PDA

View Full Version : MGS 2: Substance. No skating for PC/Xbox

Qbas
01-10-2003, 08:54 PM
As revealed months ago, one of the myriad bonuses found in Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance is a "Snakeboarding" section, where Solid Snake gets to grind, flip and jump around environments from the classic stealth title on a skateboard. Awesome.
But while PS2 owners can access this from the options screen, PC and Xbox owners inexplicably lose out, with the skateboarding section - based on the Evolution Skateboarding engine - a PS2 exclusive. Gutted. When contacted, a spokesperson for Konami was unable to give a reason for this.

But while PS2 owners skim across the Big Shell, Xbox and PC gamers can still look forward to a brilliantly polished, entertaining title. Besides, it's far better to get your own skateboard then go break all your bones and cut yourself to ribbons. Chicks dig that kinda thing.

Aww this is crap :(

Cloud Strife
01-10-2003, 09:24 PM
Who cares. The took it out because Evolution Skateboarding wasn't on Xbox. The game has horrible anyway.

Qbas
01-10-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
Who cares. The took it out because Evolution Skateboarding wasn't on Xbox. The game has horrible anyway.
Well it would have been great to have all features in Substance but i guess not then.

Liquid Gears
01-10-2003, 10:32 PM
It's one of the best games ever made. Personally, I think the thing that makes a game great is its story line and MGS2 has the best story line I've ever seen in a video game. It's practically a movie! I think Substance is wicked, it's one of my favorite video games of all time. Who cares if it has no skateboarding!

Cloud Strife
01-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears
It's one of the best games ever made. Personally, I think the thing that makes a game great is its story line and MGS2 has the best story line I've ever seen in a video game. It's practically a movie! I think Substance is wicked, it's one of my favorite video games of all time. Who cares if it has no skateboarding! I definately agree with you that MGS2 Substance has an excellent story. However, I give the edge in the story department to Hideo Kojima's other game Zone of the Enders. I can't tell you how many times I played throught the game to listen to the story. The game had and excellent opening and ending. The ending was very sad indeed.;) Zone of the Enders is one of the only reason I touch my Playstation 2.

I want to buy MGS2 Substance, but I own Metal Gear Solid 2 for Playstation 2. It's one of the few that gets me to play it.

Liquid Gears
01-10-2003, 10:43 PM
I definately agree with you that MGS2 Substance has an excellent story. However, I give the edge in the story department to Hideo Kojima's other game Zone of the Enders. I can't tell you how many times I played throught the game to listen to the story. The game had and excellent opening and ending. The ending was very sad indeed.;)

That's the game that had the "Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty" demo with it. I remember that, cause ones of my friends was telling me about it once. Also, cause it was advertised so much.

I've never played Zone of the Enders, wish I have :( That game looks wicked!! It reminds me of Virtua On and Gundam Wing :)

Cloud Strife
01-10-2003, 10:52 PM

That's the game that had the "Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty" demo with it. I remember that, cause ones of my friends was telling me about it once. Also, cause it was advertised so much.

I've never played Zone of the Enders, wish I have :( That game looks wicked!! It reminds me of Virtua On and Gundam Wing :) I wrote about it in your PM. The game was really great. I know you would like it.;) I'm going to write about ZOE on my website and the Three Great Games of the Week Page.

I do own Virtual On for Dreamcast.:)

Liquid Gears
01-10-2003, 11:45 PM
I wrote about it in your PM. The game was really great. I know you would like it.;) I'm going to write about ZOE on my website and the Three Great Games of the Week Page.

I do own Virtual On for Dreamcast.:)

You own Virtual On??!!!! Holy sh*t!!! That is one of me & my brothers favorite arcade games of all time!!! Lucky Guy!

Arrix
01-10-2003, 11:46 PM
It was fun and all but, you dont really get to find everything out about the Patriots. Storylines like that really annoy me.

Liquid Gears
01-10-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Arrix
It was fun and all but, you dont really get to find everything out about the Patriots. Storylines like that really annoy me.

You do know there's gonna be a Metal Gear Solid 3 right? Hmm.......I wonder why they did that to the story line? :rolleyes:

And NO, that's is what makes the story line good. So quit your complaining.

Cloud Strife
01-11-2003, 09:03 AM

You own Virtual On??!!!! Holy sh*t!!! That is one of me & my brothers favorite arcade games of all time!!! Lucky Guy! I own several arcade games.

I can't tell you how badly I want to go to an arcade right now. My last chance at the arcade was May 2002. All the Seniors at my old High School made a trip to Cedar Point, after I was done riding the rollercoasters, I spent my time in the arcade playing fighting games. I did play Virtual On while I was there.

Maybe I'll go to where the drom rooms are at my college and play Street Fighter 2 Turbo.;)

Snoopy7548
01-11-2003, 10:09 AM
my friend has virtual on for his computer. it came with it i think

Cloud Strife
01-11-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
my friend has virtual on for his computer. it came with it i think I have a few Sega games for my PC. I remember since Sega's games sold poorly on Saturn, they ported them to PC.

Liquid Gears
01-11-2003, 04:41 PM
I have a few Sega games for my PC. I remember since Sega's games sold poorly on Saturn, they ported them to PC.

Maaaan :(

Is there any site I can get at least the demos for the Sega/PC games? Like Virtual On?

Cloud Strife
01-11-2003, 04:43 PM

Maaaan :(

Is there any site I can get at least the demos for the Sega/PC games? Like Virtual On? I'm not too sure. I own a bunch of Sega PC titles.

Hey LG, I went through my videogame collection and I have about 70 games that were in the arcade also.

Liquid Gears
01-11-2003, 04:46 PM
I'm not too sure. I own a bunch of Sega PC titles.

Hey LG, I went through my videogame collection and I have about 70 games that were in the arcade also.

Your so lucky man. I wish I was a smarter game buyer back in the day, so I could have all the sweet arcade games too.

Does anyone know where I can download PC games? Not the demos, the full versions.

Cloud Strife
01-11-2003, 04:49 PM

Your so lucky man. I wish I was a smarter game buyer back in the day, so I could have all the sweet arcade games too.

Does anyone know where I can download PC games? Not the demos, the full versions. I don't know about downloading. I will admit though that I'm not a very smart videogame buyer. I've had over $5,000U.S. wasted on videogames and systems I didn't like. The main reason why I have all those Arcade game is because my area is filled with stores that carry Dreamcast, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, etc. games.

Viper87227
01-12-2003, 12:58 AM

You own Virtual On??!!!! Holy sh*t!!! That is one of me & my brothers favorite arcade games of all time!!! Lucky Guy!

I had it but sold it along with my Dreamcast. I hated that game tho, only playing it like twice. I also don't 2/3 Gundam games on PS2 (havnt played Fed. V ZX or whatever it is), but I love ZOE. They are very different games in my opinion. Virtua On didnt really have a story, and the gundam games just werent fun, but ZOE got it all right. I love paying that game for hours and hours. THe feeling of looking at the clock when it says 3 a.m. and thinking that it felt like 10 p.m. five mintues ago is the coolest thing ever, it just means the game is good enough to completly suck you in.

Liquid Gears
01-12-2003, 01:03 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I think Zone Of The Enders should come to the XBox. Or Zone Of The Enders 2 if they make another one.

Cloud Strife
01-12-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Viper87227

I had it but sold it along with my Dreamcast. I hated that game tho, only playing it like twice. I also don't 2/3 Gundam games on PS2 (havnt played Fed. V ZX or whatever it is), but I love ZOE. They are very different games in my opinion. Virtua On didnt really have a story, and the gundam games just werent fun, but ZOE got it all right. I love paying that game for hours and hours. THe feeling of looking at the clock when it says 3 a.m. and thinking that it felt like 10 p.m. five mintues ago is the coolest thing ever, it just means the game is good enough to completly suck you in. I will agree with you on that. However, I do like Virtual On. The story isn't important in that game to me. Also, Tech Romancer was a great Mech game with a good sotry on DC. Zone of the Enders is my favorite Playstation 2 game. I've beaten it several times but its the game I can't stop playing. I purchased it for $15 brand new also. The only games that come close on Playstation 2 to me is: Devil May Cry, Ratchet & Clank, and Guilty Gear X.

And Liquid Gears, there is a sequel to Zone of the Enders coming out in March. I did hear the possibilty of an Xbox version but it has the same chances as Suikoden III does of making it to Xbox.

Insane Jester
01-12-2003, 05:24 PM
well xbox games usally have more in then than ps2/gamecube/pc games do.. so u have to give a little ...

EHWfedPres
01-12-2003, 05:28 PM
I think MGS2:S is hampered down by more cinematic moments than actual gameplay...you could sit and stare at the tv for 3 hours and play only 15 minutes of it...its pathetic. If I wanted to see a movie, i'd go to the Cinemark and pay my $7.50...but not in a video game...

Liquid Gears
01-12-2003, 05:29 PM
And Liquid Gears, there is a sequel to Zone of the Enders coming out in March. I did hear the possibilty of an Xbox version but it has the same chances as Suikoden III does of making it to Xbox.

Are you serious?! That's sweet! Thanks for the info, man. Do you happen to know the release date, you know.....so I can put it on my site :D

Cloud Strife
01-12-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
I think MGS2:S is hampered down by more cinematic moments than actual gameplay...you could sit and stare at the tv for 3 hours and play only 15 minutes of it...its pathetic. If I wanted to see a movie, i'd go to the Cinemark and pay my $7.50...but not in a video game... I think the cinemas are excellent in MGS2 Substance. That is why I like it better than Splinter Cell since I enjoy watching cutscenes and a big linear storyline. However, I rather watch a cinematic videogame then go to the movie theater because it's not the same.

And Liquid Gears, an Xbox version hasn't been announced. I've just heard about Konami considering releasing an Xbox version.

Liquid Gears
01-12-2003, 08:54 PM
And Liquid Gears, an Xbox version hasn't been announced. I've just heard about Konami considering releasing an Xbox version.

I'm gonna buy it on release day if it does come to XBox

EHWfedPres
01-12-2003, 08:58 PM
it's not the same.

You're right...going to the movies to watch a movie is much better...:D

Xbox Owner
01-12-2003, 09:07 PM
heh, yeah. Man..I thought the skating was cool, too.:(

Liquid Gears
01-12-2003, 09:09 PM

You're right...going to the movies to watch a movie is much better...:D

Animated cinematic movies in a theatre?? Are you sure about that? You must have really liked that Final Fantasy movie :D

Cloud Strife
01-12-2003, 09:13 PM

You're right...going to the movies to watch a movie is much better...:D I don't agree with that. However, I did by Sky Gunner for Playstation 2 just to watch the opening anime cutscene. I love to watch anime cutscenes with Japanese voices singing. ;)

EHWfedPres
01-13-2003, 11:18 AM

Animated cinematic movies in a theatre?? Are you sure about that? You must have really liked that Final Fantasy movie :D

No, i mean all movies in general. I dont want a movie in a video game, i pay money to play games, not watch them.

Cloud Strife
01-13-2003, 07:18 PM

No, i mean all movies in general. I dont want a movie in a video game, i pay money to play games, not watch them. Does that explain why you don't like Playstation very much? I think cinemas in a videogame make the game more interesting and it gives me a good feeling. Some cutscenes in games have given me emotions, like make me cry.;) Zone of the Enders did.

SlightlySycho
01-13-2003, 08:22 PM
I could care less about the skateboarding segments. What chafes me is that they cut out the Snake half of the main quest they were supposed to have. I'll admit that the original Metal Gear Solid 2 with additional missions is better than nothing . . . but I really wanted to play as Solid Snake, not some winy rookie.

I like MGS2. I really, really do. It's spent the most time in my XBox since Morrowind. But I don't think it lives up to the first Solid game. Given, the gameplay is much more refined . . . but the sequences (much less the story) don't seem to hold a candle to Shadow Moses. Of course, Metal Gear Solid did set the bar pretty high. But I can't help but feel that Sons of Liberty got a bit rushed.

And the gripe that the game seems to have more cutscenes than actually game time is valid. Particularly since you can't pause the cut sequences (if I had a nickel for every time I realized I had to use the bathroom just as a cutscene was beginning:(). But what gets to me is that most of those cutscenes seem to take place over the Codec . . . meaning alot of the time you're just watching two talking fluorescent green heads. I'm guessing it was either easier to sync up the dialogue and lip movements in the Codec or that it saved time from fully rendering the cutscenes (or both). Once again, it just feels cheap to me.::confused:

But, once again, pound for pound I thought Metal Gear Solid Substance was a great game. It just didn't live up to my hopes.

EHWfedPres
01-13-2003, 08:24 PM
Does that explain why you don't like Playstation very much? I think cinemas in a videogame make the game more interesting and it gives me a good feeling. Some cutscenes in games have given me emotions, like make me cry.;) Zone of the Enders did.

No, I dont like the ps2 because of the bite-size controller and the cheap a$$ games that do not appeal to me...