PDA

View Full Version : Sea Dogs II: The next morrowind OR crap???

xboxgamer142
01-07-2003, 07:31 AM
Most people will probably have heard of Bethesda Softworks' upcoming RPG-at-sea called Sea Dogs II, the sequel to the PC game.

(If you haven't go to the official Morrowind site and there will be a link on the right to the official Sea Dogs II site)

What I want to know is whether this game will be as good as Morrowind or will it simply be a bad RPG. There aren't any videos or trailers of it or are there? I heard that it won't be as big as Morrowind was and that you can't customize your character. However, personally from the looks of it, it could be good and worth getting. I trust Bethesda, since they did a good job, actually an excellent job, at Morrowind.

By the way, does anyone know the release date for Sea Dogs II, because EBGames says March 1, 2003, but I think that is false.

thedrisc
01-07-2003, 07:59 AM
I played the first sea dogs on the PC and it was a good game. It did have some problems though. Some quests could not be completed and other errors. It also lacked in the RPG aspect. There was not enough to do like morowind. The best part of the game was the sea battles. The ships looked awesome. You could have up to four ships in your fleet, which made for some really big battles. The game may not be as big a morriwind because it will probably be based on real maps but the potential for sea battles is infinite.

If they fix the errors and add half the quests that morrowind has it will be a great game. Which I think they will accomplish. I read an interview that they are designing the game on the Xbox first instead of PC first. Then they will take the Xbox version and work it into the PC.

EHWfedPres
01-07-2003, 11:59 AM
bethesda is notorious for making great games with many bugs...i think it will be good, but not as good as Morrowind.

kachingtensor
01-07-2003, 12:36 PM
I don't know, but it looks interesting.

My guess is that release of Sea Dogs II will probably be delayed a little past that March 1 date.

Bravo_2
01-07-2003, 04:41 PM
Better than Morrowind.

Cloud Strife
01-19-2003, 12:21 PM
I don't think it will be too good. It will be very buggy and the gameplay will be boring. I'll just see in a few months how it turns out.

EHWfedPres
01-20-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
I don't think it will be too good. It will be very buggy and the gameplay will be boring. I'll just see in a few months how it turns out.

But if Bethesda was a japaneese company, it would be a perfect game and loads of fun, right? :D

Cloud Strife
01-20-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
But if Bethesda was a japaneese company, it would be a perfect game and loads of fun, right? :D That's exactly right. It's just that I grew up on Japanese RPG games and that's what I like. Plus, I feel like I am a Japanese person in a way.;)

EHWfedPres
01-20-2003, 09:44 PM
I feel like I am a Japanese person in a way.;)

Well judging by the pics of yourself on your site, I wouldnt have ever guessed you werent japaneese...

Just kiddin :D Anyway, I love being able to go anywhere I want to and do whatever I want, whenever I want...developing my own story and characters...I think thats a LOT more fun that playing a linear game with pre-made characters...any day.

Cloud Strife
01-20-2003, 10:22 PM
Well judging by the pics of yourself on your site, I wouldnt have ever guessed you werent japaneese...

Just kiddin :D Anyway, I love being able to go anywhere I want to and do whatever I want, whenever I want...developing my own story and characters...I think thats a LOT more fun that playing a linear game with pre-made characters...any day. The truty was, before I showed the pics of myself, just about everyone here thought I was some rich asian. Did you think I was?

I actually like some open-minded games once in a while. It's just that games buy Sega, Konami, Namco, Capcom, and Hudson Soft take the highest priority.

EHWfedPres
01-21-2003, 11:45 AM
The truty was, before I showed the pics of myself, just about everyone here thought I was some rich asian. Did you think I was?

I actually like some open-minded games once in a while. It's just that games buy Sega, Konami, Namco, Capcom, and Hudson Soft take the highest priority.

I actually thought you were just like me at first...boy was I wrong. :D Although thats not a bad thing.

And I dont go buy what companies I like, I go by games. Some company may make a great game, but might also make a bunch of crap. Im looking forward to Sea Dos 2 cause its supposed to play alot like Morrowind, and I love that game.

Cloud Strife
01-21-2003, 01:33 PM
I actually thought you were just like me at first...boy was I wrong. :D Although thats not a bad thing.

And I dont go buy what companies I like, I go by games. Some company may make a great game, but might also make a bunch of crap. Im looking forward to Sea Dos 2 cause its supposed to play alot like Morrowind, and I love that game. You thought that I wore the Slayer t-shirts and wore jeans. Listened to the same music as you . Well, I do know several people like that at my old school.

Anyway, I think Sea Dogs II probably will be good. I'm not sure whether it will be as good as Morrowind because it's not getting the hype. I just hope the game is more polished up.;)

EHWfedPres
01-21-2003, 01:40 PM
You thought that I wore the Slayer t-shirts and wore jeans. Listened to the same music as you . Well, I do know several people like that at my old school.

I didnt mean clothes, I mean thinking style and all that stuff.

xboxgamer142
01-22-2003, 03:28 AM
Don't forget, Sea Dogs II will only be published by Bethesda. Sea Dogs II is currently being developed by a Russian game company called Akella, which also made the first Sea Dogs.

EHWfedPres
01-22-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by xboxgamer142
Don't forget, Sea Dogs II will only be published by Bethesda. Sea Dogs II is currently being developed by a Russian game company called Akella, which also made the first Sea Dogs.

Well at least we know the gameplay will resemble Morrowind in terms of free-roaming.....right?

preetz16
01-23-2003, 08:56 PM
It seems like it will be pretty free roaming. You can have complete control over your ship when at sea and complete freedom in dock.

The only thing that is a bit limiting is that you can't customize your charachter. You c an pick from two...Yeah it sucks, but hey it doesn't really matter so long as the gameplay is free. (Btw EHWfedPres, just because of my past rhetoric on these forums don't think that I love FF-type games over Morrowind-style. The truth is, now that I've tried Morrowind-style I'm not sure I ever want to go back to FF-style...but I still think they're RPGs :) )

Another thing that sort of sucks is that I don't know if you can really upgrade your ship...Hell, from the screens it isn't even clear if there's armor in the game.

Bottom line: It should be pretty cool. A Pirate RPG is very abnormal and something that holds great interest to me. I'll probably buy it, but I think KOTOR is coming out around the same time, so thats definetly higher on my list that Sea Dogs. I do hope the ability to build yourself up and accumulate wealth is included...

Cloud Strife
01-23-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by preetz16
It seems like it will be pretty free roaming. You can have complete control over your ship when at sea and complete freedom in dock.

The only thing that is a bit limiting is that you can't customize your charachter. You c an pick from two...Yeah it sucks, but hey it doesn't really matter so long as the gameplay is free. (Btw EHWfedPres, just because of my past rhetoric on these forums don't think that I love FF-type games over Morrowind-style. The truth is, now that I've tried Morrowind-style I'm not sure I ever want to go back to FF-style...but I still think they're RPGs :) )

Another thing that sort of sucks is that I don't know if you can really upgrade your ship...Hell, from the screens it isn't even clear if there's armor in the game.

Bottom line: It should be pretty cool. A Pirate RPG is very abnormal and something that holds great interest to me. I'll probably buy it, but I think KOTOR is coming out around the same time, so thats definetly higher on my list that Sea Dogs. I do hope the ability to build yourself up and accumulate wealth is included... There is a pirate RPG game. It is know as Skies of Arcadia and it's the best 3-D RPG game ever.

thedrisc
01-24-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by preetz16

The game is going to be based on ships that really existed. You can add more guns to a ship depending on its size. The way you really upgrade is to capture other ships that way you can get a bigger ship with more guns. Plus the bigger ship you have the more goods it will hold.

One of the ways to get a bigger is to grapple it and engage in hand-to-hand combat. That’s were your sword fighting skills will come in handy.

kachingtensor
01-30-2003, 10:25 AM
SOA is a great game. My Dreamcast and I had some fun with that one. :D However, just when it promises to get to the "next level" -- a truly free-roaming game, without all those very annoying random combats (you who've played it know what I mean) -- it ends.

I'm hoping for a very BIG Skies of Arcadia sequel, or prequel, for Xbox, a game that will use the hard drive to a fare thee well. It's probably a forlorn hope, but, whatever, Overworks...

I'm definitely interested in Sea Dogs 2. Best of luck to the people at Akellia on getting this game done soon. It'll be interesting to see how they implement the personal combat aspect.

TheCovenant
02-03-2003, 07:28 PM
I had no idea sea dogs 2 was being published by bethesda.......and developed by akella.

it looks very morrowind-y.........

best of luck to them, i still dont know if this game will be as great as morrowind though.....

kachingtensor
02-27-2003, 07:15 AM
I note the release date for North America has been pushed back to early May.

Oh, well...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!1!1111111!!lll!!!!!!!!!l1l!!!!!
:mad: :o :confused: :(

Master Gracey
03-04-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by kachingtensor
I note the release date for North America has been pushed back to early May.

Oh, well...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!1!1111111!!lll!!!!!!!!!l1l!!!!!
:mad: :o :confused: :(

That's quite alright with me... I think Morrowind is a great example of what happens when a game gets released a few months too early. There are several quests on the Xbox version that are unplayable because it's build 1.0 (Morag Tong grandmaster writs, Quarra vampire clan... need I say more?) All the problems were reported and fixed within 2 months through patches that you could download online. The last batch of patches came with Tribunal, the expansion pack. Perhaps more problems would have been noticed and fixed in-house with a few more months of testing, but they rushed the released and you have to have the PC version to get a fully playable game.

MerimacHamwich
03-05-2003, 12:40 AM
Sea Dog's 2 is not the same type of RPG as Morrowind is. However, I do expect it to be quite good.

Slayer02
03-05-2003, 04:13 PM
Sea Dogs 2 is now pushed back to May 1st, I think Bethesa did do this from their experience with Morrowind. Alls I can say is I would rather have a late fully working release than an early buggy release, this is very important due to there will most likely be no downloadable content option which means no bug fixes.