PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Xbox in 2006?

Qbas
01-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Bill Gates hints at portable Xbox

At the Consumer Electronic Show, Bill Gates gave a key note speech based on portable technology. Gates told Reuters it would take at least three years to develop a portable video game device that built on the company's existing Xbox game console.

"It'll be several years, more like three years, before you could do something like an Xbox in a portable factor," he said.

I'm not sure how serious he is, but that is fairly hard to believe considering the size of the current Xbox. But if anyone can figure that out I'm certain it's Bill Gates and Microsoft.

Gamerfeed (http://www.gamerfeed.com)

RadRider
01-09-2003, 08:25 PM
Just because the xbox is big, doesn't mean a handheld would have all the same components. A handheld probably wouldn't have a hard drive in it.. But other than that, three years can bring a hell of a change in technology. Look at the jump from Voodoo 2 to GeForce FX. That was 6 years.

As for a handheld Xbox, chances are very low. Microsoft has already decided to develop game for the GBA rather than create their own portable handheld unit, so unless the next Xbox outsells every other system on the market, an Xbox handheld probably won't happen.

Qbas
01-09-2003, 08:30 PM
I agree, but hopefully Nokia could do some kind of effect in the handheld market with their phone"console".

Viper87227
01-09-2003, 09:54 PM
I dont really think the handheld market is open for competition. No one can match GBA, and if nintendo goes under, I doubt any other handhelds would really take off

ShannonX
01-10-2003, 12:04 AM
i dont think nintendo will go under anytime soon. They have a HUGE installed base on portable systems they own what, 98 - 99% of the handeld market? I know its some huge number, and thats pushing 100 - 150+ million handhelds easy. (counting gameboy, gameboy color, and gba)

Cesar902
01-10-2003, 12:15 AM
Unlikely but possible.

Liquid Gears
01-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Yeah, I agree. That's very unlikely. Nintendo hasn't even been able to pull off putting 64 bits on a handheld yet and Bill Gates is trying to put a 128 bit (or whatever XBox is) on one. Yeah right! I'll believe it when I see it.

Still, in 3 more years.......it might be pulled off.

Kortiz
01-10-2003, 02:04 AM
a lot can happen in 3 years. and if 3 years is not enough, pushing something back a year or two is not unheard of either.

within 5 years we will have Xbox graphics on a handheld.

Qbas
01-10-2003, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by ChickenSHHHH
a lot can happen in 3 years. and if 3 years is not enough, pushing something back a year or two is not unheard of either.

within 5 years we will have Xbox graphics on a handheld.
Or not

Insane Jester
01-10-2003, 08:06 AM
dont forget people in 2006 we will all be genetic freaks from the wars and the radiation fall out .. we will all be 16ft 400 pounds of sheer muscle (with rotting skin of course) and have 6 arms so we will be able to hold the xbox in one hand and a plasma screen t.v in the other so in theory we will have a hand held xbox .. ;)

Cloud Strife
01-10-2003, 08:38 AM
I hope Microsoft or even Sony makes a handheld. I'm getting tired of how Nintendo has handled the market. The best travel systems I ever had was the Game Gear and Sega Nomad. GBA doesn't come close to either in my opinion.

Laxeph
01-10-2003, 01:21 PM
GBA is 32 bit, but it doesn't have any games that comeclose to PSONE in graphics.

frog11983
01-10-2003, 01:39 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that in three years. Already, they aren't taking full advandage of portable power, just look at the Pocketpc's. They can pack a 400 mhz processor and a 1GB mirco drive. A portable xbox in THREE years wouldn't surprise me.

DIGITAL
01-10-2003, 02:32 PM
microsoft diidnt annouce a xbox handheld but just a handheld video game device that you can download games from the web without wires.it was on my local news last night.an they showed the hanheld it looks pretty cool ,but it didnt say anything about xbox!i think the handheld will be out at the end of 2003!

Insane Jester
01-10-2003, 03:04 PM
the best hand held was the atari lynx ( i think that was the name) had some real cool games with it ... ill have to fish it out and use it again i think ...

Bravo_2
01-10-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears
Yeah, I agree. That's very unlikely. Nintendo hasn't even been able to pull off putting 64 bits on a handheld yet and Bill Gates is trying to put a 128 bit (or whatever XBox is) on one. Yeah right! I'll believe it when I see it.

Still, in 3 more years.......it might be pulled off.

Well, I still think that first will come the 64 bit. Then the companies will wait a few years until revenue stops. The 128 bit will come in 2010, maybe.

Cloud Strife
01-12-2003, 07:28 PM
I'd buy an Xbox handheld in a second. Nintendo is making me angry by the way they handle the travel system market by not including a backlight instantly. That is why I miss Sega making travel systems.