won't do. It resets the microprocessor.

Every Xbox hard drive has a format command you can obtain from 18004myxbox. input it at the system info screen. Understand that this wipes your hard drive clean and resets it to the factory settings, so any important info you have on it should be backed up to a memory unit.

Unplug everything from the Xbox. Then plug it in in this order.
composite cable
controllers
dvd playback
power cord
do this after you leave your xbox unplugged overnight and get the clock screen.

In almost all cases, one of the above, especially NO. 1 or 2 fixes the problem.
Good luck

BTW, NEVER USE A LENS CLEANER. IT'S VERY ABRASIVE TO THE PROTECTIVE CAP ON THE LENS:eek:

Insane Jester
01-08-2003, 10:16 AM
Damn it peeps when will you all learn .... :D ... a quick wipe of the disc's b4 u put them in the box or anything keeps the lazer nice ... i got my box on day 1 of u.k launch ... and only once ever (a game rented from blockbuster) did i get a disc dirty message.. when i looked at the dvd it looked like a ice skateing rink ... at no other time have i had any trouble with my machines ...

"no insult meant in the opening line"

Cloud Strife
01-20-2003, 06:56 PM
Now I'm really ticked. I just got my Xbox fixed in mid December and I just got a Dirt Disc Error earlier today when trying to play Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex.:mad: The second time, the game did work but it was having trouble loading up. If my Xbox keeps this up, I'm am seriously going to stop supporting it. Maybe I'll buy a game once in a while but not often. My GC, Playstation 2, and Dreamcast have given me no problems. My Xbox is my favorite system and it's giving me problems. I can even hear my Xbox making clicking noises right now and the system is turned off. It even makes those annoing clicks at night.:( I have even had a little trouble with PD Orta loading up and its a brand new game. Luckily, I do have a 60 day repair warranty and the days aren't up yet.

Sorry I had to say this everyone but this is really starting to get on my nerves. I get my Xbox fixed and I'm starting to have problems again. This explains why can't get Xbox Live.

Chillncichock
01-20-2003, 07:05 PM
Make they didnt fix it right the first time :eek:

Cloud Strife
01-20-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Chillncichock
Make they didnt fix it right the first time :eek: Oh they did fix it. My Xbox sounds and loaded up in a different way so I know they repaired it. They even said so also. The only reason why I don't really want to send it in again is because I think it's silly to send a system back in to get repaired one month after I got it fixed.:(

EHWfedPres
01-20-2003, 07:19 PM
Now I'm really ticked. I just got my Xbox fixed in mid December and I just got a Dirt Disc Error earlier today when trying to play Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex.:mad: The second time, the game did work but it was having trouble loading up. If my Xbox keeps this up, I'm am seriously going to stop supporting it. Maybe I'll buy a game once in a while but not often. My GC, Playstation 2, and Dreamcast have given me no problems. My Xbox is my favorite system and it's giving me problems. I can even hear my Xbox making clicking noises right now and the system is turned off. It even makes those annoing clicks at night.:( I have even had a little trouble with PD Orta loading up and its a brand new game. Luckily, I do have a 60 day repair warranty and the days aren't up yet.

Sorry I had to say this everyone but this is really starting to get on my nerves. I get my Xbox fixed and I'm starting to have problems again. This explains why can't get Xbox Live.

One dirty disc error is nothing, perhaps there was a little fuzz on the disc or something...just turn off your xbox and try again. That happens to me all the time, and I can 99% of the time fix it by turning it off and back on again. I played Quantum Redshift for about 5 hours straight last night with no problems, sometimes I play Halo system link all night long with my xbox on for about 12 hours straight, no problems with that. Some discs may be faulty, like the original Dreamcast game discs, remember that problem? Yet you still support them. I can play nearly any game without problems, except NHL Hitz 2003...its hit or miss with that game. Sometimes it freezes every time I try to play it, sometimes I can play 8 games in a row with no problems...but only with that game.

Also, I used a disc cleaner before when Deathrow kept freezing up on me, and after I ran the disc cleaner thru, it worked fine ever since. ;)

Cloud Strife
01-20-2003, 07:34 PM
One dirty disc error is nothing, perhaps there was a little fuzz on the disc or something...just turn off your xbox and try again. That happens to me all the time, and I can 99% of the time fix it by turning it off and back on again. I played Quantum Redshift for about 5 hours straight last night with no problems, sometimes I play Halo system link all night long with my xbox on for about 12 hours straight, no problems with that. Some discs may be faulty, like the original Dreamcast game discs, remember that problem? Yet you still support them. I can play nearly any game without problems, except NHL Hitz 2003...its hit or miss with that game. Sometimes it freezes every time I try to play it, sometimes I can play 8 games in a row with no problems...but only with that game.

Also, I used a disc cleaner before when Deathrow kept freezing up on me, and after I ran the disc cleaner thru, it worked fine ever since. ;) I am a little affraid to use a disc cleaner because I don't want to mess up my Xbox. My Xbox has actually worked very well since I got it repaired. It's just that I kept hearing the disc stop and go over and over again. I did play Gun Valkyrie for two hours straight on Friday and my Xbox didn't give me any problems. If it does, I'm sending it back in.

My Xbox also seems to be the loudest system I own.

Grand Master
01-20-2003, 10:55 PM
if you send your xbox to microsoft to get the drives swaped out, how does it usually take to get back? i just don't want to send it back and have to wait forever to get it back.

EHWfedPres
01-21-2003, 11:15 AM

My Xbox also seems to be the loudest system I own.
I think the ps2 sounds the loudest...especially my friends Dave Mirra 2 disc with the blockbuster sticker on it...HOLY CRAP, that thing spins are rapid rife speeds, its insane.:eek:

Cloud Strife
01-21-2003, 11:26 AM
I think the ps2 sounds the loudest...especially my friends Dave Mirra 2 disc with the blockbuster sticker on it...HOLY CRAP, that thing spins are rapid rife speeds, its insane.:eek: Was it a CD game? Playstation 2 DVD games are quiet but the CD games are more noisy. But, my Xbox's fan is very loud compared to all my systems. Even my Dreamcast. Blockbusters sitckers make my Xbox sound even worse.

It took me four days to get my Xbox back. I sent it in on a Monday and received it on Friday.;)

darianX
01-21-2003, 12:37 PM
I went to the support section of xbox.com and used that live chat thing and asked about using a lens cleaner on the Xbox....he said it is perfectly fine to use on our beloved 'boxes. I used one in the past and boy did games load quicker after that. As for the dirty disc error....if it gets to the point where almost every game does it, just call them and have it fixed. Mine was back after 4 days with a brand new drive in it. I do believe there was a problem with the "first gen" DVD drives though.

Cloud Strife
01-22-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by darianX
I went to the support section of xbox.com and used that live chat thing and asked about using a lens cleaner on the Xbox....he said it is perfectly fine to use on our beloved 'boxes. I used one in the past and boy did games load quicker after that. As for the dirty disc error....if it gets to the point where almost every game does it, just call them and have it fixed. Mine was back after 4 days with a brand new drive in it. I do believe there was a problem with the "first gen" DVD drives though. Already have had my Xbox fixed, but I've been getting DDE again.

I'm really ticked again at my Xbox. I played Panzer Dragoon Orta today. When I went to start new game, I got a DDE message. I've only played the game two times and I got one.:mad: I'm also angry because yesterday, when I beat Gun Valkyrie. When I went to challenge mode to play redo my score in the first level, the music kept making funny noises and it kept stopping and going on me so I had to turn it off. My Xbox is making clicking sounds right now and I don't even have it on. My Xbox's fan seems to be louder than ever right now.

I'm not bashing the Xbox, I'm just really mad because I got mine fixed a week ago and I'm having trouble again. I keep excellent care of my things. I treat them like they were my kids.;) I never had a DDE with my GC, DC, and PS2. If my Xbox continues to do this, I can no longer purchase live and I'll have to cut my support down 95%. My systems have to work for me to support them.;)

Cloud Strife
01-26-2003, 05:53 PM
I just played House of the Dead 3 and my Xbox froze on me. Luckily my Xbox didn't give me trouble when my friend was over playing Arctic Thunder with me yesterday. I am seriously ticked at my Xbox. I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm thinking that I should stop playing my Xbox for a while.:mad: My streak of 440 days in a row of playing Xbox will end.:(

SlightlySycho
01-26-2003, 09:22 PM
Getting ridiculous for me. I've been getting DDE's every five minutes (no joke). It's getting to the point where I almost can't play.:(

Please, where can I buy a DVD lens cleaner. I really don't have the first f**king clue. I'm sure it's dirty because every time I put in a disk it comes out with bits of dust on it. And no, I can't send it back to Microsoft for repairs because I simply don't have the money. Besides, I can't risk losing the information on my HD; I have over 200 tracks recorded. That would take days to re-record.

So, please, I would really appreciate it if somebody would tell me where I could buy a good DVD lens cleaner. THank you.

Snake Eyez
01-26-2003, 10:19 PM
A place like best buy should have dvd cleaners. Everyone seems to recommend the dry brush kind instead of moist ones. I only have a cd cleaner, but I don't know it that would work.

Here you go. http://www.bestbuy.com/Accessories/productListing.asp?m=1&cat=785&scat=814&sdesc=CD+%26+DVD+Cleaners%2FScratch+Repairers

Cloud Strife
01-27-2003, 06:58 PM
I may need to buy one because my Xbox froze for a long period of time today during Sega GT 2002. I could hear the system reboot itself.:( I have a CD lens cleaner but I don't know how it will work in DVD's. I don't really want to clean my drive because I never had to clean a videogame system in my life.

Chillncichock
01-27-2003, 07:58 PM
I talked to a guy at best buy said the lens cleaner **** should work fine send me back if it works

SlightlySycho
01-27-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Snake Eyez
A place like best buy should have dvd cleaners. Everyone seems to recommend the dry brush kind instead of moist ones. I only have a cd cleaner, but I don't know it that would work.

Here you go. http://www.bestbuy.com/Accessories/productListing.asp?m=1&cat=785&scat=814&sdesc=CD+%26+DVD+Cleaners%2FScratch+Repairers Thank you! This has been driving me insane. I'm glad to see they're only like twenty dollars, too. I was a little worried it'd be worth the same as a game.:confused:

Once again, thank you, Snake Eyez.:)

Snake Eyez
01-27-2003, 10:11 PM
No problem. I picked one up at Wal-Mart today and ran it through my Xbox. I got one from Panasonic that is a CD/DVD cleaner for electronics. On the package it even says safe to us on video games systems.

papa
03-18-2003, 10:03 AM
crapo