PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think Is Better Morrowind Or Final Fantasy?

HAROLD
01-10-2003, 11:42 PM
WHAT DO YOU THINK IS BETTER MORROWIND OR FINAL FANTASY? :confused:

Dulacc
01-21-2003, 07:44 AM
They each have good and bad.

As far as storyline is concerned, there is nothing better than Final Fantasy. Period.

As far as free action is concerned, Morrowind kills FF.

As far as challenge is concerned, I think FF is a bit more challenging.

As far as replayability is concerned, I think Morrowind has the advantage.

As to which I like better, I would say Morrowind simply because I have an Xbox, not a PS2. If FF came out on the Xbox(which will never happen), things might change.

EHWfedPres
01-21-2003, 11:42 AM
Morrowind is an rpg, Final Fantasy games are fantasy action/adventure games.

Morrowind is better. :)

EHWfedPres
01-21-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
Actually, you got it the other way around. Morrowind is an action adventure because you fight in real time. Turn based gameplay is a real RPG game.:)

Actually, Morrowind is the rpg because you get to develop your own character like in the original rpg pen and paper games...having a set plot with linear gameplay is without a doubt a recipie for an action/adventure game.

Dulacc
01-21-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
Actually, Morrowind is the rpg because you get to develop your own character like in the original rpg pen and paper games...having a set plot with linear gameplay is without a doubt a recipie for an action/adventure game.

Since when is a plotline a negating factor in determination of a rpg? A rpg is just what it is, a role-playing game. You play a role. That's it. RPG's can have a very strict plotline to follow, or be free-flowing. When you argue that a linear, plot based game is not an rpg, your showing that you don't know what rpg means.

Your argument is invalid.

just some guy
01-22-2003, 08:08 AM
oh my god. Why are people wasting their time trying to apply logic to a discussion about video games. Who cares. Just play them, their both good. :D

Besides the question was which is better, not which is an rpg. I honestly don't think it matters though, their both fun i think but it really just comes down to personal preference.

EHWfedPres
01-22-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Dulacc
Since when is a plotline a negating factor in determination of a rpg? A rpg is just what it is, a role-playing game. You play a role. That's it. RPG's can have a very strict plotline to follow, or be free-flowing. When you argue that a linear, plot based game is not an rpg, your showing that you don't know what rpg means.

Your argument is invalid.

You are 100% dead wrong.

By that logic, Max Payne, Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil, Halo, Splinter Cell, and Devil May Cry are all rpg's as well because you play the role of a character. :rolleyes:

Weapon upgrades and a level system does not have any bearing on the fact that you do not play the role of your own character, doing what you want to do, how you want to do it, and whenever you want to do it...because that was the whole idea behind rpg's from the start...to develop your own character and do whatever you want with that person. You have just proven that you know nothing about rpg's. :o

Arrix
01-22-2003, 04:24 PM
I'd have to agree with EHWfedPres.

EHWfedPres
01-22-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Arrix
I'd have to agree with EHWfedPres.

Thankx. :)

Arrix
01-22-2003, 08:45 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=role-playing%20game

It doesnt say anything about Linear adventure

starwarstrek
01-22-2003, 09:40 PM
I can't really say anything about Final Fantasy because the only one of those I played was Final Fantasy VII for the PlayStation. Therefore, I don't really know how good or bad the other Final Fantasy games are.
I personally really enjoy Morrowind.

just some guy
01-23-2003, 10:35 AM
LOL, ah man, i still really love that first Sonic. What a fun game.

RudedogX
01-23-2003, 01:59 PM
It doesn't surprise me much that BR loves FF seein' as he's an anime freak and all, but to say that Morrowind is not an RPG because it is non-linear is ridiculous and only proves your ignorance. Both games are RPGs, but both are uniquely different in their set-up!

In the case of Morrowind, it a free-flowing RPG where you can make your own decisions, fight creatures where you see fit, and actually dictate the flow of the game by your own will and not that of someone else's.

In the case of FF, it is a linear, well designed RPG where you are on a set path.

In both cases though, you build up your character as you go. You make them more and more powerful until they are capable of destroying the 'big bad'.

In terms of Graphics, FF blows Morrowind out of the water.

In terms of gameplay, it's a draw seeing as how you will have different people wanting to play free-flowing, while others will want to play on a linear set path.

In terms of the ability to watch your character grow, I would have to go with Morrowind, since people will begin to act differently around you and you can go back and visit places that you were previously, and they will remember you. You can't do this as readily in most FF games since it is a linear base.

In the end, both games have pluses and minuses, and it comes down to taste...

But both games are RPGs!

EHWfedPres
01-24-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by rudedogX
In the case of FF, it is a linear, well designed RPG where you are on a set path.

In both cases though, you build up your character as you go.

No, you build up the character than the game gives you in Final Fantasy...meaning its just a Fantasy Action/Adventure game.

RudedogX
01-24-2003, 11:47 AM
No, you build up the character than the game gives you in Final Fantasy...meaning its just a Fantasy Action/Adventure game.
It is true that you do not get to choose what character you start out with in Final Fantasy, but you still have the ability to build the character up as you learn the skills. In most RPGs, this is one of the key elements. It comes down to the fact that different areas have different definitions of what makes an RPG.

Again, I'm not much of a fan of most Japanese style RPGs, but that does not make them any less of an RPG.

EHWfedPres
01-24-2003, 12:46 PM
It is true that you do not get to choose what character you start out with in Final Fantasy, but you still have the ability to build the character up as you learn the skills. In most RPGs, this is one of the key elements. It comes down to the fact that different areas have different definitions of what makes an RPG.

Again, I'm not much of a fan of most Japanese style RPGs, but that does not make them any less of an RPG.

Building up a character does not make a game an rpg. There are tons of games where you can imporve your characters and they are not considered rpg's.

You have to think back to when rpg's first started, with the pen and paper games...and the reason people played those games is to develop their own character and basically live that characters live, doing what they want, when they want, and however they want.

RudedogX
01-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Building up a character does not make a game an rpg. There are tons of games where you can imporve your characters and they are not considered rpg's.

You have to think back to when rpg's first started, with the pen and paper games...and the reason people played those games is to develop their own character and basically live that characters live, doing what they want, when they want, and however they want.

Instead of continuing to debate this, I'll just repeat what I said earlier...

It comes down to the fact that different areas (as in different countries), have different definitions of what makes an RPG.
;)

thedrisc
01-24-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted Burning Ranger I'm glad to see someone else gets my point. Morrowind ain't no RPG game. An RPG games is where you play as an already made character and you folow his adventure in a linear plot. Using commads in battles also define an RPG game.

So your saying Dungeons and Dragons is not a Role Playing Game? The mother of all RPGs were you make the character you want give them the stats you desire etc etc....

You can have your characters act any way you want. Good bad or indifferent. You do follow a story line but the characters can go whatever direction you want just like in Morrowind. So Morrowind is absolutely a RPG.

thedrisc
01-24-2003, 03:32 PM
sorry rudedogx had that other reply open for 2 hours and fogot to submit it. good ending to debate

EHWfedPres
01-24-2003, 07:25 PM
Building your level up means it's an RPG games. A game is not a real RPG if the combat is real time. Real time is an action title. Also, an RPG has to do with a young hero out to save the world. An RPG games is also suppossed to have lots of text and even cutscenes when possible.

I hate to say it, but you are wrong. If this was Japan, then you would still be wrong, but your answer would be accepted.

rudedog, different places in the world have different takes on many things, but japaneese people and rpg's...they are totally wrong. Just like with english people and the term "moshers"...

rwingd23
01-25-2003, 02:00 PM
i think an rpg is a free flowing smooth game unlike action adventure games like max payne and the where you and a set path to go and set things to do and you have missions/cahpters to complete

Morrowing Lord
01-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by just some guy
oh my god. Why are people wasting their time trying to apply logic to a discussion about video games. Who cares. Just play them, their both good. :D

Besides the question was which is better, not which is an rpg. I honestly don't think it matters though, their both fun i think but it really just comes down to personal preference.

hes right this is an opinion poll not a facts poll

RudedogX
01-27-2003, 08:28 AM
I just thought of a better defination for an RPG game. I game is not an RPG game if there is no HP meter. During a real RPG game, your suppossed to start out with a certain HP level like 100/100 points. An enemy hit you, your down to 92/100 HP. There is also an MP level that refers to Magic Point. Just a lifebar with no HP or MP points is not an RPG games, in my opinion.;)

You do realize that with that definition, you have just confirmed that Morrowind is indeed an RPG, right? Morrowind has those factors, they are just not as obvious since they are in a submenu that is also easy too access you and you can in the middle of a fight.

Also, EHW, you forgot how the english call erasers...rubbers and in the US, well....:eek:

Either way, again, it comes down to the geographic mindset of someone as to what an RPG is.:rolleyes:

Reamis
01-29-2003, 01:56 PM
Morrowind and Final Fantasy are both rpgs. rudedogX was right its diffrent areas that make the games how they are. Morrowind which is a western rpg is more traditional and more of an rpg, its an rpg like how the older rpgs were like dungeons and dragons. Final Fantasy is a Japanese rpg which are pretty far from the tradiotional rpg. I personally like japanese rpgs more but traditional rpgs are cool too

id just like to add BURNING RANGER IS A FLAMING RETARD turn off the anime its getting to your head

Arrix
01-29-2003, 02:47 PM
I dont think a game can be classified by HP meter.

Hellpig
01-29-2003, 02:51 PM
How many characters did you generate in FF? NONE therefore it is not a true RPG it is just a kids action/adventure game with absolutly no depth just cool graphics.It is not even comparable to Morrowind they are 2 different games.

DreamShifter
01-29-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Reamis
Morrowind and Final Fantasy are both rpgs. rudedogX was right its diffrent areas that make the games how they are. Morrowind which is a western rpg is more traditional and more of an rpg, its an rpg like how the older rpgs were like dungeons and dragons. Final Fantasy is a Japanese rpg which are pretty far from the tradiotional rpg.

Well put. And welcome Hellpig, but don't say FF isn't a RPG, that's just gonna get Burning Ranger all hyped up again.

EHWfedPres
01-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by DreamShifter
Well put. And welcome Hellpig, but don't say FF isn't a RPG, that's just gonna get Burning Ranger all hyped up again.

Ok. Final Fantasy is not a REAL rpg. Its the Japanese version of an rpg, which in fact is just a fantasy action/adventure game.

Arrix
01-29-2003, 04:44 PM
I dont understand how u can say only a race has a true hardcore gamers.

RudedogX
01-30-2003, 02:05 PM
Japanese people know what a real RPG game is because their the true hardcore gamers.:)

Excuse me for what I am about to say...

[RANT]
I told you once before that a hardcore gamer is not defined by the game they play or their nationality! All you're doing there is making a flat out blanket (and ignorant) statement that anyone of Japanese descent is a hardcore gamer. Now you see, that to me is very funny since you claim to be a hardcore gamer, yet seeing as most of us have seen pictures of you, and it is painfully obvious that you are not japanese...well, you just got caught in another lie! Add to that, that most everyone that I know that is Japanese should be a hardcore gamer, when in fact almost all of the guys that I know that are Japanese...HATE videogames!

I don't mean to come off as an ass hole here, but let's face it, you make some of the most ignorant statements that I have ever seen! You are not a fan boy in the sense that you favor one system or the other, however you are a fanboy of your own deluded world! The funny thing is...this world that you live in is not even real! You live in a freakin' fantasy world! Have you once had a real experience? Almost everything that I have ever seen you write has been woulda coulda shoulda experiences!

Bottom line...Get out. Go see the world. Put down the anime and get REAL!
[/RANT!]

DZNUTZ
01-30-2003, 02:07 PM

[RANT]
I told you once before that a hardcore gamer is not defined by the game they play or their nationality! All you're doing there is making a flat out blanket (and ignorant) statement that anyone of Japanese descent is a hardcore gamer. Now you see, that to me is very funny since you claim to be a hardcore gamer, yet seeing as most of us have seen pictures of you, and it is painfully obvious that you are not japanese...well, you just got caught in another lie! Add to that, that most everyone that I know that is Japanese should be a hardcore gamer, when in fact almost all of the guys that I know that are Japanese...HATE videogames!

I don't mean to come off as an ass hole here, but let's face it, you make some of the most ignorant statements that I have ever seen! You are not a fan boy in the sense that you favor one system or the other, however you are a fanboy of your own deluded world! The funny thing is...this world that you live in is not even real! You live in a freakin' fantasy world! Have you once had a real experience? Almost everything that I have ever seen you write has been woulda coulda shoulda experiences!

[/RANT!]

well put

Ninja Scroll
01-30-2003, 02:21 PM

[RANT]

[/RANT!]

Ahhhh, an RDX O.G. Rant... classic!;)

btw, Burning STD Power Ranger is a 100% pure grade F Jackass!:rolleyes:

You have got to be da most ignorant fool I have ever seen in XBA.
And dats no jokin either.

just some guy
01-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Yeah i'd have to agree also. I saw in another post that kid say he prefered animated girls over real ones...

That, BR, is a sign you need to get out and experience the real world a bit.

EHWfedPres
01-30-2003, 04:08 PM
Japanese people know what a real RPG game is because their the true hardcore gamers.:)

If japanese people knew anything at all, they would know what a real rpg is...and they do not. Neither do you.

TheCovenant
02-03-2003, 03:56 PM
It doesn't surprise me much that BR loves FF seein' as he's an anime freak and all, but to say that Morrowind is not an RPG because it is non-linear is ridiculous and only proves your ignorance. Both games are RPGs, but both are uniquely different in their set-up!

In the case of Morrowind, it a free-flowing RPG where you can make your own decisions, fight creatures where you see fit, and actually dictate the flow of the game by your own will and not that of someone else's.

In both cases though, you build up your character as you go. You make them more and more powerful until they are capable of destroying the 'big bad'.

In terms of Graphics, FF blows Morrowind out of the water.

In terms of gameplay, it's a draw seeing as how you will have different people wanting to play free-flowing, while others will want to play on a linear set path.

In terms of the ability to watch your character grow, I would have to go with Morrowind, since people will begin to act differently around you and you can go back and visit places that you were previously, and they will remember you. You can't do this as readily in most FF games since it is a linear base.

In the end, both games have pluses and minuses, and it comes down to taste...

But both games are RPGs!

hallelujah!

why is it that only the mods seem to have a grasp on the video game world, and most everyone else seems ignorant?