PDA

View Full Version : how long until xbox 2 hits us?

taylormanazn
01-08-2003, 06:55 PM
I wanna know how long I can enjoy my xbox before it's replaced...haha....oh yeah and...

do you think xbox games will be able to be played on xbox 2? sounds like a good precedent for future systems...anyway..peace

VenoM
01-08-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by taylormanazn
I wanna know how long I can enjoy my xbox before it's replaced...haha....oh yeah and...

do you think xbox games will be able to be played on xbox 2? sounds like a good precedent for future systems...anyway..peace

2005-2006 and yes

EHWfedPres
01-08-2003, 07:03 PM
hopefully not for another 3 years at least.

KnightX
01-08-2003, 07:06 PM
I think they're planning for release in 2005?

Microsoft surely will create to play all of our old Xbox discs - it sure did a lot for the PS2. It'll do a lot to lure non-Xbox owners into buying one by giving them the ability to play all the games we've already been enjoying.

Liquid Gears
01-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by taylormanazn

Those have been answered before, all you have to do is look :D

KnightX
01-08-2003, 07:40 PM
Thought so. I've seen a lot of talk about the Xbox Next and such in threads about the "name game".

Stormlord
01-08-2003, 07:41 PM
It's said that X-Box Next (awful name) would be released in 2005 before Playstation 3. But didn't Sony push up the release to 2004 because of X-Box? Oh well. But the next Xb should be XB2. Well XB2 should play older XB games. Just imagine Halo and Unreal Championship with better Frames per Second and full screen Anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering? Hopefully XB2 would have the power to handle that and keep the FPS up to speed.:cool: :) :D ;)

taylormanazn
01-08-2003, 10:23 PM
hey liquid...not exactly what I asked....thanks anyways though:D

Dark Enemy
01-09-2003, 01:25 AM
2005 or 2006 and it should be backward capability:)

No Fear 23
01-09-2003, 08:53 PM
possibly end of 2005, like prolly Nov. 15th :)

i just hope my xbox hangs on till that date:D i had my xbox for a year with no problems, now i have 2 or 3 more years left before X2 comes out

Cloud Strife
01-09-2003, 09:28 PM
No matter when it comes out, I'll buy it. I love buying new videogame systems.:D

RadRider
01-09-2003, 10:11 PM
It might be backward compatible, but that would be something wholly different from making the PS2 backward compatible. You see, the PS1 handled much of it's AI, Game Logic (Physics and such), and graphics all on the main CPU. Because of this, the PS2 with it's dedicated graphics and sound hardware, can also emulate the PS1 without much hassle, especially since the PS1 had a far weaker processor than the PS2 does.

The difference with the Xbox and Xbox 2 is that the Xbox has fully dedicated Graphics and Sound hardware, so in order to properly emulate the system, parallel hardware would have to be installed alongside the new hardware. Similar to pc's though, if Microsoft stick with Intel for the CPU on the next Xbox (they should have gone with Motorola, but then again, Microsoft refuse to even write a new OS for the new CPU Intel has been trying to produce for the last god-knows how many years), then the chances of games being backward compatible are much higher. Not for the same reasons that the PS2 can play PS1 games, but more for the same reasons new PC's can play games designed for older PC's. That is, similar hardware that is fully backward's compatible. ie., having a GPU that supports the Custom GeForce 3 code written for Xbox games, Sound hardware that supports the sound code written for the Xbox sound card, etc. For a lamen, it's the same thing, but I just wanted to point out that there is a lot more into making the next Xbox "NextBox" if you will, backward compatible.

jabrre
01-10-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
No matter when it comes out, I'll buy it. I love buying new videogame systems.:D

Especially for the bragging rights you'll have being the first in the neighborhood to have a XBOX Next. Even though I am gonna buy a XBOX system soon, I am already making plans to get the new XBOX Next when it gets released in 2005 or so.

Granted, the ones who buy the systems first are "guinea pigs", meaning that we are the ones that suffer through the bugs from the software and the hardware, but there is nothing more sweeter than having the latest and the greatest earlier than most of your friends!!

Cloud Strife
01-10-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by jabrre

Especially for the bragging rights you'll have being the first in the neighborhood to have a XBOX Next. Even though I am gonna buy a XBOX system soon, I am already making plans to get the new XBOX Next when it gets released in 2005 or so.

Granted, the ones who buy the systems first are "guinea pigs", meaning that we are the ones that suffer through the bugs from the software and the hardware, but there is nothing more sweeter than having the latest and the greatest earlier than most of your friends!! Oh yeah. When I would buy a new videogame system that no one has, I'll walk around my entire neighborhood holding the box and smiling.;)