PDA

View Full Version : Shenmue 3 is on the way but...

Shadow20002
01-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Bad news for fans of the ponderous, yet absorbing, adventure series that began life on Sega's Dreamcast. In an interview with an American games magazine, legendary designer Yu Suzuki has suggested that he'd like to take a "different approach" for Shenmue III - specifically, he wants to turn the next chapter into a CGI-only movie.

This is in line with prophecy of course, as Suzuki had previously stated that should sales of Shenmue II prove disappointing (as was the case), the series may well be wound up far earlier than it's original eleven-chapter plan entailed. Some sort of resolution would be expected however, as Shenmue II (look away now if you don't want to know the score) ended on something of a major cliff-hanger and it simply wouldn't have been fair to the devoted fans of the series to leave them twisting in the wind like that.

The movie would be along the same lines as the CGI 'extra' that accompanied Shenmue II (essentially all of episode one's FMV sequences strung together to bring newcomers up to date).

The decision, if indeed it is final, has not proved to be a popular one with said fans however - most of whom are so devoted to the world of Ryo Hazuki that anything less than a fully interactive game seems like a hasty way to wrap up a failed experiment.

Nonetheless, it's not all bad news for fans of Suzuki-san. It was announced yesterday that the Academy of Interactive Arts and Science has inducted the Japanese genius into its Hall Of Fame - taking residence alongside such luminaries as Will 'Sim City' Wright, John Carmack, Hironbu 'Final Fantasy' Sakaguchi, Sid Meier and the one and only Shigeru Miyamoto.

"I am greatly honoured to receive the AIAS award," commented Suzuki on hearing the news, "and I am pleased to be highly commended along with many industry visionaries."

The award will be presented to Suzuki as part of the D.I.C.E. (Design, Innovate, Communicate, Entertain) Summit in Las Vegas on February 27th, where he will be taking part in an "Audience With The Masters" workshop with fellow Hall Of Famer, Shigeru Miyamoto.

www.xboxhardcore.com

AlBoogy
01-09-2003, 10:35 PM
Im glad the game is xbox exclusive but he needs to port it to ps2. He deserves better sales then what hes gotten from shenmue 1 and 2

Cesar902
01-09-2003, 11:40 PM
Hopefully this game sells enough, so we can get to Play Shenmue 3, man It would totally suck if I don't get to play Shenmue 3, I Loved the Shenmue 2 and 1, It wouldn't be fair if Shenmue 3 won't come out as game.:(

Qbas
01-10-2003, 06:22 AM
But it seems this won't be a game anymore but a movie instead :(

Insane Jester
01-10-2003, 08:00 AM
well he did intend it to be a movie in the first place then changed his mind .. i was 100% addicted to shenmue 1 and 2 .. if he makes it into a film type game it will have ruined the whole experiance of shenmue ... but we will have to wait and see ... as we well know things said now dont mean they will be .. mybe he's said it to try and boost sales ...

Cloud Strife
01-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by AlBoogy
Im glad the game is xbox exclusive but he needs to port it to ps2. He deserves better sales then what hes gotten from shenmue 1 and 2 The problem is the Playstation 2 would have problems running the game. Any game that was on Playstation 2 and Dreamcast would always look better on Dreamcast. Playstation 2 can't do the textures of the Dreamcast.

Qbas
01-10-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
The problem is the Playstation 2 would have problems running the game. Any game that was on Playstation 2 and Dreamcast would always look better on Dreamcast. Playstation 2 can't do the textures of the Dreamcast.
If not developed well, PS2 is difficult to develop games for.

Heavens Gate
01-10-2003, 09:36 AM
Shenmue 1 and 2 are my all-time fav games. EVER !!!A movie simply wouldn't cut it now. Make the damn game already. Because the game didn't sell well isn't our fault. They have worse games that don't sell that they are making sequels to. **** that. SEGA better not **** me again

AlBoogy
01-10-2003, 10:22 AM
The problem is the Playstation 2 would have problems running the game. Any game that was on Playstation 2 and Dreamcast would always look better on Dreamcast. Playstation 2 can't do the textures of the Dreamcast.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that.

jabrre
01-10-2003, 10:36 AM
IMHO, Shenmue 3 has to come out on XBOX only. If it came out on Playstation 2 or even (gasp!) GameCube, it wouldnt even be the same and the graphics and the gameplay would suffer. The XBOX is the perfect console for the series. I do hope that other Shenmue games come out as well for the system. Imagine what the series would be like on XBOX Next in a few years!!:cool:

Cloud Strife
01-10-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by AlBoogy

I SERIOUSLY doubt that. Treasure even admited they couldn't port Ikaruga to Playstation 2 because it couldn't do Dreamcast textures. If you want to see what I'm talking about, look at games like Virtua Tennis 2K2, Test Drive LeMans, Dead or Alive 2, Rayman 2, Rez, Guilty Gear Xetc. The Dreamcast versions were much smoother and more colorful. The Playstation 2 can't do very good textrues because of the 4mb video memory compared to DC 8mb video memory.

AlBoogy
01-10-2003, 11:33 AM
Treasure even admited they couldn't port Ikaruga to Playstation 2 because it couldn't do Dreamcast textures. If you want to see what I'm talking about, look at games like Virtua Tennis 2K2, Test Drive LeMans, Dead or Alive 2, Rayman 2, Rez, Guilty Gear Xetc. The Dreamcast versions were much smoother and more colorful. The Playstation 2 can't do very good textrues because of the 4mb video memory compared to DC 8mb video memory.

I hear ya. It just seems unlikely that the ps2 cant do something the dc can. Its like saying the XBox cant do something the ps2 can. But I dont doubt your knowledge.

MerimacHamwich
01-10-2003, 11:41 AM
Both the Gamcube and Paystation 2 could most likely be able to handle this game. It doesn't look that good and it doesn't use the harddrive. Nothing would suffer if they ported it. Well maybe the textures would be a little worse on the PS2 but it wouldn't look that bad.

Cesar902
01-10-2003, 03:33 PM
Of course it will suffer if it where ported to PS2 and Gamecube, The Xbox hard drive, helps the game for faster load times, the 64MB of video enables the game to have more stuff on screen, most of all the secondary characters may seem blocky, but they have some kind of texturing, consider all the things that are on screen when playing, then add the lighting improvement, I love to play Shenmue 2 when it's night time, it just looks so much better.

I think that gameplay will suffer a lot on the other consoles, more constant loading for gamecube and PS2, then you get multiple disk on gamecube, PS2 will get longer loads and costant loads to go from scene to scene, frame rate will drope when there is a lot of people on screen considerably.

The xbox is the right console , for this game for gameplay and performance!;)

AlBoogy
01-10-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Cesar902
Of course it will suffer if it where ported to PS2 and Gamecube, The Xbox hard drive, helps the game for faster load times, the 64MB of video enables the game to have more stuff on screen, most of all the secondary characters may seem blocky, but they have some kind of texturing, consider all the things that are on screen when playing, then add the lighting improvement, I love to play Shenmue 2 when it's night time, it just looks so much better.

I think that gameplay will suffer a lot on the other consoles, more constant loading for gamecube and PS2, then you get multiple disk on gamecube, PS2 will get longer loads and costant loads to go from scene to scene, frame rate will drope when there is a lot of people on screen considerably.

The xbox is the right console , for this game for gameplay and performance!;)

Did you actually read what everyone is debating about? The debate was wether ps2 can handle what the DC can do.

Bigwig
01-11-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Shadow20002
Bad news for fans of the ponderous, yet absorbing, adventure series that began life on Sega's Dreamcast. In an interview with an American games magazine, legendary designer Yu Suzuki has suggested that he'd like to take a "different approach" for Shenmue III - specifically, he wants to turn the next chapter into a CGI-only movie.

This is in line with prophecy of course, as Suzuki had previously stated that should sales of Shenmue II prove disappointing (as was the case), the series may well be wound up far earlier than it's original eleven-chapter plan entailed. Some sort of resolution would be expected however, as Shenmue II (look away now if you don't want to know the score) ended on something of a major cliff-hanger and it simply wouldn't have been fair to the devoted fans of the series to leave them twisting in the wind like that.

The movie would be along the same lines as the CGI 'extra' that accompanied Shenmue II (essentially all of episode one's FMV sequences strung together to bring newcomers up to date).

The decision, if indeed it is final, has not proved to be a popular one with said fans however - most of whom are so devoted to the world of Ryo Hazuki that anything less than a fully interactive game seems like a hasty way to wrap up a failed experiment.

Nonetheless, it's not all bad news for fans of Suzuki-san. It was announced yesterday that the Academy of Interactive Arts and Science has inducted the Japanese genius into its Hall Of Fame - taking residence alongside such luminaries as Will 'Sim City' Wright, John Carmack, Hironbu 'Final Fantasy' Sakaguchi, Sid Meier and the one and only Shigeru Miyamoto.

"I am greatly honoured to receive the AIAS award," commented Suzuki on hearing the news, "and I am pleased to be highly commended along with many industry visionaries."

The award will be presented to Suzuki as part of the D.I.C.E. (Design, Innovate, Communicate, Entertain) Summit in Las Vegas on February 27th, where he will be taking part in an "Audience With The Masters" workshop with fellow Hall Of Famer, Shigeru Miyamoto.

www.xboxhardcore.com

"specifically, he wants to turn the next chapter into a CGI-only movie."

^^ Its cuz the next chapter is kinda bland but thats just one chapter the rest of the game will be larger then 1&2 combined and if its an Xbox game from the ground up better.

Viper87227
01-12-2003, 01:11 AM
nooooooooo. This is the biggest festering pile of crap ive ever heard. I bought dreamcast for shenmue 1. I paid $70 to import shenmue 2. I bought xbox just to play shenmue 2 again since i stupidly sold my DC. I knew Suzuki was ginna rush the series a bit (it was origianly planed as 46 chapters, each game being only one chapter, as the 1st game was chapter 1, but he made the 2nd chapers 2-5, and was going to make Shenmue III, IV, V, VI ans so on more than on chaper aswell). Now he is basically going to destroy the greatest gaming series to every exist, and I still want more, Shenmue II just kinda stopped, the story still needs to be finished, and as a game not a CGI movie.

I though I was mad when Shenmue II was canned for a U.S. release on DC, but this is the worst piece of gaming news I have ever heard. I don't understand how one of the greatest game creators (and now a half-o-famer) can continously dissapoint his diehard fans like this.

I hope to god Yu Suzuki doesn't go through with this. I would disown all his products from my gaming collection and boycott anything else he makes. I know to most of you all my whining may sound stupid, but Shenmue was my game. I can't really describe it, but playing that game left a mark. There just isn't gaming without Shenmue.

Cloud Strife
01-12-2003, 07:04 PM
I think that is wrong to boycott AM2. They are some of the best developers in the world. I couldn't live without them. However, I don't like them anywhere near as much as Sonic Team and Smilebit.

Viper87227
01-12-2003, 07:44 PM
I agree with you. Am2 makes exelent games. They are perfect, but at the same time, no game developer has thrown me as many disappointments as they have, it it just ****es me off.

Cloud Strife
01-12-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Viper87227
I agree with you. Am2 makes exelent games. They are perfect, but at the same time, no game developer has thrown me as many disappointments as they have, it it just ****es me off. If you want to know a developer that has showed me more dissaointemtns than anything, it would be Squaresoft. I either bought or rented these games I was disappinted in: FFVIII, FFX, Legend of Mana, Chrono Cross, Saga Frontier, Saga Frontier 2, Brave Fencer Musashi, Parasite Eve, Ehgeiz (althought is was made by DF), Threads of Fate, Chocobo Racing, Einhander, The Bouncer, Driving Emotion, Kingdom Hearts, and Chocobo's Dungeon Keeper. I did like FFVII, FFIX, and Xenogears though.

xboxman_1
01-12-2003, 08:09 PM
You guys are in luck. Gamespydaily just said that there will be no Shenmue III film. Here you go. (http://www.gamespydaily.com/) Its the first thing in the list.

Viper87227
01-12-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by xboxman_1
You guys are in luck. Gamespydaily just said that there will be no Shenmue III film. Here you go. (http://www.gamespydaily.com/) Its the first thing in the list.

Xboxman_1... I LOVE YOU ;) Hehe j/k :D

I hope that this is true and that eventaully I will be playing Shenmue VI on my Xbox 2 (they better change the name back from next by then)

Bigwig
01-12-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Bigwig

"specifically, he wants to turn the next chapter into a CGI-only movie."

^^ Its cuz the next chapter is kinda bland but thats just one chapter the rest of the game will be larger then 1&2 combined and if its an Xbox game from the ground up better.

Do I have to quote myself the game is going to be larger then 1 & 2 they are only making a movie for one chapter.